Are We Headed Towards 4 Conferences?

Same rumor says tv deal for PAC is only 22m.

There's a rumor out there right now that Arizona, ASU, Colorado and Utah may be heading to the Big 12...
That rumor has been pushed for months, by certain people who benefit financial from doing so.

There is a Arizona internet beat guy who will push over small children to tell anyone who will listen that Arizona needs to go to the B12, and has been screaming it non-stop.

Let me guess, "sources say". Uh huh, same old, same old.

The Arizona schools want to leave the conference they've been in since the 70's, so they can go play Central Florida, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Baylor, TCU, and BYU? K-State, Oklahoma State, Iowa State? Those are their peers? :sneaky:

Saber rattling, to make sure Washington and Oregon don't get some BS un-equal revenue sharing.

Those two have nowhere to go. Let them threaten to leave and cry like babies.

Here's some clickbait, if you want to be a gullible fish:

I won't give it a click. Bad enough that the Tweet gets a view.

Much better: https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-pac-12-officially-exploring

Key points:
* Colorado not expected to leave, their AD on record with that
* Oregon is "way on board" with Pac-12
* Presidents, other stakeholders don't think Kliavkoff needs to say anything
(basically noise is media driven BS) [G4L comment: THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
* making the Big 12 $31.7m is considered a "layup"
* Apple/Amazon involvement is the biggest reason it's slow go
* Colorado State is an expansion candidate, 4th is unidentified
* UNLV is not (academic profile), nor are Boise State or Fresno State (similar)

Last edited:

Agree with Colorado State.

Institutionally, research, facilities .... they're exactly the same level as Washington State and Oregon State.

Won't move the needle in the slightest for TV. Which is probably what wins the day.

every source has an agenda. Sure, some may be more credible than others - but everyone who speaks to a reporter has a story that they want to see in print or on the air.

you can go to 10 different websites or outlets and get 10 different versions of what they "think" is going to happen.

which means that, no matter what opinion you may have, you can find some media source that agrees with you.

that does not mean that you are "right" - it just means that some source agrees with you. meanwhile, another source says your source is wrong.

when the Pac-12 announces a media deal, then we'll have some actual information.

Much better: https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-pac-12-officially-exploring

Key points:
* Colorado not expected to leave, their AD on record with that
* Oregon is "way on board" with Pac-12
* Presidents, other stakeholders don't think Kliavkoff needs to say anything
(basically noise is media driven BS) [G4L comment: THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
* making the Big 12 $31.7m is considered a "layup"
* Apple/Amazon involvement is the biggest reason it's slow go
* Colorado State is an expansion candidate, 4th is unidentified
* UNLV is not (academic profile), nor are Boise State or Fresno State (similar)
Oh, the irony. As you posted earlier, I won't give it a click.

Probably not irony. Coincidence is usually the correct word in most situations where people think it's irony.

The fact that they are taking this much time to get a contract means that it is terrible and each day that goes by means it is that much more terrible. So I lean in the direction of it being less than $30m and schools are trying to leave.

The fact that they are taking this much time to get a contract means that it is terrible and each day that goes by means it is that much more terrible. So I lean in the direction of it being less than $30m and schools are trying to leave.
Nah. It’s because they’re trying to work something out with Amazon and/or Apple, which will be a first in major college football.

Lot of moving pieces means it takes more time.

Big Ten deal took a long time to announce too, but it worked out.

Nah. It’s because they’re trying to work something out with Amazon and/or Apple, which will be a first in major college football.

Lot of moving pieces means it takes more time.

Big Ten deal took a long time to announce too, but it worked out.
Amazon/Apple has already told them they wouldn't provide all the games each week. Maybe only 2 per week, that doesn't work for anybody. Hence the lowball offer and why PAC is still out there begging. I agree with rumors that a least one school will leave by end of the month.

There are no valid rumors, just clickbait.

Don’t be surprised when all 10 are still in the PAC the next few years.

Probably not irony. Coincidence is usually the correct word in most situations where people think it's irony.

No that is definitely irony. You sit here every day all day deriding any writer or media type as clickbait when they post something you don't agree with and you are literally posting clickbait to attack the clickbait you disagree with. That is not a coincidence that is you not understanding what irony is.

