Ben Johnson is a Disaster

There's no chance that Carrington and Christie only play 10 mpg each.
There are only so many minutes to go around. 200 per game to be exact. Typically 8-9 guys will play 10+ min/gm. With the gophers it is typically 7-8. I like Bayfield's listing. My 8-9 guys are: Mitchell, Hawkins, Carrington, Payne, Garcia, Ihnen, Christie, JOJ, Betts.

PG-Hawkins 25-30/Mitchell10-15
SG-Mitchell15-20/Carrington 15-20
SF/WING/3rd G-Carrington/Christie/Betts/JOJ 10/10/10/10?????
PF-Garcia 30/Ihnen 10
C/5-Payne 30/Garcia/Fox/Ihnen/Wilson 10 split up somehow.

That SF/WING/3rd G spot is the wild card. Hope Ben signs someone. Lots of teams play a 3rd G. Can Christie do it? Betts? IDK.

I do not see a time where one of Hawkins/Mitchell aren't on the floor. I do not see a time where one of either Garcia/Payne are not on the floor.

Haven’t watched a Gopher basketball game in 2-3 years, it was a gradual decline and then poof. I once loved watching n going to games. Now, I don’t care. I’m not sure of the exact cause, but it’s safe to say the U is to blame. When a school fails to commit to building a relevant franchise, this is what happens. Based on the attendance the past couple seasons I’d guess there are others like me. Only way I might come back is if the gophers had a top 4/5 team in the Big10 but w NIL that is unlikely to ever happen. My sport is now Gopher Football. I really hope the U doesn’t screw that up too. Spend the dam money!

Haven’t watched a Gopher basketball game in 2-3 years, it was a gradual decline and then poof. I once loved watching n going to games. Now, I don’t care. I’m not sure of the exact cause, but it’s safe to say the U is to blame. When a school fails to commit to building a relevant franchise, this is what happens. Based on the attendance the past couple seasons I’d guess there are others like me. Only way I might come back is if the gophers had a top 4/5 team in the Big10 but w NIL that is unlikely to ever happen. My sport is now Gopher Football. I really hope the U doesn’t screw that up too. Spend the dam money!
You’re not alone, and might even be the prototypical customer they go after should they ever decide to care and rebuild.

D
I'm waiting for you to be so embarrassed by your awful takes that you have to change screen name for the 50th time. You're takes are so awful even someone as dumb as you gets embarrassed.

I listed out the minutes to show how easy it would have been for a competent coach to find 15+ minutes for Battle at his natural position.

You also clearly don't know what the word "probable" means. Chalk up another L for Pilgrim, DieEasy, RockRaven.
Don’t forget MnJay

All it takes is a real swell coach to get somebody to move to Lubbock, TX. Keep telling yourself that.
If Tech had that much money, why not just 1.5x-3x your "investment" and pull in five guys from the top 10 ranked in the country?? Build a McD's All-American All-Star squad??

They got some nice players, but it's still Texas Tech.

They then took those nice players, and made them into a Final Four team .... using coaching!

Didn't know where else to put this. Saw this video on twitter with Carr working out for the Wizards, I would place a bet that he plays in the league next year. Too good not to catch on as an UDFA. Loved watching him play here. Wishing him luck.

100%. There are so many that feel this way. I was a STH for over 20 years. I'll continue to watch some games here and there and hope beyond hope the program will improve; but i just don't see it happening with this school

100%. There are so many that feel this way. I was a STH for over 20 years. I'll continue to watch some games here and there and hope beyond hope the program will improve; but i just don't see it happening with this school
Me too. Used to be a die hard fan. Barely missed a game. Now total apathy has kicked in

The U needs to quickly re-brand. Like fast. Academics, Safety, and certainly Socially ($$$). Honestly, they have a great situation there but are too dumb to “get it”!, Hockey (both genders), Football, are great!!! They NEED to knock down the Barn, build a 9,000 seat, neat, totally modern, arena, and just ROCK the place!! Kids (players) would totally come here! (FYI - Ben J ain’t the guy to do this……..)

