Assistant Coach Changes

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
wondering if tubby will bring in a new assistant coach that has an offensive system that can get the most out of a team that may struggle to score next year. i see otto being able to run the pick and role very well (given what has been said about his game). and with coleman able to get to the rim i would love to see more pick and roles.

Whoever is in charge of the offense needs to go...after watching a team like Northwestern move without the ball it was a joy to watch

maybe start with all new assistants, but who (of any quality) would want it?

What role does the pick and role play when a pick and roll is run correctly?

I remember Clem saying...

He wasn't the best at x the x and o part of the game. That is why he had Al Brown do the game plans. I
remember on of the back court lunches and I was talking to Flip Saunders and he said Al Brown was one of the best at setting a offense with the game plan.

Something definetly needs to change, yes we lost 3 players this year but there is no excuse for the finish this team had. 1-10 in the last 11 games, thats horrific. Our perimeter defense is pathetic, they get lost constantly, letting "Juice" Thompson burn them for 35...come on maaaann.

Please find someone who can teach the bigs to play with their backs to the basket. What a waste to have 4 big guys and no post moves. No ball fakes. Really nothing left or right. Just shows that AAU basketball is overrated!

Secondly, can we get some improvement on using the "triple threat." The best we have is the ball over the head and some limp two hand pass fakes.

Tubby can improve this team with a return to basketball individual fundamentals.

Please find someone who can teach the bigs to play with their backs to the basket. What a waste to have 4 big guys and no post moves. No ball fakes. Really nothing left or right. Just shows that AAU basketball is overrated!

Secondly, can we get some improvement on using the "triple threat." The best we have is the ball over the head and some limp two hand pass fakes.

Tubby can improve this team with a return to basketball individual fundamentals.

Reminds me of Jeff Hagan. Not very athletic but developed some very nice post moves.

Reminds me of Jeff Hagan. Not very athletic but developed some very nice post moves.

When he came in, most proclaimed him to be horrible and would never contribute.

Then the coaching staff developed him.

RS and CI have not developed well at all incomparison. Where is the coaching?

Long Beach, right?

Michael Ruffin, Nazr Mohammed, Jamaal Magloire, Michael Bradley, Randolph Morris. All made NBA under Tubby. Where was their coaching?

Michael Ruffin, Nazr Mohammed, Jamaal Magloire, Michael Bradley, Randolph Morris. All made NBA under Tubby. Where was their coaching?

Michael Ruffin - never played for Tubby
Nazr Mohammed - played 1 year for Tubby
Michael Bradley - played 2 years for Tubby before transferring to Villanova and getting drafted

These are all pretty huge stretches. Ruffin especially, since his only connection to Tubby is that he was presumably recruited by him during his last year at Tulsa. Out of your entire list, Morris and Magloire were the only two that actually played 3 years for Tubby, and Magloire was a Pitino recruit. Recruiting and coaching 1 NBA big man for the duration of his college career in a 20-year career is nothing to brag about.

Michael Bradley - played 2 years for Tubby before transferring to Villanova and getting drafted

These are all pretty huge stretches. Ruffin especially, since his only connection to Tubby is that he was presumably recruited by him during his last year at Tulsa. Out of your entire list, Morris and Magloire were the only two that actually played 3 years for Tubby, and Magloire was a Pitino recruit. Recruiting and coaching 1 NBA big man for the duration of his college career in a 20-year career is nothing to brag about.

Ruffin was recruited to Tulsa by Tubby (for certain).

Jamaal Magloire was FAR SUPERIOR in 1999 and 2000 under Tubby than he ever was under Pitino.

Nazr Mohammed doubled his career scoring and rebounding averages in 1 year under Tubby.

Michael Bradley played more under Tubby than he did (1 year) at Villanova.

wondering if tubby will bring in a new assistant coach that has an offensive system that can get the most out of a team that may struggle to score next year. i see otto being able to run the pick and role very well (given what has been said about his game). and with coleman able to get to the rim i would love to see more pick and roles.

Nadine Babu was just talking about this on KFAN. Pretty much agreed that we needed to get rid of some assistants.

