Anonymous Players and Staff make unsubstantiated allegations

Might as well tell the whole story- Jerry Kill realized his gopher teams were never going to get better so he quit before he could allow sun mediocrity to get him fired and unemployable at the BCS level. Since, everyone is throwing stuff out there.

This thread is about tearing good people down to draw attention to yourself and to make yourself feel good. This comment is right on the point.

Modern day journalism/media summed up perfectly here. Unverified and unnamed sources spewing negativity towards a popular product/person. All because there are too many journalists compared to jobs. These people need to be dealt with sternly.
Yup. All thanks to the internet and social media and the ease for anyone to create an account and start calling themselves a journalist. It's not about news anymore, and accuracy be damned...it's about revenue based off of clicks and sadly this shit is making money for a lot of hacks.

and Pat Reusse checks in with a tweet questioning the journalistic quality of the piece.
https://twitter.com/Patrick_Reusse
Patrick Reusse
@Patrick_Reusse
I’d put more stock in “Fleck Is mean” report from Front Office Sports, but I didn’t see any names from accusers — only “a player.” NW student newspaper had names attached to “some” of Fitzgerald accusations. (Note: This opinion not coming from certified Fleck ass kisser.)

and Pat Reusse checks in with a tweet questioning the journalistic quality of the piece.
https://twitter.com/Patrick_Reusse
Patrick Reusse
@Patrick_Reusse
I’d put more stock in “Fleck Is mean” report from Front Office Sports, but I didn’t see any names from accusers — only “a player.” NW student newspaper had names attached to “some” of Fitzgerald accusations. (Note: This opinion not coming from certified Fleck ass kisser.)
I agree about the names part. When we get lots of names (not the usual suspects who refused to go into a game and threw a fit) and lawsuits and so on ... I'll buy into it more.

Otherwise all I see are insinuations so far.

Sounds like some kids that just weren’t cut out for the jump from high school to major college athletics. Complaints of strenuous workouts as punishment? Isn’t that like one of the most common and widely accepted punishments out there? Note that they didn’t say dangerous or life threatening, just strenuous 😂

Even if the idea of a "Fleck Bank" with literal coins is pretty corny (and we already knew PJ's a sucker for these kind of things) this seems like fairly standard management fare.

A basic system of punishments and rewards, tracking accomplishments and balancing those against mistakes or areas for development sound like staples of life in grade school, high school, college, corporate America, and so on.

Only the drug test nugget is mildly eye-raising, and 90%+ of those were probably for a drug the state just legalized.

We should all be so lucky to have a manager who tries to apply some sort of tracking and quantification to performance, rather than making decisions capriciously based primarily on player talent.

Post NW younger journalists are going to hitch themselves to this wagon, not that disimlar Todd Hoffner getting wrongly accused in the Paterno cover up era.

Last edited:

Guess this is inevitable when instilling a "new culture."

Cue up Coach Kill I guess...

Kept anonymous to prevent retaliation? If they’re former there isn’t much of a possibility of retaliation. They’re anonymous because it’s a load of bs.
Anytime you're speaking anonymously you're a coward. Anytime you plead the fifth. You're guilty.

"Cause the players are gonna play, play, play, play, play and the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate." - Taylor Swift

Players that can't cut it as players for the Gophers think it must be all PJ. Flecks' and his Staff's fault. Who do you favor - Val Martin who thinks he is entitled to be a starter, or Blake Cashman who worked his butt off and ended up being drafted into the NFL?

Last edited:

I would bet pretty much anything that one of their anonymous sources is Val Martin since he definitely had an axe to grind over how he feels he was treated here.

Glad to see players and families coming out and blasting this story for the nothing burger that it is. The complaint about using exercise as punishment is laughable......good lord.....if that isn't ok what is?

Coach Winston's comment is probably the most powerful though. He played in the program during the time discussed and chose to come back. He didn't have to and if the culture was so "toxic" there is no way he would have.

The support of people out there is great and in a perfect world this clown would be run out of the journalism world, but we all know he is already at work finding a couple of disgruntled players(or perhaps just making up stuff and claiming the sources wished to remain anonymous) from some other program. Any other program actually and seeing if it will stick.

The only indicators of the program that matter is that the good/great players continue to stay, sometimes longer than they even need to. The players who have left have transferred to lesser programs, or are done playing football, and have accomplished very little.

The only exception is Bucky, but his reasons were financial, and it's hard to blame him for that.

"Cause the players are gonna play, play, play, play, play and the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate." - Taylor Swift

Players that can't cut it as players for the Gophers think it must be all PJ. Flecks' and his Staff's fault. Who do you favor - Val Martin who thinks he is entitled to be a starter, or Blake Cashman who worked his butt off and ended up being drafted into the NFL?

Is PJ a little odd? I think so, but then again, I think most P5 head coaches are odd to some extent. (I desperately wanted Mike Leach here when we hired Kill.). I know some people who are very close to the program and the Flecks and I don't believe a word of this. This whole thing reeks of sour grapes from guys who couldn't buy into the culture of the program.

Top Bottom