All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

Starting watching 'Winning Time' now that the full season is out. I'll keep watching....but after two episodes....I'm finding it to be a bit grating. It's overly pulpy and melodramatic. The people being portrayed are caricatures. Entertaining? Sure. But it feels like a lot more style than substance.
Watched the whole series but grating is a good word. It was overly long and drawn out in pretty much every episode. There were parts I liked but they were always overshadowed by the feeling of annoyance during the other times. By the end, I had to finish it, but hated watching it at the same time. I was just happy when it was finally over. It was a relief.

John C. Reilly was, of course, great though.

Watched the whole series but grating is a good word. It was overly long and drawn out in pretty much every episode. There were parts I liked but they were always overshadowed by the feeling of annoyance during the other times. By the end, I had to finish it, but hated watching it at the same time. I was just happy when it was finally over. It was a relief.

I can definitely see how you and stocker came to your conclusions about the show, but I really enjoyed it. It's different, but with the current lack of creativity in Hollywood, we need something different.

I don't see how it could go past a 2nd season though.

There was plenty to like about the series. The acting in particular was solid all around. Reilly is great in almost everything.

But there was an equal amount of eye rolling. Every person was made out to be the most extreme version of themselves. The Jerry West scenes were one note like they hadn't actually written anything for him.

I can definitely see how you and stocker came to your conclusions about the show, but I really enjoyed it. It's different, but with the current lack of creativity in Hollywood, we need something different.

I don't see how it could go past a 2nd season though.

I definitely didn't dislike it. Think I felt that it was more a wasted opportunity than anything. The story itself could have made for an interesting show....but the showrunners felt the need to push the boundaries anyways. Sacrificed a lot on the biographical side to push a dramatized version.

I'm probably being a little too critical. I just have extremely high expectations for HBO shows considering how much great stuff they put out. Like Ope3 posted....Barry is top notch. The third season was incredibly good.

Finished Barry Season 3 and I thought it was just flat out fantastic from the beginning to the finale last night. The last 2 episodes were incredibly dark, with very little humor.

I do not want to spoil it, but I do think it will be difficult going forward. For me such a draw was the comedy aspect with Barry being in the Hollywood acting world. That's just not an option anymore, nor has it been for the last few episodes. The writers though have been adept at morphing the show as it goes along, so I am still up for the ride for at least a Season 4.

Lastly, the finale highlight was Gene Cousineau gave the acting performance of his life, which depended on it. Just hand Henry Winkler the Emmy now.

I'm probably being a little too critical. I just have extremely high expectations for HBO shows considering how much great stuff they put out. Like Ope3 posted....Barry is top notch. The third season was incredibly good.
I find it remarkable at how Season 3 of Barry could arguably be the best one yet. Really rare. I have read they were just a week or so away from starting the filming in March 2020 when COVID hit. They took the extra time to re-write the season (and get a head start on Season 4). It was frustrating to have to wait 3 years since Season 2, but in the end well worth it.

All 5 of the principal actors/characters who have been there since the beginning were phenomenal.

Sarah Goldberg - Sally (look out Joplin)
Anthony Carrigan - NoHo Hank (still provides the best levity but dramatically great too)
Henry Winkler - Gene (quite a 3rd act)
Stephen Root - The Raven (best work yet?)
Bill Hader - Barry (word his he will direct Season 4 start to finish)

There's no drop off from the minor characters either.

I find it remarkable at how Season 3 of Barry could arguably be the best one yet. Really rare. I have read they were just a week or so away from starting the filming in March 2020 when COVID hit. They took the extra time to re-write the season (and get a head start on Season 4). It was frustrating to have to wait 3 years since Season 2, but in the end well worth it.

All 5 of the principal actors/characters who have been there since the beginning were phenomenal.

