Assistant Coaches

Because he has proven what?
I would think the very recent NBA coach angle plus coaching KAT, D'Angelo and how good Ant is doing would be a good ice breaker to recruit kids, if nothing else for that. According to the Xavier coach, BJ has a great offensive mind, you just need to get a defensive assistant in here and we rollin

One of the things mentioned during the introductory press conference was that Ben impressed Coyle with his plan for assistant coaches. Yet here we are 2 weeks later and we still don’t know a single one. This is very concerning.

98% of D1 teams have been done playing for over a week now. Unless Ben is going to pry an assistant from a Final Four team (highly unlikely at this point) there is zero reason at least 1 or 2 would not have been announced by now. It’s looking like he swung and missed on his top choices.

This is not a good start for a coach who really needed to start off strong.

I was very disappointed in the hire. Then I talked myself off the ledge. And now (after no assistants being announced and Robbins+Gabe entering the portal) I’m back out on the ledge.

One of the things mentioned during the introductory press conference was that Ben impressed Coyle with his plan for assistant coaches. Yet here we are 2 weeks later and we still don’t know a single one. This is very concerning.

98% of D1 teams have been done playing for over a week now. Unless Ben is going to pry an assistant from a Final Four team (highly unlikely at this point) there is zero reason at least 1 or 2 would not have been announced by now. It’s looking like he swung and missed on his top choices.

This is not a good start for a coach who really needed to start off strong.

I was very disappointed in the hire. Then I talked myself off the ledge. And now (after no assistants being announced and Robbins+Gabe entering the portal) I’m back out on the ledge.
Is the ledge crowded?

Is the ledge crowded?

I was off the ledge as well after first week, now with Robbins in the portal and missing out on Nuness, i have one foot back on the ledge.

Something that stuck out to me was that the conversation with BJ was solid according to JN. Clearly BJ is selling his vision when he talks to JN about potentially joining his staff. Little worrisome.

Pretty much this. I'm not on the ledge. This is Gopher sports. They will always find a way to muck it up. It's just incredibly disappointing and frustrating.

This should have been straight forward. Multiple experienced qualified candidates. What I thought was a competent making the choice. But here we are. I hoped a HR staff would bring some hope. Doesn't seem likely.

I suspect salary alone is not enough to entice some of the better up and coming assistants; they want to believe they are going to associate with a winning program to advance their careers. Even the most optimistic posters here believe there will be a difficult, two-year (or more) rebuild. Extra money alone might not be enough (but might be for someone close to retirement) for someone hoping to move up in the field. Add to that, with all the coaching changes going on there will also be a lot of assistant jobs available, and Johnson's comparative youth means he probably doesn't have a huge network of friends and colleagues to call on. That doesn't mean he can't assemble a great staff; it just means they might not be names everyone has heard of.

I suspect salary alone is not enough to entice some of the better up and coming assistants; they want to believe they are going to associate with a winning program to advance their careers. Even the most optimistic posters here believe there will be a difficult, two-year (or more) rebuild. Extra money alone might not be enough (but might be for someone close to retirement) for someone hoping to move up in the field. Add to that, with all the coaching changes going on there will also be a lot of assistant jobs available, and Johnson's comparative youth means he probably doesn't have a huge network of friends and colleagues to call on. That doesn't mean he can't assemble a great staff; it just means they might not be names everyone has heard of.
We will not out spend everyone for assistants. We will just pay more than we have in the past. Very optimistic that Ben will have a far better staff then we have had.

I was off the ledge as well after first week, now with Robbins in the portal and missing out on Nuness, i have one foot back on the ledge.

Something that stuck out to me was that the conversation with BJ was solid according to JN. Clearly BJ is selling his vision when he talks to JN about potentially joining his staff. Little worrisome.
Missing out on Nuness is nothing new here. I would be willing to bet that he is highly compensated, most likely coming from boosters. We don't have boosters that are willing to pay.

Missing out on Nuness is nothing new here. I would be willing to bet that he is highly compensated, most likely coming from boosters. We don't have boosters that are willing to pay.
One of Baylor’s assistants took the Lamar head coaching position. Nunness probably will replace him. Nunness not coming isnt an indictment on Ben. Nunness def was coming in until that opportunity opened up at Baylor

Pretty much this. I'm not on the ledge. This is Gopher sports. They will always find a way to muck it up. It's just incredibly disappointing and frustrating.

