Athlon Sports reports Clemson, Florida State, Oregon, and Washington

I would prefer UF and Georgia Tech. State schools, very top end. And UF produces a good football team more often than it doesn't. They'd delivery TV sets in Florida/Atlanta. Makes a ton of sense.
Does Georgia Tech get a lot of Atlanta residents watching their games? Seems like 90% of the state are University of Georgia fans and GT fans would consist of alum and maybe family members. Feels similar to the theory that Rutgers was going to bring eyeballs from NYC, which feels like a fairly small group as well.

The way this is trending (if there's any truth to this) I'm starting to fear for the OG members - like Minnesota - for the first time.

Seems like geography or tradition matter 0 and it's about building a CFB Premier League. If someone leaves the SEC to join the B1G then it's really time to break glass on that doomsday scenario.
It's shit or get off the pot time

I’m hoping the only non-Midwest additions we get are from the west coast because that would retain some tiny semblance of geographic and cultural cohesion. We’d be a northern/Midwest and west coast conference. Leave the southeast and south central (TX, Oklahoma east through the Carolinas) to the SEC and Big 12.

Adding FSU and/or Clemson with Oregon/Washington would make it truly a nationwide conference of seemingly random D1 schools. Tallahassee? LA? Madison? NYC? Seattle? All in one conference? No thanks.

Does Georgia Tech get a lot of Atlanta residents watching their games? Seems like 90% of the state are University of Georgia fans and GT fans would consist of alum and maybe family members. Feels similar to the theory that Rutgers was going to bring eyeballs from NYC, which feels like a fairly small group as well.
This is a good question, and more relevant today than when Rutgers joined the conference. I wonder how relevant? When Rutgers joined, we didn't necessarily need "eyeballs." Simply getting the Big Ten Network on a cable platform that forced millions of people in New York to pay for it (and at a higher price), whether they watch football or not, made the conference a ton of money. That's still important, but with cord cutting rampant and streaming services getting into the college football business, I assume actual eyeballs will become a bigger deal.

Also, until the B1G admits a member who isn't AAU (Nebraska losing their membership after being approved to join notwithstanding), I will maintain we won't add non-AAU schools.

Neither Clemson nor FSU are AAU Universities.
Agreed. I know people are sick of hearing this from me, but I see no possibility that the B1G accepts a non-AAU school.

Originally a Georgia Bulldog (still am after the Gophers) so Clemson was a historic rival even though we were in different conferences. Basically 80 miles away so both teams traveled well for a neighbor-rival. "Clemson Sucks" was our standard greeting to visiting Tigers on gameday.

They are major players no doubt in recent decades. Got to watch The Fridge and Ford's team that took the Nattie in the 80s. But before this there's not that much to crow about. At least the Gophers had a half-century of being mostly great before becoming mediocre.

So just a historic disdain more than anything. As a Bulldog should hate Tech even more but don't. Tech was also a national powerhouse in the early days.

There's another poster here out of South Georgia (blanking on the name). He might chime in and blow my prejudice out of the water. And yes, Clemson is a land grant institution, just like Georgia and Minnesota. Good question.
So the Gophers and Clemson each have had 1/2 century of greatness.

Been here in Twin Cities since 1989 so my immediate data is poor. That offered, the Atlanta market is dominated by Georgia plus the entire SEC...then the ACC with a large B1G contingent. Mainly GT fans watch GT would be my guess.

GT would be a market entry only type of target. Has a storied history, is AAU, and has limited outside history with non-ACC programs including Notre Dame. To the degree there is a B1G alumni base in the region, that would be the initial calling.

Ironically, reports are that GT was approached by the Big 10 around 2012 or so and the adminstration at that time declined. My understanding is that the fanbase now regrets that decision.

Really though, it would be getting the B1G into a TV/streaming market in the heart of SEC country. That's the draw for Georgia Tech. Personally, do we really care about Maryland and Rutgers other than the market connection? Looks the same to me.

Oh, at least they have won a Nattie in the last 50 years (1990). They have us beat.

Can you alloborate? Isn't Clemson land grant?
They are, not sure it matters anymore though, the new additions to the conference have all been land grant schools, Nebraska, Rutgers, Penn State, and Maryland until now. USC is not but UCLA is.

Last edited:

They are, not sure it matters anymore though, the new additions to the conference have all been land grant schools, Nebraska, Rutgers, Penn State, and Maryland until now. USC is not but UCLA is.
I think the point was, that someone was referencing Clemson as if they were a private school, because of the name. Just like Rutgers, Auburn, Purdue, and Temple are all state schools.

"The Arizona Board of Regents, which controls both Arizona and fellow Pac-12 school Arizona State, had a meeting scheduled for later today, though it was unclear whether conference affiliation and the media rights deal would be on the agenda."

This is a good question, and more relevant today than when Rutgers joined the conference. I wonder how relevant? When Rutgers joined, we didn't necessarily need "eyeballs." Simply getting the Big Ten Network on a cable platform that forced millions of people in New York to pay for it (and at a higher price), whether they watch football or not, made the conference a ton of money. That's still important, but with cord cutting rampant and streaming services getting into the college football business, I assume actual eyeballs will become a bigger deal.
Agreed on actual eyeballs and advertising dollars being more important than adding residents of a city or state to a big ten plan. Teams with national interest and better TV ratings are going to be more important because those games can demand higher rates from advertisers.

Anyone surprised no one has came out and said Clemson or Florida State is not going to the B1G. I am also surprised major sports outlets are not bringing it up (I think SI did an article on who is better B1G or SEC). I know it may be a story created with "junk journalism" but so was the story on Fleck and that still got play. Just wonder if the B1G has asked people to stay away from the story. When USC/UCLA was announced it was a done deal.