Sarah Goldberg - Sally (look out Joplin)
Anthony Carrigan - NoHo Hank (still provides the best levity but dramatically great too)
Henry Winkler - Gene (quite a 3rd act)
Stephen Root - The Raven (best work yet?)
Bill Hader - Barry (word his he will direct Season 4 start to finish)

There's no drop off from the minor characters either.

It was very impressive. There was one episode in the middle of the season (fifth or sixth) where they seemed to lean way to far into certain bits....and it kind of threw me. But it got crazy heavy and tense down the stretch. In a good way, of course. The dirtbike chase scene was super cool.

There was plenty to like about the series. The acting in particular was solid all around. Reilly is great in almost everything.

But there was an equal amount of eye rolling. Every person was made out to be the most extreme version of themselves. The Jerry West scenes were one note like they hadn't actually written anything for him.

I definitely didn't dislike it. Think I felt that it was more a wasted opportunity than anything. The story itself could have made for an interesting show....but the showrunners felt the need to push the boundaries anyways. Sacrificed a lot on the biographical side to push a dramatized version.

Jerry West was apparently NOT happy with the portrayal. Said it was not close.

Will Farrell should bury the hatchet with Adam McKay after watching Reilly's portrayal of Dr. Buss.

It was very impressive. There was one episode in the middle of the season (fifth or sixth) where they seemed to lean way to far into certain bits....and it kind of threw me. But it got crazy heavy and tense down the stretch. In a good way, of course. The dirtbike chase scene was super cool.
There's a 5 minute featurette available on On Demand/HBOGO about how they orchestrated the chase scene. Pretty cool if you have not checked it out already.

Jerry West was apparently NOT happy with the portrayal. Said it was not close.

Yeah, I heard that too. Made him out to be a miserable prick. And maybe he was. But nothing about his character was interesting in this show. Just a bit.

Will Farrell should bury the hatchet with Adam McKay after watching Reilly's portrayal of Dr. Buss.

Should. Can't imagine Ferrell playing that part better.

There's a 5 minute featurette available on On Demand/HBOGO about how they orchestrated the chase scene. Pretty cool if you have not checked it out already.

I haven't seen that. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

So, apparently TNT has a new summer series on Mondays - "Rich and Shameless." looks like tabloid-level stuff if you're looking for some cheap entertainment.

This week's episode was on Joe Francis - the guy behind "Girls Gone Wild." the show made him out to be a miserable human being. Had girls making rape allegations. Also showed that his parents had to take out restraining orders against him due to stated fears of violence.

Francis was accused of assaulting a woman in LA, so he fled to Mexico and still lives there. His live-in girlfriend and mother of his two children recently filed a restraining order against him after he allegedly beat her up pretty badly.

and, next week's episode is going to be about Pam and Tommy and the sex tape. that should be some wholesome entertainment.

(if you're wondering why I was watching this - was killing time waiting for Twins' game to start....)

Binged watched season 2, 3, 4 of Yellowstone. I would not want to get on the wrong side of Beth. She plays the part so good.
I've watched through season 2. It started feeling the same to me and I stalled out.

Are seasons 3 and 4 worth it? I still have the damn Paramount+ charging me monthly, I need to s__t or get off the pot (and cancel it).

I've watched through season 2. It started feeling the same to me and I stalled out.

Are seasons 3 and 4 worth it? I still have the damn Paramount+ charging me monthly, I need to s__t or get off the pot (and cancel it).
Thought it got better.
I subscribed to Peacock TV for a month to watch it. 5 bucks. Then going to cancel. Not much on there that interests me.
Watched The Northman on it and can’t recall any movie recently that got so progressively bad. Just got worse and worse.

Thought it got better.
I subscribed to Peacock TV for a month to watch it. 5 bucks. Then going to cancel. Not much on there that interests me.
Watched The Northman on it and can’t recall any movie recently that got so progressively bad. Just got worse and worse.
Whoops Peacock is what I meant! I did not know Northman was on Peacock, will have to check that out. Almost went to the theater for that one, guess I'm glad I did not!

