Big ESPN Profile on Pitino: Richard Pitino's golden challenge

1) I actually thought Myron's story was a nice feature piece overall.

2) This line, however, drives me crazy because people like him keep repeating it and it is simply not true (though it might become true if people keep repeating it enough!) -- "For years, the state's best preps have been poached by other programs within and outside the Big Ten."

3) Pitino not only sounds like a great X's and O's guy, he sounds like a great motivator. (Examples: the Mo weight loss, the players' excitement every time they talk about him, etc.) The name that keeps popping into my mind as a comparison is not only his father, but Lou Holtz.

Great article. Kudos to Myron - he's 10 times the writer he was when he started the beat at the Strib.

Clem showed it can be done here. Richard will show it can be done without shortcuts. To the posters on this board who seem to hate the U and hate the state and city, I went to school here and live here because it's a great institution and a great city. Potential student athletes are capable of coming to that same conclusion.

I know some of you will think I am a troll for what I am about to say, and a lot of that will have to do with my low post count,

but, I just don't find Pitino to be a genuine guy...he always seems to give the typical coach answers during interviews. Probably because he was coached up by his dad to do this. Going back to his interviews with FIU, he gives almost the same answers to questions that he does now in his Gopher interviews...answers that lead the viewer to think he is committed to the program, the fan base is underrated, and that the program is a great opportunity.

Now, I do feel like coaching in the Big Ten is a great opportunity for him, and I do think our fan base is underrated in that they can be great when the team is winning...its just that the answers he gives in interviews seem so pre-scripted.
The things I do like about Richard, is that he is smart, and he does not shy away from his heritage. A lot of sons of great people tend to shy away from their fathers, because the shadow is too much to live up to...Richard however, does not shy away from Rick, and letting people know that he was schooled by one of the best coaches in the history of basketball. That is the only thing I feel he is genuine about in his interviews.

Good Lord, how anti-Gopher of you. Richard has put Mo on a vegeterian diet. Which coach in the country could that? Lots of hard work so far.

Go Gophers

Minnesota first-year head coach Richard Pitino has been working night and day trying to sell a new era in Golden Gophers basketball.

It’s a battle he is fighting on several fronts, simultaneously trying to connect with his new team, re-engage a jaded fan base and redefine his program on the recruiting front.

The last of those three endeavors might prove to be the most difficult.

For as different as Pitino and his predecessor, Tubby Smith, may seem at first glance, they actually have some core similarities. Both are disciples of Pitino’s father, Louisville head coach Rick Pitino. Smith was the elder Pitino’s assistant and then successor at Kentucky, and Richard was thought to be following a similar path at Louisville before leaving to take over at Florida International.

Those similar backgrounds made the younger Pitino a risky hire for relatively new Minnesota athletic director Norwood Teague, who faced questions both for removing Smith and then replacing him with someone from the same pedigree.

But for Teague, the differences between Pitino and Smith were far more important than any similarities, especially when it comes to recruiting.

Right or wrong, Smith was perceived to be old-fashioned and conservative. No one was denying his ability to X-and-O, run practice or manage his program, but there were consistent and increasing questions about his ability to recruit high-level national talent.

Then there’s Pitino. Armed with the same look, charisma and name for which his father is well known, he recruited top national talent as an assistant at Florida and Louisville and made an immediate buzz with the success of his first season at FIU.

[+] EnlargeTyus Jones
AP Photo/Damen Jackson Quickly establishing ties with in-state recruits like No. 1 point guard Tyus Jones will be key for Richard Pitino at Minnesota.
But while he may be uniquely equipped for the challenge at Minnesota, rebranding a program in recruiting doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a process that begins with an immediate first impression, is nurtured by persistent and strategic hard work and, more than anything else, is established through sheer results.

The first impression was necessary when Pitino made his arrival in Minnesota, an area where he didn’t have any especially strong roots.

“I think whenever you first take a job like the University of Minnesota, where it’s the only Division I school in the state, it’s very, very important that you recognize the players in your area, in your state, and you make sure you identify those guys,” Pitino said. “The thing that’s unique about Minnesota is that the players who grow up here want to go to the University of Minnesota, so we reached out to as many guys as possible and then reached out nationally.”

To that end, Pitino and his staff have closed the gap with in-state phenoms like point guard Tyus Jones (Apple Valley, Minn./Apple Valley) and shooting guard Rashad Vaughn (Minneapolis/Robbinsdale Cooper); made ESPN 100 power forward Reid Travis (Minneapolis/De La Salle) a priority; and reached out to as many local high school and AAU coaches as possible.

