Bateman opting out of 2020 Football Season

There are still 31 other guys playing. Maybe it whittles down to 25 or 20. But Bateman will have forever quit on his team and let down a generation of kids who grew up knowing him as their first great Gopher.

You’re one of the anti-Tight End guys. Now they’ll HAVE to be more involved in the game. That’s really what this is all about, isn’t it? :unsure:

One wonders if the next pillar to fall in the sports world will be that football players will be able to declare for the draft following two years out of high school (ie true sophomores/redshirt freshmen). Bateman and Parsons would have been high draft picks this past year, had they been allowed to declare. What's the legitimate reason to limit players from being able to declare, particularly in this most meat-grinding of sports? Again, I come back to the finite nature of the football career and to force players to participate at the college level without pay for three years (as there is no viable alternative, like there is for basketball), seems patently unfair.

The only reason is that is what has been collectively bargained for with the NFLPA. We'll that and the NFL get's another year of free development of players via NCAA football.

He's one of the best freshman college football players that I've ever seen coming from my home state of MN. Where are you from? Ur not from 'round here I guess.
:)

you’re sensitive

One wonders if the next pillar to fall in the sports world will be that football players will be able to declare for the draft following two years out of high school (ie true sophomores/redshirt freshmen). Bateman and Parsons would have been high draft picks this past year, had they been allowed to declare. What's the legitimate reason to limit players from being able to declare, particularly in this most meat-grinding of sports? Again, I come back to the finite nature of the football career and to force players to participate at the college level without pay for three years (as there is no viable alternative, like there is for basketball), seems patently unfair.
Your arguments are all good — but think about it from the NFL and NFLPA’s point of view.

Doesn’t seem like either have anything to gain by that change. And the major colleges are basically their - for free - minor league, and might be hurt by losing star players a year earlier, so why would they want to do that to them?

I can't fault the kid - every kid goes to college with the hope of providing for themselves and potentially their family. He has a chance to do exactly that - who am I to rip that decision? He didn't bail on us when UGA came calling, or the other SEC schools, and put a RTB tat on his body. More important than the 2 years of memories he gave us - he's going to go down as a guy who showed that you can come out of the deep south and excel here in Dinkytown. That's going to be more impactful than we can see today.

RB was on ESPN's First Take and talked about his asthma issues which I was unaware of. Can't fault him one bit for his decision and wish him all the best in the next phase of his life. Thank you for making being a Gopher fan enjoyable these last two years Rashod.
Didn’t know he had asthma!! Then it makes it much more of a no brainer.

And makes the people hating on him for his decision, that much more of gutless cowards.

RB was on ESPN's First Take and talked about his asthma issues which I was unaware of. Can't fault him one bit for his decision and wish him all the best in the next phase of his life. Thank you for making being a Gopher fan enjoyable these last two years Rashod.

He has asthma issues, good move. No criticism from me on that.

Are you speculating that the agent got in his ear and convinced him to sit out?

Genuine question, with no judgement either way.

As has already been expressed well on this thread — even if he did, it was Rashod’s final decision to make, and we all respect his decision and wish him well. Already did more for Gopher football in two years than many.

I just knew he had been there well before this announcement. At the time I didn’t even this this was a possibility, I had more concern over improper benefits as some bad actor agents are known to give from time to time. I don’t know much about these guys, have read a few articles and follow them on Twitter. That’s how I knew he was there, I recognized the patio space.

I think he probably had them in his ear a bit. Small agency with a chance to get a 1st round pick. Not sure they would have his best interest at heart because they have a conflict of interest, likewise anyone at the U also does in providing him advice.

IMO he made a good decision, with the uncertainty around the season. He’s a pretty sure 1st/2nd round pick. He has enough tape.

And makes the people hating on him for his decision, that much more of gutless cowards.

That’s fine, but it’s also interesting that he doesn’t really do social distancing away from football, according to stuff he posts all the time on his Instagram story. But, I understand...I was 20 once, and I’ve already said I’d make the same move he did, so I can’t really fault him without looking like a hypocrite. There’s life changing money waiting for him. There will be many more high end players to follow.

