Barnes may have trimmed his list again as per Rivals

One key to reading Shooter is to look at who else he has taked to in that days column and that will usually tip you off as to who is giving him certain scoops. On the day he had his Barnes and Kansas scoop, he also had multiple items and quotes from Cole Aldrich. Connect the dots and it's easy to see where he got that tidbit. I have heard that Harrison is very, very tight with information on where he is leaning so don't believe most of the rumors about where he is leaning that will be popping up over the next 6-9 months.

Unless you are new to Minnesota, you should know better than to bring this to our attention. If anything, a Shooter scoop is the kiss of death for Kansas getting Barnes.

Not sure why I should know better than to bring this to your attention... I'm pretty sure I made it obvious that I didn't know how accurate that could be, which is why I asked what other people knew. So sorry to offend you akgopher. I guess I'll know better next time...

Wasn't offended. Humored, not at you, but at Shooter. He's not proven himself to be Nostradamus or Joseph Smith, but that hasn't stopped him from trying.

Wasn't offended. Humored, not at you, but at Shooter. He's not proven himself not to be Nostradamus or Joseph Smith, but that hasn't stopped him from trying.

Actually Joseph Smith is a good analogy. He copied his (Book of Mormon) information from other sources.

Ditto Shooter.

"The latest buzz is that 6-foot-6 Harrison Barnes, the consensus No. 1 incoming senior prep basketball player in the nation and someone of whom the Gophers have been in hot pursuit, is leaning toward Kansas." - http://www.twincities.com/ci_12585998?source=most_viewed

I wonder how much truth there is to that. It's a logical choice, but as far as I know, Barnes hasn't said anything like that. Anyone know anything about this?

His "source" may have been GI, which in turn was quoting an unnamed "Big 12 assistant coach."

Seems a bit early in the process to be guessing favorites, though, especially since he hasn't said anything in that regard himself.

I know it sounds like homer-ism, but I think there's a very strong case to be made that Minnesota is the best fit. Some of the other "brands" are bigger ("brand" of the school, not "brand" of the coach), but tell me what other teams will be better than us on paper going into the 2010 season? We'll be as much a contender for the nat'l title as Duke, KU, or anyone else. Maybe more so. And small forward/wing is the one position on our team that would be somewhat open for Barnes to come in and start. We'll have a sr point guard and an awesome and experienced front line w/ White, Mbakwe, Sampson, and Iverson. We're closer to Ames than anyone else except ISU, which is not a top team or a top school. We're WAY closer than Duke, NC and the west coast schools. We're not much closer than KU, but we're a much better school, especially Carlson business school. I can see that KU would be a strong pull for him w/ the tradition and bb atmosphere, but if he truly gives academics meaningful weight, it's hard to see how KU would beat us out.

Plus, he seems like one of those few kids who might not be swayed by slick recruiting, but looks more at the character of the coach. If slick recruiting were a factor, we'd probably be at a big disadvantage compared to schools like KU, NC, and Duke. Which reminds me, when are we going to get going on that practice facility?

Count me amongst those who are pretty comfortable with how the recruitment of Barnes is going. I fully realize that we may not be one of the fashionable names (like Duke or Kansas) being bantered about, but Barnes himself has made it pretty clear that he's open right now and considering all his options. With that being the case, I would be surprised if he doesn't make an official visit at some point during the year.

It's still pretty early in the process and I've been impressed with Barnes' level of maturity. He'll make a good informed choice, which is all you can ask for from any recruit. Having said that, I feel pretty good about our chances.

Well, at least we know he won't be going to Kentucky.

Boxomess-How has the departure of John Calipari from Memphis to Kentucky impacted you?

Harrison Barnes-"It hasn’t really. He’s a good coach. I don’t know if I like the way they’re doing things right there now though. Seems like he left Memphis kind of in a bad situation and then guys at Kentucky are getting their scholarships taken back. I don’t know yet. It’s a competitive place though, you know college basketball, and it’s only getting more and more competitive."

