B1G, ACC, PAC12 Pact developing?

Help me out here, what has Texas aTm done?
Well, last year they ended up ranked #4 in the nation. Also finished #5 the first year in the SEC.

Bowl game 9 out of 9 years in the SEC, have won 6 of those 9, including a Cotton, Chick-fil-a (now Peach), Gator, and Orange (last year).

They seem to be headed in a good direction. But LSU has been up and down, so we will see.

A national network that backs this new conference alliances would kill ESPN!
We will see.

No one comes close to the South when it comes to viewership in major college football. Similar to NASCAR, they really, really care about it down there.

Well, last year they ended up ranked #4 in the nation. Also finished #5 the first year in the SEC.

Bowl game 9 out of 9 years in the SEC, have won 6 of those 9, including a Cotton, Chick-fil-a (now Peach), Gator, and Orange (last year).

They seem to be headed in a good direction. But LSU has been up and down, so we will see.
Meh, their the Aggies, will always be second rate in the state of Texas. IYKYK

So, you're saying nothing will change. Bama's really cranked up the non-conf schedule again this year, taking on the powerhouses of Mercer, Southern Miss and of course that juggernaut the New Mexico State Aggies. Not sure how they'll get through those games unscathed.
Yes, you obviously have a point in that much of their schedules are garbage. But Bama specifically has nothing to prove or gain by scheduling a tough non-con game. Until proven otherwise, they’ll be top 3 in the preseason and have nowhere to go but down. And you failed to mention Alabama plays Miami to open the season. If you can prevent the teams like Miss St, South Carolina, Kentucky, etc. from playing good competition, it could actually hurt their ability to prove themselves and help their ranking prior to conference play.

Georgia plays Clemson. LSU plays UCLA. Tennessee plays Pitt. TAMU plays Colorado. Miss St plays NC State. Auburn plays Penn St. Vandy plays Stanford. Take all those away, and their non-con games get a lot less national attention, especially if the remaining P5 conferences are playing each other and scheduling enough quality games.

The SEC move to add Texas and OU was simply to try and force other major schools to reconsider their conferences. I can imagine ESPN was thinking why pay 64 schools 50 million when we can pay 24 schools 75 and create a semi-pro league called the SEC.

The B1G, ACC and PAC can essentially do the same things, but have a lot more schools and the whole nation covered as far as influence. Yes, there will be a lot more schools but that is the appeal of college football. Right now the SEC is tops in CFB (mainly because of Saban) making Alabama a power and their being a ton of talent down south. However every twenty years or so we see a shift and if this alliance happens it wouldn't surprise me to see the SEC being on the outs and becoming like the B12. They would have great schools but they could easily be absorbed by other conferences.

At the same time if the SEC gets money that is so far above and beyond the other three it will be hard for the Penn States, OSU, Michigans of the conference not to consider joining.

The other conferences will get more money on their TV deals.

It will hurt the non-SEC champs because they won't have an opportunity for big wins outside of the conference.

Also, the 3 conferences working together will be able to keep the CFP from either expanding at all or writing expansion rules to prevent the SEC from getting lots of participants.

The SEC will get a little weaker.
So, when your conf is overall weaker than the SEC, playing a harder OOC schedule so that your teams will lose mores games, helps you how? Your logic does not hold water.

Meh, their the Aggies, will always be second rate in the state of Texas. IYKYK
You asked a specific question, and I answered.

I'm not disagreeing with your sentiment here around popularity.

Just like Nebraska and Tennessee are still very "popular" programs for fan support :sneaky:

Fck ESPN.... They have become the SEC network already.

A national network that backs this new conference alliances would kill ESPN! Or, split is up with CBS, NBC, etc... like the NFL. ESPN becomes a less significant regional broadcaster that will just try to hype itself.
I second the motion of Fck ESPN, for a litany of reasons. They have gone so far off the rails in the last handful of years, it's honestly shocking.

