Bob Huggins could be in big trouble

Practically miraculous that no one was immediately harmed and how he has performed at the top of his profession as an alcoholic in as deep as it seems.

I have known or encountered my share of people who classify as "functioning" alcoholics. meaning that they drink to excess but still manage to handle themselves well enough to hold down a job and function in society.

in essence, you 'learn' how to survive with a relative minimum of consequences. often helps to have enablers - people who will make excuses for bad behavior or look the other way. and a D1 basketball coach has plenty of potential enablers.

some people hear "alcoholic" and they picture a wino sitting on the curb with a bottle in a paper bag. well, some alcoholics - quite a few of them - have jobs and families and they get by until or unless something really bad happens and they are forced to deal with more serious consequences.

I have known or encountered my share of people who classify as "functioning" alcoholics. meaning that they drink to excess but still manage to handle themselves well enough to hold down a job and function in society.

in essence, you 'learn' how to survive with a relative minimum of consequences. often helps to have enablers - people who will make excuses for bad behavior or look the other way. and a D1 basketball coach has plenty of potential enablers.

some people hear "alcoholic" and they picture a wino sitting on the curb with a bottle in a paper bag. well, some alcoholics - quite a few of them - have jobs and families and they get by until or unless something really bad happens and they are forced to deal with more serious consequences.
Much of Congress is what you described

Someone has 2 DUI's 20 years apart and for that they are consider an alcoholic. I love it. LOL

Who is Adam Crowley? Do the portal rules allow them to leave with coaching change at this late date?

saw a tweet claiming that players have 30 days to enter the portal after a coaching change. I tried to find some confirmation online and so far, coming up empty.

He must have been drunk if he went to Burger King.
You ripping on char-broiled goodness?

As for Huggins, I'm a bit torn as a former heavy-drinker myself that never kept a trashbag full of empties in the passenger seat of my car, but somehow managed to put the cork in the bottle almost 40 years ago. That said, I can't believe that Huggins got this far without a lot of enablers who basically looked the other way.

On the cosmic scale of sadness, I don't really see this as registering a blip. It would have been sad if he had killed someone, but this is just an example of an entitled guy who royally f*cked up, embarrassed himself mightily, and will pay a price. If there's a sadness, is that no one sat him down and told him to pump the brakes. Someone told me that almost 40 years ago and I am forever indebted.

Who is Adam Crowley? Do the portal rules allow them to leave with coaching change at this late date?
entering the portal after the deadline date (and you're not a graduate transfer) means you'd have to get a waiver so as not to sit out one year. Having your coach leave may qualify

new rule guidance per the ncaa:
“An undergraduate transfer waiver will only be considered for student-athletes who transfer for reasons related to the student-athlete’s physical or mental health and well-being; due to exigent circumstances outside the student-athlete’s control (e.g., physical or sexual assault or discrimination based on a protected class); or assertions involving diagnosed education impacting disabilities.”

entering the portal after the deadline date (and you're not a graduate transfer) means you'd have to get a waiver so as not to sit out one year. Having your coach leave may qualify

new rule guidance per the ncaa:
“An undergraduate transfer waiver will only be considered for student-athletes who transfer for reasons related to the student-athlete’s physical or mental health and well-being; due to exigent circumstances outside the student-athlete’s control (e.g., physical or sexual assault or discrimination based on a protected class); or assertions involving diagnosed education impacting disabilities.”
I’m not sure coach leaving is mental health trauma the way I think of it. If guys bolt, my guess is that they push the alcoholism angle. Random decision makers will likely come up with different decisions for different players.

You ripping on char-broiled goodness?

As for Huggins, I'm a bit torn as a former heavy-drinker myself that never kept a trashbag full of empties in the passenger seat of my car, but somehow managed to put the cork in the bottle almost 40 years ago. That said, I can't believe that Huggins got this far without a lot of enablers who basically looked the other way.

On the cosmic scale of sadness, I don't really see this as registering a blip. It would have been sad if he had killed someone, but this is just an example of an entitled guy who royally f*cked up, embarrassed himself mightily, and will pay a price. If there's a sadness, is that no one sat him down and told him to pump the brakes. Someone told me that almost 40 years ago and I am forever indebted.

I do not think to be termed "sad" that someone had to be killed or injured.

Also, when I deemed it "sad" I was including the radio incident from a few weeks ago. Additionally, it's not just sad for Huggins but also his family, players, staff, alums and fans for it to end this way, all of whom were impacted in an instant.

He was the active NCAA leader in victories for men's basketball. 26 NCAA berths. 2 Final 4s. Head Coach of his alma mater. To go out in this embarrassing fashion that's sad in my viewpoint, regardless if I or you have any pity for the situation Huggy put himself in.

Bob Knight. Clem Haskins. Both sad. Gene Keady, also sad, though not self destructive nor a scandal. By sad, I mean I feel sorrow for the entire situation.

Congrats to you on pumping the breaks nearly 40 years ago. Good on you.

Last edited:

Top Bottom