Athlon Sports reports Clemson, Florida State, Oregon, and Washington

The way this is trending (if there's any truth to this) I'm starting to fear for the OG members - like Minnesota - for the first time.

Seems like geography or tradition matter 0 and it's about building a CFB Premier League. If someone leaves the SEC to join the B1G then it's really time to break glass on that doomsday scenario.

The way this is trending (if there's any truth to this) I'm starting to fear for the OG members - like Minnesota - for the first time.

Seems like geography or tradition matter 0 and it's about building a CFB Premier League. If someone leaves the SEC to join the B1G then it's really time to break glass on that doomsday scenario.
I expect aTm to move from the SEC to B1G at some point in the future.

This seems far fetched. Oregon and Washington, sure.
If they were going to poach anyone from the ACC, I'd think it would be UVA, UNC or Georgia Tech. All are better fits for the conference.

With personally an SEC pedigree I would find Clemson hard to swallow. Prior to Danny Ford in the 80s they were nothing. If the B1G is going to that neck of the woods I like GT as a much better fit. Hard to understand this one to me. Clemson is no State College.

Last edited:

This seems far fetched. Oregon and Washington, sure.
If they were going to poach anyone from the ACC, I'd think it would be UVA, UNC or Georgia Tech. All are better fits for the conference.
I wonder if it's because FSU and Clemson are willing to fight to get out now, whereas the others aren't and won't.

I don't think the rumor is credible. I think it's getting carried by having Washington and Oregon in it just after Colorado bolted for the Big 12.

If people were just reporting Clemson and FSU moving, no one would give the rumor any credence.

I don't think the rumor is credible. I think it's getting carried by having Washington and Oregon in it just after Colorado bolted for the Big 12.

If people were just reporting Clemson and FSU moving, no one would give the rumor any credence.
Oregon and Washington have already been spoken of as coming. Clemson and FSU are teams many just dismissed. I think it’s a possibility and maybe those teams want to be with B1G more than SEC

I’ll be impressed when Alabama and Notre Dame come knocking on the door.

I'll believe it when I see it. (Man, I sounded like my grandfather writing that.)

I would prefer UF and Georgia Tech. State schools, very top end. And UF produces a good football team more often than it doesn't. They'd delivery TV sets in Florida/Atlanta. Makes a ton of sense.

I was always under the assumption that Washington and Oregon (to a lesser extent, Stanford) was matter of when, not if.

I really want Notre Dame in the Big Ten.

My college football dream... basically all major colleges join the Big Ten or SEC and divisions are created in the conferences. Someone takes over all scheduling like the NFL does. In 2023 The Big Ten West plays the SEC East in non-conference and the next year Big Ten East plays SEC East, etc. Once you win your division you enter the playoffs.

Can't stand their arrogance not to join a league. As far as I'm concerned kick their hockey team out of the Big 10.
They are effectively an ACC school because the ACC is a little more desperate and willing to put up with their special treatment in football.

Can you alloborate? Isn't Clemson land grant?
Originally a Georgia Bulldog (still am after the Gophers) so Clemson was a historic rival even though we were in different conferences. Basically 80 miles away so both teams traveled well for a neighbor-rival. "Clemson Sucks" was our standard greeting to visiting Tigers on gameday.

They are major players no doubt in recent decades. Got to watch The Fridge and Ford's team that took the Nattie in the 80s. But before this there's not that much to crow about. At least the Gophers had a half-century of being mostly great before becoming mediocre.

So just a historic disdain more than anything. As a Bulldog should hate Tech even more but don't. Tech was also a national powerhouse in the early days.

There's another poster here out of South Georgia (blanking on the name). He might chime in and blow my prejudice out of the water. And yes, Clemson is a land grant institution, just like Georgia and Minnesota. Good question.

Last edited:

Originally a Georgia Bulldog (still am after the Gophers) so Clemson was a historic rival even though we were in different conferences. Basically 80 miles away so both teams traveled well for a neighbor-rival. Basically "Clemson Sucks" was our standard greeting on gameday.

They are major players no doubt in recent decades. Got to watch The Fridge and Ford's team that took the Nattie in the 80s. But before this there's not that much to crow about. At least the Gophers had a half-century of being mostly great before becoming mediocre.

So just a historic disdain more than anything. As a Bulldog should hate Tech even more but don't. Tech was also a national powerhouse in the early days.

There's another poster here out of South Georgia (blanking on the name). He might chime in and blow my prejudice out of the water. And yes, Clemson is a land grant institution, just like Georgia and Minnesota. Good question.
Ah got it thanks for the context.

How does Clemson and FSU leave with the GOR issue unresolved? "Serious" qualifies rumor to the extent that the degree of truthfulness is low and degree of untruthfulness is quite high.

Still think they'll end up going with three more Pac-12 teams in order to keep from forcing Nebraska into the west coast division with a bunch of teams that they have little to no history with.

Has anyone seen any recent articles on their media contract negotiations? Here is the most recent I found... https://www.si.com/college/notredam...nd-the-pursuit-of-its-next-tv-contract-stires
While I understand that certain sports properties are more valuable than others (for instance, I doubt UofM is a $75,000,000 property while OSU is quite a lot more than that), I don't understand the value of Notre Dame, particularly in this day and age of discarded tradition, decreased loyalties and secularization. Its not surprising that that decades ago tens of millions of ethnic Irish and/or Catholics who otherwise have no vested interest in Notre Dame as students, alumni or regionally local to South Bend would adopt ND as "their team" as opposed to the local Big 10 or other university in major college football. But that same loyalty certainly doesn't exist today. Or perhaps I'm wrong on this point. Or perhaps it still exists but will diminish over time as the influence of ancestry and religion fade.

I would prefer UF and Georgia Tech. State schools, very top end. And UF produces a good football team more often than it doesn't. They'd delivery TV sets in Florida/Atlanta. Makes a ton of sense.
Clemson is a public land grant school.

on Notre Dame, from everything I've read, it sounds as if ND really wants to stay independent - as long as they can get enough $$ for their media rights. So as long as NBC or some other network is willing to write out the checks, I think ND avoids joining a conference. But - if the networks told ND "you don't get the big bucks without joining a conference," then ND would have some hard decisions to make.

on FSU and Clemson - apparently some people believe that the schools could get out of the GOR if they were willing to go to court. one theory is that FSU (and possibly Clemson) would agree to pay an "exit fee" to the ACC - in installments over a period of years. If they went to the B1G, then theoretically the increase in TV $$ from the B1G would cover the exit fee payments and FSU would come out ahead in the long run. if you subscribe to that theory.

a lot of the media types say this amounts to ESPN and Fox fighting a battle to lock up desirable schools and TV markets.

Top Bottom