Bishop in the transfer portal

We can always use the depth, but Beanie struggled quite a bit last season. Maybe Stapp has beaten him out?

He also came in as a lauded kick returner, and then never returned a kick or a punt last year.
I don't remember him struggling, but I don't remember him as a major difference maker either, which probably means he was solid for a CB. I think we have some players that can step up like Stapp, Fleming, and Pless, they have plenty of seasoning, and Watson flashed as a promising young player as well.

No guarantee he's gone yet, with the transfer portal the way it's been and the weird nature of the situation it wouldn't surprise me if he just looks around a bit and leaves the portal if he can't find any higher-quality programs who want him. He's most likely got a starting position or at the very least more playing time if he sticks around, so it wouldn't be very surprising to me if he takes the decision back and sticks with what he's got. Regardless, all we can do is wait and see.

He is striking while the iron is still hot. If not for a better NIL, he can up his draft stock by going elsewhere to a premier program. That is my two cents' worth. It is a bummer for the Gophers. Why was it so late to announce his decision?
Zero chance that is his reasoning. Our secondary helped developed AWJr. into a bonafide stud, and took St-Juste from a medical retirement to a 3rd rounder. Terrell Smith is about to get drafted after a great senior year and all star game. Howden went from a walk on to a guy that is going to get a chance at an NFL camp somewhere (at a minimum), and Walley will be in the NFL in the next 2 years.

No guarantee he's gone yet, with the transfer portal the way it's been and the weird nature of the situation it wouldn't surprise me if he just looks around a bit and leaves the portal if he can't find any higher-quality programs who want him. He's most likely got a starting position or at the very least more playing time if he sticks around, so it wouldn't be very surprising to me if he takes the decision back and sticks with what he's got. Regardless, all we can do is wait and see.
PJ doesn't seem like the type to wait patiently while players test the waters.

This is certainly possible.

But it just doesn't seem like a thing that would realistically need to be done?

It would seem like you could use backdoor channels to put feelers out, if specific programs are interested in you.

Doing it this way .... you go public to your coaches and teammates like "oh hey guys, I'm trying to do better than you all, so I'm just looking around. If I find something better, I'm out. But if not, I'll totally stay!"

I don't think that works very well?

PJ doesn't seem like the type to wait patiently while players test the waters.
Nor is the school required to honor his scholarship.

Granted at this point in the semester, the bills have probably already been paid. I doubt they're going to yank him out of classes. He can probably finish this semester as he pleases, even if he isn't on the team.

I just don't get why, if you're going to be here the rest of the semester, you wouldn't at least go through spring ball. I guess there must be good reasons.

I wouldnt say there is zero chance...but the probability that he comes back is about as low as you can get imho. If we were desperate to fill his position then maybe, but we arent. And truth is while he was pretty solid he is not irreplaceable.

I hope he finds a good place to land.

just throwing this out as a point of discussion:

this is the 4th DB to leave via the portal: Dixon, Glaze, Ortiz and now Bishop.

all four may be for completely unrelated reasons - or there may be some connecting thread that we're not seeing. But I am not a big believer in coincidences. Things tend to happen for a reason.

all four may be for completely unrelated reasons - or there may be some connecting thread that we're not seeing. But I am not a big believer in coincidences. Things tend to happen for a reason.
Especially with Dixon and Bishop. These are two important players/starters.

Guys have to transfer to make the roster numbers work....DB is a position where we have some solid depth (14 on the roster even after the transfers out).

We could go hunting for some big deeper meaning but with the way guys transfer right now that feels like a lot of wasted effort in my opinions :)

Especially with Dixon and Bishop. These are two important players/starters.
Walley and Nubin are locks to start. Henderson was brought in as a transfer and likely to start. Bryson and Green looked great in the bowl game. Stapp is still here and there are a number of young DBs that are hitting the point where they can be expected to start making an impact.

Yes it is frustrating to see guys leave who might have been in the mix but it isn't like we are staring at a bare cupboard with those two gone.

I wouldnt say there is zero chance...but the probability that he comes back is about as low as you can get imho. If we were desperate to fill his position then maybe, but we arent. And truth is while he was pretty solid he is not irreplaceable.

I hope he finds a good place to land.
Bishop was immediately removed from the roster. I think that’s a good indication he’s not coming back.

Ortiz and Dixon I think were just about being starters or getting on the field more.

