Assistant Coach Changes

Maybe they need to get Jimmy Williams back.

I don't think this would be a bad idea. But, I don't see it happening. IIRC Close to the end of the trial I remember reading that Tubby while on the stand pointed at Jimmy Williams and loudly accused him of not telling the truth. This struck me as some sort of attorney recommended ploy to influence the jury. But IIRC it was a very strained and tense moment in the trial with Tubby on the stand - I am sure neither one of them enjoyed it. I don't think Jimmy will be coaching with Tubby anytime soon if my recollection and the accuracy of the trial reporting are correct.

So, when you quote completely inaccurate information, you are exonerated from any culpability? That's not how it works. By quoting information and using it in defense of your viewpoint, you are making it your own information. The bio is wrong, and so are you. They cannot be mutually exclusive.

http://a.espncdn.com/media/pdf/091115/tulsa.pdf here's an independent source.

Best player (they say) at Tulsa? Shea Seals. Recruited by Tubby. Coached (2 years) by Tubby.

Ruffin was an unheralded recruit from Denver (CO) Cherry Creek HS. Had Tubby not recruited him to Tulsa, who knows where he winds up?

DPODOLL

I can see you never wnat to give any credit to Tubby. I was not happy the way things have gone here (too many legal problem, people leaving, missing big recruits, not able to find money for the practice facility.) But the guy has a track record just like any other coach.

Pretty much everything you've posted here is wrong. I give plenty of credit to Tubby, always have, and always will. I want him to stay here until he retires. In fact, I think it would be impossible for the University to do any better.

if you can use tim mile's resume to prove why he should coach the gophers than compare that to tubby's resume and you will see that we got a heck of a coach. now if 3 years down the road we are in the same situation then something needs to be done. I would be interested to see if Tim Miles would like to be an assistant and named the coach in waiting.

I haven't used Tim Miles' resume ever, for anything. I think Tim Miles (presuming continued success) would be a great replacement for Tubby in about 3-5 years given his regional roots and extensive experience coaching in Minnesota and North Dakota.

The idea that he would come here as an assistant is both laughable and ridiculous.

DPODOLL
"This happens in every team sport at every level ever played in the history of ever. How on earth are you going to attribute that to Tubby?"

that is giving him credit news to me.

DPODOLL
"This happens in every team sport at every level ever played in the history of ever. How on earth are you going to attribute that to Tubby?"

that is giving him credit news to me.

11c9oqh.jpg

Nazr was part-time C under Pitino but 1st All-SEC under Tubby.
Magloire was part-time C under Pitino but 1st All-SEC under Tubby.

Steve Lappas? That made me spit coffee out of my nose. STEVE LAPPAS???

Are you taking into consideration that they were back ups under Pitino because Pitino
had Walker and McCarty playing in front of them?

I might also mention that Nazi's brother had a choice to play for Tubby or Pitino
He chose Pitino and I have to think he would have ask his brother ( Nazi ) who he thought
would be the better coach to play for.

Are you taking into consideration that they were back ups under Pitino because Pitino
had Walker and McCarty playing in front of them?

I might also mention that Nazi's brother had a choice to play for Tubby or Pitino
He chose Pitino and I have to think he would have ask his brother ( Nazi ) who he thought
would be the better coach to play for.

False. AGAIN.

They were part-time C in 1997 under Pitino. Walker left in 1996. McCarty left in 1996. Your brain may have left even earlier than that.

I know what you are. So does anyone else who looks.

So, when you quote completely inaccurate information, you are exonerated from any culpability? That's not how it works. By quoting information and using it in defense of your viewpoint, you are making it your own information. The bio is wrong, and so are you. They cannot be mutually exclusive.

I think FOT learned that from Tubby.

False. AGAIN.

They were part-time C in 1997 under Pitino. Walker left in 1996. McCarty left in 1996. Your brain may have left even earlier than that.

I know what you are. So does anyone else who looks.

But if Pitino wouldn't have recruited who knows where they would have been.

But if Pitino wouldn't have recruited who knows where they would have been.

Actually Nazr Mohammed was set to play for John Thompson at Georgetown and Jamaal Magloire was headed to Purdue to play for Gene Keady.

Bring it. Glad to answer and enlighten.

Actually Nazr Mohammed was set to play for John Thompson at Georgetown and Jamaal Magloire was headed to Purdue to play for Gene Keady.

Bring it. Glad to answer and enlighten.

