Ben Johnson is a Disaster

In the moment, sure.

10-20 years from now, we'll look back on that the same way we now look back upon Reggie Bush and USC. Were they "wrong", or were they just "ahead of their time"?
I don't care if Reggie Bush was provided with cars, a place to live, and money. That stuff is all harmless. Academic fraud is a whole different issue.

I don't care if Reggie Bush was provided with cars, a place to live, and money. That stuff is all harmless. Academic fraud is a whole different issue.
I disagree that that stuff is harmless. All of it--including academic cheating to keep guys eligible--destroys the competitive balance in the game. Besides the obvious fairness and justice issues, a reasonably level playing field of competition is what makes the game interesting and watchable. That's the very core of spectator sports.

Seems arbitrary to me.

Indeed, my point is: I’m talking about a hypothetical future where college teams employ players who don’t attend the school.

"Everybody's doing it, so we shouldn't get in trouble for doing it too" is also a piss-poor defense, particularly when everybody is indeed not engaging in coordinated severe academic fraud.
They fired Clem and booted players involved for cheating. Any other university would have explained this to the NCAA and told them to piss-off.

The U of M: Please also punish our fans for a decade.

I don't condone academic fraud, but it's not any worse than fake majors at NC, which got no punishment or schools that simply pass anyone on the basketball team. No need to even bother with the cheating.

They fired Clem and booted players involved for cheating. Any other university would have explained this to the NCAA and told them to piss-off.

The U of M: Please also punish our fans for a decade.
I mean, no. There are many schools who have suffered that level of punishment or worse.

Also, the fans aren't being "punished" in any way. If you don't want to follow the teams, find something else to do. No one's holding a gun to your head.

Apparently we've reached the point where acknowledging that the University administration had healthy input into the hiring of a major University position is considered "a conspiracy theory".

Who would have ever thunk it?
Conspiracy Theorists, duh!

I don't condone academic fraud, but it's not any worse than fake majors at NC, which got no punishment or schools that simply pass anyone on the basketball team. No need to even bother with the cheating.
To selfishly further push my tangential point: college coaches have never been required to be students at the school while doing that job.

Of course most will say “that’s different!!”

But, why? Is the coaching staff not as important to the team winning as the players? If not the same, then close.

So you’ll watch the college game with grown men, non-students as the coaching staff, but you’ll throw up your hands in disgust and walk away if that were true of the players?

Seems like (another) arbitrary distinction, and so perhaps one day we will find out.

I mean, no. There are many schools who have suffered that level of punishment or worse.

Also, the fans aren't being "punished" in any way. If you don't want to follow the teams, find something else to do. No one's holding a gun to your head.
So what.

There is nothing that requires a school to accept any or all punishment by the NCAA for any reason. What a bizarre comment.

So what.

There is nothing that requires a school to accept any or all punishment by the NCAA for any reason. What a bizarre comment.
Of course there is. You are a member of the NCAA, and if the NCAA says you're no longer a member, you aren't. We don't accept their punishment, we're no longer a member of the NCAA. Who are we going to play? Ourselves? Join the NAIA? Good luck staying in the Big Ten while you're in the NAIA.

Your comment is very dumb, but also stupid. It's akin to saying, "there's nothing that requires me to accept being fired by my employer."

Of course there is. You are a member of the NCAA, and if the NCAA says you're no longer a member, you aren't. We don't accept their punishment, we're no longer a member of the NCAA. Who are we going to play? Ourselves? Join the NAIA? Good luck staying in the Big Ten while you're in the NAIA.

Your comment is very dumb, but also stupid. It's akin to saying, "there's nothing that requires me to accept being fired by my employer."
Your comment is missing the fact other schools do this every day. That was the original comment. Is this going over your head because I am not sure how to break it down in simpler terms for you.

Other schools = courageous, leaders fight = good

U of M = fearful, weak leaders = bad

dpodoll68 = all who disagree must find another sport = dumb

...getting any more clear?

Of course there is. You are a member of the NCAA, and if the NCAA says you're no longer a member, you aren't. We don't accept their punishment, we're no longer a member of the NCAA. Who are we going to play? Ourselves?

Have you ever played with yourself? 🤔

Your comment is missing the fact other schools do this every day. That was the original comment. Is this going over your head because I am not sure how to break it down in simpler terms for you.

