Big Ten Football in October?

I agree,
I hope the big ten makes the decision to play in front of no fans regardless of the current legal situation of the home team’s state

I agree, really little reason to have fans and screw this up. Maybe the 1500 fan limit for family?

I agree,

I agree, really little reason to have fans and screw this up. Maybe the 1500 fan limit for family?
Yeah. Watching Kansas state and Florida state today I can’t help but think they are really dumb.

Yep, learn from other leagues when it comes to testing. Do something like what Iowa St did today allowing mostly parents to attend. Keep it down to a few thousand at the most. Don’t do what Florida St is currently doing with large groups of people in the stands close together.

If they are confident they can do it safely I am all for it. However they should not return to play simply to appease vocal legislators and fans/parents/coaches.
You mean, like, everyone that is actually affected by the decision? Hmmmmm....

I like my season tix holders lottery myself. Let a ridiculously low number of diehards get a shot at gamedays if at the home fields.

Big Ten won't really have any say on the attendance part as I think that is dictated by the States in terms of how many people they will allow to be in one place at a time.

Will be interesting to see what comes of this vote. Want to see the teams on the field ASAP as long as they feel they can do it safely for the players and staffs.

Big Ten won't really have any say on the attendance part as I think that is dictated by the States in terms of how many people they will allow to be in one place at a time.

Will be interesting to see what comes of this vote. Want to see the teams on the field ASAP as long as they feel they can do it safely for the players and staffs.
Is Governor Walz a Gopher? Certainly Arnie bled Maroon and Gold back in the day.

If they are confident they can do it safely I am all for it. However they should not return to play simply to appease vocal legislators and fans/parents/coaches.
For decades the giant petri dish (State Fair) stuffed people in like sardines and now we worry that we can't safely watch a football game...

"Follows the science" means absolutely nothing.

That said....I hope that they can get working on a safe and effective way to get the season rolling. And yeah....if they do....I'd like to think that they'll find a way to allow limited spectators. I'd love to be able to at least see ONE game in person this year.

But you're still watching, right?
Not in person.
If you’re trying to catch me being a hypocrite you won’t.
im pretty open in my stance that if I was in charge everyone would be playing in front of empty stadiums

"The medical subcommittee, co-chaired by Penn State athletic director Sandy Barbour and Ohio State lead team physician Dr. Jim Borchers, will present the presidents with at least four rapid response antigen tests that could allow Big Ten teams to test daily for the coronavirus and significantly decrease the amount of necessary contact tracing. The latest information about myocarditis and its occurrence in athletes who test positive for COVID-19 also is expected to be shared, sources said.."

I would imagine the one thing we can say with absolute certainty is, if they do indeed vote to move forward with a B1G football season, not a single person in that room will say they remotely made a mistake the first time; it will be due to some new data, revolutionary testing changes, some "vital" info that they allegedly didn't have last time. Nobody will take any responsibility or accountability for butchering the situation the first chance they had.

"The medical subcommittee, co-chaired by Penn State athletic director Sandy Barbour and Ohio State lead team physician Dr. Jim Borchers, will present the presidents with at least four rapid response antigen tests that could allow Big Ten teams to test daily for the coronavirus and significantly decrease the amount of necessary contact tracing. The latest information about myocarditis and its occurrence in athletes who test positive for COVID-19 also is expected to be shared, sources said.."
The medical subcommittee presentation on Sunday, let's be honest, is largely for show. "In light of new information, blah, blah, blah... we have decided to play". I would guess they have all made up their minds at this point already, possibly even communicating with each other on the votes.

Some will say no again, some will say yes because they know the risk is minimal at this point and they really do want to play football (OSU, PSU, et al) and some will say yes because they may or may not know the risk is minimal but they now see just how much money they are and will be hemorrhaging by not not playing football and they have no choice.

I'll go out on a limb and guess they will move forward with starting to play games next month.

I would imagine the one thing we can say with absolute certainty is, if they do indeed vote to move forward with a B1G football season, not a single person in that room will say they remotely made a mistake the first time; it will be due to some new data, revolutionary testing changes, some "vital" info that they allegedly didn't have last time. Nobody will take any responsibility or accountability for butchering the situation the first chance they had.

No, they are not going to come out and say "We were wrong, and Joe Fan was right. If we would have just listened to Joe Fan, everything would have been different."

Decisions are based on the information you have at the time. Different information can lead to different decisions.

Why is this the Presidents' fault or Warren's fault? they based their decision on medical advice. so blame the medical advisors. I guess they were just supposed to ignore the medical advice.

the next time you go to the doctor, and the doctor tells you to do this, or don't do this, just ignore them and do whatever you want. I'm sure nothing bad will happen.....

I would imagine the one thing we can say with absolute certainty is, if more and more teams and players start producing mass positives, causing a bunch of postponements/potential shut downs, not a single person complaining about the delay will have the humility to say that they were wrong. It will be easy for them to make excuses....since they've been doing it since the start of the pandemic.

No, they are not going to come out and say "We were wrong, and Joe Fan was right. If we would have just listened to Joe Fan, everything would have been different."

Decisions are based on the information you have at the time. Different information can lead to different decisions.

Why is this the Presidents' fault or Warren's fault? they based their decision on medical advice. so blame the medical advisors. I guess they were just supposed to ignore the medical advice.

the next time you go to the doctor, and the doctor tells you to do this, or don't do this, just ignore them and do whatever you want. I'm sure nothing bad will happen.....

You said a bunch of things that fly right over the heads of the folks who've been whining about this. Delaying the season to make sure that things could be done safely is a reasonable thing to do. Especially when the other end of the the seesaw is mass infections. From the Pac 12 and Big Ten Presidents and ADs perspective.....is a month or two delay really a big deal? Having a large portion of the team catch covid would be much worse and far more difficult to justify.

I am very curious how confident people are that games in the BIG can return to campuses that are all hot spots and the ACC worrying that they may be down to less than eight teams and other games being cancelled right and left.
The BIG and Pac 12 look very rational right now except to the cry babies denied their Saturday fix.

Top Bottom