Andre Hollins- Exceeding Expectations

HOOP DREAMS

Reaction score
Hollins > Welch

GW = Wrong again just like with the Trevor "Uh Oh"

GW did some research on freshman Big Ten pg's & why we shouldn't expect Andre to play at a high level. Lets see how they stacked up now that the season is coming to an end.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/113184?referrer_id=388419

For months, the expectations have been steadily high for Minnesota freshman combo guard Dre Hollins. Contrary to the majority of the media and fan base, I’ve always believed that incoming junior Julian Welch would be the best point guard option for the Gophers in 2011-12 and continue to believe so. Over time, both the majority of the media and fans have gradually drifted toward accepting the idea of Welch as a possibility to begin the year at point guard, even though he is still is a relatively unknown quantity.

However, the expectations of Andre continue to be high and with Welch still affected somewhat by a tender ankle, the youngster from Tennessee may very well start in Friday’s opener against a good Bucknell team.

Regardless of who starts, Hollins has the opportunity to earn a lot of minutes this year. What are reasonable expectations to place on this young man who had 8 assists and no turnovers in the team's first exhibition game? As some like to point out, he is a "top 100 recruit" that scored 46 against Findlay Prep and was the 2011 Class AAA Mr. Basketball in Tennessee. Then again, he wasn't really a top 100 recruit under most definitions (not in the RSCI top 100, or Scout top 100, but #110 Rivals and #79 ESPN) and being Mr. Basketball doesn't assure success in Division I basketball (see TN '09 Mr. Basketball Drew Kelly, who in one game scored 67 points on 26/33 shooting his senior year of high school, but did nothing at Miami (OH) and has done little at Morehead State).

Just how good Hollins' career at Minnesota can be is debatable, but Gopher fans should be glad that he is at the ‘U’. He’s a good ball player. Dre hasn't played a ton at the point guard position, but he's smart and a hard worker, both of which should help him. In addition, it's likely he'll see some of his floor time playing off the ball. If the Gophers were really going to be the running and pressing team that is currently being advertised, his adjustment to the speed of the college game would be even more difficult, but in reality the team's pace of play will only be a little faster than a year ago and will be a far cry from a "run and gun" style. The biggest problem facing Andre Hollins as a point guard is that he is in his first year of college. As Al McGuire said, “the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores”.

A freshman guard that adds significant value to his team is rare. (As a side note, first year JUCO players are rarely studs either.) A good year for Dre would be one in which he plays good perimeter defense, is average when shooting the ball and has an assist rate that is higher than his turnover rate. An inconsistent guard who averages 6 points per game, is a mediocre shooter and turns the ball over at a higher-than-average rate may not live up to the expectations of some followers of the Gophers, but that type of a performance is in line with what I’m looking for.

Some players are incredible from day one, but they are the exception. Even most highly sought after recruits usually show a fraction of their eventual selves in their first year. Listed below are certain statistics for a number of recent Big Ten point guards. These figures illustrate the progression over the players' careers, but also just how mediocre (or relatively poor) some very good players were in their first year.

Notes: The recruiting rankings don't mean a lot to me, but are included for the reader. Figures for ORtg (offensive rating), Poss% (possessions used), eFG% (effective field goal percentage), Ast (assist rate) and TO (turnover rate) were obtained from kenpom.com

Talor Battle, Penn State (N/A RSCI; #92 ESPN, #131 Rivals)
Year MPG PPG ORtg Poss% eFG% Ast TO
SR 38.1 20.2 111.9 28.5 52.3 19.8 12.0
JR 37.0 18.5 106.5 29.0 49.8 28.0 13.7
SO 37.4 16.7 109.9 27.0 49.5 29.6 15.4
FR 30.2 10.2 93.6 23.2 42.3 22.7 20.1

Demetri McCamey, Illinois (#71 RSCI)
SR 33.4 14.6 110.7 25.3 55.3 35.9 20.8
JR 34.5 15.1 105.7 26.8 52.0 40.8 21.9
SO 30.6 11.5 99.1 24.6 49.3 30.5 20.4
FR 27.3 8.2 91.1 22.3 45.5 26.0 26.2

Kalin Lucas, Michigan State (#34 RSCI)
SR 33.4 17.0 105.8 26.9 48.7 23.7 17.1
JR 31.1 14.8 110.1 25.4 50.1 25.8 18.4
SO 31.9 14.7 110.4 25.4 44.2 29.6 16.2
FR 25.1 10.3 103.4 25.3 46.3 30.0 19.8

