Anonymous Players and Staff make unsubstantiated allegations

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per A.J.

P.J. Fleck’s arrival at the University of Minnesota drew national media attention to Golden Gophers football, fueled by the young head coach’s seemingly boundless energy, love of mantras, and success at Western Michigan.

“We have a certain culture, and people want to know about that culture just like any successful business out there — people want to know, how did you do that? What’s your story?” Fleck said in the first episode of a four-part ESPNU series chronicling his first season at Minnesota in 2017.

Over the last month, Front Office Sports interviewed several former players and staff members about Fleck’s six seasons as the Gophers’ head coach. They described an environment fraught with intimidation and toxicity and referenced the “Fleck Bank” — a system that allowed players with enough “coins” to get away with positive drug tests, and other violations of team rules.

The Fleck Bank tracked community service — including visiting patients at the University of Minnesota Medical Center with Fleck — and was a way to keep tabs on players’ studying habits, multiple former players said. Two former players said those who provided information on other players were given Fleck Bank credits.

Unprompted, the term “cult” was used by multiple former players and former staff members to describe Fleck’s “Row the Boat” culture spelled out in the so-called “Fleck Book” that players are given when they join the team. Fleck said he developed the “Row the Boat” philosophy — one he laid out in a 2021 book of the same name — that was an approach he also used at Western Michigan.

The former players and staff members were granted anonymity by FOS over fears of retaliation since they remain in the sports in some form. The players — some of whom were starters — were all under scholarship, and they played for Fleck from the 2017 through 2021.

Athletic director Mark Coyle defended Fleck in a statement to FOS.

“P.J. and our program are unique,” Coyle said. “They put themselves out there in new and different ways — but always in a first-class manner — and after nearly seven years, it is clear to me, that is what makes P.J. and our program so successful.

“I always encourage all of our student-athletes, including every member of our football team, to reach out to me directly if they encounter any issues. To date, I have not heard from a single football student-athlete about the allegations raised.”

Much more details here:

Go Gophers!!

Former Players, Staff Reveal Troubling Allegations of Toxic Culture Under P.J. Fleck

No, they don't. They just loosely used the term "cult" and also the vague term "fraught with intimidation and toxicity" without elaborating further, even though they are anonymous.

What are the odds Front Office Sports just sent out a general mailer to every former college athlete asking if there were "problems" and then used some generic responses to drum up a nothing-burger of an article? I'd say pretty high, lol.

Over the last month, Front Office Sports interviewed several former players and staff members about Fleck’s six seasons as the Gophers’ head coach. They described an environment fraught with intimidation and toxicity and referenced the “Fleck Bank” — a system that allowed players with enough “coins” to get away with positive drug tests, and other violations of team rules.

The Fleck Bank tracked community service — including visiting patients at the University of Minnesota Medical Center with Fleck — and was a way to keep tabs on players’ studying habits, multiple former players said. Two former players said those who provided information on other players were given Fleck Bank credits.
We've heard other complaints before (the WCCO Liz Collins hit-piece) but this is a new one:
Rat out enough teammates on bad study habits and you can get away with PEDs "street drugs"?

(Updated after reading the whole article, which is a bit hard to follow and not written very well)

Last edited:

This is what, at least the third time this turd of a “story” has been reheated? Guaranteed 90% of the info given to this author came from the same former University employee gunning for fleck. Can’t remember his name right now.

This is what, at least the third time this turd of a “story” has been reheated? Guaranteed 90% of the info given to this author came from the same former University employee gunning for fleck. Can’t remember his name right now.
Michael Hsu? He's quoted in there a lot, and you can tell he's just dying to find something to bring the program down.

The quotes from Coney Durr blow a big hole in the crap coming from the other side.

B*tching about having to say you're "elite"??? Get over it francis.

Per A.J.

P.J. Fleck’s arrival at the University of Minnesota drew national media attention to Golden Gophers football, fueled by the young head coach’s seemingly boundless energy, love of mantras, and success at Western Michigan.

