All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

Didn't watch Yellowstone season premier last night. Am going to record the season and then binge. Something to look forward to. Same with Seal Team.

Last edited:

Didn't watch Yellowstone season premier last night. Am going to record the season and then binge. Something to look forward to. Same with Seal Team.
Just started on season 1 yesterday. Think I'm on episode 7
That is one dysfunctional family.

Squid Games is doing a season 2.

Not sure how I feel about that. Guess I'll know when I watch it.

Anyone going to give the Mayor if Kingstown on Apple with Jeremy Renner a whirl?

So, I watched the first episode of the Beatles Documentary "Get Back," that is running on Disney+.

quick background - in 1969, the Beatles started rehearsals for a new album. The sessions were filmed for a movie that was released as "Let it Be" in 1970. But there were hours of footage shot that was not used in the movie.

So recently, director Peter Jackson (of the Lord of the Rings movies) was given permission to take the footage and turn it into a documentary. "Get Back" is now streaming on Disney+. It's in three parts and each part is about 2-1/2 hours.

Have to say, I think it is mostly of interest to Beatles fanatics and music buffs. A lot of footage of the Beatles trying to work out new material in rehearsal. Some of it is just screwing around, but you do get to hear bits of them working out songs that would become "Let it Be," "Get Back" and other songs like "Maxwell's Silver Hammer." Also a lot of discussion about a proposed live concert, and material showing tension in the group, with McCartney arguing with George Harrison while Lennon makes snarky comments. (spoiler alert - Harrison walks out near the end of the episode and says he's quitting the band...)

IMHO it would have benefitted from some editing. parts of it really dragged for me. I'll probably watch the rest of it, but it's not what I expected.

So, I watched the first episode of the Beatles Documentary "Get Back," that is running on Disney+.

quick background - in 1969, the Beatles started rehearsals for a new album. The sessions were filmed for a movie that was released as "Let it Be" in 1970. But there were hours of footage shot that was not used in the movie.

So recently, director Peter Jackson (of the Lord of the Rings movies) was given permission to take the footage and turn it into a documentary. "Get Back" is now streaming on Disney+. It's in three parts and each part is about 2-1/2 hours.

Have to say, I think it is mostly of interest to Beatles fanatics and music buffs. A lot of footage of the Beatles trying to work out new material in rehearsal. Some of it is just screwing around, but you do get to hear bits of them working out songs that would become "Let it Be," "Get Back" and other songs like "Maxwell's Silver Hammer." Also a lot of discussion about a proposed live concert, and material showing tension in the group, with McCartney arguing with George Harrison while Lennon makes snarky comments. (spoiler alert - Harrison walks out near the end of the episode and says he's quitting the band...)

IMHO it would have benefitted from some editing. parts of it really dragged for me. I'll probably watch the rest of it, but it's not what I expected.
I like the fact that it wasn't done in a "history lesson" fashion. He let the days unfold and since I am a Beatles Freak...I could watch 20 hours of it.

Watching Paul work through a song was incredible. Watching John and Paul play with joy together was even better. I still have part 3 to watch. Most likely tonight.

I like the fact that it wasn't done in a "history lesson" fashion. He let the days unfold and since I am a Beatles Freak...I could watch 20 hours of it.

Watching Paul work through a song was incredible. Watching John and Paul play with joy together was even better. I still have part 3 to watch. Most likely tonight.
SON’s review is pretty spot on. I watched part 1 and either Jackson wants us to believe Paul is a jerk or Paul is a jerk.

Honestly, I don't think it's so much that "Paul is a jerk." I got the feeling that Paul, and to a lesser extent Ringo, were more focused on "The Beatles" as a group, while Lennon was clearly more focused on Yoko and George just looked bored, like he wanted to go off and do his own thing. Even Ringo had his side projects including acting roles.

So, from that perspective, Paul seemed to be the one trying hardest to keep the group together, which makes him look bossy by comparison.

It's basically the chronicle of a band that was heading for a breakup.

On another topic - I dropped Netflix when I signed up for the Disney+ bundle, but I signed back up just so that I could watch the final season of "Lost in Space."

I had watched the first two seasons and said bleep it, it was worth $13 to see how it ends. watched the first episode Friday night. The kid who plays Will Robinson has grown about a foot since they started the series - always a challenge with child actors.

and this version of the Robot is just freakin' cool.

George is my favorite- which I could have seen him in concert.

sawPaul at Yankee Stadium when they opened it up - it was the second live concert there and Paul played for 2.5 hours- only concert I’ve ever been to where you could but fruit- imagine it’s because of Paul’s vegetarianism.

Watched a teaser trailer for a new show coming to HBO and HBO Max. It's a scripted version of a non-fiction book on the Showtime Lakers era in the NBA. This could be fun or it could be a train wreck. They have actors playing Magic Johnson, Kareem, and other key players.

John C. Reilly is playing Lakers owner Jerry Buss, and based on the teaser, playing him rather broadly.
some of the casting seems.......interesting. Adrien Brody as Pat Reilly? and Norm Nixon is being played by Norm Nixon's son.

Someone who gets HBO has to watch this and report back.

Watched a teaser trailer for a new show coming to HBO and HBO Max. It's a scripted version of a non-fiction book on the Showtime Lakers era in the NBA. This could be fun or it could be a train wreck. They have actors playing Magic Johnson, Kareem, and other key players.

John C. Reilly is playing Lakers owner Jerry Buss, and based on the teaser, playing him rather broadly.
some of the casting seems.......interesting. Adrien Brody as Pat Reilly? and Norm Nixon is being played by Norm Nixon's son.

Someone who gets HBO has to watch this and report back.
Seems funny/confusing that HBO has a program called "Showtime".

"Showtime" is on "HBO"?!? Huh? What's on 2nd?

Starting my rewatch of Witcher on Netflix before the new season later this week.

Also might have to do the same for Cobra Kai which launches a new season at the end of the year.

I highly recommend both shows.

lol.....Seal Team. But this is the way to watch television. Wait for the entire season to be out and then watch at your own leisure. Comedies like Curb and Always Sunny I still watch on a weekly basis whenever I have the time....but once Game of Thrones ended....I think I probably closed the door on appointment viewing television shows.

When it comes back, I think HBO"s Barry is appointment viewing worthy.

Yeah....that show is really good. I still think I would debate holding off for the entire season. The GoT prequel is another tricky one. Problem is that if it becomes gigantic like the original....you might end up having to dodge spoilers.

Rolled through the 3rd season of Narcos Mexico. Very good just like every other season.

After Ep 8, I declare Liv Ullman Curb MVP for this season.

Someone tell me I should care that there is going to be a season 6 of Billions.

Unless it's going to be a complete reboot, which it obviously won't ... I don't know.

Prince is a good character, but it won't be the same without Axe.

Wendy's character doesn't seem to have much growth left either, unless they can do something with her and Taylor.

Honestly, I don't think it's so much that "Paul is a jerk." I got the feeling that Paul, and to a lesser extent Ringo, were more focused on "The Beatles" as a group, while Lennon was clearly more focused on Yoko and George just looked bored, like he wanted to go off and do his own thing. Even Ringo had his side projects including acting roles.

So, from that perspective, Paul seemed to be the one trying hardest to keep the group together, which makes him look bossy by comparison.

It's basically the chronicle of a band that was heading for a breakup.
Also, John and Yoko were regular users of heroin during this time.

Last week the Ekornes stressless chair was delivered. Jury is still out on it being better than laying on a couch. Looks nice.

Top Bottom