Not sure where this goes with realignment but it's going to be interesting to see it all shake out. More interestingly will be seeing who gets left out in the cold with any possible conference shakeup, which schools, etc. Hard to believe there wouldn't be some schools that just plain don't bring much to the table that aren't left without a chair when the music stops

Hopefully Baylor is out on its ass. That would be good to see.

They can go independent like BYU.

I’m much more in favor of the B1G adding USC, Oregon, Washington, and either Stanford or UCLA… I don’t see how an alignment really hurts the SEC besides votes on CFP format… and I feel like that ends up fracturing the sport (AFL/NFL type split).

One meaningful step that the Big Ten, PAC, and ACC can take: forcing the next (expanded) CFP TV contract to be bid out to multiple TV partners, and not wholly owned by ESPN.

Let FOX, and whomever else, also get to bid on pieces of it.

The NFL doesn't give the entire TV package to only one network, for good reason.

Yes, you obviously have a point in that much of their schedules are garbage. But Bama specifically has nothing to prove or gain by scheduling a tough non-con game. Until proven otherwise, they’ll be top 3 in the preseason and have nowhere to go but down. And you failed to mention Alabama plays Miami to open the season. If you can prevent the teams like Miss St, South Carolina, Kentucky, etc. from playing good competition, it could actually hurt their ability to prove themselves and help their ranking prior to conference play.

Georgia plays Clemson. LSU plays UCLA. Tennessee plays Pitt. TAMU plays Colorado. Miss St plays NC State. Auburn plays Penn St. Vandy plays Stanford. Take all those away, and their non-con games get a lot less national attention, especially if the remaining P5 conferences are playing each other and scheduling enough quality games.
Especially if they start using the basketball models of SOS for rankings instead of just media hype.

So, you're saying nothing will change. Bama's really cranked up the non-conf schedule again this year, taking on the powerhouses of Mercer, Southern Miss and of course that juggernaut the New Mexico State Aggies. Not sure how they'll get through those games unscathed.
And a couple years ago Auburn opened against Oregon. But games like that don't fit your snarky reply so I notice you ignored them. And Georgia is opening against Clemson this year.

So umm, yeah, things will be different.

Last edited:

So, when your conf is overall weaker than the SEC, playing a harder OOC schedule so that your teams will lose mores games, helps you how? Your logic does not hold water.
You don't understand. That's ok.

Especially if they start using the basketball models of SOS for rankings instead of just media hype.
This is needed. The college football playoff needs objective criteria to make it. Some potential options:

only conference champs make it
All conference champs make it
Top Conference champs rated by a pre-determined formula make it
Conference champs plus some at large team make it determined by a pre-determined formula
Some sort of objective preset formula ranks all teams and take the top X number

the SEC is the best than the big ten because Alabama, LSU, Florida, and Auburn have been better than Ohio state, Penn State, and Michigan in given years.

That doesn’t mean in 2027 that the 4th place SEC team is better than the 2nd place Pac 12 team.

Alabama being better than Ohio state in most years doesn’t mean Texas A&M is better than Wisconsin or Iowa in ALL years. And that’s what the media hype machine would have people believe.

I’m much more in favor of the B1G adding USC, Oregon, Washington, and either Stanford or UCLA… I don’t see how an alignment really hurts the SEC besides votes on CFP format… and I feel like that ends up fracturing the sport (AFL/NFL type split).
Apparently you don’t understand how the AFL caused the NFL to totally change their model.

So is it going to amount to anything?

Unless it includes regular season, in the meat of the season (not just during the first few weeks), games amongst Clemson, Florida State, etc. , Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, etc., and USC, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, etc. .... it's not going to be anything meaningful, as far as getting more TV money goes.

I think this is a LOT more than just scheduling. A few marquee games are the cherry on the sundae. The real deal is for the three conferences to send a message to ESPN and the SEC that they are not going to call the shots in college FB. The SEC wants expanded playoffs. And now they are going to have to.negotiate with the 3-conference alliance and their TV partners. This gives the other P5 conferences a lot more leverage.

