Anything positive you can think of?

Am I the only one struggling to see what Carrington will ever bring to the table? He is a worse version of Gabe. He was that even in high school
I want to know who votes on Mr Basketball. I watched him play @ Edina last year and you walk away think this guy is supposedly in the running for Mr Basketball…huh. He did nothing special in HS.

Park Center is a unique program that most likely hides many flaws of HS basketball players who go on to programs at the next level. They had and still have (this year’s team) such better athletes that they can just run and gun and out athlete you. They don’t have great skills, but they are bigger and faster than all the schools they will play. A team may have one or two good players to compete against park center, but they throw waves at you…

In this style of play, carrington’s lack of ability was hidden…yet he put up decent numbers on a title team.

I want to know who votes on Mr Basketball. I watched him play @ Edina last year and you walk away think this guy is supposedly in the running for Mr Basketball…huh. He did nothing special in HS.

Park Center is a unique program that most likely hides many flaws of HS basketball players who go on to programs at the next level. They had and still have (this year’s team) such better athletes that they can just run and gun and out athlete you. They don’t have great skills, but they are bigger and faster than all the schools they will play. A team may have one or two good players to compete against park center, but they throw waves at you…

In this style of play, carrington’s lack of ability was hidden…yet he put up decent numbers on a title team.
It’s a wet blanket take, I understand the bit, it just gets a little boring.

By the end of year two he could beat you in so many ways. He simply and efficiently took whatever the defense gave him.
I believe that Payne will do the same. Oturu's first year he was 10.8 pts, 7 rbs shot 55% 61% FTs and shot 2 three pointers all year. The next year he was 20 and 11 and shot 52 three pointers at a 36% clip. Nobody thought he could shoot his first year- all of his action was at the bucket and he shot 55%. Payne will finish the year with similar numbers but right now he is shooting 70%...only 45% from the line (yipes). If he wants a pro career he will have to shoot from outside and you can bet he will work heavily on it!

I believe that Payne will do the same. Oturu's first year he was 10.8 pts, 7 rbs shot 55% 61% FTs and shot 2 three pointers all year. The next year he was 20 and 11 and shot 52 three pointers at a 36% clip. Nobody thought he could shoot his first year- all of his action was at the bucket and he shot 55%. Payne will finish the year with similar numbers but right now he is shooting 70%...only 45% from the line (yipes). If he wants a pro career he will have to shoot from outside and you can bet he will work heavily on it!
Would love to see it

This thread needed a bump and I have a positive to add.
Braeden Carrington played a really active game yesterday. That is my favorite part of Ola-Joseph's game too. Activity, hustle, effort-- things like that eventually lead to good basketball and seeing Braeden go take a couple of offensive rebounds away from other players brings some hope for the future.
When the youth movement figures out that playing hard is a skill, their talent will start to show out, and a couple of them look like they are starting to get it.

Braeden Carrington played a really active game yesterday. That is my favorite part of Ola-Joseph's game too. Activity, hustle, effort-- things like that eventually lead to good basketball and seeing Braeden go take a couple of offensive rebounds away from other players brings some hope for the future.
When the youth movement figures out that playing hard is a skill, their talent will start to show out, and a couple of them look like they are starting to get it.
Agreed. I’m seeing growth in the freshmen and I see better effort than at the beginning of the season. I hope it’s enough to show some hope for the future in the conference season.

Another note is that a friend who’s on the road is lot was at the game yesterday and said from the early games he saw until now he noticed that they have abandoned the one on one and aren’t dribbling all over the place.

Yep, Carrington needs to start. His activity on the boards is very valuable to this team right now.

Yep, Carrington needs to start. His activity on the boards is very valuable to this team right now.
I agree he should start, but due to major roster construction issues I don't know if it would benefit the team... so the starters would be Cooper and Carrington at both guard spots....without Carrington coming in as a sub (as he has been doing) who the heck do the gophers put in as a guard to create a spark of energy / provide a scoring punch off the bench...and don't answer Henley or Samuels....?