Anyone surprised no one has came out and said Clemson or Florida State is not going to the B1G. I am also surprised major sports outlets are not bringing it up (I think SI did an article on who is better B1G or SEC). I know it may be a story created with "junk journalism" but so was the story on Fleck and that still got play. Just wonder if the B1G has asked people to stay away from the story. When USC/UCLA was announced it was a done deal.
Those 2 are ballsy enough to take on any suit in court to get what they want. They'll find the money. And the question of which conf is better for them, is depending on what is most important to you.

Saw the FSU president did an interview with Warchant. He was confident they'll be good going in the future. Said they can't compete with current revenues and will do whatever it takes to compete. Said they were comfortable with dealing with GOR via their lawyers and that it won't stop them. FSU has a BOT mtg today at 2pm. He also left hints about which direction they might go talking about AAU, academics, etc.

Last edited:

Agreed. I know people are sick of hearing this from me, but I see no possibility that the B1G accepts a non-AAU school.
Go West, young man! AZ, ASU, OR, WA all AAU schools. ASU just came aboard last year. Don't want the SE schools.

I still think Notre Dame is the wild card here. It will need to find a conference. B1G wants to continue to have that opportunity open, and so I think that is also part of the reason it initially indicated it wanted to integrate USC/UCLA before contemplating another expansion. I gaurantee you if the Irish said they are ready to join, B1G would add them ASAP.

I still think Notre Dame is the wild card here. It will need to find a conference. B1G wants to continue to have that opportunity open, and so I think that is also part of the reason it initially indicated it wanted to integrate USC/UCLA before contemplating another expansion. I gaurantee you if the Irish said they are ready to join, B1G would add them ASAP.
I'm starting to wonder if the answer Petitti gave on expansion was all b.s. Get 6 from PAC(still wonder the IG posts from Oregon/Ohio State), pressure coming from FSU and Clem to move now(they'd have to tell the ACC by 8/15), and ND contract up in '25. All coming together?

Rittenburg tweeting that PAC additions will get reduced share of revenue. Flugaur saying Utah is calling B1G.

Rittenburg tweeting that PAC additions will get reduced share of revenue. Flugaur saying Utah is calling B1G.
Makes sense, but that reduced share (which I assume is temporary) probably is close to or matches what the current PAC12 deal is so . . .

Makes sense, but that reduced share (which I assume is temporary) probably is close to or matches what the current PAC12 deal is so . . .
PAC schools might get $20 million while Big 10 schools get $75-$80 million $30-$40 million reduced share from Big 10> Pac

it is amusing, to say the least. at B1G Media Days, Tony Pettiti was really pushing the idea that "we are not interested in further expansion. We're all about integrating USC and UCLA."

and now, there are multiple media outlets reporting that the B1G is back in the expansion game.

Dan Wetzel at Yahoo Sports is out with this:

The B1G has begun exploratory discussions about expanding membership to 18 or even 20 teams, industry sources have told Yahoo Sports. The schools being considered are Oregon and Washington if the league adds 2 schools, and Cal and Stanford if it wants to move to 20. The discussions are in the very early stages, sources caution. No decision is considered imminent......

A group of 4 B1G university presidents began the preliminary process on Wednesday......

With the Pac-12 at risk of splintering, Oregon, Washington, Cal and Stanford renewed their push to the B1G, seeking a safe and far richer harbor for their athletic programs starting in 2024.....

Part of the discussion will be based on whether their broadcast partners are willing to offer a pro rata share - or something close - with the addition of four more schools.....

(
Wetzel concludes with) If the B1G is willing to work through the details, then this deal will get done.

FSU BOT mtg has all of them saying they need to get out of the ACC within the next 12mths. And they are willing to do whatever it takes.

it is amusing, to say the least. at B1G Media Days, Tony Pettiti was really pushing the idea that "we are not interested in further expansion. We're all about integrating USC and UCLA."

and now, there are multiple media outlets reporting that the B1G is back in the expansion game.

Dan Wetzel at Yahoo Sports is out with this:

The B1G has begun exploratory discussions about expanding membership to 18 or even 20 teams, industry sources have told Yahoo Sports. The schools being considered are Oregon and Washington if the league adds 2 schools, and Cal and Stanford if it wants to move to 20. The discussions are in the very early stages, sources caution. No decision is considered imminent......

A group of 4 B1G university presidents began the preliminary process on Wednesday......

With the Pac-12 at risk of splintering, Oregon, Washington, Cal and Stanford renewed their push to the B1G, seeking a safe and far richer harbor for their athletic programs starting in 2024.....

Part of the discussion will be based on whether their broadcast partners are willing to offer a pro rata share - or something close - with the addition of four more schools.....

(
Wetzel concludes with) If the B1G is willing to work through the details, then this deal will get done.
I mean, even in that short timeframe, a lot of movement is happening.

Further, it says a group of 4 B1G university presidents began the preliminary process. Perhaps Tony Pettiti is still not on board with further expansion, but University Presidents are and are operating on their own at the moment.

I view this as more than just an athletics move from the university presidents. The PAC12 looks like it's about to collapse, and there are AAU members that the B1G Academic Alliance will want to snatch up to further bolster it's research roster so to speak.

It would be interesting to know which 4 presidents started the initial talks.

Stanford and Cal make far more sense than Clemson and Florida State for the Big Ten.

On many levels. Academic, social, political, geographical. But most of all competitive balance.

The idea of just loading up on the best football teams possible (as of 2023) must backfire when at least some of those teams fall off. Somebody has to lose the games.

The only thing more ridiculous than the Big Ten with twenty teams would be Washington (where the stadium is navigable directly from the Pacific Ocean) in the Atlantic Coast Conference.
I can think of a lot more ridiculous things...

Top Bottom