Ben Johnson is a Disaster

Saw PSU beat WI and saw that new PSU coach already has 2 top 25 wins. Johnson is the only coach and MN is only program without a top 25 win in the last 3 seasons. 0-11.
Not that that's surprising, but yikes, that's bad. Evidently, Penn State made a good hire, because they were decimated and predicted to be a dumpster fire this year.

Not that that's surprising, but yikes, that's bad. Evidently, Penn State made a good hire, because they were decimated and predicted to be a dumpster fire this year.

They made a GREAT hire. Made 3 tournaments at VCU. Getting the HC at VCU is a great get for PSU, considering the coaches before left for LSU, Texas, Alabama, and Oklahoma respectively.

They made a GREAT hire. Made 3 tournaments at VCU. Getting the HC at VCU is a great get for PSU, considering the coaches before left for LSU, Texas, Alabama, and Oklahoma respectively.
Would be nice to think we could snag someone of that caliber at some point, but like I've always said, we're no Penn State.

Saw PSU beat WI and saw that new PSU coach already has 2 top 25 wins. Johnson is the only coach and MN is only program without a top 25 win in the last 3 seasons. 0-11.
Little context, only program in what? The big ten? P5? Good contextual stat (very bad for the program) just wasnt sure the overall group it was for.

Little context, only program in what? The big ten? P5? Good contextual stat (very bad for the program) just wasnt sure the overall group it was for.

I'm guessing the Big Ten. I can't image a team like Georgetown has a ranked win in the last three years. But if I had to guess we're probably only one of about 4/5 that probably don't.

Beat #1 Ohio State at home if I recall. OSU turned out to be a pretender tho
That's part of the weak non-conference schedule. Rankings are off prior to January and there are ranked opponents to be had, but we are avoiding challenges in the non-conference.

You forgot the puppy 🐶, you meanie!!

If you think complaining on an anonymous chat board is a call to action, I’ll bet you a fiver that your sock drawer is still unorganized, let alone your unders😱

I’m so glad that sports play such an integral part on your life and matter soooooooooo much, that you feel the need to try and insult and demean me. I was the same way when I was a younger man, before maturation allowed me to view it as entertainment and amusement, much like your postings🥸

You forgot smug, Sir Troll

You won’t throw me a life preserver 🛟, will U 🤡

I’m not impressive or important at all, but my best friend is, and he and I both love you 🙏, it’s okay you can love yourself too

Who knew I had such power???

Hint: Mark Coyle is not my name, but I have forwarded your NIL to the U, and subsequently you will be banished from all Gopher athletic events; the Internet 🛜 Police 👮 have spoken.

I knew you were a bottom line, kind of macho man; so sexy.

A few parting thoughts, as this encounter reminded me why I ignored you previously-

Some people are adroit enough to comprehend that supporting the players and coach is because you are a fan of the team and in being a dedicated fan means rooting for them even when they aren’t playing their best; any chuckle head can be positive, when they’re good, but looking for the positivity when they’re not is an admirable quality, not a disdainful one.

I’m a few birthdays shy of 60 and sports has slowly become less important to me over the last decade, during my belated maturation process. I’ve also had significant life changes/challenges over the last several years, which have lead to a broader perspective.

You may or may not have had significant challenges in your life to this point, but someday you will if you’re blessed to live long enough, as none of us get to stay - “Young, dumb and full of rum,” till the end.

As for me, I’m going to keep a smiling mug on my face and be positive regardless if a W or an L, through good or bad times. I have the freedom to live and post the way I want to, just as you do as well; if I offend you so deeply, you can ignore me or not read my posts- simple, see. I’m on record as saying if we don’t make the NIT this year, then he should be fired. I don’t see the value to my mental or physical well being in complaining incessantly about it until the season is over - if you do, good for you. That’s not my choice and last time I checked, I have one.

Have a great day, unless you’ve made other plans🤗

Wow. I touched a nerve in response to you touching a nerve. For the most part I am ignoring your quoted responses because I'm about breaking the cycle, even though I haven't mastered it.

You're almost 60? That means you are younger than me. Here's some background, in case you didn't fully understand the line beneath my board name.

I am an alumni of dear old UMN. I attended from 1981 to 1986. I had student section football tickets all those years because I could only afford one set of student season tickets in any sport.

I have family that attended UMN and gone to games on campus with them since the mid 70s, when I was old enough to fully comprehend the experience of college athletics.

This means I have seen athletic and academic decline at UMN first hand. In my opinion, a majority of it comes from “agents of change” trying to erode standards because they view them as obstacles, not measuring tools. I have seen the shift to research academics as sheep's clothing, so that undergraduate standards can continue to be eroded.

With all that in mind, I had been the kind of guy who thought how we got to a destination was as important as arriving there. The flaw I found in that thinking is that is the intellectual valve through which experience and historical perspective is jettisoned for the sake of revolution and instability to further fuel it.

I was around campus when the MBB team won its last “official” Big Ten Conference title in 1982. I still have my 1997 Final Four t-shirt in storage. I used to proudly wear it around my father-in-law who is a diehard Hawkeyes fan.

I am a diehard Gopher Sports fan. I also played football and was a shot putter in HS, but didn't get any interest from the Gophers, (the only school that mattered). I played intramural basketball, touch football and softball while in school. I know the toughest thing to face is that you don't have any further sports achievements ahead of you. I know that it is important to support the players, the coaches and the program.

I also know that there are factors outside of the program that affect it. The things that go on inside and outside a program need to be balanced and managed.

The problem, and I feel that you seem to encourage this, is that you are overweighing things to the detriment of the program.

We have had ten years of MBB coaches who we allowed to get on-the-job training because they lacked experience on their resume and it hasn't turned out well. In fact, it has damaged the MBB program more than academic and other off the court scandals did.

I have a sense of pride in, and support for, Gopher Sports, and the University of Minnesota as an educational institution, which spans over fifty years. Never have I seen both aspects of UMN producing so little community good and thus causing such dwindling community good will and appreciation.

I see Gopher Sports as being able to lead the charge in changing that perception, but to the average person on the street that requires winning. That is their bottom line. That is the bottom line which mass media shows them. That is the bottom line in social media and internet searches.

No amount of toxic positivity or socially conscious spindoctoring will change the expectation that people outside of the UMN bubble will expect ‘yes’ to answer the question “is the team winning?”

Last edited:

Then that would be lose not loose. Someone having a little fun with your spelling ability or spellcheck’s ability.
I get it. No tangible evidence pointing to this hire being anywhere close to working out so ya have to jump on someone for an extra o in a word... must be a blast to hang out with y'all.... I'll take my misspelling friends who are realists over liberal moral victory apologists...

Year 3 in today's college came and we still suck... Fucking losers... That all this program is... It's lead by someone who has lost everywhere he's been... But don't worry he will figure it out... 🙄

It is not good! The problem is we have major entities within this state that don't//won't provide NIL monies to athletes. 15 Fortune 500 companies.......And nothing. It is pathetic.

The State of Minnesota would rather bitch and complain that the gophers suck rather than do something about it. It is the LIBERAL views of this State as a whole. Just Saying....

The coach in not GOOD at all. That goes with MONEY$$

Top Bottom