Anonymous Players and Staff make unsubstantiated allegations

As best as I can piece together, there are 11 former players who are referenced in the reporter’s piece; I did not see where former staffers spoke to the reporter directly, instead it seems to be gleaned from the external report completed in 2018 due to a staffer’s concern about medical treatment.

Of the 11 players, only Coney Durr is on the record and his responses come off as genuine and balanced.

The great majority of the allegations seem to be brought by Player #1, who is quite expressive about his displeasure with how his mental health needs were addressed. He also referenced a player who was “kind of run of the program” because he was forced to retire after collapsing during a workout due to a previously undetected heart condition, which…that’s viewed as a bad thing?

The other players cited in the article seem mostly to be carryovers from the Kill/Claeys roster and not surprisingly, they were among those who did not buy into the culture of a coach they had not chosen to play for when committing to university.

The report of irregular discipline or favoritism for positive drug tests—could possibly be true. However, any one that has made a career working with HS/college aged students knows that wild speculation as to the meting out of justice is pretty common (particularly since discipline/consequences are not typically shared) and I see shades of that here from the anonymous sources.

From the subheading “Are You Sure You Are Hurt?” onward, I really didn’t find anything directly attributed to Fleck, with specific mention of one incident from the report of grueling workouts ascribed to the previous regime, not Fleck (the report released in 2018 could hardly have included much in the way of a critique of the football team under present management). The last section of the article refers to allegations/history having nothing to do with Fleck.

Hsu is quoted prominently in the article and it’s evident that a) he doesn’t like Fleck, and b) he brings nothing current to the conversation.

In my summary, I am not saying there’s nothing untoward or concerning happening in the program-anyone who follows sports, specifically college sports as a fan should no better than to make such a declarative statement. However, this report does very little to make me concerned. As mentioned previously, it’s poorly organized and difficult to determine what concerns are current. It also seems this was a fishing expedition by a reporter not embedded in MN or near the program and he found several players/staff from the previous regime who were either loyal toKill/Claeys or not buying into Fleck’s culture or both and rehashed a story that Gopher fans have been hearing for six years running.

What did Durr say exactly?

Home with toddler and 10 day old. Tough to
Read much

I agree with everyone else who feels the article lacks any sort of substance. Coyle has already made a statement:
I think it would be beneficial for Coyle to offer up what sort of existing oversight exists for the program and/or to review the allegations about the drug tests. But it seems likely the athletic department had the article in advance for comment and believes there is so little substance that any further action would legitimize the claims.

What did Durr say exactly?

Home with toddler and 10 day old. Tough to
Read much
“It’s not for everybody,” said Durr, who — between an injury redshirt and the extra year of eligibility due to the pandemic — was at Minnesota for six seasons, five under Fleck. “You have to be ready to go through that. It’s a program, and over time you get acclimated to what’s going on. There is a lot of terminology he uses that is a little different. It can be like a foreign language.

“It’s not some program where you’re just gonna come in, clock in your hours, work out, practice and go home. It’s gonna be a little more. There are a little more requirements, and a little more effort not only on the field, but off the field.”

“In the game of college football, some dirty ass s–t goes on,” said Durr, who was on the team at the time of the WCCO report and started 42 games for Fleck. “It’s a lot of work. I talked to so many guys in different schools, and they do their best to go by the book and there’s no bulls–t there either.

“We always did things by the book. I was on a leadership council and I was a captain. It’s a great program and I highly recommend it to people who want to improve their life — on and off the field.”

Every football program that has upwards of 200 players, staff, family etc.. is gonna have some folks that are gonna not like the experience they had or the "culture" there. I don't usually pay much attention to stuff like this. It is usually just ammunition for people that didn't much like the coach before.

Coney Durr, you can tell gets it. Being part of something requires something from you. Not everything in this world is meant to change and adapt to your needs. Being part of a team or program often means having to do things different than how you want or not getting your way. To some people that may make the experience "toxic" but to most it means growing and being better working to a group goal.

Last edited:

and you will be shocked to hear that Husker fans are re-tweeting the story.

So - does Fleck address this head-on at his B1G Media Days session on Thursday, or wait for a reporter to bring it up? because you can bet that someone will bring it up.

So - does Fleck address this head-on at his B1G Media Days session on Thursday, or wait for a reporter to bring it up? because you can bet that someone will bring it up.
At the same time wishing that he were their head coach.

If you visit the hospital you can get away with a positive drug test.

More like, If you do your job and meet all expectations.

Seems like a good way to get rid of the problem players.

Husker fans are re-tweeting because they do not like losing to the Gophers! They dislike PJ Fleck because he and the Gophers are better and beat them on a regular basis. Suck on those losses CornHuskers!

Might as well tell the whole story- Jerry Kill realized his gopher teams were never going to get better so he quit before he could allow sun mediocrity to get him fired and unemployable at the BCS level. Since, everyone is throwing stuff out there.

What was shared in this piece seemed to be really grasping at straws. This is maybe the best example:
"The third player said that one acronym stood out: F.A.M.I.L.Y., short for “Forget About Me, I Love You.”

“He was making us say, forget about yourself as an individual,” the player said. “I was baffled because it’s not anything logical. If you forget about yourself, then who are you?”"

It's a simple way for Fleck to say, "be selfless and care about your teammates." Not hard to figure out and certainly not a toxic message. Like, is that the best you've got?

What was shared in this piece seemed to be really grasping at straws. This is maybe the best example:
"The third player said that one acronym stood out: F.A.M.I.L.Y., short for “Forget About Me, I Love You.”

“He was making us say, forget about yourself as an individual,” the player said. “I was baffled because it’s not anything logical. If you forget about yourself, then who are you?”"

It's a simple way for Fleck to say, "be selfless and care about your teammates." Not hard to figure out and certainly not a toxic message. Like, is that the best you've got?
That player is baffled by a coach that talks about teamwork? That's a you problem, buddy.

Top Bottom