Best female singimg voice of the 70s and 80s.

You tube Eva Cassidy. Hands down the best ever after Sarah Brightman, and Sandi Patty. Songbird, Over The Rainbow, Fields of Gold, Autumn Leaves and on and on and on.

Sadly, she left us at the age of 33 in 1996 from cancer.

To this long, distinguished list I'll add Dolly Parton.

Linda Ronstadt.
Smoldering.
I'm sure I can trace my response for the thread due to this National Anthem performance at Chavez Ravine, even though I was only 8 years old. Nobody was ever prettier in Dodger Blue.

The Chairman of the Board gave his approval at the end. So did Tom Seaver at the very end, "That's a Hall of Famer!"

I've seen reports that a Linda Ronstadt biopic is in the works. David O Russell is set to direct Selena Gomez. I will buy that they have the chops to pull it off.

Are you asking for the best voice or whose voice you like the most? The latter is up to your own interpretation, but the former is easily Whitney Houston, and it's not close.
That’s funny.
The only correct answer is yours.

A few more that come to mind. . .
Phoebe Snow, believe she was a one-hit wonder, and first heard her song Poetry Man in the Running with Scissors movie.

Janis Ian-her song At Seventeen might be the most devastatingly honest song delivered about the life of high school girls who aren't deemed attractive/popular.

Jumping into the '80s and a name that pops to mind is Aimee Mann when she was with Til Tuesday. I loved both the song and video for Voices Carry. Mann came back around pretty strong in the '90s on her own.
Hush hush 🤫

More of a 60's and 70's singer but I would like to offer up Marilyn McCoo of the 5th Dimension. Her voice just breaks my heart.

Attachments

• McCoo.jpg
    McCoo.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1

More of a 60's and 70's singer but I would like to offer up Marilyn McCoo of the 5th Dimension. Her voice just breaks my heart.
Good call. I do think she's underrated. The 5th Dimension's slot in the Summer of Soul documentary reminded me of her vocal talent.

Good call. I do think she's underrated. The 5th Dimension's slot in the Summer of Soul documentary reminded me of her vocal talent.
I was going to mention Summer of Soul--one of my favorite parts of the documentary was McCoo and Billy Davis looking back at the footage together and talking about how they were putting their all into the concert because they so wanted to establish their legitimacy amongst the African-American base. And they kicked it, for sure.

I was going to mention Summer of Soul--one of my favorite parts of the documentary was McCoo and Billy Davis looking back at the footage together and talking about how they were putting their all into the concert because they so wanted to establish their legitimacy amongst the African-American base. And they kicked it, for sure.
I liked how they were interviewing the guy who was literally just a kid when they festival was taking place, now a middle aged guy admitting how much he was crushing on McCoo.

I totally get it.

Linda Rondstadt was the complete package.

3 All Stars, Joni Mitchell, Mary Travers and Mama Cass.

Here's a tribute to Susanna Hoffs who is celebrating her 65th Birthday TODAY. Performing this with Matthew Sweet it is a Micheal Nesmith song made into a hit by Linda Ronstadt.

Different Drum

Last edited:

I'm sure I can trace my response for the thread due to this National Anthem performance at Chavez Ravine, even though I was only 8 years old. Nobody was ever prettier in Dodger Blue.

The Chairman of the Board gave his approval at the end. So did Tom Seaver at the very end, "That's a Hall of Famer!"

I've seen reports that a Linda Ronstadt biopic is in the works. David O Russell is set to direct Selena Gomez. I will buy that they have the chops to pull it off.
According to The Guardian, Gomez and Ronstadt has met at Ronstadt's house to discuss the project.

I can't believe Cyndi Lauper hasn't been mentioned. And she's one-half of the duo of one of the most amazing duets with her and my guy Shaggy. America didn't know it needed this duet, but wow they crushed this together:

Go Shaggy!!

No last names required for this Trio. Dolly with Emmylou & Linda helping on harmony on NY's After the Gold Rush.

You tube Eva Cassidy. Hands down the best ever after Sarah Brightman, and Sandi Patty. Songbird, Over The Rainbow, Fields of Gold, Autumn Leaves and on and on and on.

Sadly, she left us at the age of 33 in 1996 from cancer.
Nice addition.

Love her acoustic Time after Time. I liked the original, but her rendition is all I want to hear anymore.

I have never seen Joni Mitchell live in person, but I have been in the same room when she won some big awards. In 1996 I had scored a Grammy ticket and checked out the pre-TV show portion where they name dozens and dozens of awards. This was at the Shrine Auditorium in LA, capacity 6,300. Much more cozy then now when they have it in big time arenas.

There were maybe a thousand people in the theater, half of them seemed to be the nominees themselves. Several were awarded and "accepted on their behalf" as category after category from polka to country to jazz to classical to pop etc were bestowed.

The reactions ranged from quite reserved (been there done that) to quite ecstatic, such as John Popper/Blues Traveler who happened to be sitting right in front of me when their name was called. They jumped for genuine joy.

Best Album Packaging came up and Mitchell was for Turbulent Indigo. I was actually pulling for Neil Young (Mirror Ball) or Pearl Jam (Vitalogy) who were also nominated.

Joni's name was called as the Winner and she happened to be behind the curtain, due to being scheduled as a presenter for the TV show and was summoned to the stage. She was just giddy and felt honored to get a Grammy for the first time since 1974. To add some intrigue, her already separated husband (Larry Klein) shared the stage as an honoree.

It just felt really cool for such an icon to be honored and reciprocate with just how happy she was to be celebrated for her visual art. It was Mitchell's third Grammy in her career.

She did not have to wait long for a 4th. Later that night she scored a big upset over Mariah Carey for Best Pop Album. Other nominees were the Eagles, Annie Lennox and Madonna. Hard to say which award made her more excited.

Mitchell has now racked up 10 Grammys (including a Lifetime Achievement) and is nominated again this year for her comeback live album, Joni Mitchell at Newport.

It has been announced she is scheduled to perform this Sunday.

Top Bottom