Al Nolen, Minnesota (N/A RSCI)
Year MPG PPG ORtg Poss%
eFG% Ast TO
SR 29.1 8.4 102.4 19.4 39.7 23.4 22.2
JR 25.4 6.7 108.7
18.7 42.9 31.9 19.6
SO 26.5 6.5 100.4 19.1 38.9 31.6 21.1
FR 22.6 4.3 97.0 16.1 41.2 28.3 30.3

Darius Morris, Michigan (N/A RSCI; 77 Rivals; 100 ESPN)
SO 34.8 15.0 108.9 29.3 50.9 44.4 18.4
FR 24.3 4.4 88.7 15.5 43.4 21.6 27.0

Jordan Taylor, Wisconsin (N/A RSCI; 124 Rivals)
JR 36.5 18.1 126.9 27.4 51.7 30.4 8.5
SO 29.5 10.0 110.1 22.3 45.7 25.8 11.8
FR 13.2 1.6 80.9 13.7 29.5 17.2 19.1

Comparing the number Andre Hollins had a great freshman season, factor in mpg and he is right there at the top.

I expceted big things from Andre after watching him play in the HP summer league, he has by far excedded my expectation this past couple weeks in the BTT & NIT.

Some good quote from bleeds thread: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/mar/27/double-double/

From the season-opening tip, Minnesota coach Tubby Smith put the ball in Andre Hollins' hands. But after 10 games, he suffered an ankle injury that forced him to come off the bench in limited action.

Midway through the Big Ten season, Andre regained his starting position and now sees his confidence peaking. The 91 percent free-throw shooter nailed eight free throws in the final minute to seal the win over MTSU.

"I'm just playing ball," he said. "I just had to revert back to how I was playing in high school, just play sound basketball."

Austin Hollins is the Gophers' do-everything two-guard. At 6-4, his long arms have allowed him to become a lockdown defender who gets deflections and causes turnovers.

Offensively, he is shooting 37 percent from 3-point range. It was his 3-pointer with 13:55 left that snapped a 43-all tie, giving Minnesota the lead for good against MTSU.

"I think I've seen myself mature from my freshman year, and over the course of this year," Austin said. "The game was really fast and it's slowed down quite a bit. I'm just seeing everything and trying to make better decisions while I'm on the floor."

_______

If you are a former/current bb-player you understand there are so many different levels, it's all about the speed of the game and being able to react and interpret it. If he is able to calm down and process the game this early it is a big step.

Austin Hollins is the Gophers' do-everything two-guard. At 6-4, his long arms have allowed him to become a lockdown defender who gets deflections and causes turnovers.

Offensively, he is shooting 37 percent from 3-point range. It was his 3-pointer with 13:55 left that snapped a 43-all tie, giving Minnesota the lead for good against MTSU.

"I think I've seen myself mature from my freshman year, and over the course of this year," Austin said. "The game was really fast and it's slowed down quite a bit. I'm just seeing everything and trying to make better decisions while I'm on the floor."
______

If you are a former/current bb-player you understand there are so many different levels, it's all about the speed of the game and being able to react and interpret it. If he is able to calm down and process the game this early it is a big step.

Young fella, I think you're confusing Austin and Andre with the quote above.

As for the Setting Expectations article, it looks good in hindsight. You can't look at a few stats in a vacuum.

Remember, Andre Hollins averaged 6.7 ppg in the regular season. He has improved, as expected, and is less of a "freshman" at this point. Games 32-36 as a freshman should show improvement from games 1-31. There is no surprise in that -- the only surprise is that the team is playing its 37th game of the year tonight.

Furthermore, it's true that for the year he hasn't added significant value this season as a whole (although in the past several games he certain has). What you need to acknowledge is that his two-point field goal percentage for the year is only 39.8%, his assist rate is just 18.6% and his turnover rate is 25.1% (i.e., the "averages 6 points per game, is a mediocre shooter and turns the ball over at a higher-than-average rate" is about where he's been).

By the way -- for the season:

................. ORtg eFG% Asst% TO% 3FG%
Julian Welch 108.3 58.0% 24.8% 26.1% 45.0% (45 made)
Andre Hollins 100.6 48.9% 18.6% 25.1% 39.1% (43 made)

Also, rebounding, blocks and steals are all similar. Welch and Austin Hollins are the two players who added the most value to this team behind Rodney Williams.

Dre's performance is largely in line with what I expected. He's just taken a big jump now that he's not a wide-eyed freshman anymore. He's had a good, not great, freshman year, but the future looks bright for him. He's had a great past few weeks.

You want to talk about a guard who exceeded my expectations? Dave Sobolewski.

Have to be about the same age as you, and I don't consider that young.

My knees are *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#.

Ha, I'm with you on the knees thing, but I'm not sure what you think my age is - you're kind of strange with how you look at numbers.

Lot's to say, but I'll bite my tongue (for now).