In the long run, while his ability to rebound is cool, I could actually couldn't care less about it. As a shooting guard you have to be elite at 1 thing, hitting open shots...this is what the Gophers need him to do. If he continues to pick up the shooting it will be great...but if he falls back to his early shooting percentages (but rebounds well)....that is a recipe for disaster... SGs are counted on to hit the shot...that is all. PG can miss shots as they can fill the stats up with assists...etc, Big men are the same way, but at the end of the day, a shooter can't go 3/9 or 4/13 --> they are there to do 1 thing and 1 thing only, hit the shots.

I agree he should start, but due to major roster construction issues I don't know if it would benefit the team... so the starters would be Cooper and Carrington at both guard spots....without Carrington coming in as a sub (as he has been doing) who the heck do the gophers put in as a guard to create a spark of energy / provide a scoring punch off the bench...and don't answer Henley or Samuels....?

In the long run, while his ability to rebound is cool, I could actually couldn't care less about it. As a shooting guard you have to be elite at 1 thing, hitting open shots...this is what the Gophers need him to do. If he continues to pick up the shooting it will be great...but if he falls back to his early shooting percentages (but rebounds well)....that is a recipe for disaster... SGs are counted on to hit the shot...that is all. PG can miss shots as they can fill the stats up with assists...etc, Big men are the same way, but at the end of the day, a shooter can't go 3/9 or 4/13 --> they are there to do 1 thing and 1 thing only, hit the shots.
And shooters have to learn to be scorers.
That is…attack the rim, get to the line, get it going. Cannot have a shooter who gets 15 or 22 one night and 4 the next. Figure it out, find a way, be consistent scoring or the team will struggle.
You tell shooters to keep shooting because you believe they will get the fever and make 5 in a row. When they don’t make shots it’s ugly. It’s their role and it’s the one everybody looks to and counts on from them. Probably most important component in winning to any team consistency.

Can I give a friendly amendment? Being able to shoot is a non-negotiable for a SG, agreed, but I would argue that defense is just as important for every position. Playing your best 5 offensive players without regard to defense is a terrible idea.

And, being able to secure a few defensive rebounds is really helpful on that end of the floor.

I like Carrington coming off the bench, but that may not be feasible with this team when they alternative is Samuels. Play Carrington as much as you need at this point, I feel he has earned his way to a starting spot.

It's not as bad as it seems if you look to next season.

Forward is set.

The team MUST get better play from the point guard spot. A good point guard makes everyone else better. Fix this and the team soars. Don't fix that and scr#*$d.

And look at the recruits coming in.

Minnesota Golden Gophers Home

Minnesota Gopher Basketball welcomes three 2023 recruits on National Signing Day​

• by Ryan James
  • Nov 9, 2:27 PM
University of Minnesota men's basketball head coach Ben Johnson has announced that Cameron Christie, Dennis Evans and Erick Reader will join the Golden Gopher program prior to the 2023-24 season. Christie and Evans have signed National Letters of Intent, while Reader is set to join the team as a preferred walk on. In addition, Johnson has announced that freshman Kadyn Betts will redshirt the 2022-23 season and be a part of the 2023-24 freshmen class. The Pueblo, Colo., product reclassified to the 2022 class and joined the program in August.

Christie is a 6-5, 160-pound guard from Arlington Heights, Ill., and Rolling Meadows High School under Kevin Katovich. Christie is ranked as the No. 1 recruit out of Illinois this season and ranked 84th nationally by 247Sports.com. A First-Team IBCA all-state selection, Christie helped Rolling Meadows to a 28-6 overall record and a Mid-Suburban East conference championship. Christie led the team to its first regional title in more than 21 years. As a junior, Christie surpassed 1,000 career points and averaged 22 points at Rolling Meadows. As a junior, Christie also shot 53 percent from the field, was 93 percent at free throw shooter and 42 percent beyond the arc last season. He also averaged 5 rebounds and 3 assists. Christie garnered all-state honors from the Sun Times and Hoops Report, while he was named the conference player of the year and an Under Armour Top 30 list. As a freshman, Christie was an all-area selection and averaged 11 points. Christie also plays with the Illinois Wolves on the Under Armour club basketball circuit with Mike Mullins.

