Bands/Artists From Minnesota!

Ah man... RIP to Mimi Parker. I'm a casual fan at best but definitely admire them and they seem like lovely people.

Ah man... RIP to Mimi Parker. I'm a casual fan at best but definitely admire them and they seem like lovely people.

This news sucks. Mimi was fantastic.

Lots of tributes pouring in from near and far.

Trying to work out in my head how many times I had seen them live, and I think it was at least 10, often opening up for Wilco either in the Twin Cities or Duluth. Last time was Wilco's 2019 mini-residency at The Palace, where they played on the first 2 nights of a 3 show run.

No Motion City Soundtrack posted yet? One of the better 2000's pop punk/emo bands there is if you're into that sort of thing. Justin Pierre has always been a cool chill guy in my interactions with him. Periodically he's pretty active on twitter, and he's happy to chat with fans about his experience as a musician.

I'd like to echo the sadness about the passing of Mimi Parker of Low. Just an amazing band that always stayed true to their vision. We're lucky that we got to hear them make music for 30 years.

Been deep diving on Low. They are arguably the best band ever from MN.

The end was near, but the Huskers could still write and perform beautifully until they officially called it quits. Mould still occasionally dusts this one off in live performances.

These Important Years

Here's Westerberg playing perhaps the first song that made me aware of the The Replacements existence, I Will Dare. Also a bonus is the Wreckless Eric cover, Whole Wide World.

Not sure what the Burnsville comment was referring to. Buck Hill, maybe.

Gary Louris with a solo version of perhaps my favorite Jayhawks song, and includes a humorous aside that he perhaps owes a debt to Barry Manilow.

Settled Down Like Rain

Closing in on 40 years, this was Pirner/Soul Asylum's first great song, IMO. Nearing 40 years, it's as enduring and endearing as ever.

Never Really Been

Bit of a stretch to say "Minnesota Band", but my CFO was the father-in-law of Mark Chaussee, who was the guitarist for Marilyn at that time, so we got in to see some of their shows. Mark's from MPLS, so I'm going with them being a Minnesota band. BTW, Marilyn is a very normal, even a slightly boring, person in real life. Here's one of my favorite songs from Marilyn, love the way it builds. Most folks have read Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery", this is a take on that story. In the song, the lottery is done at the very beginning by the small spinning girl wearing the black hood, and the song builds from there...

The lyrics at the very end, the sythesized voice, are "When all of your wishes are granted,
many of your dreams will be destroyed"

Last edited:

Here's Grant playing some Hüsker tunes solo electric.

Flexible Flyer & Charity, Chastity, Prudence and Hope

I actually prefer 2nd one to the full band electric version. Much more poignant.

Mn artists could include PA and that fruity looking guy Steve Patterson. Both bring the A game to radio.

Here's a photo of the greatest rock guitar player of all time. On the left is Pete Townshend.

mouldpete.jpg

I have to admit...I stole the line from Instagram.

I'm not sure if I ever saw this Golden Smog video previously, or it just slipped my mind. Gary Louris has said it's about a bartender at Eli's (on Hennepin). Not sure it that's really her in the video, but if so I can see why he and Kraig Johnson wrote this tribute.

V

Baller move. I think he also orchestrated the clouds opening up at halftime for Purple Rain.
Seriously they should have stopped having a halftime show after that. It's not just that no one could top it. No one will be able to do anything that even deserves to be mentioned in the same breath.

Seriously they should have stopped having a halftime show after that. It's not just that no one could top it. No one will be able to do anything that even deserves to be mentioned in the same breath.
Are you sure you won't be saying the same thing about Harry Styles when he ends up doing it?

Are you sure you won't be saying the same thing about Harry Styles when he ends up doing it?
Wittgenstein was wrong. There are things you can be absolutely sure of and thats one of them.

These posts remind you of what a weird cool guy Prince was. Truly one of a kind. Here's a video of him creeping on stage with Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings (one of my personal favorite). I like how he casually steps in line with the horns, rips off a 2 minute guitar solo, then just walks off stage.

I have seen Trampled by Turtles at least a half dozen times over the past 15 years and found their shows enjoyable if not overwhelming. I was always impressed by their musicianship, but not floored enough to get a full release of theirs.

Of course getting Jeff Tweedy to produce their new release, Alpenglow, piqued my interest. I think it's a phenomenal record, start to finish.

A Lifetime to Find

Starting Over

It's a great companion piece to Wilco's Cruel Country.

Irony? It's pointed out in the YouTube comments that this Semisonic video features several physics experiments, yet is titled Chemistry.

Chew on that.

What I've found listening to several of the XM radio channels is that there's so much great music and great new music out there that The Current never touched. The question is why are they so narrow and so programmed? Would it kill them to be more eclectic more often? That's sort of a rhetorical question and sort of a real one. My favorite XM channel is The Loft, which is famously eclectic...so eclectic that it got booted off the satellite because it never found a mass audience. It's still on the Internet, but it lost most of its on-air talent; they left after it lost its satellite presence. Maybe eclectic radio is one of those things people say they want but don't actually listen to when presented. Maybe MPR knows this and that's why The Current has always been narrow and programmed.

I'm not entirely positive....but I think "terrestrial" radio stations have to abide by certain rules. Like certain record companies only allow singles to be played....which is why you rarely hear stations from straying from a certain basket of songs for a particular artist. I also wonder how much freedom the on air DJs actually have in picking individual songs.

Obviously.....satellite stations have different deals in place and are allowed more free range.

Dave Grohl giving huge props to Husker Du/Bob Mould. Preach!

Featured on 'Dear Rosemary'....which may be my favorite song off of 'Wasting Light'.....which is an excellent album.

Top Bottom