Meanwhile, Minnesota’s recruiting expansion beyond its home base has thus far been rooted in the Northeast, a region with far more established ties for Pitino and members of his coaching staff.

“I think we’ve got a lot of ties to the Northeast with myself, [assistant coach] Kimani Young and [assistant coach] Dan McHale,” Pitino said. “Recruiting comes down to relationships, and we’ve got relationships there.”

In addition to relationships, Pitino also sees opportunity. He believes he has something unique to offer prospects from the Northeast and a way to differentiate his program from the dozens of other high majors that already recruit the region.

“Minneapolis reminds me a lot of Boston,” he said. “It has a lot of the great things that those Northeast cities have, but you have the Big Ten so you have that exposure.”

With relationships and opportunity alike, Pitino and his staff have spent as much time in the Northeast as any program over the last few months. They’re making no secret of the fact that they intend to pursue the best prospects in the region and, most important, take a backseat to no one.

Already, Minnesota has extended scholarship offers to ESPN 100 prospects Isaiah Whitehead (Brooklyn, N.Y./Lincoln), Kaleb Joseph (Nashua, N.H./Cushing Academy), Terry Larrier (Bronx, N.Y./Phelps School), Ja'Quan Newton (Philadelphia/Neumann-Goretti) and Goodluck Okonoboh (Boston/Wilbraham & Monson) and others such as four-star Marial Shayok (Blairstown, N.J./Blair Academy).

With strong inroads now made in both the Midwest and Northeast, the task at hand is to get some of these top prospects on Minnesota’s campus while continuing to grow and develop the Golden Gophers brand across the country.

“I truly believe we can recruit nationally here,” Pitino said. “I think people don’t realize how great this city really is. It’s a great city, it’s a great conference and it’s an easy place to get to. So I think that’s the key. If you have a desirable location to visit, we’ve got to put ourselves in positions to get some kids here for official visits.”

You can bet Pitino will be working night and day on that as well.

Great interview - would be nice to follow up with a Whitehead and Newton commitment next week and keep the Gophers on the front page for a while.

You mean it's a lot easier to lose weight when your joints are all in good working order and you haven't suffered any recent catastrophic injuries? Whoda thunk it?

Doesn't take good joints to eat right and eating right is 90% of losing weight.

Agreed. Nice story by Myron. He has taken cheapshots before, but this is a well written piece. He almost himself seemed surprised by how beautiful Duluth is, that made me chuckle.

I'm with you on this one. As someone currently living in Duluth, it was nice to see a little love for the city, even if it came from Myron. Most folks I talked with who have visited are pleasantly surprised at how nice a city Duluth is, even if it is a bit on the small side.

You mean it's a lot easier to lose weight when your joints are all in good working order and you haven't suffered any recent catastrophic injuries? Whoda thunk it?

So Mo, his health and his career were on an upward trajectory the day after Florida beat the Gophers?

Did Mo's joint health improve that much after Tubby was canned ? Must have found a really good glucosamine supplement.

Did Mo's joint health improve that much after Tubby was canned ? Must have found a really good glucosamine supplement.

Might be worth considering, with the overflow of Colonflow around here.

Good to see gophers get more frequent coverage on espn. Get our name out there nationally for recruits to see.

You think Myron would show a little allegiance after covering the U?

Not sure what you're saying, but a reporter owes no allegiance to anyone, their job is simply to report on the team. I don't think you can expect more than that they keep "off the record" comments off the record.

Not sure what you're saying, but a reporter owes no allegiance to anyone, their job is simply to report on the team. I don't think you can expect more than that they keep "off the record" comments off the record.

Please excuse Parski's comment. After all, it is Parski1.

3) The name that keeps popping into my mind as a comparison is not only his father, but LOU HOLTZ.[/QUOTE]

I totally have been thinking the same thing. Hopefully he doesn't "Pull a Lou" and leave us in the toilet for years to come after one decent year.

What does Moron say at the end right before he says "thank you for your time"? I replayed that part about 20 times and it sounds like he's saying, "Alright, devil, thank you for your time." What is he actually saying? Or did he just have an attack of momentary Tourette's? Or does he actually think Richard is the devil? Can anyone speak Moron and translate?

Did you try playing it backwards?

I enjoyed the article and I didn't expect to.