Looking forward to “The Old Man” on FX tonight. The previews look good and who doesn’t love Bridges and Lithgow? I hope I’m not disappointed but FX rarely disappoints.
I'm sure he has been in some "meh" movies ... but has Bridges himself ever not added tremendously to the movie??

Can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Lebowski
Crazy Heart
True Grit
Hell or High Water

All great

So many people hope, I'm sure, that somehow a Lebowski sequel is done, before it's too late.

Coen's say they'll never do it.

I'm sure he has been in some "meh" movies ... but has Bridges himself ever not added tremendously to the movie??

Can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Lebowski
Crazy Heart
True Grit
Hell or High Water

All great
All great, as are:

Seabiscuit
The Fabulous Baker Boys
The Last Picture Show

New series coming in November, Tulsa King, starring Sly Stallone.

Sylvester Stallone is making the jump to streaming. Paramount+ has released the first teaser for “Tulsa King,” the new crime drama from “Yellowstone” creator Taylor Sheridan, featuring Stallone in the central role.

Stallone, in the first regular TV role of his career, plays Dwight Manfredi, a New York Mafia head who finally gets out of jail after a 25-year sentence. Upon his release, he’s unceremoniously relocated by his boss to Tulsa, Okla. to establish criminal operations there. Stuck in a new location with zero existing connections and with no support from his Mafia family, Manfredi slowly builds a crew of unlikely allies to establish his own criminal empire.

a little side note -

was watching the History Channel and heard this nugget of information.

During WWI, at any given time, up to 15% of US soldiers were not able to fight because they were being treated for VD, including gonorrhea or syphilis.

the high rate of VD was attributed to the US not wanting to provide condoms for the soldiers.

a little side note -

During WWI, at any given time, up to 15% of US soldiers were not able to fight because they were being treated for VD, including gonorrhea or syphilis.

the high rate of VD was attributed to the US not wanting to provide condoms for the soldiers.
Anal warfare.

a little side note -

They were doing that much banging?

a little side note -

This says a lot about European women.

Looking forward to “The Old Man” on FX tonight. The previews look good and who doesn’t love Bridges and Lithgow? I hope I’m not disappointed but FX rarely disappoints.

FX is extremely consistent with the quality of their shows....so I have little doubt that this will be good. Marked on my watch list for when the entire season is complete. No longer have the desire to have appointment viewing.

I watched the Paramount+ limited series 'The Offer'. Basically told a dramatized version of the making of 'The Godfather' from the standpoint of producer, Albert S. Ruddy. Miles Teller played Ruddy, Dan Foggler as Coppola, Matthew Goode was great as Bob Evans (head of Paramount at the time), and Giovanni Ribisi as Joe Colombo. Also featured Juno Temple (Ted Lasso), Colin Hanks, Lou Ferrigno, and Brun Gorman. So the cast was super strong and the acting was excellent.

Didn't think they needed ten episodes to tell the story. Things got a bit muddled and stretched out with some of the side stories....but overall it was pretty good. Nothing great....but it was an interesting and entertaining look at the hurdles and pitfalls that they had to navigate throughout pre-production and filming.

More importantly....it got me to finally watch 'The Godfather'....which I've had lying around for years and always meant to watch....but never worked up the motivation. Really....with the way the TV has surpassed film over the years....I find myself skipping many movies altogether. But the movie was great. Beautifully filmed. Great acting. Wonderfully written. Really the kind of movie that we simply won't see much of anymore due to the short attention span of people today. Going to watch Part II tonight after work. I'll get around to the final film in the next week or two. I know that it's not nearly as highly regarded.

I ran across a You Tube channel where the host breaks down the screenplays for different movies, explaining the various screenwriting techniques being used.

the episodes on The Godfather - both part I and Part II - were really interesting.

The Godfather is a masterpiece. Part II - I love the "flashback" segments with DeNiro as young Vito. the "modern" segments are not as compelling to me.

Top Bottom