All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

On the History Channel, they have started a new season of "The Food That Built America."

The show covers the history of different food products and restaurant franchises.

Sunday's episode looked at the rise of Sub sandwiches in the fast-food market, profiling the people behind Subway and the Blimpie Sub franchise.

Blimpie was actually the first sub sandwich franchise to break out on a regional level, but Subway surpassed them to become the biggest on a national level.

One of the co-founders of Subway started with a $1,000 investment. When he died, he was worth over $2-Billion.
I forgot all about Blimpie Subs...I used to love those when they first came out. Apparently there's one in something called Gaylord, MN. I didn't know they still existed. Next time I find myself in Gaylord, MN I'll have to stop in for one....so probably never, which is too bad.

Thanks, I didn't realize it's on Amazon Prime. Thought the only option was Paramount+.

From what I saw, you still have to get Paramount+, but it's only $1 a month for the first two months through prime. Then it rises to $9.99 in month 3. But maybe Bayfieldgopher knows something I don't.

I don't know if anyone else is still sticking with "The Walking Dead," which is now in its last season.

at this point, I'm watching it almost out of obligation - I've stuck with it this long, so I might as well stick around for the end.

But the episodes in the Commonwealth have really been a slog. The episode Sunday night - in my humble opinion - stunk.

I'm ready for this show to be done.

I don't know if anyone else is still sticking with "The Walking Dead," which is now in its last season.

at this point, I'm watching it almost out of obligation - I've stuck with it this long, so I might as well stick around for the end.

But the episodes in the Commonwealth have really been a slog. The episode Sunday night - in my humble opinion - stunk.

I'm with you. I am struggling through it. I record it and almost find it a chore to watch. The writing has been abysmal for several seasons. Too bad since it was such a good show for years.

I always find this stuff by accident, flipping through channels. I loved the first episode: fun and well paced, well edited, well acted.

You beat me to it. I enjoyed episode 1 as well. John C Reilly is great as Jerry Buss, Quincy Isaiah looks just like a young Magic, and Norm Nixon is played by his son.

Interesting that Will Ferrell wanted to play Buss, but Adam McKay chose Reilly instead, and they had a huge falling out over it despite all of the work they've done together.

You beat me to it. I enjoyed episode 1 as well. John C Reilly is great as Jerry Buss, Quincy Isaiah looks just like a young Magic, and Norm Nixon is played by his son.

Interesting that Will Ferrell wanted to play Buss, but Adam McKay chose Reilly instead, and they had a huge falling out over it despite all of the work they've done together.
I didn't know that last part!

I just read about that. I haven't watched an episode yet, but I think he made the right decision for this part. Besides, you don't f**k with Dewey Cox.

Speaking of this Lakers show (looking forward to it), there have been a bunch of these "docudramas" that have popped up.

Pam & Tommy was already mentioned. Hulu has another one "The Dropout" about the Theranos founder. First episode was pretty good ... if she's really like that in real life, kinda cringe to watch at times!

I'm with you. I am struggling through it. I record it and almost find it a chore to watch. The writing has been abysmal for several seasons. Too bad since it was such a good show for years.
I watched every season when the episodes were new until the beginning of this one. The first episode of this season I found myself looking more at my phone than watching. Started the second episode and didn't recall what happened in the first since I wasn't paying attention the previous week. Haven't watched one since. It is really too bad, I always looked forward to my Sunday night show before, but it just got boring/old.

I'm actually surprised a lot of you kept up with The Walking Dead this long. Once they got into fighting with about the 3rd group of people it became clear it was going to be the same thing every season with different villains and I tuned out. First few seasons were great but they needed to bring it a different direction instead of the same thing with different bad dudes.

and yet, the folks at AMC have already announced a spin-off series focusing on Daryl and Carol, and another spin-off series with......get this......Negan and Maggie surviving walkers in New York City.

Not to mention that they are still talking about the alleged series of TV movies explaining what happened to Rick Grimes after Jadis handed him over to the mysterious helicopter people.

the show must still be getting ratings to justify all this content.

and yet, the folks at AMC have already announced a spin-off series focusing on Daryl and Carol, and another spin-off series with......get this......Negan and Maggie surviving walkers in New York City.

Not to mention that they are still talking about the alleged series of TV movies explaining what happened to Rick Grimes after Jadis handed him over to the mysterious helicopter people.

the show must still be getting ratings to justify all this content.
What about the zombies? Where are the zombies?

Same. I've enjoyed Fear the Walking Dead more the past season or two.