"We've got to now build a style of play, build a culture that these people want to come see and then, we've got to recruit our butt off,"

This quote was key to me and I hope fans pay attention to it. Building a style of play sounds like implementing as much of your desired style of play as you can with the roster you have. I hope we don't see a bunch of snarky comments if the Gophers play games in the 50''s (or fail to force the pace in the B1G) in year one.

The only out right error in Myron's piece was a big one: "For years, the state's best preps have been poached by other programs within and outside the Big Ten" Factually incorrect. Tubby landed Rodney, Royce, and Joe while Monson landed Rickert, Humphries, Spencer, etc. Cole Aldrich is the most recent big name to leave the state and that was near the end of the Monson era (committed to KU late 2005). Jarred Berggren was the other kid rated highly who left the state and he did that at very end of the Monson era. Other kids have had success out of state, but few were offered by the Gophers. For a school that has had limited success over the last ~15 years, the retention of the state's best preps has been impressive. Not to make sidetrack the conversation, but Tubby was hurt by the dry spell in talent coming out of Minnesota post Royce/Rodney and pre Tyus/Rashad not by his inability to land local kids.

As for Pitino not being genuine? WHO IS? ALL of these guys are selling their program the best way they can. It amazes me that some people think Pitino should say something like "It's so cold here, the facilities are crappy, and we will never win". It amazes me even more that people would just assume that a negative statement like that would be genuine while a positive one must be insincere. Does Beilein or Izzo go around moping about the weather in Michigan? How about Bo at Wisconsin? Does any coach ever say anything other than his school has a great fan base? If you don't like what he's saying, take it with a grain of salt or go listen to Jerry Kill...just realize that Kill has a shtick too, it just appeals to your personality more.

Myron will never show complete alliance to the U. He couldn't help himself with the weather cheap shot. He really needs to get Bo's cock out of his mouth!

I certainly don't think you're trolling. I get the same feeling when he's interviewed; just a bit too slick with the answers.

However, I also think he has a plan in mind because he's learned from his dad and others. More than anything, though, what really makes me optimistic is that he gives every indication of working his butt off to build a program here.

If too slick with his answers means 4 and 5 star recruits every year. I'm all for it.

Eating healthily doesn't require perfect knee joint functionality.

Eating healthily doesn't require perfect knee joint functionality.

I would guess when you can't work out or practice etc., the last thing on your mind is losing 50 pounds so you can fit into a future coaches running game.

I'm kinda surprised to say it, but I thought it was a pretty well written story. I'm thinking also that if we can get the practice facility and a little early success that Pitino could really find a long term home here.

I'm kinda surprised to say it, but I thought it was a pretty well written story. I'm thinking also that if we can get the practice facility and a little early success that Pitino could really find a long term home here.

I agree, that's the goal.

I agree, that's the goal.

I agree with you howie. The problem here on GH is that too many posters over think too much, make too many negative pessimistic comments, and the result is our new Coach does not have a chance.

If the Boston Celtics can take on a young 30's guy for their coach, I think Woody Teague is right on track investing in a young 30's Coach to lead our Gophers.

I agree with you howie. The problem here on GH is that too many posters over think too much, make too many negative pessimistic comments, and the result is our new Coach does not have a chance.

If the Boston Celtics can take on a young 30's guy for their coach, I think Woody Teague is right on track investing in a young 30's Coach to lead our Gophers.

With a few overly optimistic comments in there also.

As I see it, there are several possible scenarios for the "Pitino" Era at the U, and most favor the Gophers.

1. Pitino is a success, and stays forever at MN: Gophers win
2. Pitino is a success, and leaves for a 'better' job after X years: Gophers win due to elevation of program,
making job more attractive.
3. Pitino does an average job, similar to Clem/Tubby - Gophers break even - no worse off than before.
4. Pitino fails, and program takes a step backwards: Gophers lose.

Four Scenarios - gophs win 2, break even in 1, and lose 1. I'll take those odds.

As I see it, there are several possible scenarios for the "Pitino" Era at the U, and most favor the Gophers.

1. Pitino is a success, and stays forever at MN: Gophers win
2. Pitino is a success, and leaves for a 'better' job after X years: Gophers win due to elevation of program,
making job more attractive.
3. Pitino does an average job, similar to Clem/Tubby - Gophers break even - no worse off than before.
4. Pitino fails, and program takes a step backwards: Gophers lose.

Four Scenarios - gophs win 2, break even in 1, and lose 1. I'll take those odds.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Top Bottom