Clipped from Gopher AD website:

Not only has Smith had elite success, but he has prepared his players to have all the skills necessary to make the jump to the next level. Smith has sent 18 players to the NBA during his coaching career. That list includes 2008 NBA Champion Rajon Rondo of the Boston Celtics, current Milwaukee Buck Jodie Meeks, Portland Trail Blazer Michael Ruffin, Houston Rocket Chuck Hayes, former 10-year veteran Shandon Anderson, Charlotte Bobcat Nazr Mohammed, Detroit Piston Tayshaun Prince, former eight-year veteran Scott Padgett, current Miami Heat Jamaal Magloire, Atlanta Hawk Randolph Morris, Golden State Warrior Kelenna Azubuike and San Antonio Spur guard Keith Bogans. Other Smith players to reach the NBA include Shea Seals, Wayne Turner, Erik Daniels, Gerald Fitch, Jeff Sheppard and Michael Bradley.

Missing are Gary Clark (drafted by NBA in 1994), Jumaine Jones (signed by Tubby in 1997, NBA 1st round pick in 1999), and Joe Crawford (drafted by NBA in 2008).

The point of your post was that these players received good coaching from Tubby, and thus made the league.

Ruffin was recruited to Tulsa by Tubby (for certain).

Again, never coached by Tubby. At all.

Jamaal Magloire was FAR SUPERIOR in 1999 and 2000 under Tubby than he ever was under Pitino.

You mean a player was better in his sophomore and junior seasons than he was in his freshman year? That almost never happens.

Nazr Mohammed doubled his career scoring and rebounding averages in 1 year under Tubby.

You mean a player was better in his senior season than he was in his freshman through junior seasons? That almost never happens.

Michael Bradley played more under Tubby than he did (1 year) at Villanova.

Who knows if he would have made the league if he had never played a year under Steve Lappas?

It's likely that all of these players would have made the league regardless, so to attribute their success to the 0-2 years they played for Tubby is extremely specious at best.

The point of your post was that these players received good coaching from Tubby, and thus made the league.

Again, never coached by Tubby. At all.

You mean a player was better in his sophomore and junior seasons than he was in his freshman year? That almost never happens.

You mean a player was better in his senior season than he was in his freshman through junior seasons? That almost never happens.

Who knows if he would have made the league if he had never played a year under Steve Lappas?

It's likely that all of these players would have made the league regardless, so to attribute their success to the 0-2 years they played for Tubby is extremely specious at best.

Nazr was part-time C under Pitino but 1st All-SEC under Tubby.
Magloire was part-time C under Pitino but 1st All-SEC under Tubby.

Steve Lappas? That made me spit coffee out of my nose. STEVE LAPPAS???

Nazr was part-time C under Pitino but 1st All-SEC under Tubby.
Magloire was part-time C under Pitino but 1st All-SEC under Tubby.

Yes, players ahead of them graduated/declared, they got older and improved, they became better players, they took on expanded roles, and they won recognition and honors for it. This happens in every team sport at every level ever played in the history of ever. How on earth are you going to attribute that to Tubby?

Steve Lappas? That made me spit coffee out of my nose. STEVE LAPPAS???

Yes, I'm glad you got the joke. Attributing Bradley's success to Steve Lappas is no more ridiculous than attributing it to Tubby.

Yes, players ahead of them graduated/declared, they got older and improved, they became better players, they took on expanded roles, and they won recognition and honors for it. This happens in every team sport at every level ever played in the history of ever. How on earth are you going to attribute that to Tubby?

Yes, I'm glad you got the joke. Attributing Bradley's success to Steve Lappas is no more ridiculous than attributing it to Tubby.

Pitino is terrible at developing post (C) players. He's VERY GOOD at developing wings (F and G).

Nazr had very similar Mins Per G in 1997 and 1998. He was far superior under Tubby. Ditto Magloire. I followed UK then. I presume you didn't (unless U R a UK troll).

unless U R a UK troll

Give me a break.

Yes, the guy who has lived in the MSP metro for the past 13 years, is a season-ticket holder for Gophers football, and has never even been geographically closer to Lexington, Kentucky than western Ohio is a UK troll.

Not everyone that proves your endless fact posting wrong is a UK troll or a racist. I actually like most of your posts, but your willingness to admit when you're wrong is beyond maddening.

It's ok to admit that you're wrong once in a while. It doesn't make you a lesser person.

I can take the rest of your players (huge stretches that they are), but Ruffin and Bradley are just plain wrong. 100%. Not even debatable.

It's ok. Just say it. "I'm wrong." Doesn't that feel better? It's not your fault. It's not your fault.

Give me a break.

Yes, the guy who has lived in Minnesota for the past 13 years, is a season-ticket holder for Gophers football, and has never even been geographically closer to Lexington, Kentucky than western Ohio is a UK troll.

Not everyone that proves your endless fact posting wrong is a UK troll or a racist. I actually like most of your posts, but your willingness to admit when you're wrong is beyond maddening.