Other schools = courageous, leaders fight = good

U of M = fearful, weak leaders = bad

dpodoll68 = all who disagree must find another sport = dumb

...getting any more clear?
Your entire premise is factually wrong. Other schools have been punished as badly or worse. It has nothing to do with "courageousness" or whatever garbage you want to spout, that's your false bravado talking.

There's nothing to agree or disagree with, your comments are factually wrong and it's not a matter of opinion.

It's also not an opinion that you are free to stop following the University of Minnesota sports teams. That too is a fact. I love that you think you are being "punished" as a fan. So not only are you an arrogant macho man, you also have a persecution complex. That's a real winner of a combination.

Your entire premise is factually wrong. Other schools have been punished as badly or worse. It has nothing to do with "courageousness" or whatever garbage you want to spout, that's your false bravado talking.

There's nothing to agree or disagree with, your comments are factually wrong and it's not a matter of opinion.

It's also not an opinion that you are free to stop following the University of Minnesota sports teams. That too is a fact. I love that you think you are being "punished" as a fan. So not only are you an arrogant macho man, you also have a persecution complex. That's a real winner of a combination.
OK, easy there dpod. Dont hurt yourself.

Anyone can fight anything within the system or using the court system as a final arbiter. The NCAA has plenty of risk when it comes to the court system as they are the only game in town when it comes to tier one college sports. The question of one school seemingly getting off easy while another gets crucified IS what we are talking about. The only people that were punished once Clem left was the fans. It did not impact anyone else...

OK, easy there dpod. Dont hurt yourself.

Anyone can fight anything within the system or using the court system as a final arbiter. The NCAA has plenty of risk when it comes to the court system as they are the only game in town when it comes to tier one college sports. The question of one school seemingly getting off easy while another gets crucified IS what we are talking about. The only people that were punished once Clem left was the fans. It did not impact anyone else...
I just noticed your signature line. You're an anti-vaxxer, so not only do you have a persecution complex, you also have no brains. Feel free to continue arguing with yourself in this thread, as I won't be responding. I took it for granted that I wasn't having a conversation with a complete moron.

UNC should have been severely punished. That doesn't conflict with my point at all though. I am as angry as anyone about their special treatment they received.

I just noticed your signature line. You're an anti-vaxxer, so not only do you have a persecution complex, you also have no brains. Feel free to continue arguing with yourself in this thread, as I won't be responding. I took it for granted that I wasn't having a conversation with a complete moron.
This is the basketball board- moron.

Really, a personal shot (pun intended) at something completely unrelated to the last post.

Fair enough... best of luck to you.

You are talking straight from your arse. Look, I laud your optimism and support for the coach. I like Ben. Let's keep it real though.

You have no idea who made the final decision on this hire. We do know that Gabel was all over this one as Coyle admitted. The AD, assuming he made the decision, is obligated to the customers- who are now showing up in small numbers.
Honestly the people who are talking out of their ass are the ones who think we hired a coach because a white cop kneeled on a black man's neck 10 months prior to his appointment. This is big time college athletics some people just want to bailout Coyle and immune him from a potential mistake because he's the white knight who hired PJ. He chose Ben and while I agree it was a preposterous hire given his qualifications, he chose him and gave him a larger annual salary in his first year with Craig Smith. If this doesn't get better Coyle going to have to answer for it, it's on him to be strong and hire the best people for the job that he can.

Honestly the people who are talking out of their ass are the ones who think we hired a coach because a white cop kneeled on a black man's neck 10 months prior to his appointment. This is big time college athletics some people just want to bailout Coyle and immune him from a potential mistake because he's the white knight who hired PJ. He chose Ben and while I agree it was a preposterous hire given his qualifications, he chose him and gave him a larger annual salary in his first year with Craig Smith. If this doesn't get better Coyle going to have to answer for it, it's on him to be strong and hire the best people for the job that he can.
I imagine it was a number of factors but Ben himself kinda implied that the racial events of the day played a role in his hire.

I want to be a choo-choo driver

Hey! they crossed the line! They drew first blood when they prevented me from attending!
Now you did it. You're a dirty, filthy ant-vaxxer MoFo. GTFO of here and don't come back. And even more importantly, NOW your opinions don't mean jack shit; Until now, we all thought you were an okay person.

Top Bottom