Big Ten Football in October?

For decades the giant petri dish (State Fair) stuffed people in like sardines and now we worry that we can't safely watch a football game...
The State Fair was cancelled this year.

Lots of noise from twitter twats, trying to clickbait followers.

But two people I absolutely trust on this (as well as all actual news from the Big Ten), are Adam Rittenberg and Heather Dinich.

So, the latest, actual, correct information:

I hope, somehow, that an agenda item to remove Nebraska from the league comes about.

They will never be a national contender (in football) again, and have done nothing to help the league.

No, they are not going to come out and say "We were wrong, and Joe Fan was right. If we would have just listened to Joe Fan, everything would have been different."

Decisions are based on the information you have at the time. Different information can lead to different decisions.

Why is this the Presidents' fault or Warren's fault? they based their decision on medical advice. so blame the medical advisors. I guess they were just supposed to ignore the medical advice.

the next time you go to the doctor, and the doctor tells you to do this, or don't do this, just ignore them and do whatever you want. I'm sure nothing bad will happen.....
I think you’re maybe missing the point. There are multiple points of view on how this went down. Some presidents are saying there was a vote, some (like Gable) are saying otherwise. Then, you have Warren who went into a bunker as this whole thing blew up. It’s entirely plausible what you are saying is correct, and they were presented with medical evidence, and indeed voted independently of Warren and came to a conclusion. But it is also entirely plausible that they were making it up as they went along behind the scenes and tried to “cover their tracks”. The evidence to that is the fact that there is no unified front between the presidents themselves on how this happened. Also, the lawsuit from Nebraska is asking for meeting minutes, which the league doesn’t want to produce (being 13/14 are public universities, they have to). The league countered that if they had to release them, it would create “irreparable harm”. Why would that be? Add in the fact that numerous head coaches and AD’s have stated that their respective presidents haven’t asked about or viewed their testing protocols, so the only information they are being fed is from Warren. The ACC and SEC had their “medical experts” visiting the football facilities and seeing how this was being handled (testing, practice, cleaning, etc.) Not a single B1G head coach or AD said that a medical expert from their school visited them. And if this was so dangerous that all these players were getting myocarditis from practice, why weren’t practices cancelled? But practices are all still occurring.

This is a very long winded way of saying there is enough smoke around the situation to think they (presidents) with or without Warren cobbled something together with the assumption others would follow their lead. On the flip side, if it went down as you describe, why wouldn’t they just present that? The lack of communication has led to these beliefs, and created division among coaches, AD’s, and fans. They’ve brought all this on themselves, as Warren could be releasing statements, giving interviews, etc, as to how and why they aren’t playing but others are. Instead, he’s gone Punxsutawny Phil and is pretending there are 6 more weeks of winter until this blows over.

^^ I have read a rumor that the ACC was supposed to be the 3rd P5 to cancel the fall season, and that would've been too much for the Big XII and SEC to resist.

But at the last second, Notre Dame offered to join the ACC in football just for this season, if they agreed not to cancel. No doubt ESPN would've helped to bring that about, as well.

Do I believe it? Maybe. ESPN and Notre Dame would love nothing more than to do damage to the Big Ten.

I hope, somehow, that an agenda item to remove Nebraska from the league comes about.

They will never be a national contender (in football) again, and have done nothing to help the league.

I dunno, they give Minnesota a steady diet of good-sounding wins.

Great news! Thank you acc,sec,big12. Big10 would never have reversed course if you hadnt chosen to play. Thank you parents and players who privided pressure.

Hopefully games will be played in front of a limited number of fans and soon enuf that big10 can participate in bowl season!

Just a guess by me, but there will be no Bowl season for the Big10.

I would imagine the one thing we can say with absolute certainty is, if they do indeed vote to move forward with a B1G football season, not a single person in that room will say they remotely made a mistake the first time; it will be due to some new data, revolutionary testing changes, some "vital" info that they allegedly didn't have last time. Nobody will take any responsibility or accountability for butchering the situation the first chance they had.

Unlike Trump who is always the first to take responsibility.... ROTFLMAO

Great news! Thank you acc,sec,big12. Big10 would never have reversed course if you hadnt chosen to play. Thank you parents and players who privided pressure.