So is it going to amount to anything?

Unless it includes regular season, in the meat of the season (not just during the first few weeks), games amongst Clemson, Florida State, etc. , Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, etc., and USC, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, etc. .... it's not going to be anything meaningful, as far as getting more TV money goes.
Expanding on what SON said:

In terms of the college football playoff, these 3 joining together as a block means they have a majority of the votes when attempting o change something. The CFP needs unanimous votes for something like expansion, these 3 conferences now can control the outcome far more effectively.

And what is mentioned in the article is that these conferences have said this is not just about football, and when you think of it these conferences have other sports that they dominate in (relatively speaking). Having this larger control over football as a block allows them to also focus on other sports more effectively.

Not to mention, they could possibly do some very lucrative things with joint TV contracts, etc. Just spitballing.

Expanding on what SON said:

In terms of the college football playoff, these 3 joining together as a block means they have a majority of the votes when attempting o change something. The CFP needs unanimous votes for something like expansion, these 3 conferences now can control the outcome far more effectively.

And what is mentioned in the article is that these conferences have said this is not just about football, and when you think of it these conferences have other sports that they dominate in (relatively speaking). Having this larger control over football as a block allows them to also focus on other sports more effectively.

Not to mention, they could possibly do some very lucrative things with joint TV contracts, etc. Just spitballing.
There are 11 votes (10 FBS conferences + ND) in the CFP.

From the Wikipedia page:

According to the CFP website, the system's operations are controlled by the Board of Managers, which consists of presidents and chancellors of the playoff group's member universities. The eleven members have sole authority to develop, review and approve annual budgets, policies and operating guidelines. The group also selects the company's officers.

Eric Barron – President, Penn State (Big Ten)
Rodney Bennett – President, Southern Miss (C-USA)
Joe Castro – Chancellor, California State University; former president, Fresno State (Mountain West)
Gordon Gee – President, West Virginia (Big 12)
Jack Hawkins – Chancellor, Troy (Sun Belt)
Rev. John I. Jenkins – President, Notre Dame (Independent)
Mark Keenum – President, Mississippi State (SEC)
Kirk Schulz – President, Washington State (Pac-12)
John Thrasher – President, Florida State (ACC)
Satish Tripathi – President, Buffalo (MAC)
R. Gerald Turner – President, SMU (The American)

So how do the three banding together constitute a majority? I suspect you were thinking about just the P5. But per above, that's not the only ones who have votes.

Agree about the the rest of it.

There are 11 votes (10 FBS conferences + ND) in the CFP.

From the Wikipedia page:

According to the CFP website, the system's operations are controlled by the Board of Managers, which consists of presidents and chancellors of the playoff group's member universities. The eleven members have sole authority to develop, review and approve annual budgets, policies and operating guidelines. The group also selects the company's officers.

Eric Barron – President, Penn State (Big Ten)
Rodney Bennett – President, Southern Miss (C-USA)
Joe Castro – Chancellor, California State University; former president, Fresno State (Mountain West)
Gordon Gee – President, West Virginia (Big 12)
Jack Hawkins – Chancellor, Troy (Sun Belt)
Rev. John I. Jenkins – President, Notre Dame (Independent)
Mark Keenum – President, Mississippi State (SEC)
Kirk Schulz – President, Washington State (Pac-12)
John Thrasher – President, Florida State (ACC)
Satish Tripathi – President, Buffalo (MAC)
R. Gerald Turner – President, SMU (The American)

So how do the three banding together constitute a majority? I suspect you were thinking about just the P5. But per above, that's not the only ones who have votes.

Agree about the the rest of it.
Yeah I misinterpreted something I read. Whoops!

Screw Finebaum. Calls the alliance “embarrassing.”

Finebaum is an SEC shill, but tremendous respect for what a career he has made for himself.

Top Bottom