Your not enlightening, your just making yourself look foolish. All of these guys would have played somewhere else and had success. Would they have developed more or less playing for a different coach, nobody knows. I would guess that what level a player reaches is probably 85-95% dependent on the player, does he grow, does he improve. Yes a coach can make a difference.

Would Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant losers wouldn't own NBA championships had they not played for Phil Jackson, probably not, but I doubt they would have won as many rings as they did.

Your not enlightening, your just making yourself look foolish. All of these guys would have played somewhere else and had success. Would they have had more or less playing for a different coach, nobody knows. I would guess that what level a player reaches is probably 85-95% dependent on the player, does he grow, does he improve. Yes a coach can make a difference.

Would Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant losers wouldn't own NBA championships had they not played for Phil Jackson, probably not, but I doubt they would have won as many rings as they did.

Magloire was highly sought recruit (#1 in Canada) in 1996.

Mohammed was All-State in Illinois in 1995.

Ruffin was unheard of in Denver in 1995.

See the difference?

Magloire was highly sought recruit (#1 in Canada) in 1996.

Mohammed was All-State in Illinois in 1995.

Ruffin was unheard of in Denver in 1995.

See the difference?

I understand that one player wasn't a highly rated recruit and the others are. One school was Tulsa with a good (not HOF, your words) up and coming coach, while the other was a Kentucky with a good & established head coach. See the difference?

I understand that one player wasn't a highly rated recruit and the others are. One school was Tulsa with a good (not HOF, your words) up and coming coach, while the other was a Kentucky with a good & established head coach. See the difference?

That is almost correct. I SAID very good (not HOF yet) coach. You left out a couple of words.

Tubby signed many good players at Tulsa. His recruits had success there in both 1996 and 1997.

That is almost correct. I SAID very good (not HOF yet) coach. You left out a couple of words.

Tubby signed many good players at Tulsa. His recruits had success there in both 1996 and 1997.

I never tried to claim that they didn't have success there. I am simply trying to state that most of the credit for a players development goes to the player not the coach. The coach does deserve some credit, but at the end of the day most of it is on the player.

Are you surprised that his recruits didn't forget how to play basketball after he left?

I never tried to claim that they didn't have success there. I am simply trying to state that most of the credit for a players development goes to the player not the coach. The coach does deserve some credit, but at the end of the day most of it is on the player.

Are you surprised that his recruits didn't forget how to play basketball after he left?

No - he's a good recruiter. His recruits at Tulsa and Georgia prove that. Most unheralded in HS or JuCo (except Jumaine Jones), many had good success in Div I basketball.

No - he's a good recruiter. His recruits at Tulsa and Georgia prove that. Most unheralded in HS or JuCo (except Jumaine Jones), many had good success in Div I basketball.

So his recruits at Kentucky and Minnesota don't? At least we can agree on the Minnesota part! I kid, I kid!

FOT - it seems at the U Tubby has taken recruiting chances on high talent players who seem to have had questionable character issues (White, Mbakwe, Joseph) and 2 out of the three didn't work out causing problems for the last two seasons. I understand the strategy when coming to a school like MN and think it was the proper route for Tubby to go, it didn't work out. Is this consistent with his recruiting at Georgia & Tulsa (I don't care about his time recruiting at Kentucky)?

So his recruits at Kentucky and Minnesota don't? At least we can agree on the Minnesota part! I kid, I kid!

FOT - it seems at the U Tubby has taken recruiting chances on high talent players who seem to have had questionable character issues (White, Mbakwe, Joseph) and 2 out of the three didn't work out causing problems for the last two seasons. I understand the strategy when coming to a school like MN and think it was the proper route for Tubby to go, it didn't work out. Is this consistent with his recruiting at Georgia & Tulsa (I don't care about his time recruiting at Kentucky)?

Anybody can recruit at Kentucky, even you.

Mbakwe was already signed before the alleged "character issues" came about.

No "character issues" regarding Devoe Joseph until this year. He signed in Nov 2007.

White had serious "character issues" as a Gopher freshman. He signed in Nov 2008.

I don't know of any serious "character issues" with recruits at Tulsa or Georgia.

Anybody can recruit at Kentucky, even you.

Mbakwe was already signed before the alleged "character issues" came about.

No "character issues" regarding Devoe Joseph until this year. He signed in Nov 2007.

White had serious "character issues" as a Gopher freshman. He signed in Nov 2008.