Not sure on corners, but maybe new coach?

Walley and Nubin are locks to start. Henderson was brought in as a transfer and likely to start. Bryson and Green looked great in the bowl game. Stapp is still here and there are a number of young DBs that are hitting the point where they can be expected to start making an impact.

Yes it is frustrating to see guys leave who might have been in the mix but it isn't like we are staring at a bare cupboard with those two gone.
Yeah, safety looks pretty hard to get playing time.

One corner spot is still open, though.

Sure seems unrelated to me. Dixon apparently wanted to play a more traditional every down safety role. Ortiz and Glaze I think it’s safe to say just wanted to play, and neither appeared to be on the fast track for heavy reps. Bishop is still a mystery. It’s not like they all left after Haynes left, and it’s not like four players is a massive amount of DBs considering our roster.

Things that would make me switch a job:

1.) Bad environment - PJ has created a great culture that develops talent, but if you want to live the party life this isn't a great fit.

2.) Aren't using my gifts and talents - Bishop was being used, and was going to be used, so this isn't it.

3.) More pay - especially if my family is struggling. If something came up in his family and he needed a payday, than this seems logical -- or if he just go greedy.

End of the day who knows what happened, but most likely this is about the money or about him becoming a cultural mis-match.

Things that would make me switch a job:

1.) Bad environment - PJ has created a great culture that develops talent, but if you want to live the party life this isn't a great fit.

2.) Aren't using my gifts and talents - Bishop was being used, and was going to be used, so this isn't it.

3.) More pay - especially if my family is struggling. If something came up in his family and he needed a payday, than this seems logical -- or if he just go greedy.

End of the day who knows what happened, but most likely this is about the money or about him becoming a cultural mis-match.
Along the lines of cultural mis-match, I would imagine it is also possible he was dismissed from the team for unknown reasons. Wouldn’t be my first guess in this case, but I think it’s reasonable to imagine sometimes kids are told to either enter the portal or be publicly dismissed.

Neither of the DBs we brought in last year in the portal were very good. Not a big loss here.

The staff was already looking in the portal for a transfer CB. My guess is with the staff looking for a transfer, and Stapp competing for the spot as well, Bishop will find a place he's guaranteed to start as a Senior. If he can get closer to Louisville, or make a few bucks, that's a bonus.

Even without a lot of NIL to throw around, an open starting position on a top-10 defense that sends players to the league, should attract some quality corners in the May portal window.

The staff was already looking in the portal for a transfer CB. My guess is with the staff looking for a transfer, and Stapp competing for the spot as well, Bishop will find a place he's guaranteed to start as a Senior. If he can get closer to Louisville, or make a few bucks, that's a bonus.

Even without a lot of NIL to throw around, an open starting position on a top-10 defense that sends players to the league, should attract some quality corners in the May portal window.
The staff is also likely to run more and more sets where the nickel is a S (we saw with Dixon last year) but this year with the transfer and Green. I think Green might end up playing more traditional S (and I think he'll be very good).

The staff is also likely to run more and more sets where the nickel is a S (we saw with Dixon last year) but this year with the transfer and Green. I think Green might end up playing more traditional S (and I think he'll be very good).
I could see them wanting Bryson on the field a lot too. Tough to say who ends up at nickel, but I imagine it’s one of the safeties. Stapp might be in the mix there too if he doesn’t win the other cb role.

I could see them wanting Bryson on the field a lot too. Tough to say who ends up at nickel, but I imagine it’s one of the safeties. Stapp might be in the mix there too if he doesn’t win the other cb role.
Fleck spoke highly about Bryson all year and he looked the part in the bowl game for sure. Don't see how he isn't in the mix next season for a significant amount of playing time. Some very nice depth on the Safety side of things, will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

I think Minnesota is a good place to be a DB.

• Big Ten competition
  • Current top-5 D
  • Above average total D most seasons
  • Above average vs. the pass for about a decade now
  • Soft schedule vs. the pass (relative to other conferences)
  • Stability in the DC role
  • History of turning out some NFL DBs
  • Networking/mentorship opportunities with Vikings and former Gopher NFL DBs

Not sure why Beanie is bailing but it's a good opportunity for another transfer to take his place.

Looks like he’s stacking up offers, including Purdue, Kent State, Louisville, WKU, Charlotte…

Top Bottom