Ben Johnson is a Disaster

Ok, I'll walk it back. I'm sure Delasalle never used their money and resources to bring in top athletes. Now maybe you can tell me how it works that this team doesn't seem to know what defense is, let alone how to execute it, when they have a hall of fame coach who's built players for years?
Well, if I came off as cross it isn’t you, its the persistence of these ideas that De has, or would throw around resources if they had them.

De La Salle almost closed multiple times for lack of money between 1972 the early 2000s for lack of money and resources.

Before that, the brothers there famously worked as teachers for food and heat.

I literally did janitorial work while going to school there, as did my brothers and sisters.

De La Salle kicked out the best basketball player in state history out of the school before his senior year. That was Thorson.

Another year I can think of (1993) lost 2 of the top players in the state -how come they didn’t pay those two?

I guess its frustrating to hear after all the scrounging and scraping for resources that I had to do myself (and watched others do). Then we hear this, and it’s usually from places that are far better off.

i’ll get back to you on the 2nd part.

Well, if I came off as cross it isn’t you, its the persistence of these ideas that De has, or would throw around resources if they had them.

De La Salle almost closed multiple times for lack of money between 1972 the early 2000s for lack of money and resources.

I literally did janitorial work while going to school there, as did my brothers and sisters.

De La Salle kicked out the best basketball player in state history out of the school before his senior year. That was Thorson.

Another year I can think of (1993) lost 2 of the top players in the state -how come they didn’t pay those two?

I guess its frustrating to hear after all the scrounging and scraping for resources that I had to do myself (and watched others do). Then we hear this, and it’s usually from places that are far better off.

Private schools give athletes they want tuition scholarships. They don’t pay them. Another advantage they have over public schools is more easily making kids eligible to participate.
Especially, with 8th grade and younger.

Brother Roberts forever!

No way should there be any thought of firing Ben after this season because of wins and losses.
Next year? We need clear progress.

No way should there be any thought of firing Ben after this season because of wins and losses.
Next year? We need clear progress.
No chance. They will give him 6-7 year minimum.

Probably, not just but when you clearly recruit the best players at the high school level and play in a lower HS class division…you do have a pretty big advantage over your opponents.
De la Salle usually plays up a class.

Clearly recruit? Based on what? Do you have a specific allegation?

Private schools give athletes they want tuition scholarships. They don’t pay them. Another advantage they have over public schools is more easily making kids eligible to participate.
Especially, with 8th grade and younger.
Wait what? Easier to make younger kids participate than a public school? With direct feeder schools bs an admissions process; It’s far more difficult that’s self evident.

De La Salle’s mission is educate poor kids. 55% of students get scholarships. This is not an advantage over a free school. Especially suburban schools or Southwest and Washburn, it’s not even close.

I don’t think people understand how often great players get the boot.

No one has said anything remotely close.
The point is YOU said Mn is a young team. Three of five starters have 3 years each. That's not young. Twist and turn all you want.
How many players do you need to honestly compete? My point is made and you're too stubborn to admit it.

Michigan fan here. I know some of the angst about this Gopher team is due to the lopsided loss to Michigan. The Wolverines were a poor 3 point shooting team leading up to this game, but shot 55.6% against your Gophers. Some of this may have been due to poor Minnesota defense, but the same players who seemingly couldn't miss in this game were missing wide open 3s in previous games.
What I'm saying is this game was an aberration--not the usual Michigan offense, and it was not solely due to the Gopher defense. It's easy to lose against a team when a high percentage of even contested shots are going in. Don't use this one game to judge the team; let the season play out and then make your assessment.

Sorry Weatherman, firing Ben Johnson would be a fool's errand. Like Haskins, he will win over time, unlike Clem, he'll do it without shaming the University. Why do I say that? Parents and their children who have committed to play for Minnesota could have played for many other schools. Some of his current and future recruits could have played for any basketball school. Yet, they chose Ben and Minnesota. They know better than you and the other detractors on this thread who the man Ben Johnson is and will continue to be. There will be slow improvement as the season continues, mark my words. Actually is will continue tonight against MSU. My advise, take a rest, learn some patience and be thankful Mark Coyle was and is smarter than you.

Michigan fan here. I know some of the angst about this Gopher team is due to the lopsided loss to Michigan. The Wolverines were a poor 3 point shooting team leading up to this game, but shot 55.6% against your Gophers. Some of this may have been due to poor Minnesota defense, but the same players who seemingly couldn't miss in this game were missing wide open 3s in previous games.
What I'm saying is this game was an aberration--not the usual Michigan offense, it was not solely due to the Gopher defense. It's easy to lose against a team when a high percentage of even contested shots are going in. Don't use this one game to judge the team; let the season play out and then make your assessment.
Maybe true, but by the same token, Dickinson was on a pod last week essentially laughing at how terrible the Gophers were. We were down 25-30 a good chunk of time so it would have been 18-24 otherwise, cool.

Like Haskins, he will win over time, unlike Clem, he'll do it without shaming the University. Why do I say that? Parents and their children who have committed to play for Minnesota could have played for many other schools. Some of his current and future recruits could have played for any basketball school. Yet, they chose Ben and Minnesota.

Yeah, and about 37,000 people gave their money to Bernie Madoff too.

I'm not saying Ben can't succeed here but that's one of the dumbest arguments I've ever read.

Are you a bumpkin or do you just think we're all dumb enough to be convinced by that?

Someone needs to tell Coach Oxton that college basketball is not HS basketball. You need guards to win and be competitive, unlike HS in which you can ride a big man to victory. Fox and Ihnen would change nothing as they are just more or the same (bigger / slower players who are not great shooters).

- the 70” tv is somewhat acceptable but that leads to maybe the Barn needs to go for a more modern arena…or, maybe they need to not be dead last in the big ten for 2 years in a row to get some butts in the seats
You clearly know more about basketball than a top high school coach.

What I'm saying is this game was an aberration--not the usual Michigan offense, and it was not solely due to the Gopher defense. It's easy to lose against a team when a high percentage of even contested shots are going in. Don't use this one game to judge the team; let the season play out and then make your assessment.

Thanks, we appreciate the self-deprecation, but other teams having their "game of the year" against us is a Minnesota Tradition.

Go Gophers!!

I'm getting sick and tired of the loudest wannabe (keyboard) tough guys spitting out thread titles like this. We are all disappointed with the team so far this year, but maybe have a thread title that's a bit more respectful of the coaches and team?

I'm getting sick and tired of the loudest wannabe (keyboard) tough guys spitting out thread titles like this. We are all disappointed with the team so far this year, but maybe have a thread title that's a bit more respectful of the coaches and team?
This is solely about the coaching we have seen. There is very little negativity regarding the players. Ben gets paid millions to coach. I think he can take it, it is literally what he signed up for.

You clearly know more about basketball than a top high school coach.
You’re delusional if you think college basketball is run by big guys and not guards (the coach clearly thinks big guys and slow forwards win NCAA games)

OK, I'll bite. How many years have YOU had season tickets?

Top Bottom