I didn't fact check I was going off of Gopher07's post. But he is averaging 8.5ppg on 20.5mpg, which part are you thinking is Austin.

Also, wow.

Dre Hollins: 8.5 ppg (14.3 ppg over his last 10)
Lockett: 13.0 ppg at ASU
Austin Hollins: 9.1 ppg
Williams: 12.1 ppg (14.7 ppg over his last 10)
Mbakwe: 14.0 ppg in limited action this year
-----
Starters: 65 ppg if you assume Dre and Rodney carry their recent performance into next year and assume no other changes

Welch: 9.9 ppg
Coleman: 5.3 ppg
Walker: 3.7 ppg
Eliason: 2.6 ppg
Ingram: 1.2 ppg
-----
Bench: 23 ppg if you assume no other changes

That is an insane amount of scoring. Now, you'd have to assume that some of these points would go somewhere else and certain players would see declines due to reduced playing time, or having to share the load, so don't go penciling in 88 ppg yet. But the best team in the country in scoring this past year was Iona (83.3 ppg). Me likey :)

Dre's development was slowed by injury and a hot start by Julian Welch. There is no question who has been more valuable to the team in the postseason, but that doesn't erase a slow start.

With that said, two freshman PGs ranked lower than Hollins had terrific debut seasons for their their teams. The idea that a freshman can't contribute at the position is just not true.

Dre's development was slowed by injury and a hot start by Julian Welch. There is no question who has been more valuable to the team in the postseason, but that doesn't erase a slow start.

With that said, two freshman PGs ranked lower than Hollins had terrific debut seasons for their their teams. The idea that a freshman can't contribute at the position is just not true.

Julian was slowed by injury (early on and currently) and has been quite consistent throughout the year. Nonetheless, I think we can all agree that Andre has improved this year and has been playing great basketball lately.

No doubt, freshman can contribute. But, it is true that "some players are incredible from day one, but they are the exception" and "a freshman guard that adds significant value to his team is rare (significant being subjective)".

@HOOP - the "the game was really fast and it's slowed down quite a bit" quote is from Austin vs. Andre. Dang, now you're saying maybe you're a few years younger than me, but not young? Must think I'm crazy old.

Julian was slowed by injury (early on and currently) and has been quite consistent throughout the year. Nonetheless, I think we can all agree that Andre has improved this year and has been playing great basketball lately.

I've been a fan of Julian from the beginning. He's a nice shooting guard, but he's a completely different type of player than Hollins.

"a freshman guard that adds significant value to his team is rare (significant being subjective)".

That's just not true. Looking up and down the Rivals 150 there are a ton of impact freshman guards. Of course impact is subjective, but at this level, it is not that rare.

KFAN's Paul Allen is talking about this exact thread right now.

Go Gophers!!

KFAN's Paul Allen is talking about this exact thread right now.

Go Gophers!!

What did Mr. PA have to say?

14+ average ppg over the last 10 games that is huge. Guess there was no need for GW to lower our expectations for Dre's impressive freshman season.

................. ORtg eFG% Asst% TO% 3FG%
Julian Welch 108.3 58.0% 24.8% 26.1% 45.0% (45 made)
Andre Hollins 100.6 48.9% 18.6% 25.1% 39.1% (43 made)
A little bit more number comparison
PlayerPPMAPMTPMSPMP40A40T40S40
Julain Welch.4.11.09.0415.84.583.681.51
Andre Hollins.42.09.1.0416.73.463.911.73

I'll have more later.

A little bit more number comparison
PlayerPPMAPMTPMSPMP40A40T40S40
Julain Welch.4.11.09.0415.84.583.681.51
Andre Hollins.42.09.1.0416.73.463.911.73

I'll have more later.
This is me adding my more:
PlayerTS%Usage%PERDRtg
Julian Welch62.2%22.2%18.4103.6
Andre Hollins55.9%25.4%15.8102.5
This adds a bit more perspective, and in a way I think we have all seen these shown. Welch has been a consistent shooter. Dre has had games where he took a lot of shots and missed a lot (I think 5/18 or something like that in one of the B1G tourney games). Dre seems to me at least to be used a bit more than Welch, which this shows. Also, I think Welch has been more efficient than Dre, which this shows. Nothing ground breaking here, just more numbers. If I can think of anything else to add, I will.

EDIT:
Found a site that has pretty much everything I was looking for, just harder to find the information so I editted my mistakes. Also added DRtg to go along with GW's ORtg.

Also:
Also, rebounding, blocks and steals are all similar. Welch and Austin Hollins are the two players who added the most value to this team behind Rodney Williams.
This is true, but if you look at WS Dre(2.3) is as far from Welch(2.9) as Welch is from Austin (3.5), so it's not like they are THAT far off.

