Ben Johnson is a Disaster

One could argue that the plan is actually falling apart as the freshmen are clearly not good (exception Payne and JOJ *but he plays a style that is easily guarded / replaceable).

- carrington again showed he can’t play at this level
-Henley (outside of a four minute stretch against Nebraska has been terrible)

So freshmen are a huge part of this plan…yet some are clearly proving they can’t play

The good: Garcia, Battle, Payne
Your posts are showing again that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Freshman are freshman. Not all are good immediately. Not all even play much.

Still a disaster. What’s his record? How did the freshmen do (outside of a Payne who is a beast)?

Let’s give him that extension, he may get 3 wins in the big10 in year 2
“How did the freshmen do (but you’re not allowed to count the freshman who played well)”. You can’t possibly be this obtuse.

“How did the freshmen do (but you’re not allowed to count the freshman who played well). You can’t possibly be this obtuse.
He chose the name “wet blanket guy” for a reason. At least he’s staying true to the part

Your posts are showing again that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Freshman are freshman. Not all are good immediately. Not all even play much.
How many games does carrington have to play poorly for people have to admit he’s not great? And when he’s on the floor he has zero emotion and produces zero results.

Take out the games against essentially D2 schools and these would be terrible for a guy playing 23+ minutes and a reigning Mr Basketball
212F73C6-F511-4A71-8E2F-2FF26ED2CE20.jpeg

How many games does carrington have to play poorly for people have to admit he’s not great? And when he’s on the floor he has zero emotion and produces zero results.

Take out the games against essentially D2 schools and these would be terrible for a guy playing 23+ minutes and a reigning Mr Basketball
View attachment 23080
Carrington gave good minutes on D and had a nice assist no one saying he's going all conference. Gave better minutes than JOJ and Henkey tonight

Great to see some improvement and competitive games the last three games! I’m still extremely skeptical, but this was a great start.

View attachment 23080
Good lord, the kid is a true freshman. Yes some freshman are able to make an immediate impact but it is way too soon to make any sort of judgements about what kind of player Carrington is going to be.

He may struggle but Johnson needs to keep sending him out there to gain valuable experience for next season and beyond.

I get that your bit is to be negative, but even someone like you should be able to see some signs of improvement in the way the team is playing these past 3 games.

One could argue that the plan is actually falling apart as the freshmen are clearly not good (exception Payne and JOJ *but he plays a style that is easily guarded / replaceable).

- carrington again showed he can’t play at this level
-Henley (outside of a four minute stretch against Nebraska has been terrible)

So freshmen are a huge part of this plan…yet some are clearly proving they can’t play

The good: Garcia, Battle, Payne
LOL, you truly are a troll. Your schtick is tired and worthless.

Good lord, the kid is a true freshman. Yes some freshman are able to make an immediate impact but it is way too soon to make any sort of judgements about what kind of player Carrington is going to be.

He may struggle but Johnson needs to keep sending him out there to gain valuable experience for next season and beyond.

I get that your bit is to be negative, but even someone like you should be able to see some signs of improvement in the way the team is playing these past 3 games.
If carrington showed an occasional flash of something I wouldn’t ride him…but it’s not there…unless against much lower competition.

If carrington showed an occasional flash of something I wouldn’t ride him…but it’s not there…unless against much lower competition.
The fact that you even feel a need to ride him at all is telling.

Carrington wasn't some can't miss top 50 type prospect who would be expected to come in on day one and dominate.

Kid has appeared in 13 games, he is just getting his feet wet and adjusting to the college game as well as college life.

I know we live in an instant gratification time period but more often than not it takes guys time to make the adjustment from high school to college athletics. We hear a lot about the ones that are able to do it and star right away but I guarantee those guys are the exception and not the rule. Most true freshman need time to develop before they are truly ready to make an impact.

The fact that you even feel a need to ride him at all is telling.

Carrington wasn't some can't miss top 50 type prospect who would be expected to come in on day one and dominate.

Kid has appeared in 13 games, he is just getting his feet wet and adjusting to the college game as well as college life.