Raised By Wolves on HBOMax. I may have mentioned this during the first season....it's absolutely wild. Wild to the point of campiness....in a good way. If you are a fan of Ridley Scott (who produces it) and/or futuristic sci-fi/dystopian stuff....this should be right up your alley. I'd liken the tone to that of Blade Runner.....but rather than in a technologically advanced city....it's on a wasteland planet.

as the resident Marvel/comic book guy here -

"Moon Knight" is now showing on Disney+. releasing one episode a week on Wednesdays - believe it's a six-episode show.

first episode was great. a different tone for Marvel. more grounded, fewer jokes.

hard to talk about plot without spoilers, but I will say that the lead character has Dissociative Identity disorder (formerly known as multiple personality disorder).

Oscar Isaac is clearly having a lot of fun playing a character who is not sure what is going on due to memory gaps when another personality takes over his body.

as the resident Marvel/comic book guy here -

"Moon Knight" is now showing on Disney+. releasing one episode a week on Wednesdays - believe it's a six-episode show.

first episode was great. a different tone for Marvel. more grounded, fewer jokes.

hard to talk about plot without spoilers, but I will say that the lead character has Dissociative Identity disorder (formerly known as multiple personality disorder).

Oscar Isaac is clearly having a lot of fun playing a character who is not sure what is going on due to memory gaps when another personality takes over his body.
I enjoyed the fact that they didn't take any time trying to explain the back story. They just jumped in to the plot and let you try to figure out some stuff as you go.

Monday night, I watched the first part of the new Ken Burns documentary on Benjamin Franklin.

fairly standard Ken Burns material. Obviously, for Franklin, there are no photographs or film clips to use, so all the background images are paintings, drawings and maps, with some newer photos and re-creations of the various locations being discussed.

the first part covered Franklin's life up to the start of the Revolutionary War. Part II is on tonight (Tuesday).

I suppose the most interesting thing I learned was that Franklin had very close ties to England. he lived there for close to 15 years, acting as a representative of the Colonies. at one point, Franklin tried to talk his wife into moving to England permanently, but she refused. His wife did not accompany him to England, so they lived apart for long periods of time. According to the Doc, Franklin was a very late convert to the idea of Independence - only after the Boston Massacre and the Boston Tea Party. He had hoped that the Colonies could remain part of the British Empire.

Not trying to monopolize the board here, but just wanted to mention one more thing.

I've been watching this series on A-and-E: "Secrets of the Chippendales Murders."

It's a true-crime deal; wrapped up this week. It tells the story behind the creation of the Chippendales male-stripper revue. The guy who created Chippendales basically went bat-bleep crazy and hired a hit man to kill his former partner. He also tried to put out hits on two former dancers who started their own company, and tried to have two rival night clubs fire-bombed.

the series included actual tapes of FBI interviews with a confidential informant and one of the guys the owner tried to hire as a hit-man. It was just bleeping nuts. the hit man who killed the partner was a junkie who shot up in a restaurant bathroom before shooting the victim.

the owner wound up getting charged, but hanged himself in prison awaiting trial. But - the kicker - they couldn't find his money. they think the guy stashed millions of dollars somewhere overseas.

Moon Knight Episode 2 was just as good as Episode 1. Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke are both very good.

Watched Moon Knight Episode 3 yesterday. Some more action scenes and some hints of plot twists. Entertaining so far. I think this might have done fine as a movie but it affords a little breathing room as a series. A little more violent than other Disney/Marvel fare.

'Killing Eve' ended with a bang. The kind of bang you don't want to hear coming from your car while barreling down the freeway at 70mph.

What I am trying to say is that the final season was mostly a dud and it felt very rushed.

'Killing Eve' ended with a bang. The kind of bang you don't want to hear coming from your car while barreling down the freeway at 70mph.

What I am trying to say is that the final season was mostly a dud and it felt very rushed.
You mean Game of Thrones?

You see it again, and again, and again. Someone comes up with a great concept for a show. They put together a great cast and great writing for season 1. It crushes.

So ... you have to manufacture more of it. And it almost never works out.

You might have one or two, if you're really good a few, more solid seasons ... but eventually it just becomes the same thing over and over, and I feel like almost no one ever sticks a good landing.

You see it again, and again, and again. Someone comes up with a great concept for a show. They put together a great cast and great writing for season 1. It crushes.

So ... you have to manufacture more of it. And it almost never works out.

You might have one or two, if you're really good a few, more solid seasons ... but eventually it just becomes the same thing over and over, and I feel like almost no one ever sticks a good landing.
Hopefully that does not happen with Barry which is coming back to HBO this Sunday for Season 3. It's been delayed due to the pandemic since 2019.

I revisited Season 1 this weekend and was reminded just how fantastic it's been so for.

Top Bottom