No that is definitely irony. You sit here every day all day deriding any writer or media type as clickbait when they post something you don't agree with and you are literally posting clickbait to attack the clickbait you disagree with. That is not a coincidence that is you not understanding what irony is.
Irony would be like having a novelty joke fire extinguisher in your house, that looks like the real thing but just shoots out a flag saying "Ha Ha!" when you pull the trigger.

Me posting the latest blog from the foremost insider and expert in the West Coast college athletics media, most certainly not clickbait, is nothing of the sort.

Irony would be like having a novelty joke fire extinguisher in your house, that looks like the real thing but just shoots out a flag saying "Ha Ha!" when you pull the trigger.

Me posting the latest blog from the foremost insider and expert in the West Coast college athletics media, most certainly not clickbait, is nothing of the sort.

"My insider is bigger than your insider!"

But - all kidding aside, when the Pac-12 is reportedly talking to ION TV as a possible broadcast partner - or is talking about being the first P5 conference with a large number of its games on streaming - that is a concern.

Hey, maybe the Pac-12 is fooling everyone and they will eventually announce a deal that is just as good or better than the Big-12.

but until that happens, people will have doubts.

bottom line - all things being equal, you would rather be in a conference that has settled its media deal as opposed to being in a conference where things just keep dragging out with no resolution.

But - all kidding aside, when the Pac-12 is reportedly talking to ION TV as a possible broadcast partner - or is talking about being the first P5 conference with a large number of its games on streaming - that is a concern.
It is? I think you're just making up that it is.

Ion TV, I'm guessing, is just to have some games in the big western markets on broadcast TV. Like if the Big Ten wanted to simulcast one BTN game per week on channels like Fox9+ in the Twin Cities and similar in other Big Ten markets.

Streaming is not a concern in the slightest. MLS already getting positive reviews for its AppleTV+ coverage, which you don't need to subscribe to ATV+ to get, you can do a standalone thing.

Good lord talk about making stuff up...

It is? I think you're just making up that it is.

Ion TV, I'm guessing, is just to have some games in the big western markets on broadcast TV. Like if the Big Ten wanted to simulcast one BTN game per week on channels like Fox9+ in the Twin Cities and similar in other Big Ten markets.

Streaming is not a concern in the slightest. MLS already getting positive reviews for its AppleTV+ coverage, which you don't need to subscribe to ATV+ to get, you can do a standalone thing.
Standalone MLS season pass is $14.99 a month. I won't pay that and I'm a soccer/loons fan. Streaming will hurt ratings but maybe they don't care if the money works out in the short term. Not sure it will help build a fan base in the long term.

Well, when the Pac-12 comes out with that new media deal - which pays every school $31-Million or more a year, then Gophers_4life can say "I told you so."

I don't want to turn this into a p*ssing match - but I simply do not believe that anyone posting on an internet message board in MN has any real inside knowledge of what is happening with the Pac-12 media deal.

all any of us are doing is reading various sources online and repeating what they are claiming.

FWIW - Pete Thamel on ESPN says one option being considered is a short-term "tourniquet" agreement of maybe 3 or 4 years.

I simply do not believe that anyone posting on an internet message board in MN has any real inside knowledge of what is happening with the Pac-12 media deal.
If a person is posting on GH, they don't have any "real" "inside knowledge" of anything.

You come to GH to share Tweets, articles, and your unsolicited, layperson opinions, because this is the only outlet you have to be heard. That's the base assumption of GH, to begin with. It's understood. It doesn't need to be explained or restated with each and every post.

all any of us are doing is reading various sources online and repeating what they are claiming.
And having our own opinions.

FWIW - Pete Thamel on ESPN says one option being considered is a short-term "tourniquet" agreement of maybe 3 or 4 years.
So long as the Big Ten does not offer membership to any of the current 10 remaining Pac-12 members, there will be no schools leaving the conference.

Those 10, plus 2-4 additional, worthy new invitees, will always be able to demand, and receive, at least equal money per school, per year as the Big 12. That is the ground truth that any honest discussion starts from.