I know we live in an instant gratification time period but more often than not it takes guys time to make the adjustment from high school to college athletics. We hear a lot about the ones that are able to do it and star right away but I guarantee those guys are the exception and not the rule. Most true freshman need time to develop before they are truly ready to make an impact.
I think asking him to go hard to the rim once every other game isn’t asking too much. If it is, people have too low of expectations for players in the big 10 conference on a full ride.

Oh Really? You didn't see him show something in the second half tonight? He played great one on one defense vs. Sensabaugh and good help defense the whole time he was in. THAT would be a flash of something, yet you're too much of a tool to realize that.

I think asking him to go hard to the rim once every other game isn’t asking too much. If it is, people have too low of expectations for players in the big 10 conference on a full ride.
Why don’t you just go to your own teams message board and leave this one for Gopher fans. We have a good freshmen class and next years class is even better.

Carrington gave good minutes on D and had a nice assist no one saying he's going all conference. Gave better minutes than JOJ and Henkey tonight
He played nicely in the second half, maybe he's starting to get the idea that allowing easy backdoor cut baskets isn't going to be tolerated. Offense will come, getting rid of the defensive mistakes is critical.

If you can't judge freshman after their first fifteen games at the college level.....when can you?

:rolleyes:
Yeah,it's like King has played a total of 17 minutes this season, Watson 149, I guess those misses are washouts because it will be obvious at this point if they have D1 talent.

There are several ways to "score" in basketball.

Scoring baskets is one way, and the only one some people get. The others are defense and rebounding. As I used to tell my players, sometimes the shots will not fall. Sometimes you will get in a funk. But defense and rebounding is something you can control game in and game out. That is just effort and attitude.

Shutting down or limiting the other team's top scorer is right up there with scoring 25 or more points. Anybody who has played and/or coached basketball knows this. The casual observer goes by points.

There are several ways to "score" in basketball.

Scoring baskets is one way, and the only one some people get. The others are defense and rebounding. As I used to tell my players, sometimes the shots will not fall. Sometimes you will get in a funk. But defense and rebounding is something you can control game in and game out. That is just effort and attitude.

Shutting down or limiting the other team's top scorer is right up there with scoring 25 or more points. Anybody who has played and/or coached basketball knows this. The casual observer goes by points.
He was MR Basketball in the State of MN, not some average recruit who needs to only get by on Defense and Rebounding

View attachment 23080
BY DECREE OF ME -

HENCEFORTH, YOU WILL BE REFERRED TO AS -

🐷 PIGS 🐖 -

Yeah,it's like King has played a total of 17 minutes this season, Watson 149, I guess those misses are washouts because it will be obvious at this point if they have D1 talent.
Iowa State doesn't play King as they are a much better team. Gophers have to play Carrington as they have no guards (this has been discussed many times on this site that they gophers lack guard depth).

The fact that you compare Iowa State to the Gopher situation is somewhat of a joke. ISU is #14 in the country, plays an extremely sr lead roster (80% of their total minutes goes to Seniors) **with the exception of Tamin Lipsey who gets 27.4 min a game**

King and Watson were brought in knowing they would most likely sit a year on a top-25 program before they got some real run.

He was MR Basketball in the State of MN, not some average recruit who needs to only get by on Defense and Rebounding
Not all Mr. Basketball winners are created equal. The last couple have been 1 and done types but that doesn't mean they are all going to be.

Just because he was named that doesn't mean he should be expected to be a star on day one in college. He wasn't even the highest rated of the MN recruits in his class and he wasn't a player that was viewed as a can't miss superstar type of prospect.

Expecting a true freshman to have it all figured out right away is putting way too high of expectations on a kid who just graduated from high school

its ok to state the truth that Carrington has been disappointing in the 5 conference games so far.
2.4 PPG
2.2 RPG
.6 APG
below average on defense
shooing 17% from 3

we would all be kidding ourselves if we werent expecting more from him so far.

its also ok to state the truth that he is still just a freshman 15ish games into his career. while we all expected more from him its clear its gonna take him more time than we all maybe hoped.

lets hope he can take some steps forward the rest of the season!

Henely is anothing guy for me personally as my expectations were more then what he is showing
2.6 PPG
2.4 RPG
1.2 APG
in the Wisonsin and Nebraska games i thought he was really starting to get more comfortable on the court but 3 quick fouls and he never really got a chance to get in the flow of things last night

Top Bottom