I don't know of any serious "character issues" with recruits at Tulsa or Georgia.

I didn't say anyone could recruit at Kentcuky, I just feel it is clearly apple to oranges compared to the U.

In regards to Joseph he either recruited a selfish players who didn't fit into his system, had a drug problem while being recruited, or developed a drug problem while in school presumably spending most of his free time with his teammates. I don't know what went on but for one of the better players on this team it sure flamed out quickly. Maybe he couldn't handle the freedom of being away from home ( I wouldn't consider that a character issue).

White was kicked out of his first high school for academic fraud. This was before 2008.

Mbakwe had a restraining order in place during the time of his recruitment. I don't know anything about it/ or the situation other than it was in place. I know that they are quite easy to get so I'm not projecting guilt or innocence, just stating that I would think that is a character issue that needs to be addressed during the recruiting process.

I guess we can disagree what a "character issues" are.

Mbakwe had a restraining order in place during the time of his recruitment.

I don't think that's true. Can you provide a link to show that?

I know the restraining order he violated this season was issued in June 2009. That was 8 months AFTER he committed to the U.

I didn't say anyone could recruit at Kentcuky, I just feel it is clearly apple to oranges compared to the U.

In regards to Joseph he either recruited a selfish players who didn't fit into his system, had a drug problem while being recruited, or developed a drug problem while in school presumably spending most of his free time with his teammates. I don't know what went on but for one of the better players on this team it sure flamed out quickly. Maybe he couldn't handle the freedom of being away from home ( I wouldn't consider that a character issue).

White was kicked out of his first high school for academic fraud. This was before 2008.

Mbakwe had a restraining order in place during the time of his recruitment. I don't know anything about it/ or the situation other than it was in place. I know that they are quite easy to get so I'm not projecting guilt or innocence, just stating that I would think that is a character issue that needs to be addressed during the recruiting process.

I guess we can disagree what a "character issues" are.

I said it. Joe Hall, Eddie Sutton, Rick Pitino, Tubby Smith, Billy Gillispie, and John Calipari are the post-Rupp coaches. Each (except Gillispie) signed at least one #1 rated class.

I know of no "character issues" with Devoe Joseph prior to his problems this year. He listened to his AAU coach, who encouraged him to transfer so he could make the NBA after next year.

I'm tired of answering this nonsense.

I don't think that's true. Can you provide a link to show that?

I know the restraining order he violated this season was issued in June 2009. That was 8 months AFTER he committed to the U.

I don't have a link, I made an assumption that restraining orders are usually in place for two years. and it ended 12/31/10. I can very easily be wrong in that case.

The other poster is simply making stuff up to fit his / her / its agenda.

I wouldn't go that far. There was absolutely no doubt that Tubby took some risks on some kids. I don't fault him for that. At a place like MN, I think you may need to take some risks.

Royce was a clear risk. Rodney was a risk (academics). Trevor had a few red flags long before any of the other stuff (multiple transfers, etc.).

So, I think there is some merit to at least discussing it. Just wanting to clarify something regarding Trevor's recruitment. Pretty sure he did NOT have a restraining order at the time he was being recruited by MN. That's not to say there wasn't some risk, however, in pursuing the young man. I think Trevor has shown it was worth the risk. By most accounts, he's a hard worker and a great teammate and player.

Fool For Tubby is getting owned once again, this time by dpodoll68 - but mostly by his own stubborn idiocy.

I said it. Joe Hall, Eddie Sutton, Rick Pitino, Tubby Smith, Billy Gillispie, and John Calipari are the post-Rupp coaches. Each (except Gillispie) signed at least one #1 rated class.

I know of no "character issues" with Devoe Joseph prior to his problems this year. He listened to his AAU coach, who encouraged him to transfer so he could make the NBA after next year.

Can you read a post without blindly defending Tubby? I have never stated he couldn't recruit. I acknowledged that recruiting at UK is different than at UM. It is also different than recruiting at Georgia or Tulsa. I have never claimed to know the situation with Devoe was. So Devoe was suspended from the team solely for listening to his AAU coach? If so shouldn't Tubby have been able to realize that Joseph was selfish player solely focused on getting to the NBA and not a good fit for his team or system?

You don't ever answer anything, you just ignore anything negative about Tubby whether it is justified or not (clearly you feel it all is not).

How does the fact that everyone (except Gillispie) can recruit at Kentucky help prove your case that Tubby Smith is a good recruiter?

Top Bottom