B1G, ACC, PAC12 Pact developing?

ESPN / SECPN will have every talking head attacking this on how it isn’t good or it silly etc.

the ESPN website had a long article about the alliance. considering the source, it was fairly balanced. Couple of the main points - this goes beyond football. the three conferences have a lot in common with each other - not so much with the SEC.

one AD reportedly terms it a "philosophical alignment." said they view it as an alternative to expansion - work together as opposed to raiding each other for new members.

Also, sources say there is a lot of concern about the NCAA seeming to lose influence over college FB. Bottom line - the 3 conferences do not want the SEC and its commissioner becoming the power broker for college FB. And a lot of this supposedly involves the playoff system. the 3 conferences don't want a system that favors the SEC.

Screw Finebaum. Calls the alliance “embarrassing.”
I don't think your sentiment is wrong.

I think he's mainly frustrated at two things: 1) that the Big XII is being left out of the alliance, and 2) that the ACC is choosing to be apart of it.

Basically saying that the Big XII has been the SEC's closest ally and so he thinks the other conferences should help save them. And two, I guess, thinking of the ACC as being the a "brother southern conf" and should be an ally via ESPN.

As others have no doubt already said: Finebaum is to SEC fans what Tucker Carlson is to conservatives. Just tells them whatever they think they want to hear.

the ESPN website had a long article about the alliance. considering the source, it was fairly balanced. Couple of the main points - this goes beyond football. the three conferences have a lot in common with each other - not so much with the SEC.

one AD reportedly terms it a "philosophical alignment." said they view it as an alternative to expansion - work together as opposed to raiding each other for new members.

Also, sources say there is a lot of concern about the NCAA seeming to lose influence over college FB. Bottom line - the 3 conferences do not want the SEC and its commissioner becoming the power broker for college FB. And a lot of this supposedly involves the playoff system. the 3 conferences don't want a system that favors the SEC.
As I've said before: the biggest, most important move the alliance can force is for the CFP to crack open its TV deal. Let other TV partners get invested in it and don't let it be an ESPN monopoly.

The NFL does not employ a monopoly with its TV coverage, for good reason.

Playoff won’t expand to 12. Will be smaller.
Conference auto bids will be a thing.

I predict 8 with top 5 conference champs getting auto bids.

I also predict a 2 team per conference limit.

Only counter SEC could do is to break free completely and to try to snag the top schools from other conference. The risky thing is that if the top teams from other conferences say no, the SEC makes itself a regional sports league and may actually hurt their revenue.

If the SEC breaks free from the rest of FBS I’ll never watch another SEC game again and I’m a huge college fan.
I watch d3 football, FBS football because I have loose ties to the teams.
I don’t watch the NBA D league because I have no ties even though it’s higher level basketball than the big ten

You should start another thread just in case no one buys your theory…oh never mind.

Here's a CFN piece by Pete Fiutak:

Basically says it's about getting a deal with Hulu and Amazon and the like. Makes sense to me.

Here's a CFN piece by Pete Fiutak:

Basically says it's about getting a deal with Hulu and Amazon and the like. Makes sense to me.
He also talks about capping the number of teams per conference in the playoff. And if the SEC balks at the idea having the 40 team ACC/Pac/big treating the SEC like North Korea. And by creating their own team 40 team system, they could likely invite smaller conferences to join their postseason instead of the SEC’s by giving some inclusivity.

I don't think your sentiment is wrong.

I think he's mainly frustrated at two things: 1) that the Big XII is being left out of the alliance, and 2) that the ACC is choosing to be apart of it.

Basically saying that the Big XII has been the SEC's closest ally and so he thinks the other conferences should help save them. And two, I guess, thinking of the ACC as being the a "brother southern conf" and should be an ally via ESPN.

As others have no doubt already said: Finebaum is to SEC fans what Tucker Carlson is to conservatives. Just tells them whatever they think they want to hear.
If Big 12 was closest ally, why did The SEC F them by taking OU and Texas?
the SEC should save them as they created the mess in the first place.
anything the rest do to limit the SEC influence is fine by me

If Big 12 was closest ally, why did The SEC F them by taking OU and Texas?
the SEC should save them as they created the mess in the first place.
anything the rest do to limit the SEC influence is fine by me
UT/OU wanted to leave the Big XII. Should the SEC have turned them down? I don't think that would've ever been reasonable -- for nothing else, because they would've went to the Big Ten.

The Big XII isn't necessarily lost. I think they can clamp the bleeding by inviting Cincy and Houston, and then trying their best to show that they deserve to still be a P5 - at least on the field and at the table, if not in TV money - by winning as much as they can. Iowa State in the CFP, for example, would be a strong start.

I predict 8 with top 5 conference champs getting auto bids.
This could make a lot of sense.

I also predict a 2 team per conference limit.
But will SEC/ESPN go for it?

If "the alliance" can force the issue, and open the TV package for the playoff up to get multiple TV partners, it makes sense again.

If the SEC breaks free from the rest of FBS I’ll never watch another SEC game again and I’m a huge college fan.
Agreed

Last edited:

UT/OU wanted to leave the Big XII. Should the SEC have turned them down? I don't think that would've ever been reasonable -- for nothing else, because they would've went to the Big Ten.

The Big XII isn't necessarily lost. I think they can clamp the bleeding by inviting Cincy and Houston, and then trying their best to show that they deserve to still be a P5 - at least on the field and at the table, if not in TV money - by winning as much as they can. Iowa State in the CFP, for example, would be a strong start.
And if this alliance means the Big 10, PAC 12, and ACC are not looking to expand their conferences, that makes the future of the Big 12 more certain: they're less likely to lose members, which in turn will make them more attractive to new members

And if this alliance means the Big 10, PAC 12, and ACC are not looking to expand their conferences, that makes the future of the Big 12 more certain: they're less likely to lose members, which in turn will make them more attractive to new members
Good point!

ESPN tried to get the remaining schools to leave for the American Conf. That was their plan all along: dissolve the Big XII so that UT/OU could leave as soon as possible to the SEC.

Now they'll have to wait until 2025.

Out of greed and ego, ESPN and the SEC have made their play and now they will have to live with the consequences.

ESPN has been boosting up the SEC for years with artificial high ranking, increased coverage, etc... They thought that by forcing an expansion in the playoffs that favored the SEC schools would set up an ESPN domination of college football coverage. $$$$$$

Now we have the other major conferences forming an alliance to control the direction of college sports. Unlike the SEC, these conferences think sports is an extension of the college life and that is should be more balanced that just football. This is something that the NCAA should be doing, but unfortunately it is severely weakened and not capable of overseeing the sports aspect of college life. I can see a "reforming" of the NCAA, or a new organization with new bylaws overtaking this responsibility in the future. Legally locking all schools into the rules similar to what is done in the conferences. Until then, the SEC will become just a regional conference with full of self-hype. ESPN will need to open up more to the college sports alliance or just drift off with the SEC.

The SEC -- well, Alabama ... with occational help from LSU and Auburn -- have been holding up their end of the bargain, as far as winning playoff games goes.

Top Bottom