Hopefully some players from Wisc, Mich, and Iowa opt out as well!

Just because someone doesn't agree with his decision doesn't make them a gutless coward. Everyone has a right to speak their opinion even if you don't agree with it.

Just because someone doesn't agree with his decision doesn't make them a gutless coward. Everyone has a right to speak their opinion even if you don't agree with it.

Hmmmm. Not agreeing with someone's decision is totally different than calling Rashod a "coward", a "piece of sh*t" and saying you "lost all respect for him."

Wouldn't you agree?

Smart decision for Rashad. He's getting a head start on the rest class. Football in the fall is gloomy at best. Sign with an agent and start training for the combine. Id say it has less to do with covid health concerns and more to do with Fall football looking unlikely or unconventional. While he's sited the virus Rashad has been out and about, just look at his Instagram. BTW 2020 sucks!

Being that Rashod is Black, how long did anyone think John Galt was going to support him at any point after he no longer serves his fandom needs? For anyone who visits the Off Topic Board this comes as zero surprise.
Whenever I disagree with someone I just call them a racist and I win...

There is no “agreeing or disagreeing” with the decision. It’s purely Rashad’s decision, not anything that fans need to weigh in on. We can be sad/angry/happy for him but there’s no need for disagreement on something that has nothing to do with us as fans. And yes people calling RB names are gutless cowards.

Hmmmm. Not agreeing with someone's decision is totally different than calling Rashod a "coward", a "piece of sh*t" and saying you "lost all respect for him."

Wouldn't you agree?
Who called him a coward or piece of sh&t?

I said that I lost respect for him. Respect is a pretty subjective thing, and everyone has different criteria. Surprised that it set you off so much.

I said that I lost respect for him. Respect is a pretty subjective thing, and everyone has different criteria. Surprised that it set you off so much.
See post #13

Whenever I disagree with someone I just call them a racist and I win...

Who's winning anything? You've demonstrated time and again in OTB that you are extremely anti BLM and anything that has to do with the rights and treatment of Black persons and completely and absolutely deny any systemic (or really just) racism anywhere. (You were just complaining in a thread the other day because you aren't allowed to use the 'n' word).

You are free to be that person, but i will call you out on it until the day you stop posting or the day you finally change. No room for that here or anywhere else.

Who's winning anything? You've demonstrated time and again in OTB that you are extremely anti BLM and anything that has to do with the rights and treatment of Black persons and completely and absolutely deny any systemic (or really just) racism anywhere. (You were just complaining in a thread the other day because you aren't allowed to use the 'n' word).

You are free to be that person, but i will call you out on it until the day you stop posting or the day you finally change. No room for that here or anywhere else.
How disgusting, to complain that GH won’t allow you to use the N word.

Whenever I disagree with someone I change the topic and call them a racist.

Mjfelton15. I quoted more than one person. Its not all about you, Johnathan

Wishing you the the best Rashod and will miss you. We'll miss that man that leads by his actions, skill and athleticism. You provided Minnesota with many great memories that contributed to our team's success. Best of luck to you and all your loved ones and hope you have a safe, healthy and great career.

https://247sports.com/player/rashod-bateman-46040957/

If by chance you know Deion Colzie. Tell him how great it is at Minnesota and if he would like to sign with us and be part Gopher Nation. We would love to have him. It would be a natural transition from one great Georgia receiver to the next Gopher wideout legend. Got to keep that Georgia pipeline coming.

Any one of you out there as well as Deion, Grad transfers or W/R want to punch your NFL ticket.
Job open at Minnesota

I have so many good memories from last season. Being at the home games and watching the bowl and road games. What a dynamic passing attack we witnessed.

Many thanks to Rashod for stretching the field, amazing grabs and runs after catches, and for being a great Gopher. I will definitely be a cheering him on during his NFL career.

Sometime we will be able attend a Gopher game again and I bet that this team will continue to entertain for years to come.

Top Bottom