All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

Bingeing my way thru Yellowstone season 4. So good.

Really enjoying Joe Pickett as well.

Last edited:

You ever get into watching something that's PROBABLY not that great but you just can't stop watching once you get started?

That's where me and the Mrs find ourselves with "In The Dark", a series you can find on Netflix (it originally ran on the CW I guess). There is nobody in it that you would recognize from anything else (at least not really that I recognize for the most part), and I'm not even sure it's really that good but it ran at least 3 seasons (there may be a 4th coming?) and here we are in the early stages of the 3rd season already.

It's entertaining enough to keep our interest, the lead character (Perry Mattfeld plays a blind woman), is moderately hot, and we just haven't been able to stop watching it. One of those where you want to binge it as quick as possible so you can just get done and see what happens.

I give it somewhere between 1 and 1.5 out of 2 thumbs up

since I seem to be the resident 'comic book' TV and movie fan:

Finished the "Hawkeye" series on Disney+.

My reaction - nothing ground-breaking but generally fun and entertaining. Main point of the series was to introduce the 'Kate Bishop' character into the MCU. (for non-comic fans, Kate Bishop is a member of the 'Young Avengers' team - basically a younger female version of Hawkeye.)

The series also introduced the MCU version of 'Echo', a female character from the comics who will be getting her own Disney+ series. In the comics, the character is deaf, and she is played by a deaf actress. And it brought Vincent D'Onofrio into the MCU as the Kingpin. (formerly played the character on a Marvel Netflix series.)

tone was decidedly humorous.

My reaction - nothing ground-breaking but generally fun and entertaining. Main point of the series was to introduce the 'Kate Bishop' character into the MCU. (for non-comic fans, Kate Bishop is a member of the 'Young Avengers' team - basically a younger female version of Hawkeye.)

The series also introduced the MCU version of 'Echo', a female character from the comics who will be getting her own Disney+ series. In the comics, the character is deaf, and she is played by a deaf actress. And it brought Vincent D'Onofrio into the MCU as the Kingpin. (formerly played the character on a Marvel Netflix series.)

It was much more light-hearted than the other Marvel serirs they've released.

Hailee Steinfeld does a good job. She's going to be a huge star as the new Hawkeye. She brings funny, charming, beauty, and enough badassery to make her character a future favorite.

Anyone watching the Dexter reboot? I’m actually really enjoying it. Forgot how much I missed Dexter.

Also going through Succession. Not generally my type of show but I’m finding it very compelling. About midway through season 3 and I hear the 2nd half is fantastic.

Don't forget Florence Pugh killing it again as Yelana Belova.

Anyone watching the Dexter reboot? I’m actually really enjoying it. Forgot how much I missed Dexter.

Also going through Succession. Not generally my type of show but I’m finding it very compelling. About midway through season 3 and I hear the 2nd half is fantastic.
Yes to both! Dexter has been very good this season. I’m impressed with how they’ve built a compelling storyline.

And I recently binged Succession and am fully caught up. Fantastic show. Only 1 bad episode in 3 seasons and Season 3 ends strong!

Go Gophers!!

I also finished the season 11 finale of Curb Your Enthusiasm tonight. Another awesome season.

Go Larry David!!
I enjoyed it as well. I am hoping there will be a season 12 in the future.

I also finished the season 11 finale of Curb Your Enthusiasm tonight. Another awesome season.

Go Larry David!!

Much like the previous season....the finale was probably the worst episode of the bunch. Seems like all (or most of) the season long situations brewing over the ten episode stretch are really funny. But the stretch to resolve them in the final episode ends with overly wacky scenes that just don't land.

Still....a really great season.

I enjoyed it as well. I am hoping there will be a season 12 in the future.

Heard from a friend that next season may be the last before LD hangs it up. No idea whether that is true or not....but he is getting up there in age.

Much like the previous season....the finale was probably the worst episode of the bunch. Seems like all (or most of) the season long situations brewing over the ten episode stretch are really funny. But the stretch to resolve them in the final episode ends with overly wacky scenes that just don't land.

Still....a really great season.
I disagree on the Spite Store season ender, that was one of my favorite Curb episodes, especially for a finale.

This recent finale I liked ok. I think the parody of Donald Impeachment #1 didn't land as well because Impeachment #2 makes Whistleblower seem like ancient history and a footnote.

Big fan of Mary Ferguson #4 (& Lily Collins).

Looking back, the best of Season 11 was the premiere. Hands down.

Watched 'Only Murders In The Building' over this past week. Had a feeling going in that it was going to be an unfunny cash grab with lazy jokes. I was wrong. While it is in no way high art....Steve Martin and Martin Short were both very funny. Some of the funniest moments involved nothing more than facial expression. Basically....they didn't rely on CBS laugh track "jokes". Also, I didn't even care much about the mystery aspect of the show much at all. It was just nice seeing Martin and Short showing that their comedic chops are still fully intact. Selena Gomez was good too. She was a key cog in the overarching story and playing off 70 year old comedians provided plenty of opportunities for laughs.

I'd very much recommend it if you are on the fence. It's on Hulu by the way.

