Ben Johnson is a Disaster

I don't buy for a minute that Ben was Coyle's decision, not for a second.
then i hope the U gets rid of coyle. Need an AD smart enough to know when not to obey the administration.

there's an old quote i'm sure to butcher. a general disobeys his King's order. When the general went to apologize to the King, the King said 'I gave you a commission not because I thought you'd obey my orders, but because you're smart enough to know when not to'

He is the worst coach of my lifetime in any Minnesota sport.

This is on Coyle and not Ben. No one wanted Ben. He couldn't even get a MAC job. Yet Coyle thought it was a bright idea to hand him the keys to a B1G job.
The story goes that Coyle was dictated to on this hire.

You'll never find a document saying that, hidden in some vault at the U. They would never risk it being found. So you'll only be able to believe what you want to believe.

You'll never find a document saying that, hidden in some vault at the U. They would never risk it being found. So you'll only be able to believe what you want to believe.

Yep. And to make matters worse they paid him way more than fair market value based on his experience. This will be about a 7 year mess to clean up

He was ‘blown away’. Now does that sound like something a leader would say?

I think the pressure was more subtle than that and came from a committee of people including one or more from the top who expressed certain well wishes about hiring someone who is a native, alumni, past employee, and who would address the "equity gap." Coyle probably is savvy enough to know where his bread is buttered and to pick his battles. I think Coyle and any other decision makers also wanted to do this on the cheap as the athletic department appears to be struggling financially.

Unfortunately, if Ben is fired within another year or two, I suspect they'll also try to find a replacement on the cheap. I suppose it can be done. Shrewsberry at PSU was a coach of similar stature who was hired for similar compensation. They're doing well enough. Probably NIT bound at least this season.

Yep. And to make matters worse they paid him way more than fair market value based on his experience. This will be about a 7 year mess to clean up

They paid him at the bottom of the league. If they went much below that, it would have raised a lot of eyebrows. Granted, the Big Ten normally isn't an entry level job for head coaches but Penn State hired Shrewsberry, a coach of fairly similar stature, for a bit more money.

The buyout I've seen is $1.95 million but it starts to go down incrementally if he is fired after April 30th of this season.

then i hope the U gets rid of coyle. Need an AD smart enough to know when not to obey the administration.

there's an old quote i'm sure to butcher. a general disobeys his King's order. When the general went to apologize to the King, the King said 'I gave you a commission not because I thought you'd obey my orders, but because you're smart enough to know when not to'

That sounds more like a fable from the olden times rather than sound career advice.

The problem is Coyle can't hire someone without the administration's approval.

Yep- which reduces the core long run problem in sports at the U to the issue that U of M administration has never been all that serious about competing in the major sports. It appears that they view the whole think as a necessary evil/irritation rather than something that adds any real value to the University of Minnesota experience.

Coyle is just one of many who have come along and faced this issue, it seems, at least from the outside looking in.

He was ‘blown away’. Now does that sound like something a leader would say?
doesn't he have to say that as he just hired someone who couldn't land jobs at much lesser schools? What else is he supposed to say to the public...

This should be a thread in itself...somewhat of a contest thread...pretend you're Coyle, you hire a guy who can't get hired anywhere else (Northern Illinois or Montana State), yet a B10 school decides to hire him...write your presser to the public to get them fired up (you know you would have something along the lines of "he just absolutely blew me away in the interview"...as you know his resume is bullshit and there is literally no reason for him to be hired

They paid him at the bottom of the league. If they went much below that, it would have raised a lot of eyebrows. Granted, the Big Ten normally isn't an entry level job for head coaches but Penn State hired Shrewsberry, a coach of fairly similar stature, for a bit more money.

The buyout I've seen is $1.95 million but it starts to go down incrementally if he is fired after April 30th of this season.
$1.95 million is nothing. Drawing 9,000/game with a new coach next year vs 2,000 with Ben would make that up quick.

Neither the King nor the general in your scenario were working for a State government entity, in the 21st century.

steven jobs: “It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do. We hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.
Steve Jobs wasn't working for a State government entity when he made this quote. We're talking about the GOVERNMENT here, brother. Decisions are very, very often made that are NOT merit-based. Like virtually every day

Coyle has been part of successful departments and made successful hires. I'm not ready to blow it up after this year on the men's and women's side, but next year is it for both coaches. I trust Coyle will make the right call when needed.