"Cam is a driven, competitive winner and we're excited to see him bring that edge to Minnesota," head coach Ben Johnson said. "He understands what it takes to play at this level and has taken unbelievable strides in his game. He's incredibly driven to be the best player he can be. Cam's a versatile guard that can run an offense at the point. He can dribble, pass and shoot, is athletic and has a high IQ. We're excited to add someone like Cam with his personality, talent, ceiling and his drive to our program."

Evans is a 7-1, 210-pound center hailing from Riverside, Calif. Hillcrest High School under Hugh Wood. Also playing for Team Inland and "Kool-Aid" Perry, Evans is listed as the No. 13 recruit from Rivals.com, the 27th from 247Sports and 28th from PrepHoops.com. With Hillcrest last year, Evans averaged 11 points, 10 rebounds and seven blocks per game as a junior. He led Hillcrest to a River Valley League Championship in 2022. A true rim protector, Evans produced a 16-block performance last year, which set a new state record. Evans also posted 10-block
performances five times last year. He also included a triple-double once last season, his second of his career, the first coming as a sophomore. A standout on the USA Basketball circuit, Evans was also a member of the u17 USA Basketball team that took home gold this past summer in the FIBA championships in Malaga, Spain. He also recently was a part of the USA junior national team training camp this fall.

"Dennis brings a unique talent to Minnesota," Johnson said. "With his size and length, Dennis brings a great defensive presence. He's taken unbelievable strides from last year to now because of his great work ethic. He lives in the gym and has a passion for player development. He's all about the right stuff and a team guy that understands the process. Someone like Dennis, with his talent and upside, he's a defensive game changer. At the same, he creates a unique challenge offensively for opposing teams due to his high skill level and unique game."

Erick Reader is a 6-8, 195-pound forward from Bloomington, Minn., and New Life Academy. As a junior last year, Reader averaged 13.5 points and shot 54.5 from the field. He also averaged 8.8 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1 block and 1 steal per game. With New Life Academy under head coach Robbie Whitney, Reader led the team to the Minnesota State High School League State semifinals last season, and were Skyline champions. A First-Team All-Skyline Conference honoree, Reader holds the school record for rebounds in a game (21) and ranks in the top three in school history for total rebounds in a season at 283. Reader also plays for Grassroots Sizzle and head coach Larry Suggs and Brian Sandifer. A standout student, Reader was also an ACSI Distinguished Christian High School Student Award for leadership and received a Scholar Athlete award for a GPA of 3.5 or higher.

"We're excited to have Erick join our program as a preferred walk on," Johnson said. "Erick will provide some depth to our program, is a local talent with a good skill level that can protect the rim and can score on the block. We're looking forward to working with him next year and watching his continued development."

And shooters have to learn to be scorers.
That is…attack the rim, get to the line, get it going. Cannot have a shooter who gets 15 or 22 one night and 4 the next. Figure it out, find a way, be consistent scoring or the team will struggle.
You tell shooters to keep shooting because you believe they will get the fever and make 5 in a row. When they don’t make shots it’s ugly. It’s their role and it’s the one everybody looks to and counts on from them. Probably most important component in winning to any team consistency.
Could not agree more. He needs to put the ball on the floor and start attacking the hoop. When his shot isn’t falling, get to hoop / foul line and get hot from there

Henley seems like the type of guy who should be able to provide a spark off the bench. I know he isn’t very good now, but the rest of the team sucks too, so I don’t see the harm in giving him that role to learn/improve.

Henley seems like the type of guy who should be able to provide a spark off the bench. I know he isn’t very good now, but the rest of the team sucks too, so I don’t see the harm in giving him that role to learn/improve.
I like Henley when he is aggressive going to the basket as he has good length for a guard and some craftiness as well. He isn't terrible when he gets a good look from 3 either. He just gets himself in trouble when he tries to do too much in between those two areas. I am excited to see him play once he understands exactly what he needs to do to get a good shot off at this level.

