Ben Johnson on losing 10 players: "I don't take things personally."

Same. So many players are choosing to go closer home after a tough year for everyone during covid. None of them got a college experience, very isolated, not even team meals. Many are leaving to play for coaches they already had relationships with, better chance at playing time, better chance to win. So many factors for all kids in every program.
Yup. Keep telling us all. Never mind Gabe and Both ran away from home. Never mind Garcia, Race Thompson, and the guys didn’t come home.
Never mind the decision was made to push an NBA prospect away to Vanderbilt.
Never mind a guy who was a very hard worker and excellent contributor said he was excited for another year as a Gopher and then his coach got fired and the new coach couldn’t sell him on the new Gopher vision.
Don’t take it personal Badger, they all wanted to leave because BJ did not have a vision they could see as inspiring them or winning games. The same reason other top players aren’t choosing us. The Xavier transfers are not Gophers either. There’s lots of schools and they also chose different ones. Seems almost like a trend?
When it comes to defensive assignments will the guys here get to choose their own principles too? Or will the coaches convince them on our new Gopher way?

If we are picking 13’s ... that is the number of wins we had at home last year. 2nd among Big Ten teams. How close will the Gophers come to that standard?
About as relevant to the discussion...
How about 0-10 on the road, or finishing the regular season with seven straight losses?

Yup. Keep telling us all. Never mind Gabe and Both ran away from home. Never mind Garcia, Race Thompson, and the guys didn’t come home.
Never mind a guy who was a very hard worker and excellent contributor said he was excited for another year as a Gopher and then his coach got fired and the new coach couldn’t sell him on the new Gopher vision.
Don’t take it personal Badger, they all wanted to leave because BJ did not have a vision they could see as inspiring them or winning games. The same reason other top players aren’t choosing us. The Xavier transfers are not Gophers either. There’s lots of schools and they also chose different ones. Seems almost like a trend?
When it comes to defensive assignments will the guys here get to choose their own principles too? Or will the coaches convince them on our new Gopher way?
13th place!

I do not take it personally. Maybe none of the guys wanted to live in Minneapolis, maybe they did not connect with Ben. So many factors. Gabe had a connection with TJ. Race perhaps koves Woodson and wants to win now at a basketball crazy school. Does anyone want Gach ? Maybe Ben did as long as Both was going to play a certain way because he is a disater to efficiency . Of course some of it falls on Ben . And the record of his teams will fall on him as well. I have patience. I wrote checks for 8 years of horrible coaching. Going to support Ben while he gives it a go.

"Everybody's fair game to make their own decision, especially when there's a coaching change, to do what they feel is best. And I totally get this, I don't take any of this stuff personal."

So this is what the departed did, each for their own reason, and the reason is probably different for each player. So why did so many move on?

1. They did not want to be a part of a program that is starting over with a new coach with no track record, history of success and preparing players for the NBA.

2. They want to go to a program where their skills would best fit based on the needs of that coach and team rather than wondering how they would fit with BJ's style.

3. They did not mesh with Johnson's culture and his personality.

4. They want a fresh start away from the negativity that surrounded the program.

5. They want to get the the NCAA tourney.

6. They want to follow their uncle or be closer to home.

7. They want to get away from home.

8. Their girlfriend graduated.

9. They hated Minnesota Winter's.

10. They did not like Ihnen. :>(
I would also add:
11. needed to get away for a new atmosphere because I developed the yips and needed something new to try and get my head situated.

12. I got depressed about my performance/how I was being used.... so I quit doing my school work and flunked out.

I suspect this is what happened to Gach, because I don't see him in the portal, although we are told he is. So I suspect the portal is the story being used when in reality he is not eligable to transfer because of academics. Although I suspect he might be able to get academics straight by the end of the summer through summer school/online classes. I hope it works out for him and he can finish school one way or the other and play BB, preferably at Minnesota.

Can we just be honest. I have no doubt that Ben will be a great coach but most of the people who were part of the program only knew him as a recruiter, not as the head coach. They have no idea what he can do and other players would have felt this as well. Plus, it is to easy to paint that Ben was hired because he was "one of us" and there was pressure from outside political forces. Nothing tells us anyone outside of Coyle's confidence (take it for what it is worth) that he will end up being a great head coach. It is understanding for the mass exodus.

Anyone defending Ben that our players sucked and were better off now care to argue this point? It's quite good.
Why? Waste of time. He fails to make his prima facie argument. He uses logical equivocation. The how is already been pointed out to him ad nauseaum. He just won’t read it.

I post this without making any judgements on the the merits of the potential argument he could make; just the one he did, and has been making.

Were you a movie projector in a previous life? Cause you are projecting all over the place in your comments.

"Everybody's fair game to make their own decision, especially when there's a coaching change, to do what they feel is best. And I totally get this, I don't take any of this stuff personal."

So this is what the departed did, each for their own reason, and the reason is probably different for each player. So why did so many move on?

1. They did not want to be a part of a program that is starting over with a new coach with no track record, history of success and preparing players for the NBA.

2. They want to go to a program where their skills would best fit based on the needs of that coach and team rather than wondering how they would fit with BJ's style.

