Anything positive you can think of?

They didn’t cover against Purdue. I had it at +18.5 and lost by 19 (I had Purdue but same concept). Forgot about VT. They back door covered that one. We’re down 19 with 2 minutes to go and lost by 10.

Results here. Lines vary from place to place—but the only result that would have been different is possibly Purdue.

ESPN box score had it at 20. That could just be the opening line though.

Presently, the Gophers play slow as they work to learn how to play consistently at an elite level. I expect there will be progress as the season goes along. The learning curve is huge for this team, but the ceiling is high as well. Whether the kids get to the level needed to win a B1G game has yet to be seen. Right now, it doesn't look good, but these kids are going to get better, as long as they don't read the GH and listen to naysayers.

Garcia is still pretty soft, but he seems to be getting at least a little tougher and scrappier. Not sure what his +/- is lately, but he's scoring some points.
I wouldn’t say soft, he’s very skilled and his game is more finesse than the much over-used “gritty”, but he plays hard. Tougher than I thought coming in. He’s got a big load to carry this season.

I think our best chances to win are probably three of first four after Christmas. At Wisconsin- they don’t usually pull away from teams. Home vs Nebraska. At Ohio State probably not so much. Illinois at home. The longer we are Ofer the harder it will be to win.
Nobody wants to lose to the Ofer teams. I don’t see our confidence rising without winning.
Love to see us get to 2 and 2 and then 3 and 3. That would be surprising but they are probably capable….just not probable it happens.
We need to shock some people.

I think our best chances to win are probably three of first four after Christmas. At Wisconsin- they don’t usually pull away from teams. Home vs Nebraska. At Ohio State probably not so much. Illinois at home. The longer we are Ofer the harder it will be to win.
Nobody wants to lose to the Ofer teams. I don’t see our confidence rising without winning.
Love to see us get to 2 and 2 and then 3 and 3. That would be surprising but they are probably capable….just not probable it happens.
We need to shock some people.
We have to cut our turnovers down and rebound the ball. Become elite in these two areas and you can stay close to anybody.

It’s been over 20 years (I didn’t look back further) since a team went winless in the conference. I would bet this squad isn’t a 0 win team. Too many good players. They’d have to lose all will to play and I don’t see that.
Agreed. I think battle is good enough that he’ll have at least one game where he goes for 30 and wills us to a win.

So I'm not a person who bets but rarely. I'm taking that as the positive. So, how many times have we covered the spread? How many times will we? And will that tiny number be a Gopher record?
Something I’ve never followed but will be watching all season.

The good news?
The Gopher FB team plays in a bowl this week.
The Vikings won the division.
Spring training is less than 50 days away.
Gopher hoops is…. Umm, nevermind.

The good news?
The Gopher FB team plays in a bowl this week.
The Vikings won the division.
Spring training is less than 50 days away.
Gopher hoops is…. Umm, breaking in a fairly new coach and many new players!
FIFY

Marcus Carr, a player that this board hated and I always thought (and still do) was the best pg I have ever seen here (too young for Bobby Jackson) is playing himself into the draft.

I know this isn't "gopher" news but with how everyone on here continues to follow ex players and coaches I figured it counts.

Marcus Carr, a player that this board hated and I always thought (and still do) was the best pg I have ever seen here (too young for Bobby Jackson) is playing himself into the draft.

I know this isn't "gopher" news but with how everyone on here continues to follow ex players and coaches I figured it counts.
Did the board hate carr? I remember most complaints being around how Pitino allowed him to do whatever he wanted and being obviously tired at the end of games because he played 38+ minutes per game.

Did the board hate carr? I remember most complaints being around how Pitino allowed him to do whatever he wanted and being obviously tired at the end of games because he played 38+ minutes per game.
Yes, the posters on all the Gopher boards hated Carr.

During a losing season, the coach & a few selected players are always scapegoated...regardless of the circumstances.

I always liked Carr though.

I remember posters accusing him of being a ball hog. Everyone has a story and Carrs is that until he got to Texas he had very little talent around him and his teams best chance to win was him dropping 30.

I remember posters accusing him of being a ball hog. Everyone has a story and Carrs is that until he got to Texas he had very little talent around him and his teams best chance to win was him dropping 30.
I loved the guy. It wasn't his fault that they played him too many minutes. I don't know if I publicly said he had NBA potential, but I remember thinking it.

I loved the guy. It wasn't his fault that they played him too many minutes. I don't know if I publicly said he had NBA potential, but I remember thinking it.
A little small and not clear if he has the range to be an effective three point shooter in the NBA, but he has a shot.

Carr was the best guard we have had here in awhile. Oturu was the best big man we have had here in awhile. They have had other nice players in Murphy/Mason/Coffey/a few others. I always thought that Pitino had better players than his results would suggest. But maybe it just speaks to how difficult this conference really is.