I know this is the reality, but the man is one of the highest paid ADs in college sports at nearly $1 million per year. He’s paid that much to make those difficult decisions and defend them against people whose attention and interests are elsewhere. If his hand was forced by his boss, then bring in someone else at a fraction of the cost and have Gabel make all coaching hires.

$1.95 million is nothing. Drawing 9,000/game with a new coach next year vs 2,000 with Ben would make that up quick.
They are still getting paid for 8000 + so they may be lulled to sleep until another 4000 cancel. Those core 8000, many of whom came up through the Musselman era and then Dutch and Haskins are being taken for granted as a given. We'll see how long that lasts.

I think the pressure was more subtle than that and came from a committee of people including one or more from the top who expressed certain well wishes about hiring someone who is a native, alumni, past employee, and who would address the "equity gap." Coyle probably is savvy enough to know where his bread is buttered and to pick his battles. I think Coyle and any other decision makers also wanted to do this on the cheap as the athletic department appears to be struggling financially.

Unfortunately, if Ben is fired within another year or two, I suspect they'll also try to find a replacement on the cheap. I suppose it can be done. Shrewsberry at PSU was a coach of similar stature who was hired for similar compensation. They're doing well enough. Probably NIT bound at least this season.
They are going to keep him at least 2 more years - no doubt about it. In fact, I hope to never go through this again with an up and comer coach. If they can't hire a homerun- stick with Ben. This is a brutal job and getting worse. I sure hope he can get this done.

A year from now Ben will still be coach of the Minnesota Golden Gophers Men's Basketball team regardless of anything said here. By then lets hope there is no reason for this thread to exist.

A year from now Ben will still be coach of the Minnesota Golden Gophers Men's Basketball team regardless of anything said here. By then lets hope there is no reason for this thread to exist.
Honest question, if we finish 2-18 this year and are 2-10 at this point next year, do you think he is still safe?

They are still getting paid for 8000 + so they may be lulled to sleep until another 4000 cancel. Those core 8000, many of whom came up through the Musselman era and then Dutch and Haskins are being taken for granted as a given. We'll see how long that lasts.
They can't be naive enough to think 5,000 people who aren't showing up are going to keep paying for tickets, can they?

Honest question, if we finish 2-18 this year and are 2-10 at this point next year, do you think he is still safe?
He is safe through the end of the year next year either way I think. If he does not have some sort of positive results at the end of the year and even greater expectations for the following year I think he is gone.

They are going to keep him at least 2 more years - no doubt about it. In fact, I hope to never go through this again with an up and comer coach. If they can't hire a homerun- stick with Ben. This is a brutal job and getting worse. I sure hope he can get this done.
I hope he can get id done as well. It would be sweet to have a hometown guy leading a very successful program.

Spring/Summer 2023 is the key for cbj, I think. MUST land a lead guard or two. Must manage the entire roster, as its almost inevitable someone will leave. Gotta keep JOJ and PP, imo. Henley needs 20 lbs and muscle - he just isn't strong enough now to run to the rim against the conference teams. Carrington appears unengaged to me, and has all season. Could be a wrong observation, of course.

I'm just not feeling good about his chances. Evans will certainly help on defense quickly, I would think. Next season is make or break for him.

Have a company that does some recruiting for technology people and you might be shocked at how many big companies are saying "Of course we are open to people of all race, creed religion, etc for this position however we are only considering diversity candidates right now - and then they never open it up to anyone else"

I have a rule not to work with companies that ask me to screen out people based on race and gender but I can tell you it is common practice right now with some companies. The U making a diversity hire would be the least surprising news I could hear on the Gophers.

Last edited:

Neither the King nor the general in your scenario were working for a State government entity, in the 21st century.
Right if Coyle went rogue the contract wouldn’t have been approved. He can’t just go do what he wants

Coyle has been part of successful departments and made successful hires. I'm not ready to blow it up after this year on the men's and women's side, but next year is it for both coaches. I trust Coyle will make the right call when needed.
They're gonna give Ben at least 4+ years

They're gonna give Ben at least 4+ years
Anyone that holds to the premise that this job hire was overseen by Gabel (as I do) needs to also realize the firing would also be under her "guidance". He's here for a while and I want him to succeed.

Top Bottom