Some fairly nasty comments being thrown his way on Catpause -

http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=129228051&mid=129228051&sid=888&style=2

His "source" may have been GI, which in turn was quoting an unnamed "Big 12 assistant coach."

Seems a bit early in the process to be guessing favorites, though, especially since he hasn't said anything in that regard himself.

I know it sounds like homer-ism, but I think there's a very strong case to be made that Minnesota is the best fit. Some of the other "brands" are bigger ("brand" of the school, not "brand" of the coach), but tell me what other teams will be better than us on paper going into the 2010 season? We'll be as much a contender for the nat'l title as Duke, KU, or anyone else. Maybe more so. And small forward/wing is the one position on our team that would be somewhat open for Barnes to come in and start. We'll have a sr point guard and an awesome and experienced front line w/ White, Mbakwe, Sampson, and Iverson. We're closer to Ames than anyone else except ISU, which is not a top team or a top school. We're WAY closer than Duke, NC and the west coast schools. We're not much closer than KU, but we're a much better school, especially Carlson business school. I can see that KU would be a strong pull for him w/ the tradition and bb atmosphere, but if he truly gives academics meaningful weight, it's hard to see how KU would beat us out.

Plus, he seems like one of those few kids who might not be swayed by slick recruiting, but looks more at the character of the coach. If slick recruiting were a factor, we'd probably be at a big disadvantage compared to schools like KU, NC, and Duke. Which reminds me, when are we going to get going on that practice facility?

Agreed. With Kansas losing Collins and Aldrich (likely) after next year and us primed to be a really solid team his freshman year, we're in a great position from a competitive standpoint. Add in the academics (iirc he wants to study business) and that's two. Lastly, his family seems very supportive and appears to have raised him with a good head. I'd like to think a certain Coach Smith would fit in quite well with those ideals. I really think HB will analyze everything to the best of his abilities and pick a school that will help him get where he needs to be. I just hope its us :D

-Jan

I'm not going to bother with the nuts at Catspause as I think most of us can already imagine the insults they are throwing at him but can any Kentucky fan honestly deny what he said isn't accurate.

This kid is special on and off the court.

I'm not going to bother with the nuts at Catspause as I think most of us can already imagine the insults they are throwing at him but can any Kentucky fan honestly deny what he said isn't accurate.

What is "going on" at Kentucky is nothing that doesn't happen at every program in the country at one time or another. Bill Self needed two scholarships this year for Xavier Henry and company and magically got them when two players decided not to return. Barnes can speak his mind and he makes a fair point but let's not be naive about all this or say it's a problem limited to one program.

I try not to get my hopes up, but we do have a lot of positives to offer Barnes. It might help that he plays with Howard Pulley too. Anyone know if he got along or liked playing with Royce and Rodney during their time together with HP? That's another potential plus that we have over other schools with two teammates (maybe three with Thomas) already in maroon and gold.

What is "going on" at Kentucky is nothing that doesn't happen at every program in the country at one time or another. Bill Self needed two scholarships this year for Xavier Henry and company and magically got them when two players decided not to return. Barnes can speak his mind and he makes a fair point but let's not be naive about all this or say it's a problem limited to one program.

Uk "ran off" 5 players this spring. Porter, D Williams, Stewart, Pilgrim and Galloway.

PLUS walk-on Landon Slone. That's 6. Not 2.

Uk "ran off" 5 players this spring. Porter, D Williams, Stewart, Pilgrim and Galloway.

PLUS walk-on Landon Slone. That's 6. Not 2.

I don't know why I'm going to bother with this but:

Porter chose to leave because he was newly married, got his degree this spring and he had a child on the way. He was given the opportunity to stay as a senior. If he got ran off so did Travis Busch.

Williams didn't have a scholarship this year period. That was all on Gillispie. His was a one year deal to begin with and would go forth as a walk on afterwards. Don't ask me why or anybody else outside of Gillispie because they nor I know the reasoning behind that.

