Athlon Sports reports Clemson, Florida State, Oregon, and Washington

I don't get the desire to add ND to the B1G. They're sort of yesterday's news - were a big deal a few decades ago, but each year they're slipping away from being a big draw. If we want huge markets (and thus big payouts from TV contracts) pull in one of the AAU schools from Florida.

Big 12 reportedly approves Arizona application. AZ regents meeting in process.

I guess NOTHING surprises me anymore, sounds like Arizona is off to the Big 12 too. Pac 12 is crumbling before our eyes!! Too Bad, this new super conference world is something I just don't get.. I do see Oregon and Washington joining us!!

Agreed. NBC can sort of force ND to a conference with the B1G being the preference of NBC.
ND still has two years remaining with their TV agreement. Estimates show they would earn 85M joining the BIG but "just" 60M with a new network deal up from the current 25M. Can they somehow make up the difference and shun any BIG offer?

O, UW, Stanford, Cal, ND,........and whatever SE schools? My guess is both AZ schools go Big 12 and Utah, Ore St and Wash St are the girls with no date.

IMO, this could all sort out in a matter of a couple of weeks.

Oregon no longer has the Pac12 logo on the jerseys visiting recruits take pictures in:

Yep. You need to do NFL style divisions. You play your entire division, you play another division on a rotating basis, and then you play another team or two from the other divisions based on the previous year's record or something.

Then, all division winners enter a 4-team Big Ten playoff. The winner of which will play the SEC in the title game. At least, that's the end game when we're down to 2 super conferences.
My dream scenario at this point!

I'm seeing reports that Arizona State is "dragging its heels" on joining the Big-12. Supposedly, this is also holding up action on Utah. if the reports are accurate, Utah is waiting for ASU to commit and then, apparently, Utah would join the other "4 corners" schools in going to the Big-12.

on the B1G: I have seen several reports that the B1G is now focusing on just 2 new schools, with Oregon and Washington being the preferred options. If you believe the reports, the offer would have OR and Wash coming into the B1G at a reduced payout - somewhere in the mid $30-million range. FWIW - some reports claim Washington is lobbying for a higher payout because Washington says the "added cost of travel" in the B1G would cost up to $10-million a year. sounds like Oregon does not have the same issues - Greg Flugaur says Oregon is "all in" on joining the B1G.

I'm seeing reports that Arizona State is "dragging its heels" on joining the Big-12. Supposedly, this is also holding up action on Utah. if the reports are accurate, Utah is waiting for ASU to commit and then, apparently, Utah would join the other "4 corners" schools in going to the Big-12.

on the B1G: I have seen several reports that the B1G is now focusing on just 2 new schools, with Oregon and Washington being the preferred options. If you believe the reports, the offer would have OR and Wash coming into the B1G at a reduced payout - somewhere in the mid $30-million range. FWIW - some reports claim Washington is lobbying for a higher payout because Washington says the "added cost of travel" in the B1G would cost up to $10-million a year. sounds like Oregon does not have the same issues - Greg Flugaur says Oregon is "all in" on joining the B1G.
For what it is worth, Greg Flugar has spent years chasing his tail about this conference realignment stuff and has been wrong most of the time.

AZ regents apparently prefer that UA and ASU stick together.

Udub: $35 million - $10 million in added travel + visibility > $20 million (maybe) minus production costs - if a Pac whatever team plays a fb game at 10pm EST on streaming and nobody sees it, did it really happen? Certainly no harm in putting on the pretense of negotiation but the reality is there is no other reality for Udub unless it wants to be the flagship MWC program.

So the OSU and OU mascot thing was really about them joining the BT.

Yesterday, the word around Husky land was Oregon was dragging their feet with some officials thinking they have Nike money and staying in the Pac will be an easier path to the playoffs.

Also, while Washington seems to be all in for the move, they will mess it up by asking for too many concessions like money and scheduling. Kind of backs up what Son is reporting.

Lmfao...no they do not. They care about $$$.
Sure, they care about money, but there's more to it. If money was the only thing driving this Regents would be appointing corporate CEO to run public universities. That ain't gonna happen. They can easily have it both ways.

We'll end at 24 teams when the Pac-12 and ACC crumble. Take 4 more from the PAC-12, finally convince ND, and take 3 from the ACC. Then you have 4 divisions of 6 teams.

West coast division
1. Washington
2. Oregon
3. Cal
4. Stanford
5. USC
6. UCLA

Central (Plains) Division
1. Minnesota
2. Wisconsin
3. Iowa
4. Nebraska
5. Illinois
6. Northwestern

Great Lakes Division
1. OSU
2. Michigan
3. MSU
4. Notre Dame
5. Purdue
6. Indiana

East Coast Division
1. Penn State
2. Maryland
3. Rutgers
4. ACC team 1
5. ACC team 2
6. ACC team 3

Maybe ND stays independent and we grab another ACC team, but I honestly think this is where we'll be when all the dust settles.
I too think it’ll end up something like this. Not sure why people think Cal is getting in. Cal adds zero value

Lmfao...no they do not. They care about $$$.
At the end of the day, the B1G is essentially conduction an acquisition. There are many examples of mergers and acquisitions falling apart due to poor culture fit despite the fact that the numbers made sense and it looked good on paper. A poor culture fit could have $$$ consequences in the long term.

It is also possible that people looking simply at athletic revenue have too narrow of a scope, and B1G presidents see this as an opportunity to develop a closer partnership or brand that extends to research or academic affairs for 20-24 very good universities, potentially having much larger $$$ consequences. In this case, culture fit would be even more important.

I don't get the desire to add ND to the B1G. They're sort of yesterday's news - were a big deal a few decades ago, but each year they're slipping away from being a big draw. If we want huge markets (and thus big payouts from TV contracts) pull in one of the AAU schools from Florida.
Notre Dame has been to a BCS title game. A playoff.
Has 7 10 win seasons in the past 11 seasons
Has finished top 20 9 of the last 11 seasons.
Top 11 6 of the last 11 seasons.

Is one of the top 10 most watched programs in the country.

Not sure what you say about them is accurate

it's possible there may be some type of resolution today.

lots of reports that Pac-12 is holding a meeting to present a revised media deal and try to get schools to approve a Grant of Rights.

also lots of conflicting reports on what is happening with Washington and Oregon. The Athletic says "talks have cooled" with the B1G, but other media outlets say the two sides are still negotiating on what share of media $$ that OR and Wash would receive if they move.

but the various writers, bloggers, radio and YouTube hosts are contradicting each other left and right. it's 11:11am CDT right now, and everything I just wrote could change in an hour.

it's possible there may be some type of resolution today.

lots of reports that Pac-12 is holding a meeting to present a revised media deal and try to get schools to approve a Grant of Rights.

also lots of conflicting reports on what is happening with Washington and Oregon. The Athletic says "talks have cooled" with the B1G, but other media outlets say the two sides are still negotiating on what share of media $$ that OR and Wash would receive if they move.

but the various writers, bloggers, radio and YouTube hosts are contradicting each other left and right. it's 11:11am CDT right now, and everything I just wrote could change in an hour.
Wouldn't it be great if GH Mods consolidated all these threads...

Alice Cooper with a statement on B1G expansion:

I'm eighteen and i like it
Yes I like it
Oh I like it
Love it
Like it
Love it
Eighteen!
Eighteen!
Eighteen!
Eighteen and I like it

Top Bottom