Arizona supposedly closing in on HC

We'll see, but I'd bet that the new hire won't be one of the four names listed. I have no inside info, it's just that the media always seems to get it wrong. The four listed may be the writer's favs, but what does that have to do with the hiring reality?

Boy are the chips falling hard and fast in the coaching world!!!

I expected that Arizona might take its time with this hire simply because they wanted to make sure they got the right guy. But if they really were interested in Calipari, it makes more sense that they would move faster before another one of their top choices was scooped up by another program.

If it is Few, I don't think too many folks will be surprised on a national level. His resume is impeccable and he's proven he can succeed big time at a small school over an extended period of time. All and all, if it is Few, I think Arizona made the best hire they could hope for.

If it is Few, I wonder what happens to Sam Dower. Does he asked to be released from his LOI?

If it is Few, I wonder what happens to Sam Dower. Does he asked to be released from his LOI?

That's an interesting question. If it is true, then that's definitely a possibility I would think, although he may also like Gonzaga as an academic option in addition to having really good relationships with the players as well. To be honest, I don't know enough about him to make a judgment.

If I remember correctly, his final two choices were Gonzaga and the Gophers, with Gonzaga barely edging us out in the end. It also sounded like it was a really tough choice for him at the time. It will interesting to see what happens with him if this is true.

Arizona might be making a mistake by cutting Russ Pennell loose. He'd work a whole lot cheaper and he can flat out coach and teach the game.

G4L- I know you are close with Monson... Any chance he takes the Gonzaga job?? :)

Mark Few is a fabulous coach and I think he will do great at a big time program like Arizona - if these reports are accurate. He constantly has Gonzaga competing with the big dogs, now he has the chance to lead one of the big dogs.

However, the latest I am reading is that Jeff Capel is now the leading candidate for the Arizona position. It says that at the bottom of the link posted earlier, and SportsCenter also reported it.

I will be very interested to see what happens with Sam Dower. I love his game and I think he has a very high ceiling. I know we have used all of our scholarships, but if Dower asks to be released, is there any way at all we can get him in Maroon and Gold?

Beyond that, this potentially helps the Gophs' efforts in recruiting Joe Hanstad.

>>Any chance he takes the Gonzaga job??<<

Only if Few hangs around to once again do the real coaching for him.

>>that has ESPN stating that Capel has the job<<

I don't think Capel will leave Oklahoma, but he'd be a better catch for AZ than Few.

I wondered the same thing. Few has seemingly proven that he is one of the top 10 or 15 coaches in America, consistently taking a school with little tradition and resources to the dance every year for about ten years (sorry, don't know the exact number). Not only have they gotten there, but they are talented and dangerous almost every year.

I guess i don't really follow the Big 12, but I don't recall Oklahoma (under Capel, anyway) doing much in the past. It also would be mildly concerning for a school like Arizona to hire Capel, who is very open about how is not a "lifer" and won't coach for too long, as his dreams lie in the front office of a franchise.

That's an interesting question. If it is true, then that's definitely a possibility I would think, although he may also like Gonzaga as an academic option in addition to having really good relationships with the players as well. To be honest, I don't know enough about him to make a judgment.

If I remember correctly, his final two choices were Gonzaga and the Gophers, with Gonzaga barely edging us out in the end. It also sounded like it was a really tough choice for him at the time. It will interesting to see what happens with him if this is true.

Johnny Gopher would probably have the answer to this, but I don't think Dower was ever more than a "plan B" for the Gophers and committed to Gonzaga. I think his situation was somewhat similar to the 7 footer who ended up at Colorado State. The Gophers showed some interest, but he never had a scholarship to accept.

Dowers situation is tricky, Sam eventually did get a Minnesota offer but he was already long gone to Gonzaga at that point and Minnesota was never all that impressed with him. I don't remember anybody ever saying positive things about his game. His offer was a suprise to alot of people but I don't think MN had any plan of actually signing him and was doing some good PR by offering a local kid who they knew was already basically a verbal to another school. Sam should do well in the West Coast Conferance but he is pretty soft for the Big Ten and Trevor fills our needs much, much better.

Tim Floyd to Arizona

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4035206

It sounds like they had to go quite a ways down their list. . .no Pitino, Izzo, Dixon, Few, Capel, Tubby, etc. etc.

That fan base is just a bit dramatic. . .if you've enjoyed the entertainment at Cats Pause in the past, you'll enjoy GoAZcats.com

And as is the case with Virginia, a guy who no one talks about is hired. Few? Capel? Nope - Tim Floyd.

One more big program filled with a coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4035206

It sounds like they had to go quite a ways down their list. . .no Pitino, Izzo, Dixon, Few, Capel, Tubby, etc. etc.

That fan base is just a bit dramatic. . .if you've enjoyed the entertainment at Cats Pause in the past, you'll enjoy GoAZcats.com

Oooh goodie a new board - Cats Pause is becoming kind of boring. They are much more fun when they are imploding. Of course I did just read a post about food tasting better since Calipari was hired so it wasn't a total disappointment entertainment wise.

Tim Floyd is a great coach who has won everywhere he has been in the college ranks(Univ of New Orleans, iowa State,USC). I am guessing his name did not come up much as coaches don't often move within the same conference and Tim Floyd stated during their tourney run this year how USC was a perfect job for him with all the talent in So Cal and the fact that USC recently upgraded their facilities. He has proved you can win at USC and if it was me I would rather live in LA than Tucson.

You're probably right on LA over Tucson on first blush, but CA has had the dems in too long and the taxes are insane and its only getting worse.

You've got to love all the national media guys. Andy Katz, who I actually tend to enjoy more than a lot of the other talking heads around the country, now is speculating that if Floyd takes the Arizona job, that Jamie Dixon may leave Pittsburgh for USC and if that occurs, then Sean Miller would jump into the Pitt job from Xavier....:eek:

Guess we could title these unfolding soap-opera like events as "As The Coaching World Turns."

With Tim Floyd going to Arizona, look for it to be the new NCAA Capital of one and done University.

Yes, can we please have more stupidity / political discussion

Seth Davis is reporting that Tim Floyd really wanted to coach in John McCain's home state (because there are lots of Republicans there).

"He's a good Republican. Kind of. And that's the kind of politician I look for when it comes to choosing a coaching position." - Tim Floyd

Hey Gopher Teeth, thanks for making everyone else's opinions look vastly more intelligent.

Tim Floyd is a great coach who has won everywhere he has been in the college ranks(Univ of New Orleans, iowa State,USC). I am guessing his name did not come up much as coaches don't often move within the same conference and Tim Floyd stated during their tourney run this year how USC was a perfect job for him with all the talent in So Cal and the fact that USC recently upgraded their facilities. He has proved you can win at USC and if it was me I would rather live in LA than Tucson.

It sure seems like USC would be one of the top jobs based the close proximity to talent. Even with UCLA I would think there is enough for both. Must have been a quality of life issue, did not like the size of La.

Somebody has to set me straight on something -- is there any job on the planet that is better than being a coach at USC? I don't know what he makes but im pretty sure Floyd wasn't living check to check.

Somebody has to set me straight on something -- is there any job on the planet that is better than being a coach at USC? I don't know what he makes but im pretty sure Floyd wasn't living check to check.

I think the biggest reason it may not be as good of job as Arizona is because you are competing with UCLA for attention and recognition in the media. In Arizona you're the only game in town and your not sharing media attention with another well known basketball school.

Top Bottom