Stewart and Pilgrim didn't fit in with what the new coaching staff wanted. They performed poorly in the evaluations. Guys like Josh Harreslon, who don't offer the athleticism or "pickup game legend status" of Stewart or Pilgrim, did play well and showed that they were willing to work.

Galloway was told his playing time was going to be non-existent. He's already looking to play in Europe and start his professional career.

Landon Sloane was a walk-on and the new staff doesn't believe in having a lot of those because practice is focused on the players that play. Mark Krebs and Dwight Perry will be the only two walks on on the team. Landon has a scholarship to Morehead State where he can contribute.

It happens EVERYWHERE. End of discussion.

I don't know why I'm going to bother with this but:

Porter chose to leave because he was newly married, got his degree this spring and he had a child on the way. He was given the opportunity to stay as a senior. If he got ran off so did Travis Busch.

Williams didn't have a scholarship this year period. That was all on Gillispie. His was a one year deal to begin with and would go forth as a walk on afterwards. Don't ask me why or anybody else outside of Gillispie because they nor I know the reasoning behind that.

Stewart and Pilgrim didn't fit in with what the new coaching staff wanted. They performed poorly in the evaluations. Guys like Josh Harreslon, who don't offer the athleticism or "pickup game legend status" of Stewart or Pilgrim, did play well and showed that they were willing to work.

Galloway was told his playing time was going to be non-existent. He's already looking to play in Europe and start his professional career.

Landon Sloane was a walk-on and the new staff doesn't believe in having a lot of those because practice is focused on the players that play. Mark Krebs and Dwight Perry will be the only two walks on on the team. Landon has a scholarship to Morehead State where he can contribute.

It happens EVERYWHERE. End of discussion.

Regardless 5 scholarship players and 1 invited walk-on are gone this spring.

Player departures happen but not 6 in a month. Some involuntarily.

I think that Catspause thread got the ax, but, this is pretty typical of the comments -

Harrison Barnes is a little girl if he feels this way.
1) Scholarships are offered on a one year basis, at EVERY school
2) Cal didnt give anyone of them a scholarship, and made decisions on who gets them next year, his FIRST year
3) Kentucky is the ALL TIME WINNING program in NCAA history, but our last coach was worthless, and brought in lesser talent than UNC, Duke, so on
4) Coach Cal's job is to get us to the top, and keep us there, and he said at the press conference, he brings in the BEST of the BEST. PERIOD
5) I for one am glad we finally have a coach with some balls, who wants us to be the best.

Harrison Barnes obviously is not a smart person, and is listening to recruiting negativity from other coaches that are hating on Cal.
If you want to be a school girl Harrison, go to Duke, and when we mop your a$$, and hang banners over your college years, we'll all try to remember your feelings were hurt. Forget this sissy. Coach Cal is setting us up for greatness. Forget Harrison, from weak a$$ IOWA.

I love Catspause sometimes. On a slow day there is always entertainment to be found in the bravado of the BBN. :)

Barnes, Williams, and White have played together, period. I'm not saying it was for Howard Pulley, which they have that in common, but at camps and such. Barnes has went on record saying they were friends and communicate.

Regardless 5 scholarship players and 1 invited walk-on are gone this spring.

Player departures happen but not 6 in a month. Some involuntarily.

It's not the new coaching staff's fault that the two previous coaches left the roster and scholarship situation in such a mess. It's also not their fault that there were some players that just weren't UK caliber on the roster to begin with and didn't have a place when hard decisions and choices had to be made with only 13 scholarships.

I don't think you actually care about the realities of the situation though.

Nah, I'm pretty sure he played in some of the major tournaments with HP last year too. There's even a youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbM73MMH4_Y

Actually my brother taped that and I put it on youtube...they weren't actually on the same team in that video even though it kinda looks like it. I'm almost positive this is Harrison's first year playing with Howard Pulley, but I believe Harrison has said that he's friends with Royce and Rodney anyways.

It's not the new coaching staff's fault that the two previous coaches left the roster and scholarship situation in such a mess. It's also not their fault that there were some players that just weren't UK caliber on the roster to begin with and didn't have a place when hard decisions and choices had to be made with only 13 scholarships.

