Anonymous Players and Staff make unsubstantiated allegations

Only the drug test nugget is mildly eye-raising, and 90%+ of those were probably for a drug the state just legalized.
Not really. I know a guy who played for the U in the 90's. If you tested positive for weed, but were doing everything else you were supposed to, it was basically just "hey, stop doing that."

We have had several guys stay and play for 6 and 7 years. Very sad PJ has to listen to this.
Each year there are at least 110 players involved in the program. For some it's too hard, too much work, they aren't good enough to compete at this level....what is the easiest thing to do? Blame somebody else.
There is a lot about coaching that makes it thankless.

If there was a lot of truth to the "toxic" claim, I wouldn't necessarily expect to see a lot of current or former players publicly agreeing to the claim. I would expect more silence however. I think it's pretty telling that so many have come out in support of Fleck and the program.

I'll throw out one POV about some of the "cult" stuff.

When I was in college I would NOT have put up with PJ's slogans or such. I would have seen it as BS and weird and so on.

I was probably jaded, dumb (some things don't ever change), and I didn't realize that these "just words" and silly things were meant to spur real thinking and real action, and that maybe the guys who hear them are inspired enough to do those real things that matter. I probably would have used the word "cult" seen all the clapping and such as weird (dude geese ...). Hell I'm still not a rah rah company guy (not going to knock the folks into that thing, but i'll sit quietly and let them do that thing)....

But I now also know that just showing that you care matters to others... those words are meant for YOU to do with them what you want and so on.

So I can see how a disappointed player or etc would really dislike what he sees and very quickly tire of the PJisms. Likely assume some guys doing all those things get favoritism and on and on.

It doesn't suprise me that guys in the program would think / feel some of these negative these things. I might have too...

If there was a lot of truth to the "toxic" claim, I wouldn't necessarily expect to see a lot of current or former players publicly agreeing to the claim. I would expect more silence however. I think it's pretty telling that so many have come out in support of Fleck and the program.
I think some of the support comes from players who saw some other players leave the program and talk badly about it .... they also knew who that guy was / his attitude and so on.

I don't know if it is always the case, but from at least one named guy it sure as hell was.

They do. And I agree, in Fleck and this Program We Trust.

Go Fleck!!
Ditto. This is the highest performing, most enjoyable football I've seen from this program in my lifetime. Win or loss, I love this team and appreciate every player who chooses to play here, and the staff who has put them in the position to make this happen. Ski U Mah bitches!

Fleck's official B1G Media Days presser at 10:30 Thursday morning. I assume he'll also do a sit-down with the BTN team at some point during the day.

Val Martin stuff without putting a name to it. Players who don’t buy into the culture and are upset they aren’t handed the same treatment of players who buy in.

Seems like he's the top suspect for idiot number one from this article.

Maybe I'm naive, but how do you even get away with a positive drug test?

I assume there are measures in place to prevent tampering!

+1MIL for use of woke! Some might easily identify and cast aside a person using it but the creativity and passion for liberty and freedom are there. 👏
"Woke" for many simply means casting a side-eye on any group that didn't traditionally have their voice heard decades or centuries ago trying to be heard, and for some, devising a political or social strategy to silence that voice.

Liberty and freedom here only mean liberty and freedom for those "traditional" voices to not have to hear the others speak. In 2023 it's "Florida-style Freedom", defined primarily by bans targeting minority voices.

So yeah, young mostly Black men with little money speaking up in a way they didn't years ago constitutes "woke". Whether or not there's actually issues in the program's culture (I tend to think it's OK), guys are more comfortable talking than they once were.

"Woke" for many simply means casting a side-eye on any group that didn't traditionally have their voice heard decades or centuries ago trying to be heard, and for some, devising a political or social strategy to silence that voice.

Liberty and freedom here only mean liberty and freedom for those "traditional" voices to not have to hear the others speak. In 2023 it's "Florida-style Freedom", defined primarily by bans targeting minority voices.

So yeah, young mostly Black men with little money speaking up in a way they didn't years ago constitutes "woke". Whether or not there's actually issues in the program's culture (I tend to think it's OK), guys are more comfortable talking than they once were.
You sound woke! Did I trigger you? I don't dig any deeper than freedom and knocking out corporate liberalization, anything beyond that is a complicated and nuanced thought exercise I am not wasting my limited brain cells on.

Top Bottom