Ben Johnson is a Disaster

Honestly the people who are talking out of their ass are the ones who think we hired a coach because a white cop kneeled on a black man's neck 10 months prior to his appointment.
That isn't the single, only reason why there could have been pressure to diversify the revenue sport head coaches skin colors.

That isn't the single, only reason why there could have been pressure to diversify the revenue sport head coaches skin colors.
The U stated during that time that Coyle needed to improve coach diversity. It’s not debatable

The U stated during that time that Coyle needed to improve coach diversity. It’s not debatable
Can you share the document with us here Beeg? I would like to read it.

The hiring of Ben Johnson is consistent with the type of coaches Coyle likes to hire. People who are deeply committed to the U and seem to have the skills and ability to build something. He is willing to take a risk and take a big leap, if it means there is the potential of a big reward. Minnesota is producing some top end talent and getting a local player/coach with local connections seemed like a solid play to try and keep local talent around. Unfortunately a poorly timed Star Tribune article about coaching and race made Ben's hiring seem like it was a racially motivated hire.

I believe Coyle had a budget, and hired someone within those confines that matched his preference and hiring style. I think Ben hit a home run with chemistry and hustle last year and this year the team has a higher ceiling long term, but lacks some of what made last years team competitive. It is embarrassing what is going on and if next year is the same results that he is gone and we hopefully get a big budget to make a splash hire with the new B1G money.

Can you share the document with us here Beeg? I would like to read it.
Google is so hard Beeg 😵‍💫

"With men's basketball coach Richard Pitino's tenure likely nearing an end, the Gophers' lack of diverse leadership is drawing renewed scrutiny. Even before the speculation about Pitino's future, Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren had noticed how the university's president, Joan Gabel, athletic director Mark Coyle and all 19 head coaches are white.

"They're aware," Warren said of Gabel's and Coyle's recognition of Minnesota's diversity gap. "I trust them. And I trust that they will always be focused on doing the right thing."

In the midst of renewed calls for racial equality after George Floyd's death under the knee of a Minneapolis police officer in May, the Gophers have fallen behind their peers in diversity hiring."

I imagine it was a number of factors but Ben himself kinda implied that the racial events of the day played a role in his hire.
This is Coyle thinking he's the smartest man in the room. Thinking he knows something about Ben and his fit here that apparently no one else does. I hope he's right long term. The market clearly shows he could have gotten someone more qualified at the same budget.

"With men's basketball coach Richard Pitino's tenure likely nearing an end, the Gophers' lack of diverse leadership is drawing renewed scrutiny. Even before the speculation about Pitino's future, Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren had noticed how the university's president, Joan Gabel, athletic director Mark Coyle and all 19 head coaches are white.

"They're aware," Warren said of Gabel's and Coyle's recognition of Minnesota's diversity gap. "I trust them. And I trust that they will always be focused on doing the right thing."

In the midst of renewed calls for racial equality after George Floyd's death under the knee of a Minneapolis police officer in May, the Gophers have fallen behind their peers in diversity hiring."
The very idea of a "diversity hire" seems to be passing over a more highly qualified person to give the job to a minority candidate. If the gap between the more qualified candidate & the minority hire isn't too great, things may work out.

BUT, given that CBJ was so vastly under qualified for such a highly competitive job as a B1G head coach, things are almost sure to go horribly wrong. Even coaches with impeccable credentials often hit a brick wall facing B1G opponents. Its one of the most difficult jobs in sports.

What I'm trying to say is that hiring an unqualified candidate does not advance the cause for diversity. Just look at the derision it is causing on this board.

The very idea of a "diversity hire" seems to be passing over a more highly qualified person to give the job to a minority candidate. If the gap between the more qualified candidate & the minority hire isn't too great, things may work out.

BUT, given that CBJ was so vastly under qualified for such a highly competitive job as a B1G head coach, things are almost sure to go horribly wrong. Even coaches with impeccable credentials often hit a brick wall facing B1G opponents. Its one of the most difficult jobs in sports.

What I'm trying to say is that hiring an unqualified candidate does not advance the cause for diversity. Just look at the derision it is causing on this board.
You are 100% correct. It honestly does a disservice to everyone involved, but it makes certain groups of white folks feel like they are "doing something", so there's that I guess...

That wasn't so hard now was it.? This is an article about the B1G commissioner observing the lack of diversity. Now, is there an article where the University expresses that they hired to fill a diversity quota with no concern for a quality coach?

My contention is that if Coyle is going to hire a rookie coach in Whalen, then he is equally able to hire a rookie coach in Johnson. In both instances he may have thought the coaches would grow into the job and be successful. The person to complain about is the AD who chose the coaches.

Since I gave Whalen 3 years before I questioned her coaching skills, I need to be just as patient with Johnson.

I know that fans want instant success. We look around and want to be top 25 now. We compare ourselves with others and we want to be able to brag. But, the reality is we are where we are.

YEP.

While it's mentioned as a side point in this article, the idea that this was solely driven by Floyd's death is just not accurate.

Lots of direction provided for hiring people over the past decade. Qualifications not necessarily needed.

Just curious, is Ben still a disaster? Took down the number on offense in the country on their own court. Bam!
He never has been a disaster - as you know - and he continues to show his true colors.

Looking like a team coming together. Will take time, but if you actually enjoy watching development, this is fun.

I was glad they mic'd up the coaches so the whiners could see that Coach Johnson knows what he's about. There is a plan.
Be sure we will lose more than we win, but these kids are learning what they need to do to compete and win in the B1G.

Still a disaster. What’s his record? How did the freshmen do (outside of a Payne who is a beast)?

Let’s give him that extension, he may get 3 wins in the big10 in year 2

Please take the post Gopher win temper tantrum to the Tommies bball board. Although....you might just be responding to yourself....as nobody cares.

I was glad they mic'd up the coaches so the whiners could see that Coach Johnson knows what he's about. There is a plan.
Be sure we will lose more than we win, but these kids are learning what they need to do to compete and win in the B1G.
One could argue that the plan is actually falling apart as the freshmen are clearly not good (exception Payne and JOJ *but he plays a style that is easily guarded / replaceable).

- carrington again showed he can’t play at this level
-Henley (outside of a four minute stretch against Nebraska has been terrible)

So freshmen are a huge part of this plan…yet some are clearly proving they can’t play

The good: Garcia, Battle, Payne

One could argue that the plan is actually falling apart as the freshmen are clearly not good (exception Payne and JOJ *but he plays a style that is easily guarded / replaceable).

So freshmen are a huge part of this plan…yet some are clearly proving they can’t play

hRlphKo.jpg

Finally put you on ignore, can’t listen to your rant any longer

You really are reaching to continue your narrative. FR clearly not good enough IF you take away 1/2 of them. Nice logic.

Not sure what you were watching, but Carrington played great in the second half on the defensive end. He shut Sensabaugh down the entire time he was in. Yes his offensive game has been a struggle of late, but he's not letting that impact his play on the other end.
Henley has played improved ball over the past three games and he will continue to show flashes of what he will bring to the team in the future.

Top Bottom