I don't think you actually care about the realities of the situation though.

Bullshit.

The new coach wanted different players so he sent 6 of the existing players packing.

The previous coach (Gillispie) is a moron. Quite fitting for a fanbase full of same.

"Your act is tired and old."

As is yours.

Just as Tubby walks on water with FOT, Kentucky (and Coach Cal) can do no wrong with you. All the symptoms of a classic enabler. Enjoy the rollercoaster ride.

My favorite part of the Catspause thread occurred when somebody brought up Tubby's name. People were posting that maybe Tubby would give Calipari a few pointers on getting Barnes. Somebody pointed out that maybe Tubby was trying to get Barnes for the Gophers, which led to incredulity on the part of the Kentucky fans. "Tubby, getting a recruit like Barnes? Preposterous." I think it's hilarious how overconfident UK fans are right now. Our odds of getting Barnes aren't great, probably, but they're better than Kentucky's at this point.

Actually my brother taped that and I put it on youtube...they weren't actually on the same team in that video even though it kinda looks like it. I'm almost positive this is Harrison's first year playing with Howard Pulley, but I believe Harrison has said that he's friends with Royce and Rodney anyways.

Ok works for me...the only reason I thought they all played together was because I posed the same question on this site months ago, and was told he played with them last year as well and a clip was available on youtube. I didn't think so at first either.

Good to see another thread turned into Kentucky bantoring! Yes, just what I needed!

Not even close to the same situation so just stop. Thomas was a Top 100 recruit who realized after Withey transfered to KU that he would never see the floor. When he commited to KU, he was only looking at Aldrich in the frontcourt. By the time he got to campus, the Morris twins and Mario Little were there and Withey transferred there shortly after. Appleton was a JUCO transfer who didn't want to spend his final year of eligibilty on the bench. Coach Self might not have begged them to stay but both players left on their own will. They wanted to play. Kentucky yanked the scholly of a kid whose father publicly said the kid wanted to stay.

Don't ever use Calimari and Coach Self in the same sentence unless you are referring to the clown suit that Coach Self fitted Calimari for on April 7, 2008.

"Your act is tired and old."

As is yours.

Just as Tubby walks on water with FOT, Kentucky (and Coach Cal) can do no wrong with you. All the symptoms of a classic enabler. Enjoy the rollercoaster ride.

The Kentucky program is no different than Michigan Football or North Carolina basketball. All have flaws, all have a dark underbelly that exists beneath the glamour and the pagentry. I do not deal in absolutes and I don't believe that everything is always divided into neat lines of black and white or good and evil. My only hope is to present and study all the evidence, see both sides of an issue, and formulate my opinions and views accordingly.

Kentucky is not an evil, racist or a corrupt entity. They are a successful basketball program who exist inside a broken system and have been guilty of taking advantage of that system in the past. They have passionate fans who are susceptbile to the sins of pride and hubris that all peoples are prone to exhibit from time to time. A "Kentucky fan", from one to the next, is as different in temprement, creed and virtue as one Minnesota fan to the next. To judge all on one set criteria, a criteria that is sujective and arbitray as they come, is a logical fallacy in my opinion.

Judge people on who they are and what they do in life and not what basketball team they root for or whom they coach for.

Not even close to the same situation so just stop. Thomas was a Top 100 recruit who realized after Withey transfered to KU that he would never see the floor. When he commited to KU, he was only looking at Aldrich in the frontcourt. By the time he got to campus, the Morris twins and Mario Little were there and Withey transferred there shortly after. Appleton was a JUCO transfer who didn't want to spend his final year of eligibilty on the bench. Coach Self might not have begged them to stay but both players left on their own will. They wanted to play. Kentucky yanked the scholly of a kid whose father publicly said the kid wanted to stay.

Don't ever use Calimari and Coach Self in the same sentence unless you are referring to the clown suit that Coach Self fitted Calimari for on April 7, 2008.

This post just goes to illustrate how lacking in perspective one can be.

Top Bottom