All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

My wife & I both really like Sherlock on the BBC staring Benedict Cumberbatch & Martin Freeman. I'm pretty sure it's already been mentioned here, but worth another. First 3 series are excellent. Compelling crime stories but not violent like those other shows. Lots of comic relief. BC & MF are fantastic together.
Watched the first two seasons, back in the day, and they were quite good. I know they did a movie, but haven't seen it. Didn't know there was a third.

I assumed both actors blew up so much from this, that they moved on.

I didn't dig through 39 pages of the thread but anyone seen Norsemen on Netflix?

Got the recommendation from some people on my project, it sounds like a riot; Monty Python meets Game of Thrones, was one description I found on the net. Apparently it's far from PG-rated, looking forward to giving it a shot. I guess there are 3 seasons available right now.

The first couple seasons were great, one of my favorite shows. The 3rd season was pretty bad, not nearly as clever.

It's similar to a "What We Do in the Shadows" type of humor. Which I also love.

How To With John Wilson on HBO is a fun show. It's executive produced by Nathan Fielder from the awesome Nathan For You. That should give you an idea of the type of humour.

It's a lot like Joe Pera Talks With You on Adult Swim....which I highly recommend as well.

I haven't watched a ton of TV series but really enjoyed The Americans. Does anybody have any suggestions for a TV series that would be similar? Or somebody that enjoyed The Americans also enjoyed ______?

I haven't watched a ton of TV series but really enjoyed The Americans. Does anybody have any suggestions for a TV series that would be similar? Or somebody that enjoyed The Americans also enjoyed ______?

MIndhunter on Netflix digs into how the FBI started their behavior unit by interviewing serial killers - it doesn't get to gory, which interests me less and less, as I mature gracefully(?), bur rather on psychology of the serials.

Excellent acting and writing IMO - great reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Only two seasons, so far, breezed though the first season and now into season two.

Finished Season 2 of "The Mandalorian" on Christmas Eve.

Disclaimer -if you're not a Star Wars person, this may not be for you.

But if you like Star Wars, it is worth watching. And the real Star Wars die-hards will love it. Lot of tie-ins and callbacks to "Return of the Jedi" and to the animated TV series - "Clone Wars" and "Rebels." I have not seen the animated shows, but they give enough exposition so you can figure out who's who even if you're coming into it cold.

Action scenes are well-done. And there is a big surprise in the final episode. Without getting into spoilers, this involves a classic Star Wars character who is brought back - but with CGI de-aging. (that is a whole 'nother discussion - still not a fan).

And unless you've been living under a rock, you know about the Baby Yoda character - who is really cute and is selling a ton of merchandising.

again, not the greatest show of all time, but definitely worth watching if you like sci-fi, or if you're a Star Wars fan.

How To With John Wilson on HBO is a fun show. It's executive produced by Nathan Fielder from the awesome Nathan For You. That should give you an idea of the type of humour.

It's a lot like Joe Pera Talks With You on Adult Swim....which I highly recommend as well.
Joe Pera rules! I was hoping he was going to have a new Christmas special this week.

Maybe it's been mentioned, but Ted Lasso. My wife and I started it today. Several hours later, we had watched all 10 first season episodes. Just a great show. Absolutely loved it.

We just finished watching the 36 episodes of Red Oaks on Prime.
Set in 1985-87. We both really enjoyed it. Caddyshack trades the golf clubs for tennis rackets and becomes a sitcom that didn't try too hard.
I was about two to three years younger than the main characters during that time and I thought they captured the 80's really well.
Easy binge worthy show for sure.

Set in 1985-87. We both really enjoyed it. Caddyshack trades the golf clubs for tennis rackets and becomes a sitcom that didn't try too hard.
I was about two to three years younger than the main characters during that time and I thought they captured the 80's really well.
Never heard of this (just like Fresh Meat). It looks great. Added to my list. Thanks!

MIndhunter on Netflix digs into how the FBI started their behavior unit by interviewing serial killers - it doesn't get to gory, which interests me less and less, as I mature gracefully(?), bur rather on psychology of the serials.

Excellent acting and writing IMO - great reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Only two seasons, so far, breezed though the first season and now into season two.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion NYC. We got around to watching Mindhunter last night and ended up watching the first four episodes. I think we are hooked. :)(y)

Hey, thanks for the suggestion NYC. We got around to watching Mindhunter last night and ended up watching the first four episodes. I think we are hooked. :)(y)

Glad you like it - I'm bummed that I burned through the first two seasons.

It's what Criminal Minds should've been. Mandy Patinkin left that show because of all the gore and that they didn't focus on the psychology of the serials enough.

I loved The Americans. Have you watched older classics like The Sopranos, Deadwood, Rome (if you like ancient history) or Battlestar Galactica (the remake from the early 2000's)? As far as new stuff, my favorite is Better Call Saul. I finished season one of Sneaky Pete, and it's really good.