“We have a certain culture, and people want to know about that culture just like any successful business out there — people want to know, how did you do that? What’s your story?” Fleck said in the first episode of a four-part ESPNU series chronicling his first season at Minnesota in 2017.

Unprompted, the term “cult” was used by multiple former players and former staff members to describe Fleck’s “Row the Boat” culture spelled out in the so-called “Fleck Book” that players are given when they join the team. Fleck said he developed the “Row the Boat” philosophy — one he laid out in a 2021 book of the same name — that was an approach he also used at Western Michigan.

The former players and staff members were granted anonymity by FOS over fears of retaliation since they remain in the sports in some form. The players — some of whom were starters — were all under scholarship, and they played for Fleck from the 2017 through 2021.

Athletic director Mark Coyle defended Fleck in a statement to FOS.

“P.J. and our program are unique,” Coyle said. “They put themselves out there in new and different ways — but always in a first-class manner — and after nearly seven years, it is clear to me, that is what makes P.J. and our program so successful.

“I always encourage all of our student-athletes, including every member of our football team, to reach out to me directly if they encounter any issues. To date, I have not heard from a single football student-athlete about the allegations raised.”

Much more details here:

Go Gophers!!

Front Office Sports? Never heard of them.

Michael Hsu? He's quoted in there a lot, and you can tell he's just dying to find something to bring the program down.

The quotes from Coney Durr blow a big hole in the crap coming from the other side.

B*tching about having to say you're "elite"??? Get over it francis.
Not him, looked it up and it’s Jason Stahl. He started a substack just to attack PJ.

The website's VP of audience and analytics is a UNC grad, 4d chess distraction!!! 🤣

Seriously that article read like, "Coach takes atypical approach to traditional coaching methods, finds success, those who didn't like it or didn't have the willingness or ability to succeed have sour grapes."

the timing of this story - coming out during B1G Media Days - seems calculated to draw the most possible attention.

on the surface, some of this stuff just sounds goofy - the "Fleck Book" and "Fleck Bank." or the idea that players could 'buy' their way out of consequences for a positive drug test.

FWIW - I am not a big fan of all the acronyms - but the player who had trouble understanding the meaning of "F.A.M.I.L.Y" strikes me as a bit much.

if the authors were hoping for a Northwestern-level scandal, I think they missed the mark. some of the allegations - if proven to be true - are not great, but nothing that's going to get a coach fired.

Still don't need it. Not a good look for the program no matter the the degree of fiction.
Unsubstantiated claims are insignificant no matter where they come from. Especially when it's from a single source. I'm sure more reputable sources will come dig around and this won't gain any traction. I'll become concerned when we're presented with qualitative data that proves there's something bad going on.

Unnamed sources making unverified claims - yep, that sounds really legit...

.... I am hoping I can buy some Fleck Coins though. I'd like a Golden coin with Fleck's picture on the front and a "Row the Boat" slogan on the back.

1690396849240.png

Mao had his Little Red Book of his sayings that were required reading by the population of China.
Fleck has his "FleckBook" which seems to be required reading by the team.
Is that where the similarity ends?
If there were fire under the smoke it would have been evident by now in his recruiting and transfers out.

I worked for Hsu for four (4) years and he's a very intelligent man. There is no doubt he would prefer less funding to the Athletic Department with more going to academia but he's a Golden Gopher through and through. I doubt he's the source of any negativity.

the timing of this story - coming out during B1G Media Days - seems calculated to draw the most possible attention.

on the surface, some of this stuff just sounds goofy - the "Fleck Book" and "Fleck Bank." or the idea that players could 'buy' their way out of consequences for a positive drug test.

FWIW - I am not a big fan of all the acronyms - but the player who had trouble understanding the meaning of "F.A.M.I.L.Y" strikes me as a bit much.

if the authors were hoping for a Northwestern-level scandal, I think they missed the mark. some of the allegations - if proven to be true - are not great, but nothing that's going to get a coach fired.
F. A. M. I. L. Y. Is so popular of a concept that tons of high school programs across the Midwest have adopted it. It's a way to get buy in and get people to stop thinking of only themselves.

Top Bottom