Carr was the best guard we have had here in awhile. Oturu was the best big man we have had here in awhile. They have had other nice players in Murphy/Mason/Coffey/a few others. I always thought that Pitino had better players than his results would suggest. But maybe it just speaks to how difficult this conference really is.
Pitino was always close...but 1 player away from having a great team. Things just didn't quite line up right. Early NBA entries, a 1-year-delay for a waiver, a suspension, etc.

That's why I'm so big on trying to line things up. I want good players at every position ALL ON THE SAME TEAM. Not bringing in transfers now who will be gone when our young guys get good.

Yes, the posters on all the Gopher boards hated Carr.

During a losing season, the coach & a few selected players are always scapegoated...regardless of the circumstances.

I always liked Carr though.
All the gopher boards? There is more than 1? I recall most of the criticism being pointed at Pitino.

Pitino was always close...but 1 player away from having a great team. Things just didn't quite line up right. Early NBA entries, a 1-year-delay for a waiver, a suspension, etc.

That's why I'm so big on trying to line things up. I want good players at every position ALL ON THE SAME TEAM. Not bringing in transfers now who will be gone when our young guys get good.
That’s a tough strategy that may never play out. Relying on freshmen to develop with an unproven coach is a very risky bet. Let’s string this out and say all freshmen have to stay four years (which we all know is not true in basketball with transfer portal + there is a thing called recruiting flops as well):
- Payne: must likely will be really good/ provides hope

- carrington: outside of a few open jumpers against garbage teams he hasn’t been that great (I’ll provide real analysis after 6 b10 games). He can rebound but I don’t really care about that in a shooter. He can easily be replaced with a better / more consistent shooter

- Henley: hasn’t provided anything that should show you hope for the future (probably recruited on Evans angle)

- JOJ: I think there is hope for him. Good body and motor. Willing to get in and bang / attack anyone. Needs to learn how to finish and pass, but that will come. Probably a top 3 piece as a junior. Also most athletic on team

(FUTURE RECRUITS)
Evans: clearly hope as a defensive anchor but big skinny guys are always a project on offense, especially in the b10…not sure what level of hs ball he plays as isn’t he in the same league that Henley was in, and Henley dominated? Even if raw offensively, he should be an immediate impact player on defense

Christie: hopefully his shooting is hot, but he doesn’t seem ultra fluid / quick so he seems like Carrington (just maybe slightly taller). Will be interesting to see how CBJ juggles those minutes as they seem to play the same position.

Betts: haven’t seen any footage so no opinion yet. But odd that if he is a guard and he can’t crack this roster with decent minutes that’s scary

Last edited:

That’s a tough strategy that may never play out. Relying on freshmen to develop with an unproven coach is a very risky bet. Let’s string this out and say all freshmen have to stay four years (which we all know is not true in basketball with transfer portal + there is a thing called recruiting flops as well):

- carrington: outside of a few open jumpers against garbage teams he hasn’t been that great (I’ll provide real analysis after 6 b10 games). He can rebound but I don’t really care about that in a defender. He can easily be replaced with a better / more consistent shooter

- Henley: hasn’t provided anything that should show you hope for the future (probably recruited on Evans angle)

- JOJ: I think there is hope for him. Good body and motor. Willing to get in and bang / attack anyone. Needs to learn how to finish and pass, but that will come. Probably a top 3 piece as a junior. Also most athletic on team

(FUTURE RECRUITS)
Evans: clearly hope as a defensive anchor but big skinny guys are always a project on offense, especially in the b10…not sure what level of hs ball he plays as isn’t he in the same league that Henley was in, and Henley dominated? Even if raw offensively, he should be an immediate impact player on defense

Christie: hopefully his shooting is hot, but he doesn’t seem ultra fluid / quick so he seems like Carrington (just maybe slightly taller). Will be interesting to see how CBJ juggles those minutes as they seem to play the same position.

Betts: haven’t seen any footage so no opinion yet. But odd that if he is a guard and he can’t crack this roster with decent minutes that’s scary

Betts isn't a guard. Unless Ben is going to try and make another 6'8" forward a guard.

I was one who complained that he held the ball for all but 5 seconds and then try to be a one man team...but I faulted the coaching.

I was one who complained that he held the ball for all but 5 seconds and then try to be a one man team...but I faulted the coaching.
As did I. I assumed it was Pitino having no game plan for each opponent. Now I see what having no game plan really looks like.

- carrington: outside of a few open jumpers against garbage teams he hasn’t been that great (I’ll provide real analysis after 6 b10 games). He can rebound but I don’t really care about that in a shooter. He can easily be replaced with a better / more consistent shooter

(FUTURE RECRUITS)

Christie dropped 28 points the other night at a big Chicago holiday tournament. Report is he's smooth and he lets the game come to him rather than force shots. Solid defender and doesn't have an obvious weakness. I look forward to seeing him play for the Gophers next year.

Top Bottom