Bands/Artists From Minnesota!

Irony? It's pointed out in the YouTube comments that this Semisonic video features several physics experiments, yet is titled Chemistry.

Chew on that.

Good album....but I can't remember any other songs than this one on the radio. I think that 'One True Love' written and performed with Carole King was easily the best song on the record. 'She's Got My Number' is a really good song too.

John Wozniak of Marcy Playground is from Minneapolis. Band is actually named after the Marcy Arts Elementary School (that he attended) which is only a handful of blocks from Nicollet Island. Underrated band, imo.

John Wozniak of Marcy Playground is from Minneapolis. Band is actually named after the Marcy Arts Elementary School (that he attended) which is only a handful of blocks from Nicollet Island. Underrated band, imo.

One of my best friends was buddies with him in elementary school. Told him that the song, Sex and Candy made his career. Amazing what a song can do.

One of my best friends was buddies with him in elementary school. Told him that the song, Sex and Candy made his career. Amazing what a song can do.

The very definition of a one hit wonder. That's despite the fact that 'Sex and Candy' isn't even the best song on that album.

I'm not entirely positive....but I think "terrestrial" radio stations have to abide by certain rules. Like certain record companies only allow singles to be played....which is why you rarely hear stations from straying from a certain basket of songs for a particular artist. I also wonder how much freedom the on air DJs actually have in picking individual songs.

Obviously.....satellite stations have different deals in place and are allowed more free range.

Featured on 'Dear Rosemary'....which may be my favorite song off of 'Wasting Light'.....which is an excellent album.

Revisiting the article/interview, I love this quote:

"Hüsker Dü, which was Bob Mould’s original band, had this sense of classic melody - it was almost like a punk rock band playing Byrds songs, which they actually did when they covered Eight Miles High. But there was an entire sense of emotion, with beautiful melody, which could sometimes be countered with this anger and distortion that was really unusual at the time.”

“I'd seen him play in in 1984 or ’85, but I was just a stage-diving, slam-dancing kid singing along to the songs. I finally got to meet him maybe 10 years ago. I said, ‘I just have to thank you, because I've really taken a lot from your music.’

"And he said, ‘I know’.”

------

Here's video of Hüsker Dü freezing their butts off, especially Mould, playing an appropriate song given the weather. Also a version of the Byrds cover referenced.

Ice Cold Ice + 8 Miles High

Here's video of Hüsker Dü freezing their butts off, especially Mould, playing an appropriate song given the weather. Also a version of the Byrds cover referenced.

Ice Cold Ice + 8 Miles High

I was born in 1989. So I have no choice but to file this under 'Never Happened!!!!'

Dipping into Hüsker Dü nostalgia again, I find this one heartwarming for several reasons.

The video is exactly how I remember the dozen or more Grant Hart post Nova Mob shows that I went to at the Turf, 7th Street or wherever. He would take requests, and unlike most he listened and played them. I have a hard time remembering when I would shout a song, that it would not get played. Even if I requested 2541 just a couple of songs into the performance.

Somehow it translates even to an audience in Belgrade, Serbia, according to the youtube comment. It's a gem from Candy Apple Grey.

Sorry Somehow

Happy Birthday in memory of Grant Hart who would have been 62 today. Here's a wonderful song and video from his vastly underrated Good News for Modern Man. A quintessential Minnesota visual and musical artist.

Nobody Rides for Free

I never travel far,
without a little Big Star.

The Replacements on their reunion foray with Alex Chilton in 2014.

I recently moved to NE Mpls. Pretty sure my mail man is Har Mar Superstar.

Daniel Corrigan is the photographic artist most renowned for Minnesota bands and those passing through.

Here's a famous shot of The Replacements on an elevator in Coffman Union. There was still a plaque (near Great Hall) last I checked a few years ago commemorating the moment.

Replacements.jpg

Cool article in Pitchfork:

Last edited:

If you stick with this to the very end, you will see The Flamingo Kid giving his seal of approval. The Replacements (wondering what the hell THEY were doing there) with Talent Show.

While I didn't feel the need to join the early morning mob for Record Store Day this past Saturday, I did get to the Electric Fetus at noon. As luck would have it Greg Norton was there signing the Hüsker Dü live album/CD as well as for his new project, Ultrabomb.

He was extremely friendly and humble. Really glad to meet him, I hope to see his band sometime in the future.

Solid new album from Run Westy Run is now out. The Stones influence that was often in the background is now front and center. This has Let it Bleed to Exile era written all over it.

Despite this tune being played at virtually every party/social gathering I was at from when it was released throughout the 80s, I was unaware that an official video existed for this song by The Suburbs.

Love Is the Law

Amoeba is really a paradise for any music fan. I find this promo series they do really fun and fascinating.

What's in My Bag? - Tommy Stinson

All over but the shouting. How many songs has Paul Westerberg written that are better than this one? Any?

Here's a solo version of the Replacements classic.

Nevermind

All over but the shouting. How many songs has Paul Westerberg written that are better than this one? Any?

Here's a solo version of the Replacements classic.

Nevermind

Skyway. Maybe? Again, Paul Westerberg solo playing one of his Replacements classics.

Daniel Corrigan is the photographic artist most renowned for Minnesota bands and those passing through.

Here's a famous shot of The Replacements on an elevator in Coffman Union. There was still a plaque (near Great Hall) last I checked a few years ago commemorating the moment.

View attachment 24837

Cool article in Pitchfork:

This sucks.

Today's Birthday Wishes go out to Danny Murphy, born on this date 61 years ago in Duluth. Not just a founding member of Loud Fast Rules/Soul Asylum, he continues to be the engine behind Golden Smog.

From SA"s Let Your Dim Lights Shine, here they are showing their more folk/country side with Promises Broken.

While I would never say the Gear Daddies were overrated, by comparison I think Martin Zellar's solo work is vastly underrated.

Problem Solved

Grant Hart passed away on this day, 6 years ago. As a tribute this Hüsker Dü tune has to be on the short list of his best.

Green Eyes

With current events in Austin, MN, here's a what goes around comes around history lesson provided by Soul Asylum. The tune itself stands on it's own merit, in my opinion.

P-9

Top Bottom