It's ok to admit that you're wrong once in a while. It doesn't make you a lesser person.

I can take the rest of your players (huge stretches that they are), but Ruffin and Bradley are just plain wrong. 100%. Not even debatable.

It's ok. Just say it. "I'm wrong." Doesn't that feel better? It's not your fault. It's not your fault.

My point is that I know their situations at UK more than you do. A LOT more. They improved greatly under Tubby compared to Pitino. I'm NOT WRONG on this.

I clipped the Ruffin and Bradley references from the official Gopher AD bio for Tubby. You may wish to contact them for changes to suit your point of view.

My point is that I know their situations at UK more than you do. A LOT more. They improved greatly under Tubby compared to Pitino. I'm NOT WRONG on this.

I clipped the Ruffin and Bradley references from the official Gopher AD bio for Tubby. You may wish to contact them for changes to suit your point of view.

So, let's say I turn in a paper with horrible sources that are grossly incorrect in their facts and logic, and I get an F. Whose fault is that? Mine or the sources? Is the professor going to give me a free pass and let me rewrite the paper because my sources sucked?

Exactly.

The sources are wrong. You are wrong. Nobody attributes (for example) Kris Humphries to Mike Krzyzewski. Nobody attributes Rick Rickert to Lute Olson. Presuming Devoe Joseph goes to the NBA or a minor league at some point, nobody will attribute him to Tubby.

So, let's say I turn in a paper with horrible sources that are grossly incorrect in their facts and logic, and I get an F. Whose fault is that? Mine or the sources? Is the professor going to give me a free pass and let me rewrite the paper because my sources sucked?

Exactly.

The sources are wrong. You are wrong. Nobody attributes (for example) Kris Humphries to Mike Krzyzewski. Nobody attributes Rick Rickert to Lute Olson. Presuming Devoe Joseph goes to the NBA or a minor league at some point, nobody will attribute him to Tubby.

As I said, take that (point of view) up with the Gopher AD website. I clipped from their bio.

Jimmy Williams was a pretty good assistant coach. He might be available.

OTOH I'm not sure a change in assistant coaches would bring about much change. Any change will have to come from the top. By that I mean Tubby may have to learn a few new tricks. I am not a 'friend of Tubby' so I cannot say for sure. But I would be willing to bet that Tubby is hands ON in every aspect of COACHING the team and the game. My guess is he runs everything --- Offense, defense, press, big men, guard play, time-out plays, out-of-bounds plays, motivation, free-throws, shot selection, shooting form, substitution pattern, etc... etc... etc. I am sure he counts on his assistants to some degree but he looks to me to be a micro-manager and has his hands in every minute detail. I think he is capable of making the change and adapting his style to be more inclusive with his coaching style and involving his assistants more. Some changes need to be made because it appears to me that this team totally quit on him this year - and not just because of injuries and defections. He needs to address this and be willing to change, adapt and recognize that not everything he does is the CATS meow just because he used to coach KY. Changing assistants does not do it for me. Maybe Tubby needs to recognize that he needs to make some changes for himself.

well then i guess the question that must be asked who the assistants were at kentucky. Becuase something has changed between him coming here and when he was at Kentucky. Maybe they need to get Jimmy Williams back. It was obvious that Tubby wanted him and why let Maturi make the coaching chouces for Tubby's assistants. I will concede that Kentucky had better players and better prospects (anyone who say they did not is being unrealistic) so more time here maybe needed. But i would still like to see someone be held accountable for this season. And maybe tubby needs to hire an offensively minded assistant and be humble enough to admitt that his offensive plann has not worked. This grounp of recruits and returning players should be able to handle his defensive press.

As I said, take that (point of view) up with the Gopher AD website. I clipped from their bio.

So, when you quote completely inaccurate information, you are exonerated from any culpability? That's not how it works. By quoting information and using it in defense of your viewpoint, you are making it your own information. The bio is wrong, and so are you. They cannot be mutually exclusive.

DPODOLL

I can see you never wnat to give any credit to Tubby. I was not happy the way things have gone here (too many legal problem, people leaving, missing big recruits, not able to find money for the practice facility.) But the guy has a track record just like any other coach. everyone wants tim miles, why, because he has won everywhere he has been. Just like tubby. if you can use tim mile's resume to prove why he should coach the gophers than compare that to tubby's resume and you will see that we got a heck of a coach. now if 3 years down the road we are in the same situation then something needs to be done. I would be interested to see if Tim Miles would like to be an assistant and named the coach in waiting.

Top Bottom