If/when 2-4 of those current 10 receive Big Ten invitations, then I think it's reasonable to start talking about the "demise" of the Pac conference.

Can't see a scenario where either ends up in the B1G. Both Berkeley and Stanford are globally ranked Top 5 universities.
Stanford actually tries to play sports well though

If a person is posting on GH, they don't have any "real" "inside knowledge" of anything.

You come to GH to share Tweets, articles, and your unsolicited, layperson opinions, because this is the only outlet you have to be heard. That's the base assumption of GH, to begin with. It's understood. It doesn't need to be explained or restated with each and every post.

And having our own opinions.

So long as the Big Ten does not offer membership to any of the current 10 remaining Pac-12 members, there will be no schools leaving the conference.

Those 10, plus 2-4 additional, worthy new invitees, will always be able to demand, and receive, at least equal money per school, per year as the Big 12. That is the ground truth that any honest discussion starts from.

If/when 2-4 of those current 10 receive Big Ten invitations, then I think it's reasonable to start talking about the "demise" of the Pac conference.
Your 2nd to last paragraph, while I understand it is your opinion, my opinion is that is way off.

PAC is now on their last year of their contract. Waiting this long to announce a new contract screams bad news for them and it gets worse each week. They are now an embarrassment in the college sports world at the Div 1 level. I'm embarrassed for them. I'm sure their next deal will be below $30m and might be less exposure on top of it. And bringing anyone new in would further dilute the shares.

Your 2nd to last paragraph, while I understand it is your opinion, my opinion is that is way off.
That’s just fine. You of course have the right to your opinion. We can agree to disagree.

PAC is now on their last year of their contract. Waiting this long to announce a new contract screams bad news for them and it gets worse each week.
I don’t see why it’s any different than when the Big Ten took forever to announce their latest TV deal, constantly missing deadlines for the announcement. It was a complex deal and it took a long time to announce.

They are now an embarrassment in the college sports world at the Div 1 level. I'm embarrassed for them.
:sneaky:

I'm sure their next deal will be below $30m and might be less exposure on top of it. And bringing anyone new in would further dilute the shares.
Agree to disagree. They’ll have at least the same money and exposure as the Central Florida, Cincinnati, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, BYU conference. Who just brought in four new members (dilution!) while losing their two by far and away most valuable members.

Do the Gophers really want Washington and/or Oregon to join the Big Ten from a recruiting perspective? Aren't both schools better at NIL and recruiting than we are in most years for multiple reasons? If they joined, they'd likely take more from us than we got from them and make our football look worse, right? Over time, our importance to the conference would be diminished. I wonder why a mid to lower tier Big Ten team would want to add those two schools. It's a concern of mine. I like the Gophers being decent.

Adding USC and UCLA concerns me less because they have great recruiting right in their own backyard. Maybe by having them in our conference we can occasionally poach a good player from there especially when our program is doing well. With Oregon and Washington in our conference, it becomes more difficult for the Gophers to ever develop any recruiting in southern Cal because those players are more likely to just go straight up the coast just like they always have. The Gophers getting more conference money from the Big Ten should at least marginally help in this regard.

On the other hand...
I love the idea of adding these two teams and making our conference truly national. It would be so much more fun from a scheduling perspective. When the Gophers suck and I lose interest until they improve, I'd be more likely to just become an overall Big Ten fan. How many other people are like this? A lot of us jump on and off bandwagons pretty easily, but still stay local in our fandom because we are familiar with the other schools in our conference. Is there a benefit for the conference in capturing more casual fans across the US by being more "national" instead of these people just likely tuning in the SEC?

I guess the Big Ten has answered that last question so far and the answer is "NO". If it didn't hurt the Gophers, I'd like to see the Big Ten expand. It would make watching college football more fun for me.

On a side note, I'm competitive and I want our conference to beat the SEC even though I'm not sure how that changes my life:) I still end up watching a lot of SEC football because it's so good! Damn them!

Well, just to stir the pot - Dennis Dodd on cbssports.com - Thurs, March 9

(Big 12 commissioner) Yormark continues to pursue the Pac-12's Four Corners schools: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah. There have been "weekly" conversations between the Big 12 and those four programs as talks have heated up, one league insider tells CBS Sports.

