B1G, ACC, PAC12 Pact developing?

This would be a great move by these three conferences to work together in this fashion. Could be a stroke of genius. Interesting as well the news recently that Delaney has been consulting on the side.

This is exactly what they should be doing. Band together and give a big middle finger to the SEC. Join forces and refuse to expand the playoff, and agree to not schedule SEC teams in non conference. Then the SEC would be stuck scheduling only G5/FCS teams (if the agreement would include the remaining B12).

This is exactly what they should be doing. Band together and give a big middle finger to the SEC. Join forces and refuse to expand the playoff, and agree to not schedule SEC teams in non conference. Then the SEC would be stuck scheduling only G5/FCS teams (if the agreement would include the remaining B12).
Absolutely right. Freeze them out. Limit their power.

The Plazas are operating as a Federation, making them stronger!

ESPN will not be happy and will use whatever they can use to block this.
I have the ACC network on YTTV and for football would trade it in a heartbeat for the Pac12 network.
What does the ACC bring in football?

I have the ACC network on YTTV and for football would trade it in a heartbeat for the Pac12 network.
Clemson. That's it.

Clemson is a national power in FB but the BIG and Pac12 ,in general have better FB teams than the ACC.

So, you're saying nothing will change. Bama's really cranked up the non-conf schedule again this year, taking on the powerhouses of Mercer, Southern Miss and of course that juggernaut the New Mexico State Aggies. Not sure how they'll get through those games unscathed.

So, you're saying nothing will change. Bama's really cranked up the non-conf schedule again this year, taking on the powerhouses of Mercer, Southern Miss and of course that juggernaut the New Mexico State Aggies. Not sure how they'll get through those games unscathed.
The other conferences will get more money on their TV deals.

It will hurt the non-SEC champs because they won't have an opportunity for big wins outside of the conference.

Also, the 3 conferences working together will be able to keep the CFP from either expanding at all or writing expansion rules to prevent the SEC from getting lots of participants.

The SEC will get a little weaker.

these conferences joining together could box the SEC out of extra playoff bids. A 12 team playoff with a limit of 2 per conference

Or what could really get them is a 4 or 6 team playoff with only automatic bids.

top 4 conference champs only would have Oklahoma saying whoops

'Bama fans will love this...

1628953111487.png

these conferences joining together could box the SEC out of extra playoff bids. A 12 team playoff with a limit of 2 per conference

Or what could really get them is a 4 or 6 team playoff with only automatic bids.

top 4 conference champs only would have Oklahoma saying whoops
It would prove to be a massive mistake by OU and Texas.

The ACC is a bit of a hodgepodge. You have the teams that came from the Big East. And you have the teams that have always been ACC, that split off from the old Southern Conference (SEC teams also had split off from that a couple decades prior I believe).

Some of those Big East schools, which are culturally nothing like the more southern schools, I could see being more interested in being aligned with the Big Ten and PAC schools, culturally.

But the more southern schools, save Georgia Tech perhaps, I could see preferring to align with the SEC.

The ACC is a bit of a hodgepodge. You have the teams that came from the Big East. And you have the teams that have always been ACC, that split off from the old Southern Conference (SEC teams also had split off from that a couple decades prior I believe).

Some of those Big East schools, which are culturally nothing like the more southern schools, I could see being more interested in being aligned with the Big Ten and PAC schools, culturally.

But the more southern schools, save Georgia Tech perhaps, I could see preferring to align with the SEC.
I think you are channeling GT well here. Since the bowl game have maintained some contact with a GT fansite like GH. They universally despise the SEC...not only because of UGA, but there's bad blood with Auburn and Bama too that like us (with our neighbors) goes back to the 20s and 30s. I think Clemson, the Carolina schools, and FSU would probably be more open to it, but not GT.

I think you are channeling GT well here. Since the bowl game have maintained some contact with a GT fansite like GH. They universally despise the SEC...not only because of UGA, but there's bad blood with Auburn and Bama too that like us (with our neighbors) goes back to the 20s and 30s. I think Clemson, the Carolina schools, and FSU would probably be more open to it, but not GT.
FSU would easily align with the SEC. Panhandle and northern Florida are the exact same thing as Alabama/Georgia. Clemson would easily align with SEC.

Would be interesting about the Carolina's and the Virginia's. I think they'd want to stick together, regardless. They're the "old money" of the ACC (not Virginia Tech, of course, but Hokies want to be with UVA and that cohort).

Louisville is new blood, but will easily choose to align with SEC and Kentucky.

Miami is an interesting case. That's its own culture. But it's also "way the F down there" and geographically might be difficult. But hey, having "islands" in Atlanta and Miami might not be so bad. Also brings the history of the Orange Bowl with them, in a sense.

That leaves Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, and Notre Dame. The latter will always be indy in football, just is what it is. But for the rest of sports I think they'd prefer to stick with the first three. And I think those first three would rather align with the Big Ten than the SEC. Taking a guess

Why would the SEC sign up for that?

The SEC+Florida State, Clemson, Carolina schools and Virginia schools could essentially just split off and hold their own season and their own playoff, at that point.

Who would get more money, and more viewership?

It'd be the old NFL vs. AFL.

I see this as a warning shot to the SEC and ESPN. whether anything actually comes from it will depend on the response - which may or may not be public.

More of a way to tell the SEC - "back off, or face the consequences." Or to put it another way, you need us more than we need you.

At some point, you have to think that some behind-the-scenes discussions will have to take place with all the leading players in the CFP universe.

if the CFP system falls apart, we go back to conference championships and bowl games, but no playoff system, no championship game, no mega-bucks TV deal.

Which, honestly, I could live with. Let the Jan 1 bowl games be the highlight of the college FB season the way they used to be.

Which, honestly, I could live with. Let the Jan 1 bowl games be the highlight of the college FB season the way they used to be.
You wouldn't be the only one!

The Rose Bowl used to be the crowning jewel of college football. The BCS and the playoff has largely benefited the SEC and Clemson, more than any others.

Texas, yes. Lots of losses to A&M and OU coming. Hell maybe LSU and Arkansas to boot.

OU on the other hand, I think can do like A&M has done.
OU recruiting ratings are through the roof. They won't have any trouble competing.

Imagine if this came with a scheduling agreement. Every year 1 non conference is a Pac-12 opponent and one is an ACC opponent. One can dream....
with none of them playing SEC schools.... Let the SEC schedule games with the weak sisters of the poor.

Fck ESPN.... They have become the SEC network already.

A national network that backs this new conference alliances would kill ESPN! Or, split is up with CBS, NBC, etc... like the NFL. ESPN becomes a less significant regional broadcaster that will just try to hype itself.

Top Bottom