I don’t know why CBJ is so quiet about the team and player development. Although he does have a huge upgrade in talent and much better roster balance to work with this year. He has a lot of things to sort out. Good things, but I do wish he could publicly backup the things I’m telling you. I guess it is best to back them up on the court.
I wish he could too. I don’t think anyone doubts you are a plugged in knowledgeable basketball mind, but it would be nice to hear about all this from someone other than the Guru of Gopherhole.

Juwan Howard might be a bigger disaster, at least from a talent-to-results ratio. How can you have two top-15 NBA draft picks not named Hunter Dickinson, AND Hunter Dickinson, and not make the tournament?

Juwan Howard might be a bigger disaster, at least from a talent-to-results ratio. How can you have two top-15 NBA draft picks not named Hunter Dickinson, AND Hunter Dickinson, and not make the tournament?
He has certainly under performed after showing some promise in his first season or two.

The U needs to quickly re-brand. Like fast. Academics, Safety, and certainly Socially ($$$). Honestly, they have a great situation there but are too dumb to “get it”!, Hockey (both genders), Football, are great!!! They NEED to knock down the Barn, build a 9,000 seat, neat, totally modern, arena, and just ROCK the place!! Kids (players) would totally come here! (FYI - Ben J ain’t the guy to do this……..)
U r nuts!

He has certainly under performed after showing some promise in his first season or two.
It's interesting how some of Howard's critics (granted, many of these were MSU fans) insisted that Phil Martelli was the real coach and Howard just a figurehead and recruiter when Michigan was having success. Now that the team is underpreforming those same critics insist Howard is in charge.

On paper, Michigan should have had a much better team. But they had a 5' 10" true Freshman pg (who did show promise at the end of the season) and no competent PF.

They lost several games where they had a lead in the last two minutes. Some attribute that to youth on the team, but I don't think the coaches should be left off the hook for those collapses. Also Jett Howard was drafted on future possibilities, not what he accomplished on the court in college. He has good length and athleticism and showed flashes of excellence in scoring from outside, but he was a liability on defense, hardly rebounded at all, was prone to making Freshman mistakes and played injured at the end of the season.

I think it shows that having NBA draft prospects doesn’t always translate to success for NCAA programs. If it did Kentucky would win the tournament every year

It's interesting how some of Howard's critics (granted, many of these were MSU fans) insisted that Phil Martelli was the real coach and Howard just a figurehead and recruiter when Michigan was having success. Now that the team is underpreforming those same critics insist Howard is in charge.

On paper, Michigan should have had a much better team. But they had a 5' 10" true Freshman pg (who did show promise at the end of the season) and no competent PF.

They lost several games where they had a lead in the last two minutes. Some attribute that to youth on the team, but I don't think the coaches should be left off the hook for those collapses. Also Jett Howard was drafted on future possibilities, not what he accomplished on the court in college. He has good length and athleticism and showed flashes of excellence in scoring from outside, but he was a liability on defense, hardly rebounded at all, was prone to making Freshman mistakes and played injured at the end of the season.
Respectfully, give Michigan’s roster to 90% of P6 coaches and they’d make the tournament. Comfortably.

Respectfully, give Michigan’s roster to 90% of P6 coaches and they’d make the tournament. Comfortably.
Perhaps. He's still pretty new as a college coach, and I'm sure still has a lot to learn. But even with poor showings in his first year and last year he has a .597 winning pct in the Big 10 overall and went to the elite 8 and sweet 16 in 21 and 22 as well as being named AP and Big 10 coach of the year. I'm not saying he's proven to be a great coach or anything yet, but he has had two good seasons and shown to have promise as an effective coach.

Hey....he said with respect before calling Johnson a terrible coach who couldn't even finish in the top half of the conference with a team that has NCAA championship level talent on it. :)

Top Bottom