It may only take one of the Four Corners schools to bolt from the Pac-12 for the other three to follow, Big 12 sources say.

Three high-ranking industry sources in the last week told CBS Sports they believe Yormark is going to be successful in luring at least some combination of Four Corners schools. Some went farther speculating the Pac-12 was a couple of weeks away from dissolving.

Oregon and Washington: The future of the Ducks and Huskies as members of the Pac-12 may be tied to outgoing Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren. There are indications at least one Big Ten media rights holder won't engage in expansion talks until Warren officially leaves the conference for the Chicago Bears on April 17. Big Ten athletic directors and presidents were against such a move that would have included Stanford and California. Without Warren being around to push for those schools, it may work out for their advantage. Eventually.

Well, just to stir the pot - Dennis Dodd on cbssports.com - Thurs, March 9

(Big 12 commissioner) Yormark continues to pursue the Pac-12's Four Corners schools: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah. There have been "weekly" conversations between the Big 12 and those four programs as talks have heated up, one league insider tells CBS Sports.

It may only take one of the Four Corners schools to bolt from the Pac-12 for the other three to follow, Big 12 sources say.

Three high-ranking industry sources in the last week told CBS Sports they believe Yormark is going to be successful in luring at least some combination of Four Corners schools. Some went farther speculating the Pac-12 was a couple of weeks away from dissolving.

Oregon and Washington: The future of the Ducks and Huskies as members of the Pac-12 may be tied to outgoing Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren. There are indications at least one Big Ten media rights holder won't engage in expansion talks until Warren officially leaves the conference for the Chicago Bears on April 17. Big Ten athletic directors and presidents were against such a move that would have included Stanford and California. Without Warren being around to push for those schools, it may work out for their advantage. Eventually.

Want a really easy want to tell if it's clickbait?

If the article is 1-2 thousand words of the author pontificating, and the whole thing boils down to a single, flimsy "one league insider tells" throwaway bit .... it's probably clickbait.

Safe to say that the network holding up adding Oregon and Wash to the B1G is CBS. And they'll gladly renegotiate to add those 2 schools in starting April 17. Explains holding up the future schedule for B1G and for OSU cancelling their game against Wash. I see pods in our future.

Do the Gophers really want Washington and/or Oregon to join the Big Ten from a recruiting perspective? Aren't both schools better at NIL and recruiting than we are in most years for multiple reasons? If they joined, they'd likely take more from us than we got from them and make our football look worse, right? Over time, our importance to the conference would be diminished. I wonder why a mid to lower tier Big Ten team would want to add those two schools. It's a concern of mine. I like the Gophers being decent.

Adding USC and UCLA concerns me less because they have great recruiting right in their own backyard. Maybe by having them in our conference we can occasionally poach a good player from there especially when our program is doing well. With Oregon and Washington in our conference, it becomes more difficult for the Gophers to ever develop any recruiting in southern Cal because those players are more likely to just go straight up the coast just like they always have. The Gophers getting more conference money from the Big Ten should at least marginally help in this regard.

On the other hand...
I love the idea of adding these two teams and making our conference truly national. It would be so much more fun from a scheduling perspective. When the Gophers suck and I lose interest until they improve, I'd be more likely to just become an overall Big Ten fan. How many other people are like this? A lot of us jump on and off bandwagons pretty easily, but still stay local in our fandom because we are familiar with the other schools in our conference. Is there a benefit for the conference in capturing more casual fans across the US by being more "national" instead of these people just likely tuning in the SEC?

I guess the Big Ten has answered that last question so far and the answer is "NO". If it didn't hurt the Gophers, I'd like to see the Big Ten expand. It would make watching college football more fun for me.

On a side note, I'm competitive and I want our conference to beat the SEC even though I'm not sure how that changes my life:) I still end up watching a lot of SEC football because it's so good! Damn them!
The Big Ten knows that it can sit around and bide its time with Western schools.

There's zero chance the SEC would ever add them, or that they would join the SEC.

Top Bottom