Sorry - this thread just reinforces my belief that you can manipulate statistics to tell any store you want.

I will go with what my eyes tell me - Dre is currently the best pg option for the Gophers. When Dre was hurt, Julian was likely a better option. Average the whole season and it is a wash. Doesn't change that now the choice is obviously Dre.

Sorry - this thread just reinforces my belief that you can manipulate statistics to tell any store you want.

I will go with what my eyes tell me - Dre is currently the best pg option for the Gophers. When Dre was hurt, Julian was likely a better option. Average the whole season and it is a wash. Doesn't change that now the choice is obviously Dre.
Well, I actually went into this looking for potential stats to support Dre, but season long you won't find stats that say that. However, if you look over the past say, 10 games, then the stats definitely show Dre is the better option. And no, averaging the whole season is not a wash, because Dre's injury effected his play for more than half the season.

This is me adding my more:
PlayerTS%Usage%PERDRtg
Julian Welch62.2%22.2%18.4103.6
Andre Hollins55.9%25.4%15.8102.5
This adds a bit more perspective, and in a way I think we have all seen these shown. Welch has been a consistent shooter. Dre has had games where he took a lot of shots and missed a lot (I think 5/18 or something like that in one of the B1G tourney games). Dre seems to me at least to be used a bit more than Welch, which this shows. Also, I think Welch has been more efficient than Dre, which this shows. Nothing ground breaking here, just more numbers. If I can think of anything else to add, I will.

EDIT:
Found a site that has pretty much everything I was looking for, just harder to find the information so I editted my mistakes. Also added DRtg to go along with GW's ORtg.

Also:

This is true, but if you look at WS Dre(2.3) is as far from Welch(2.9) as Welch is from Austin (3.5), so it's not like they are THAT far off.

When you consider how they performed- also weigh in the factor that Dre played most of his minutes - up until these last 10 games- with the second teamers. That makes it tougher.

When you consider how they performed- also weigh in the factor that Dre played most of his minutes - up until these last 10 games- with the second teamers. That makes it tougher.

Revisionist history and not accurate.

zambam - I appreciate you trying to find metrics that you like and I it sounds like you've found what I've said to be accurate (that is, Welch was more valuable to the team this season)... although Dre has unquestionably playing great now after he's got essentially a season under his belt - this is to be expected).

But, one thing I'd tell you to consider more before grabbing at statistics.. really consider which are meaningful. The "WS" isn't something I look at either... and when you start getting into defense, it's very difficult to measure an individual's impact on defense with great accuracy. It's filled with estimates, whereas you can precisely calculate the offensive value add of a player to his team.

Anyway, my point in that article in the first place was that although Dre Hollins has a promising future, he was a player that we would see improvement from over time, not a guy that comes out of the gate as a total stud.

Revisionist history and not accurate.

zambam - I appreciate you trying to find metrics that you like and I it sounds like you've found what I've said to be accurate (that is, Welch was more valuable to the team this season)... although Dre has unquestionably playing great now after he's got essentially a season under his belt - this is to be expected).

But, one thing I'd tell you to consider more before grabbing at statistics.. really consider which are meaningful. The "WS" isn't something I look at either... and when you start getting into defense, it's very difficult to measure an individual's impact on defense with great accuracy. It's filled with estimates, whereas you can precisely calculate the offensive value add of a player to his team.

Anyway, my point in that article in the first place was that although Dre Hollins has a promising future, he was a player that we would see improvement from over time, not a guy that comes out of the gate as a total stud.
I was more less trying to put more statistics out there for people to choose from to make an argument. But yes, most stats agree with you, even when I averaged Game Score from throughout the season.

I try to not limit myself when I look at statistics so I try to look at as many as possible, that's what I included Win Share and DRtg.

Hollins > Welch No comparison, stud vs. decent backup.

If tonight doesn't settle it I don't know what could. What a stud.

Not even part of the argument: Welch missing those two last free throws, c'mon main.

Hollins > Welch No comparison, stud vs. decent backup.

If tonight doesn't settle it I don't know what could. What a stud.

Not even part of the argument: Welch missing those two last free throws, c'mon main.
The thing is you're talking RIGHT NOW. GW is talking about the whole season.

I have been against him most of the time, but this time he is right. He said throughout the season, not at the very end.

Sure. http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/113184?referrer_id=388419

Where is that quote, cuz I just re-read his original post and didn't see that at all.

All I caught is it was unlikely that Dre would be as good as he actually has become. Kinda like "no chance" for Trevor to get a 6th year.

"A freshman guard that adds significant value to his team is rare" -Do you call this rare GW?

Top Bottom