This should have been straight forward. Multiple experienced qualified candidates. What I thought was a competent making the choice. But here we are. I hoped a HR staff would bring some hope. Doesn't seem likely.
I remember thinking during the process, with multiple exciting candidates seemingly available: this feels too good to be true, but they're not going to find a way to screw THIS up, are they?

One of Baylor’s assistants took the Lamar head coaching position. Nunness probably will replace him. Nunness not coming isnt an indictment on Ben. Nunness def was coming in until that opportunity opened up at Baylor
Alvin Brooks Jr is going to Lamar, his alma mater, from Houston. Alvin Brooks III is with Baylor.

Let's go all in on ex-Wolves: Saunders, Mitchell and Sidney Lowe. Bill Blair as video coordinator. Kurt Rambis as ball boy.
Christian Laettner as motivational speaker?

Nunness def was coming in until that opportunity opened up at Baylor
Oh yeah? Is that how it worked out?

Man, I bet there are all kinds of these "oh so close!", "we had this great plan, then ...", and "let me tell ya about how it was supposed to be ..." type of stories.

I have a feeling that BJ himself is the result of such a story.

Saw the job posting today on Indeed.com. It is listed as being there for 12 days. Purdue and Marquette also had assistant jobs listed. What distinguishes the Gophers' add from the other two is that the other two have far more detailed (especially Purdue's) job descriptions and skill/experience requirements. Our ad gives a very brief and general description of job duties. The listed requirements are a bachelor's degree (masters preferred) and one year of coaching experience at the collegiate or pro level.

Saw the job posting today on Indeed.com. It is listed as being there for 12 days. Purdue and Marquette also had assistant jobs listed. What distinguishes the Gophers' add from the other two is that the other two have far more detailed (especially Purdue's) job descriptions and skill/experience requirements. Our ad gives a very brief and general description of job duties. The listed requirements are a bachelor's degree (masters preferred) and one year of coaching experience at the collegiate or pro level.
That is some good research, for indeed it is posted. (Pun intended.)

Is breathing one of the requirements? At the current rate, I am thinking it may need to be reconsidered.

Ugh, just looked at it. Actually the Assistant Women's Basketball Coach at St. Thomas' listing has higher requirements than the Gopher job.

I would think the very recent NBA coach angle plus coaching KAT, D'Angelo and how good Ant is doing would be a good ice breaker to recruit kids, if nothing else for that. According to the Xavier coach, BJ has a great offensive mind, you just need to get a defensive assistant in here and we rollin
Ant has been way better under Finch than Saunders. Saunders could be a good recruiter, but that's it. He proved what kind of coach he was with the Timberwolves.

Good luck!! Let me know if you need a reference. . .who ever you are
feel confident in the fact that i have a few years coaching travel team basketball and a few more years coaching Junior High Basketball.....

and to some on here it matters.....but i also started 3 years of varsity basketball so i check the box of "playing the game at a high level".....

I found my low level office job on indeed.com, but somehow I still think it is extremely unusual for the Gophers to be posting a coaching opening on there. Legal reasons?

I found my low level office job on indeed.com, but somehow I still think it is extremely unusual for the Gophers to be posting a coaching opening on there. Legal reasons?

I don't know. Maybe they were trying to open it up to a wider audience but the lack of presence on other sources is troubling. I searched for the ad on the Chronicle of Higher Education, NCAA.org., and HigherEdJobs after seeing it on Indeed and I didn't find it in any of those places. There was a UMN job for a director of ticket sales on NCAA.org. I believe that the assistant women's coaching job at St. Thomas was listed on all of those sources.

I just went on indeed and searched basketball coach, Austin Texas. There is a posting there for an assistant coach on the women's team. My guess is this is probably just something that happens automatically when the openings come available at Universities.

Sure there is some policy somewhere that says the job has to be posted a certain way and for a certain amount of time.

"Sources expect former DeLaSalle coach Dave Thorson, now an assistant at Colorado State, to be named one of Johnson’s assistant coaches." Dave Shama

Top Bottom