Hopefully games will be played in front of a limited number of fans and soon enuf that big10 can participate in bowl season!
What is great news? No one even knows if the presidents are going to vote today, let alone on what they’d be voting for.

I am very curious how confident people are that games in the BIG can return to campuses that are all hot spots and the ACC worrying that they may be down to less than eight teams and other games being cancelled right and left.
The BIG and Pac 12 look very rational right now except to the cry babies denied their Saturday fix.
Good grief, and you wonder why so many people beat on you on this board for being such a f'ng idiot. For some odd reason you think this is because people are upset about not being able to watch Purdue tee it up against Maryland this Saturday. Beyond clueless. There are beyond enough football games to watch right now for anybody to get their fix, pro, college, and HS.

This is about what's right for the student athletes and how completely f'd up it has to have been the last month knowing that so many other teams, teams in their own states, were going to get to play football and they don't. To watch terrible leadership within their conference and disastrous decision-making on display for why they aren't playing. Imagine putting everything you have into something and watching it get pissed away for the simple unfortunate situation that you happen to play in the wrong conference.

The B1G botched this from the beginning and the student athletes are paying the price. Just plain stupid.

Good grief, and you wonder why so many people beat on you on this board for being such a f'ng idiot. For some odd reason you think this is because people are upset about not being able to watch Purdue tee it up against Maryland this Saturday. Beyond clueless. There are beyond enough football games to watch right now for anybody to get their fix, pro, college, and HS.

This is about what's right for the student athletes and how completely f'd up it has to have been the last month knowing that so many other teams, teams in their own states, were going to get to play football and they don't. To watch terrible leadership within their conference and disastrous decision-making on display for why they aren't playing. Imagine putting everything you have into something and watching it get pissed away for the simple unfortunate situation that you happen to play in the wrong conference.

The B1G botched this from the beginning and the student athletes are paying the price. Just plain stupid.
So all of the crying and wailing was because the student athletes were treated unfairly?
Sure did surprise me.
I thought it was because some people have no other life but watching Gopher football.
It just shows how wrong a person can be.

So all of the crying and wailing was because the student athletes were treated unfairly?
Sure did surprise me.
I thought it was because some people have no other life but watching Gopher football.
It just shows how wrong a person can be.

So, assuming the B1G powers-that-be are telling the truth, the decision to postpone was based on concerns about player health and safety.

and yet, everyone is mad at the B1G - because the conference decided to value the player's health and safety over other concerns - even financial concerns.

What would the reaction have been if the B1G had come out and said "our medical advisers are telling us not to play at this time, but we are going to play anyway because we don't care about the players' health and safety..."

Apparently, that statement would have been applauded by everyone. sure. #WWG1WGA.

So, assuming the B1G powers-that-be are telling the truth, the decision to postpone was based on concerns about player health and safety.

and yet, everyone is mad at the B1G - because the conference decided to value the player's health and safety over other concerns - even financial concerns.

What would the reaction have been if the B1G had come out and said "our medical advisers are telling us not to play at this time, but we are going to play anyway because we don't care about the players' health and safety..."

Apparently, that statement would have been applauded by everyone. sure. #WWG1WGA.

It has never been about the players health and safety

If they really do play in October, what evidence do they have that things are any safer 6 weeks later? Sounds like a backtrack if teams kick off on October 17.

If they really do play in October, what evidence do they have that things are any safer 6 weeks later? Sounds like a backtrack if teams kick off on October 17.

Certainly a backtrack in response to outside pressure. They will no doubt claim that a game-changing diagnostic is now available and perhaps it is. At this point too much momentum to stop.

Looks like no votes were casted earlier today. C’mon! Get er done!

Precisely. If it were, they’d shut down practice.

Besides, how would we even know? The face of the conference is nowhere to be found to convey this information. The fact that the conference is fighting in court to NOT release how they came to their decision should tell you everything you need to know.

For sure. They’re going to cost themselves tens of millions of dollars to avoid hundreds of thousands of dollars of potential lawsuits.

If they were really scared of lawsuits they wouldn’t be practicing.

For sure. They’re going to cost themselves tens of millions of dollars to avoid hundreds of thousands of dollars of potential lawsuits.

If they were really scared of lawsuits they wouldn’t be practicing.

You think potential lawsuits would only be in the 100s of thousands of dollars?

If it was about the players health and safety, they wouldn't be practicing.

Top Bottom