Carrington’s ability to rebound is a huge plus for this team. We are a statistically poor defensive rebounding team and he has really helped. Smallish sample size but I say he has a nose for the ball and gets some tough, in traffic boards as well as those missed 3 long caroms. Love to see him 37 or 38% from 3 and blowing by guys to the rim… not there yet and he has room to improve.

I absolutely expect us to be better next year. But, we are probably destined to be 0 and 20
this year. So how good is that? If it's 5 wins next year...that's a long climb. Winning half the Big Ten games next year is entirely dependent on how good Christie is as a freshmen and how good the "new" point guard is. Ben is saying Christie can play the point...so if that's the plan, I dunno.
Tough to learn to play the point under fire in the Big Ten if Christie, Cooper, Ihnen, Henley and Carrington only (without a new point guard) are going to share the task.
Not to mention: are Battle and Garcia back? That's half to two thirds of our points many nights.

I absolutely expect us to be better next year. But, we are probably destined to be 0 and 20
this year. So how good is that? If it's 5 wins next year...that's a long climb. Winning half the Big Ten games next year is entirely dependent on how good Christie is as a freshmen and how good the "new" point guard is. Ben is saying Christie can play the point...so if that's the plan, I dunno.
Tough to learn to play the point under fire in the Big Ten if Christie, Cooper, Ihnen, Henley and Carrington only (without a new point guard) are going to share the task.
Not to mention: are Battle and Garcia back? That's half to two thirds of our points many nights.
Ben is also under the impression ihnen is a SG. I’ve watched Ihnen as a freshman and sophomore, he put up terrible numbers and can barely dribble.

Ben is also under the impression ihnen is a SG. I’ve watched Ihnen as a freshman and sophomore, he put up terrible numbers and can barely dribble.
Ihnen has the most potential of any of our players. Huge question if he is healthy enough and then confident enough to show us what has been hiding. Ben sees him, Ben isn't making it up...will it translate to Big Ten games is the question.

Minnesota projects to win 2-3 Big Ten games. So it's a rough year.

It's going to take two more years to put it together.

Not everything is a disaster just a couple key pieces.

It's like the starter is out on an engine and needs an oil change. Don't total the whole engine. Get the part in places.

Like it or not Ben Johnson is the mechanic for a couple more years.

His recruits are coming in and he gets to put a team together.

So I'm not a person who bets but rarely. I'm taking that as the positive. So, how many times have we covered the spread? How many times will we? And will that tiny number be a Gopher record?

Minnesota projects to win 2-3 Big Ten games. So it's a rough year.

It's going to take two more years to put it together.

Not everything is a disaster just a couple key pieces.

It's like the starter is out on an engine and needs an oil change. Don't total the whole engine. Get the part in places.

Like it or not Ben Johnson is the mechanic for a couple more years.

His recruits are coming in and he gets to put a team together.
I'd like them to win 2 or 3 or 5 but if they do....nobody could predict who it will be against.
Pretty sure we are underdogs 20 straight times. Keep in mind we are as healthy as we can get this season.

I'd like them to win 2 or 3 or 5 but if they do....nobody could predict who it will be against.
Pretty sure we are underdogs 20 straight times. Keep in mind we are as healthy as we can get this season.

Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois.

So I'm not a person who bets but rarely. I'm taking that as the positive. So, how many times have we covered the spread? How many times will we? And will that tiny number be a Gopher record?
I believe they have failed to cover in 7 straight games. Last time they covered was the win against Cal Baptist IIRC.

Covered against VT and Purdue
They didn’t cover against Purdue. I had it at +18.5 and lost by 19 (I had Purdue but same concept). Forgot about VT. They back door covered that one. We’re down 19 with 2 minutes to go and lost by 10.

Results here. Lines vary from place to place—but the only result that would have been different is possibly Purdue.

It’s been over 20 years (I didn’t look back further) since a team went winless in the conference. I would bet this squad isn’t a 0 win team. Too many good players. They’d have to lose all will to play and I don’t see that.

Top Bottom