Ben Johnson is a Disaster

Also think it might be led, not lead.
I still screw that one up from time to time. Lead, led, lead and LED. Verb, noun, substance or little thingy that emits light. Lead is a soft metal, but you wouldn't want it as a medal. Gold, however, is good as either a metal or a medal.

The English language can be super confusing. :D

It is not good! The problem is we have major entities within this state that don't//won't provide NIL monies to athletes. 15 Fortune 500 companies.......And nothing. It is pathetic.

The State of Minnesota would rather bitch and complain that the gophers suck rather than do something about it. It is the LIBERAL views of this State as a whole. Just Saying....

The coach in not GOOD at all. That goes with MONEY$$
1705685673141.png

Liberal views of the state? Really???

NIL collectives do not qualify as tax-exempt 501(c) organizations. Therefore, donations are not tax deductible. Now, I don't know how much you understand the inner workings of corporate America, which are generally anything other than liberal bastions of society, but if they can't deduct it on taxes, they ain't cuttin' any checks for it. I can't get $500K let alone $100K for updated software my team needs to do their jobs. They sure as hell aren't dumping money into an NIL collective that has absolutely zero ROI with it.

Any leader that attempted to do that would be run out on a rail and tarred and feathered in an all-employee meeting where we would be provided rotten vegetables to throw at them.

NIL is turning into teenage sex: everyone talks about it, nobody really knows how to do it, everyone thinks everyone else is doing it, so everyone claims they are doing it, and doing it a lot.

View attachment 29631

NIL collectives do not qualify as tax-exempt 501(c) organizations. Therefore, donations are not tax deductible. Now, I don't know how much you understand the inner workings of corporate America, which are generally anything other than liberal bastions of society, but if they can't deduct it on taxes, they ain't cuttin' any checks for it. I can't get $500K let alone $100K for updated software my team needs to do their jobs. They sure as hell aren't dumping money into an NIL collective that has absolutely zero ROI with it.

Any leader that attempted to do that would be run out on a rail and tarred and feathered in an all-employee meeting where we would be provided rotten vegetables to throw at them.

NIL is turning into teenage sex: everyone talks about it, nobody really knows how to do it, everyone thinks everyone else is doing it, so everyone claims they are doing it, and doing it a lot.
You just made my point!! Thank you!

I will say that another bad indictment was on Ben in the final minutes of last game. Call time out, down 6 I believe. But loads of time to keep extending the game.

Mitchell comes out and shoots a 40 footer immediately. We get the board that goes back to Mitchell and he launches another deep(not as deep) off balance look.

Either

1. That is all that Ben drew up out of a timeout. A rushed bomb from deep with a struggling player who didnt sit all night

2. Mitchell went rogue and did it all on his own

Neither option is a good indictment of the coach.

It is not good! The problem is we have major entities within this state that don't//won't provide NIL monies to athletes. 15 Fortune 500 companies.......And nothing. It is pathetic.

The State of Minnesota would rather bitch and complain that the gophers suck rather than do something about it. It is the LIBERAL views of this State as a whole. Just Saying....

Fortune 500 companies aren't going to partner with many D-I athletes because most of them advertise globally, if not at least nationally. Unfortunately, this roster of MN men's basketball players is barely relevant locally, let alone nationally or globally. It just doesn't work that way.

The small-to-medium companies around the state (and there are many) are going to be where this game gets played.

That said, Coyle will have a hard decision to make pretty soon. The how and the who of this losing streak are not doing CBJ any favors.

Might be the best summation of NIL I've ever read. And many who did do it are now claiming it was not all they were promised it would be.

Not really the forum for this statement but it is 100% factual

I really don't have much sympathy for people who bitch and moan about where they live. No one forces you to live Minnesota. You're free to move somewhere where the culture is more to your liking. I've lived in five different states as an adult.

The same thing applies to your feelings about the Gophers. If you're sick of following a underachieving team, pick another team. There's nothing praiseworthy about following one particular team or another. Mostly these things are just habits. If you don't like your habits, then break them and form new ones.

You're pissed at private companies for not throwing more money to help a public institution.

That sounds pretty liberal to me.

I really don't have much sympathy for people who bitch and moan about where they live. No one forces you to live Minnesota. You're free to move somewhere where the culture is more to your liking. I've lived in five different states as an adult.

