Big ESPN Profile on Pitino: Richard Pitino's golden challenge

As I see it, there are several possible scenarios for the "Pitino" Era at the U, and most favor the Gophers.

1. Pitino is a success, and stays forever at MN: Gophers win
2. Pitino is a success, and leaves for a 'better' job after X years: Gophers win due to elevation of program,
making job more attractive.
3. Pitino does an average job, similar to Clem/Tubby - Gophers break even - no worse off than before.
4. Pitino fails, and program takes a step backwards: Gophers lose.

Four Scenarios - gophs win 2, break even in 1, and lose 1. I'll take those odds.

These are the possibilities for every coach in America.

5. Pitino has some instant success and leaves too soon, leaving the program in turmoil and leaving our fanbase demoralized. Holtzesque.

5. Pitino has some instant success and leaves too soon, leaving the program in turmoil and leaving our fanbase demoralized. Holtzesque.

This is my fear. But I take some solace in the fact that the most likely job for this scenario would be to replace his dad, who is "only" 60, and thus figures to coach for multiple years... particularly since he just signed a lengthy extension.

As I see it, there are several possible scenarios for the "Pitino" Era at the U, and most favor the Gophers.

1. Pitino is a success, and stays forever at MN: Gophers win
2. Pitino is a success, and leaves for a 'better' job after X years: Gophers win due to elevation of program,
making job more attractive.
3. Pitino does an average job, similar to Clem/Tubby - Gophers break even - no worse off than before.
4. Pitino fails, and program takes a step backwards: Gophers lose.

Four Scenarios - gophs win 2, break even in 1, and lose 1. I'll take those odds.

Even if those were the only four scenarios, you are making the logical mistake of thinking each of those outcomes has the same probability of occurrence.

For example, if I see Kate Upton on the street and ask her on a date, there are several possible scenarios.

1. She says yes. I win.
2. She ignores me. I break even.
2. She says no. I lose.

I either win or break even 2/3 of the time...I'll take those odds!

Top Bottom