Bateman opting out of 2020 Football Season

Micah parsons - 3
Rondale Moore - 4
This really only strengthens my point. There are 50-60 guys that have a legitimate shot to be 1st round picks and could choose to opt out. Only 4 have and camp starts tomorrow. Even if 10 opt out it means 80+% are playing. Justin Fields and multiple other guys have said they never considered it. Trevor Lawrence is guaranteed to be the #1 pick and Fields is basically a lock to be #2. Trey Lance is supposed to be a top 10 pick and is playing for North Dakota St. I personally think the guys playing will help themselves and the guys opting out will end up being drafted lower than they would have. We’ll see...

This really only strengthens my point. There are 50-60 guys that have a legitimate shot to be 1st round picks and could choose to opt out. Only 4 have and camp starts tomorrow. Even if 10 opt out it means 80+% are playing. Justin Fields and multiple other guys have said they never considered it. Trevor Lawrence is guaranteed to be the #1 pick and Fields is basically a lock to be #2. Trey Lance is supposed to be a top 10 pick and is playing for North Dakota St. I personally think the guys playing will help themselves and the guys opting out will end up being drafted lower than they would have. We’ll see...
You’re point was only two guys did it.

4 guys have now done it.

you think this strengthens your point?
Are you dumb?

Guys playing will help themselves if they don't get hurt. Trade off is the risk vs reward. If you're a top 20 pick and you drop to say a top 40 pick, financially you're still set for life. If you get a career ending injury by playing another year of college ball, then you'll be working for the next several decades.

4 guys have now done it.

Are you dumb?

Greg Rousseau from Miami is another 1st round player who opted out today.

4 guys have now done it.

Are you dumb?
What I stated, 2 guys have done it, was a fact at the time. Facts changed.

Why is Trey Lance playing? And Fields? Should I list 50 guys that are?
No, you shouldn’t.

You just keep claiming that guys opting out proves your point that nobody is opting out but Bateman

That’ll show everyone you are smart and I am dumb

This one is expected to return next year. He says he’s redshirting.

I could care less what color he is. He quit on his teammates before the job was finished. In my book that qualifies as a quitter. A real disappointment to my younger Gopher fans.

I could care less what color he is. He quit on his teammates before the job was finished. In my book that qualifies as a quitter. A real disappointment to my younger Gopher fans.
We need “fans” like you to quit.

Do you feel the same about guys who stop playing due to injuries? What about high school juniors who don’t go out as seniors?

Serious question

Who called him a coward or piece of sh&t?

I said that I lost respect for him. Respect is a pretty subjective thing, and everyone has different criteria. Surprised that it set you off so much.

One of your good buddies from the OTB, mjfelton.

I think players like Lawrence or Fields are less likely to opt out since they have a legit shot at a national title. Then again, this year is crazy. So many unknowns.

Just watched a few snippets of Rashod's interview with ESPN and he made it very clear that this was a health decision based almost entirely on his asthma and his concerns regarding other family members. He also stated he will opt out in the NFL if they fail to address COVID in similar fashion to the NCAA. In other words, he'd still be here without COVID and unless they get this virus under control, he may not play for awhile (even in the NFL).

A true bummer for everyone, but there was no reasonable way forward for Rashod under these circumstances imo. A very tough decision, but one I fully support.

I had a job once that I quit. Pretty sure I didn't opt out. I could have decided to continue in the job, but no, I made a decision to quit. People do it every day, they quit one thing to start another. The term opting out is a lame term, quitting (for the guys hiring agents who are also quitting school), is more accurate. No need to sugar coat it, these guys are quitting. Some have good reasons to quit, some have selfish reasons to quit, but they are quitting none the less, moving on. Good luck to them.

Kinda like dying. Some can't handle the real term, so they move on. Heck, maybe people will call it Opting Out in the future, who knows.

I had a job once that I quit. Pretty sure I didn't opt out. I could have decided to continue in the job, but no, I made a decision to quit. People do it every day, they quit one thing to start another. The term opting out is a lame term, quitting (for the guys hiring agents who are also quitting school), is more accurate. No need to sugar coat it, these guys are quitting. Some have good reasons to quit, some have selfish reasons to quit, but they are quitting none the less, moving on. Good luck to them.

Kinda like dying. Some can't handle the real term, so they move on. Heck, maybe people will call it Opting Out in the future, who knows.
Technically you're not wrong, but the terms carry different connotations and that is why the term "opting out" is being used, which is totally fair IMO in Rashod's case.

Reactions: MRJ

Technically you're not wrong, but the terms carry different connotations and that is why the term "opting out" is being used, which is totally fair IMO in Rashod's case.
Rashod quit for medical reasons, good move for him.

False. People make career moves all the time. They're not quitting their career. They're taking the next step in improving said career. I guess if you want to be a bitter little b*tch, you could say someone quit. But pretty much everyone understands that most people's goal in life is to continue to evolve and progress. Rashod is focusing on his next opportunity - which by all accounts was his main goal all along - and making sure he stays healthy for it. Only people who are stuck in neutral would see that as quitting.

This is terrible - and it's the second time an All-American player has left after his sophomore year - the other example being Maxx Williams, who really didn't gat all that much out of his early jump. In the old days, they would just be getting going at that stage. The NFL will certainly not be Covid-free and the NCAA has not yet nixed a fall season and could put in a spring season, so Bateman should have waited until it was all sorted out. Absolute shame.

Opting out I would venture to say means Bateman could still take advantage of the scholarship, now or in the future if he chooses. If he flat out quit, doubt it.

Opting out I would venture to say means Bateman could still take advantage of the scholarship, now or in the future if he chooses. If he flat out quit, doubt it.
He signed with an agent so that is false

He hired an agent, so there’s no going back now.

He looks pretty smart for avoiding the shit show happening now.

He signed with an agent so that is false
Signing with an agent makes him ineligible to play in games per NCAA rules. The University can still honor the scholarship at their discretion.

At the very least, quitting would likely result in being persona non grata.

Last edited:

This is terrible - and it's the second time an All-American player has left after his sophomore year - the other example being Maxx Williams, who really didn't gat all that much out of his early jump. In the old days, they would just be getting going at that stage. The NFL will certainly not be Covid-free and the NCAA has not yet nixed a fall season and could put in a spring season, so Bateman should have waited until it was all sorted out. Absolute shame.

You forgot Antoine Winfield Jr, another All American with potentially 2 years of eligibility left who was an early NFL draft pick.

Disagree on the "terrible" and "shame" description. It was great that such talent chose to be a Gopher and developed his skills to even merit leaving early as being an option. Let's hope we have several more players leave early in future, it would a harbinger for overall success.

Some Pitt D Lineman now

up to 6

Further strengthening Galt’s case
In a typical season, there are more than 10,000 D-1 football players. And you have a strong case because 6 have opted out? I think that still leaves over 99% that want to play.

Top Bottom