3. They did not mesh with Johnson's culture and his personality.

4. They want a fresh start away from the negativity that surrounded the program.

5. They want to get the the NCAA tourney.

6. They want to follow their uncle or be closer to home.

7. They want to get away from home.

8. Their girlfriend graduated.

9. They hated Minnesota Winter's.

10. They did not like Ihnen. :>(
Should have ran Ihnen off from the get go. Would have had a full roster now. Live and learn.

Your hatred for Coach Johnson drives you into make outlandish conclusions about something you know nothing about. How many of the coach/player discussions were you a part of? How many of the player do you know, how many have you talked to? You have your own negative spin on any rumor or assumption that you can dream up.

Just relax, let thinks play out and go back to yelling at kids to stay off of your yard.

Your hatred for Coach Johnson drives you into make outlandish conclusions about something you know nothing about. How many of the coach/player discussions were you a part of? How many of the player do you know, how many have you talked to? You have your own negative spin on any rumor or assumption that you can dream up.

Just relax, let thinks play out and go back to yelling at kids to stay off of your yard.
You honestly feel Johnson wanted to keep just Ihnen?

If that is the case, what specifically did Ihnen accomplish that not one of the other players didn’t?

He is changing his best, and guys that don't fit left with the help of an expanded portal. Great approach and mindset during a time of great change. The more I hear and learn about the staff, the better I feel.
Enjoy the season! I’ll bet you will be nowhere to be found when we’re dead last in January.
13th place!
You’re fighting the wrong fight. I don’t believe anyone who is ripping BJ wanted to keep Pitino. Certainly not me. The issue is we didn’t hire a real coach.

If that is the case, what specifically did Ihnen accomplish that not one of the other players didn’t?
I’d love to hear an honest answer to this.

Enjoy the season! I’ll bet you will be nowhere to be found when we’re dead last in January.

You’re fighting the wrong fight. I don’t believe anyone who is ripping BJ wanted to keep Pitino. Certainly not me. The issue is we didn’t hire a real coach.
Some here will not accept Coyle settled.

I have no idea and really none of us have any idea. I do suspect that Ben was not going to beg anyone to stay. If a player was not willing to buy into his system, then yes, of course Ben would not want them to stay.

As has been repeatedly pointed out, Coach Johnson is going to establish the foundation of his program culture right from the start. No dissent, conflicting priorities or lack of dedication in the locker room, period.

PJ kept describing it as his culture and PJ had players leave the first year. PJ also had some skeptics in the locker room that he either won over or they then left the next year.

Of course Ben wants the best players on the team, but he is focused right now on establishing the best "team attitude" and culture. He is not willing to sacrifice those goals to cater to a specific player.

Some here will not accept Coyle settled.
Not true. You do not have all of the information that Coyle did when he made the decision. You are making assumptions based upon your opinions and projecting them as the truth. Why do you think that Coyle would just settle for an inferior hire for the BB coach when he has a track record of getting exactly the coach he wanted in Football, Women BB and Hockey, etc.. The Men's BB coaching hire has some similarities to hiring Whalen for the Women's job. I feel very strongly that Coye hired exactly who he wanted to hire for the Men's BB coach. You can disagree with the choice if you like, but do not assume Coyle is an idiot.

He just let the kids walk. He didn’t reach out and communicate with them and they left. Possibly that is what he wanted so he could craft his own team.

A wild guess...
Ihnen has stayed because he is here on a Visa and if he moved he might lose his Visa. Therefore he has remained.

His own words cause one to ponder the future. "It is what it is"...now let's consider if at 49 Mickelson had said that. It is doubtful at 50 year 11 month he would have become the oldest PGA Tournament winner in history.

Some here will not accept Coyle hired who he wanted.
Coyle wanted to keep his job. He doesn’t hire by committee. Now he can say, please let me do it my way next time...in three or four years. Meanwhile he followed his bosses wishes which gave him guaranteed job security.

Coyle wanted to keep his job. He doesn’t hire by committee. Now he can say, please let me do it my way next time...in three or four years. Meanwhile he followed his bosses wishes which gave him guaranteed job security.
Some here will not accept Coyle hired who he wanted.

His own words cause one to ponder the future. "It is what it is"...now let's consider if at 49 Mickelson had said that. It is doubtful at 50 year 11 month he would have become the oldest PGA Tournament winner in history.
You are mixing up concepts. "It is what it is" is not a sign of throwing in the towel and giving up, it is more to do with not worrying about thinks you can not change. It is much more productive to spend the effort on items that are in your control and that you can impact. The greener grass syndrome of the expanded portal along with a feeling of wanted more by other teams that recruit you can encourage more players to leave. They could feel trapped by staying some place where the environment is changing all around you, no matter how you feel.

According to Ryan James, the U needed a diversity hire and it was a non-negotiable chip Coyle had to play. When he struck out on Dennis Gates, Johnson was his only option.
Nothing else adds up, but this.
Ben does not strike me as Les Brown,
yet Coyle told Dutcher he blew the committee away. Hmmm 🤔

Last edited:

According to Ryan James, the U needed a diversity hire and it was a non-negotiable chip Coyle had to play. When he struck out on Dennis Gates, Johnson was his only option.
Ryan James has never said this.

OK.

Top Bottom