Ben Johnson on losing 10 players: "I don't take things personally."

Are we just looking for racist angles now? Every human is diverse from the next human so any hire is a diversity hire.
Damn the negativity from GH members regarding Ben Johnson's hire is just tiresome. It is showing the latent racism in members that really disappoints me.
Just accept the hire and wish for the best or leave. We're still 5 months out from any game and y'all are saying the sky is falling. It's pathetic.
Stop with the racist nonsense. We hired someone that wasn’t qualified, period. People would have been just as upset if we hired a random white assistant coach from Xavier. Ben won’t even be able to field a group of guys to practice in June for summer workouts because our roster is so decimated.

Bud Grant "I’ve always said this, coaches don’t win football games. Players win football games. Coaches are a dime a dozen. You get all kinds of coaches that know X’s and O’s. You gotta accumulate (players), manage and put them in the right places and recognize their talents. That’s what wins football games, not coaches. Lots of great coaches out there"

Seems to me the same could be said for basketball.

Well, Dean Smith, with his characteristic modesty, once said the following when reflecting back on his career:

I'd call a timeout and diagram a play. Now, whether the ball went in or not, well, that's where recruiting comes in.

As I recall, Teague made a big deal out of his supposed ties to "Villa 7." There were a lot of stories in the media about all of Teague's connections in the coaching community, and how this would make it easier for the U to land a top coaching candidate.

of course, it all turned out to be horse manure.

As far as the "Johnson doesn't have head coaching experience" - everybody has to get their first chance somewhere. Very few, if any head coaches jump right to a HC job in college without serving as an assistant first. Yes, I will submit that a typical path would see an assistant get his first head coaching job at a lower-level D1 program, but I don't think that means that Johnson is doomed to failure. The learning curve might be a little steeper, but I'm willing to let things play out and see how it all ends up.

When the Gophers hired Mussleman, I remember stories about how some guy from a small school with a crazy warm-up show would never make it in the B1G. All he did was recruit what was possibly the most talented roster in Gopher history. I still dream about what could have been with that group of players before Olberding and Landsberger left.

Stop with the racist nonsense. We hired someone that wasn’t qualified, period. People would have been just as upset if we hired a random white assistant coach from Xavier. Ben won’t even be able to field a group of guys to practice in June for summer workouts because our roster is so decimated.
And there you go with an opinion the University of Minnesota does not hold.

He said it in a far more nuanced and politically correct way than I just did, but he said it multiple times in mid-March in the GI threads when Dennis Gates was the leader. He said with the recent events in Minneapolis, the Board of Regents was insisting on hiring a minority coach, given that all of our major sports (or possibly all, I don’t know) had white coaches.
If that is true, he should have made a full court press for Shaka Smart.

Last edited:

The U can hire whomever they wish. And, they can write the qualifications however they wish. Your opinion is an opinion.
Indeed, yet the fact is the University hired Ben Johnson as head men's basketball coach, which therefore makes him objectively qualified for the job as opposed to people who claim he is not qualified, even though the UMN has made him qualified. The haters in this picture are those who speak poorly of Ben Johnson when he's had less than 3 months on the job and no basketball games have been played.

When you think about replying to Spaulding just say to yourself... Spaulding! No!

100% troll account.
I know... I shouldn't give him any acknowledgement. I debated whether to reply but I've read so many of his posts which seem to hint insight of some form or another (I guess he works at the U?). I thought I'd give him an opportunity to demonstrate why anyone should read his one sentence diatribes.

Indeed, yet the fact is the University hired Ben Johnson as head men's basketball coach, which therefore makes him objectively qualified for the job as opposed to people who claim he is not qualified, even though the UMN has made him qualified. The haters in this picture are those who speak poorly of Ben Johnson when he's had less than 3 months on the job and no basketball games have been played.
This is an insane stance. By this logic, every person who has ever been hired for any job is qualified for that job.

I have seen very few people speak poorly of Ben Johnson. Keep in mind that doesn't mean everyone needs to simply say everything is great and agree with all of his decisions. It also doesn't mean we have to think he was necessarily qualified for the job. That isn't "hating" someone.