The same thing applies to your feelings about the Gophers. If you're sick of following a underachieving team, pick another team. There's nothing praiseworthy about following one particular team or another. Mostly these things are just habits. If you don't like your habits, then break them and form new ones.
You're on a Gopher basketball message board. Changing teams is clearly a difficult habit to break. The first step is admitting you're powerless over your addiction to Gopher basketball.

You're on a Gopher basketball message board. Changing teams is clearly a difficult habit to break. The first step is admitting you're powerless over your addiction to Gopher basketball.
To me it's a loyalty thing. I was born in Minneapolis, my dad was a huge fan, and 1997 made me a fan for life. There is just something about rooting for the hometown team. You can always live somewhere else, but you only ever have one hometown. I could root for another team sure, it would never bring me personally the same satisfaction to see another team win as opposed to the Gophers.

To me it's a loyalty thing. I was born in Minneapolis, my dad was a huge fan, and 1997 made me a fan for life. There is just something about rooting for the hometown team. You can always live somewhere else, but you only ever have one hometown. I could root for another team sure, it would never bring me personally the same satisfaction to see another team win as opposed to the Gophers.
Yep, I'm the same way. I grew up going to games at the Barn. I had a Chad Kolander signed mini-basketball in my room growing up. I'll always be a Gopher fan.

This is good business. Are you saying liberal and good business go together?

Thanks. I was doing alright until you said '1997' - the season that has no records of having existed but damn was it magical. :cry:

I will say that another bad indictment was on Ben in the final minutes of last game. Call time out, down 6 I believe. But loads of time to keep extending the game.

Mitchell comes out and shoots a 40 footer immediately. We get the board that goes back to Mitchell and he launches another deep(not as deep) off balance look.

Either

1. That is all that Ben drew up out of a timeout. A rushed bomb from deep with a struggling player who didnt sit all night

2. Mitchell went rogue and did it all on his own

Neither option is a good indictment of the coach.
I thought Ben coached a good game against arguably the best coach in the B1G. He is not responsible for where Mitchell launched the shot, and of course he didn’t draw it up for him to take it from that far. If you ever played the game, you’d know that players don’t always execute exactly what is drawn up in the TO. He probably did encourage them to go for a 3 in that situation, which is/was a judgement call — a lot of coaches would have done the same.

criticizing Ben’s handling of the game over this one situation is short-sighted (IMO).

I thought Ben coached a good game against arguably the best coach in the B1G. He is not responsible for where Mitchell launched the shot, and of course he didn’t draw it up for him to take it from that far. If you ever played the game, you’d know that players don’t always execute exactly what is drawn up in the TO. He probably did encourage them to go for a 3 in that situation, which is/was a judgement call — a lot of coaches would have done the same.

criticizing Ben’s handling of the game over this one situation is short-sighted (IMO).

I don't have a problem with Mitchell taking those shots. It was desperation time and they had to make a dent in that margin quickly to have a chance. I don't believe the Gophers would have won if he hadn't taken those shots anyway.

This thread now 139 pages long. Have to say I was rooting for Ben and still am rooting for him. Think he took on a very difficult challenge and is finding out like Whalen that coaching in the Big 10, even all college basketball, is not easy. Big 10 has a lot of teams with proven and experienced coaches that have the upper hand in recruiting, transfer portal, and officiating. Then you have players that come and go, fans that get excited after big wins but rootless on every loss. Heck Wisconsin was talking firing their coach after last couple seasons. Ben seems to be getting a little closer and if he can just learn to make some adjustments by finding a fast break and more movement on the offense, I think he could get some big W's. This team is capable. This next game against Wisconsin at HOME is HUGE! It either ends a 3 game losing streak or it becomes a 4 game losing streak with losses to IOWA and WISCONSIN at HOME....eeek.

I didnt criticize his handling of the game. I said that one moment is another indictment of him being in over his head.

First off you are blatantly speculating that he didnt draw up that play. But even so

It plays into the 2nd option. As a coach he has players not listening to the play he draws up and taking not a bad shot but an absolutely zero bball IQ braindead shot. Good coaches dont have their players do that.

I didnt say Ben coached a poor game. I pointed out a clear situation in now 2.5 years worth of flubs that points to things not working under Ben.

It definitely happened: )
Was in San Antonio for the regionals with my fiance', now wife. Her boss had given her his tickets. 10 rows up, about center-right. I remember the UCLA fans exiting after the Gophers beat Clemson saying "Minnesota Who?" They weren't talking so much after we took them down.

Minnesota fans on the Riverwalk. It was a giant festival!

View attachment 29631

1705768604092.jpeg

Top Bottom