Last edited:

Watched 'Only Murders In The Building' over this past week. Had a feeling going in that it was going to be an unfunny cash grab with lazy jokes. I was wrong. While it is in no way high art....Steve Martin and Martin Short were both very funny. Some of the funniest moments involved nothing more than facial expression. Basically....they didn't rely on CBS laugh track "jokes". Basically, I didn't even care much about the mystery aspect of the show much at all. It was just nice seeing Martin and Short showing that their comedic chops are still fully intact. Selena Gomez was good too. She was a key cog in the overarching story and playing off 70 year old comedians provided plenty of opportunities for laughs.

I'd very much recommend it if you are on the fence. It's on Hulu by the way.
I agree. Fun show.

So, I signed up for Netflix in December in order to watch the final season of "Lost in Space."

since I had paid for the month, I decided to go back and re-watch all 3 seasons of "Daredevil." That was by far the best of the Netflix Marvel shows. I know Charlie Cox (Matt Murdock/Daredevil) did a cameo in the new Spider-Man movie, and he will supposedly appear in the new "She-Hulk" series on Disney+. the thing is, the darker and more violent tone of the Netflix shows will not transfer well to the more family-friendly tone of Disney+, so it will be interesting to see how they handle those characters.

on another topic, watched the 1st episode of "The Book of Boba Fett" on Disney+. not what I expected. (spoiler alert). Most of the episode was a flash-back to show how Boba got out of the Sarlacc Pit after the events of "The Return of the Jedi." the present-day stuff covers Boba trying to take over from Jabba the Hutt as the new crime boss on Tatooine.

very much of a slow start to the season. we'll see where it goes from here.

I disagree on the Spite Store season ender, that was one of my favorite Curb episodes, especially for a finale.

This recent finale I liked ok. I think the parody of Donald Impeachment #1 didn't land as well because Impeachment #2 makes Whistleblower seem like ancient history and a footnote.

Big fan of Mary Ferguson #4 (& Lily Collins).

Looking back, the best of Season 11 was the premiere. Hands down.

I'm with you on the Spite Store season ender. I still think this season's best episode was the watermelon episode with Woody Harrelson.

You ever get into watching something that's PROBABLY not that great but you just can't stop watching once you get started?

That's where me and the Mrs find ourselves with "In The Dark", a series you can find on Netflix (it originally ran on the CW I guess). There is nobody in it that you would recognize from anything else (at least not really that I recognize for the most part), and I'm not even sure it's really that good but it ran at least 3 seasons (there may be a 4th coming?) and here we are in the early stages of the 3rd season already.

It's entertaining enough to keep our interest, the lead character (Perry Mattfeld plays a blind woman), is moderately hot, and we just haven't been able to stop watching it. One of those where you want to binge it as quick as possible so you can just get done and see what happens.

I give it somewhere between 1 and 1.5 out of 2 thumbs up
"You". Embarrassed that I watched it all to this point, but I feel the same with the show "You".

So, I signed up for Netflix in December in order to watch the final season of "Lost in Space."

since I had paid for the month, I decided to go back and re-watch all 3 seasons of "Daredevil." That was by far the best of the Netflix Marvel shows. I know Charlie Cox (Matt Murdock/Daredevil) did a cameo in the new Spider-Man movie, and he will supposedly appear in the new "She-Hulk" series on Disney+. the thing is, the darker and more violent tone of the Netflix shows will not transfer well to the more family-friendly tone of Disney+, so it will be interesting to see how they handle those characters.

on another topic, watched the 1st episode of "The Book of Boba Fett" on Disney+. not what I expected. (spoiler alert). Most of the episode was a flash-back to show how Boba got out of the Sarlacc Pit after the events of "The Return of the Jedi." the present-day stuff covers Boba trying to take over from Jabba the Hutt as the new crime boss on Tatooine.

very much of a slow start to the season. we'll see where it goes from here.
Best Marvel show by far.

I've never been a big "Doctor Who" fan. caught a few episodes when Sci-Fi channel was showing re-runs in 2006.

But, the other night, I came across a youtube channel where some guy had done a complete history of Doctor Who, going through each Doctor in turn. Being retired, with plenty of time on my hands, I watched the whole thing, and it was fairly interesting.

Anyone out there watch the show?

High praise for both 'Station Eleven' (HBOMax) and 'Yellowjackets' (Showtime).

Watched the first few free episodes of 1883 and it’s really good. Will probably wait until the rest of the season is all out before signing up for a month of Paramount+ for the rest of the episodes.

If you’re looking for a simple comedy, Abbot Elementary is solid. It’s filmed in similar fashion as The Office.

The Book of Bobba Fett is a snoozer.

it's not a big action movie. it's more of a character study, which just happens to be set in the 'Star Wars' universe. But, from that perspective, I'm enjoying it. I like Temuera Morrison as Boba and Ming-Na Wen is a lot of fun as Fennec.

plus, we got Danny Trejo as a Rancor handler.

Except for the Beard episode. That was a terrible episode by any standards.
Yes! That was so bizarre. Didn't feel like it belonged at all. It was apparently an extra episode they had to make since Apple ordered a few extra episodes in season 2. That episode has the lowest rating by far on IMDB.

Top Bottom