Anyone defending Ben that our players sucked and were better off now care to argue this point? It's quite good.
Our roster wasn’t deep enough to have sustained success last year. They really had 2 good players and 2 good role players.

we are both better of now. We have become a worse roster. That doesn’t make last years roster good

Writing a job posting that qualifies someone hardly makes them qualified for the job. Seen it waaaaay toooooo many times over the years. Same thing happened here.

I dont see any haters. Disagreeing with the hire is not hating.

Writing a job posting that qualifies someone hardly makes them qualified for the job. Seen it waaaaay toooooo many times over the years. Same thing happened here.

I dont see any haters. Disagreeing with the hire is not hating.
Sorry. Calling it a "POS hire" is a bit more than disagreeing.

Shaka is a nice dude and all, but he'd get eaten alive in the B1G.
The guy who's got 10 years of experience in the A-10 and Big 12 would get eaten alive, but the guy with no experience at all won't?

The guy who's got 10 years of experience in the A-10 and Big 12 would get eaten alive, but the guy with no experience at all won't?
His preferred style of play didn’t work well in Texas. He was almost fired before last year. He’s a good recruiter but pretty overrated as a developer and in game coach.
My comment has nothing to do with Ben being good or bad.

Bud Grant "I’ve always said this, coaches don’t win football games. Players win football games. Coaches are a dime a dozen. You get all kinds of coaches that know X’s and O’s. You gotta accumulate (players), manage and put them in the right places and recognize their talents. That’s what wins football games, not coaches. Lots of great coaches out there"

Seems to me the same could be said for basketball.
I love Bud but there is a logic failure in the quote. Bud is actually saying that Xs and Os don't win games. I agree to some degree as no plays are likely ground breaking. However, coaches are the ones who "manage the players and put them in the right places, and recognize their talents. That's what wins games."

This is an insane stance. By this logic, every person who has ever been hired for any job is qualified for that job.

I have seen very few people speak poorly of Ben Johnson. Keep in mind that doesn't mean everyone needs to simply say everything is great and agree with all of his decisions. It also doesn't mean we have to think he was necessarily qualified for the job. That isn't "hating" someone.
He is qualified by virtue of the hire. He may or may not succeed in this job, but the hire itself officially qualifies Ben Johnson.

He is qualified by virtue of the hire. He may or may not succeed in this job, but the hire itself officially qualifies Ben Johnson.
I understand your attempted logic at this take but I just strongly disagree with it. With this line of thinking, every single person hired for any job in the history of time is qualified. I don't think taking this stance bolsters your argument, IMO it's so preposterous that it actually discredits your overall point.

I love Bud but there is a logic failure in the quote. Bud is actually saying that Xs and Os don't win games. I agree to some degree as no plays are likely ground breaking. However, coaches are the ones who "manage the players and put them in the right places, and recognize their talents. That's what wins games."
Grant being modest...he manage and put them in the right places and recognize their talents... hopefully BJ has a similar ability.

I understand your attempted logic at this take but I just strongly disagree with it. With this line of thinking, every single person hired for any job in the history of time is qualified. I don't think taking this stance bolsters your argument, IMO it's so preposterous that it actually discredits your overall point.
It is upon you to prove Ben Johnson is not qualified. Since there is no objective rules that determine qualification, you must use subjective opinion. You can attempt to be persuasive, but that doesn't actually prove Ben Johnson is not qualified, it just persuades emotions to feel a certain way.

It is upon you to prove Ben Johnson is not qualified. Since there is no objective rules that determine qualification, you must use subjective opinion. You can attempt to be persuasive, but that doesn't actually prove Ben Johnson is not qualified, it just persuades emotions to feel a certain way.
There is no proof right now that he is qualified or is not qualified- since he has a zero win loss record as a head coach in college. It is all on Ben to show if he is qualified or not. We will know a lot by late this fall. # 1 job is fall recruiting. We won't be sure about his coaching until he has the players to compete with and that is 2 years away-minimum. I like Ben, I think he is promising and I want badly for him to succeed. It has been a really rough start, I don't know how anyone could spin it differently. If he goes over 12-13 wins this year- we have witnessed something masterful.

I would think Ben would take it at least a little personally for the players that he was part of recruiting here as an assistant.

Top Bottom