We binge watched Season 3 of Cobra Kai this weekend, fantastic season, probably my favorite yet. For those that liked the original Karate Kid movies, this series is great. The writing is strong, great character development and the creative ways they bring back storylines from 30 years ago without it being cheesy is impressive.

Go Danielson!!

Thanks for the recommendation! I can't believe there is a tennis-based show I didn't know about.

Per your post, my wife and I started Season 1 and we really like it. We will chip away at it. It feels like a typical "coming of age 1980's style movie" which I love that era/genre.

Go Tennis Shows!!

I'm in to try it. I really don't watch any network broadcast shows any longer, bug Ted Danson and Holly Hunter - this could be good and hopefully a network version of Veep.

Just finished watching the first season of "Imposters" on Netflix; I believe it was originally on Bravo. Ran 2 seasons starting in 2016 (?).

We just took a flier on it and we like it a fair amount. It's not outstanding by any stretch but for a series that has no star power, it's pretty entertaining. Reviews are mixed but we've enjoyed it quite a bit. It doesn't take a ton of investment, especially if you go into it with modest expectations. We'll definitely plow through the second season. I think it only ran 2 seasons. I would definitely give it 1.5 thumbs up out of 2

Just finished the series finale of Fringe. What a great show. Glad that I can cross something off my list and move on to something new....but it's always kind of a bummer to watch the last episode of a really good show.

It doesn’t get great reviews but I enjoy The Right Stuff on Disney+ about the beginning of the space program.

I've recorded the first two episodes (don't even know how many there will be?) of "Tiger" on HBO. I wonder just how in depth they will go into the personal stuff. Even more importantly, does the show have Woods' blessing before they went with it? This is one of those situations where the producers clearly can go a number of different directions with how they want to portray Woods; the best golfer on the planet for 20+ years, cheating bastard, hyper-competitive, etc. Usually you can tell which they want to spin it in the first 10-20 minutes.

Anxious to see it, I'll have to carve out some time in the next week.

I've recorded the first two episodes (don't even know how many there will be?) of "Tiger" on HBO. I wonder just how in depth they will go into the personal stuff. Even more importantly, does the show have Woods' blessing before they went with it? This is one of those situations where the producers clearly can go a number of different directions with how they want to portray Woods; the best golfer on the planet for 20+ years, cheating bastard, hyper-competitive, etc. Usually you can tell which they want to spin it in the first 10-20 minutes.

Anxious to see it, I'll have to carve out some time in the next week.
Saw the first episode, haven't seen the second.

You can't possibly tell a story about Tiger and not focus at least some of the storytelling on the thing he was so great at and that made him a celebrity.

But, he basically had "done it all" by the time he was 25. The "Tiger Slam".

The story is over his whole life.

My understanding is that Woods' involvement in the production is like the opposite of Jordan's in the production of The Last Dance.

Last edited:

Finished Little Fires Everywhere on Hulu last night. One of the best "pure drama" shows I've seen, in recent memory. Powerful, engaging story. Great acting.

I call it a "pure drama", in the sense of something like This Is Us. It's just regular humans doing interesting, but not super-human in any sense, things. There's no fantasy, sci-fi, or anything extraordinary about any of the characters. No fighting or violence. Just a dramatic story about some humans.

I finished the 5 seasons of Ballers on HBO. I found the first 3.5 seasons pretty good, and would think many on here would enjoy it as well. The last 1.5 seasons were a bit harder to get through, but the last episode was a good way to wrap it up. It's entertaining.

Go Gophers!!

Just finished Red Oaks. I thought season 1 was really good. It was funny and did the 80's well without overdoing it. I finished it all because they weren't too many, but the 2nd and 3rd season were hard to get through. I thought it really turned into too much of a drama and lost the feel of season one. A decent investment of time, didn't take long, but a little disappointing.

I loved Paul Reiser and Nasser (the guy who played Amir on Schitt's Creek). Those two were the best part throughout.

Speaking of Paul Resier, he is a side character in another short lived sitcom, Married. Two seasons and I think it's still on Hulu. Nat Faxon and Judy Greer are the main couple and it is funny and way too real. Reiser, Jenny Slate, and others are in it as well. My wife loved it too, and she is hard to please with TV shows.

Just finished Red Oaks. I thought season 1 was really good. It was funny and did the 80's well without overdoing it. I finished it all because they weren't too many, but the 2nd and 3rd season were hard to get through. I thought it really turned into too much of a drama and lost the feel of season one. A decent investment of time, didn't take long, but a little disappointing.

I loved Paul Reiser and Nasser (the guy who played Amir on Schitt's Creek). Those two were the best part throughout.

Speaking of Paul Resier, he is a side character in another short lived sitcom, Married. Two seasons and I think it's still on Hulu. Nat Faxon and Judy Greer are the main couple and it is funny and way too real. Reiser, Jenny Slate, and others are in it as well. My wife loved it too, and she is hard to please with TV shows.
I was bummed when Married got canceled. Every character was funny.

Top Bottom