All Things "Top 5" Thread (Movies, TV Shows, Cities, Countries, Actors, Beers, Restaurants, Athletes, Sporting Events etc.)

1. The Midnight Sun. The earth is getting closer to the sun...or is it?
2. Two. Only two people left on earth. Plus, Elizabeth Montgomery.
3. It's a Good Life. Horrible child with mental powers.
4. Five Characters in Search of an Exit. Toys are trapped in a bucket.
5. A Game of Pool. Minnesota Fats vs. Quincy.
"It's a Good Life" is the best ever. But both of you missed "Living Doll" and "A Kind of a Stopwatch"

Top 5 Trailer Park Boys Episodes:

1. Season 3, Episode 6 - Where in the F*ck is Randy's Barbeque?
2. Season 4, Episode 3 - The F*ckin' Way She Goes
3. Season 6 Episode 2 - Cheeseburger Picnic
4. Season 1 Episode 2 - F*ck Community College, Let's get Drunk and Eat Chicken Fingers
5. Season 2 Episode 7 - The Bare Pimp Project

I just realized that in my post....that I called The Ocean.....The Ocean Song. I was already thinking about The Rain Song. ?

Anyways......Top Five Favourite Comedy TV Shows (live action - not cartoons)

1. Curb Your Enthusiasm
2. Always Sunny in Philadelphia
3. Arrested Development
4. Community
5. Parks and Recreation

Honourable mentions for 30 Rock, Veep, and Vice Principals

Wanted to point out how underrated Community was. Dan Harmon is more famous for Rick and Morty these days....but Community was such a great show.

Excellent timing!!! Netflix just added Community! I've been meaning to re-watch the series.

On a related note. Busting through Schitt's Creek. Very good. Far better than the sitcoms on basic networks (minus NBC).

Top 5 Trailer Park Boys Episodes:

1. Season 3, Episode 6 - Where in the F*ck is Randy's Barbeque?
2. Season 4, Episode 3 - The F*ckin' Way She Goes
3. Season 6 Episode 2 - Cheeseburger Picnic
4. Season 1 Episode 2 - F*ck Community College, Let's get Drunk and Eat Chicken Fingers
5. Season 2 Episode 7 - The Bare Pimp Project
Oh man. I need time to consider this.
How about every single one of them for top five?

Top 5 Favorite Sci-Fi Movies

1) Aliens (1986)

2) Robocop (original)

3) Jurassic Park (1st)

4) The Terminator (1st)

5) The Thing (1982)

4 of 5 of these are eighties movies. Considering some other very good eighties Sci-Fi movies I cut from the list (Road Warrior, Blade Runner, Total Recall), I realized that the eighties really must be the greatest decade for sci-fi films.

Two other eighties movies deserve special mention: the beloved Back to the Future (I) and the comedy cult classic Repo Man (1984). Although both of these had Sci-Fi elements, I don't think I can characterize comedies as Sci-Fi (although one could argue that Robocop was half comedy).
Man, I just cannot put Robocop in with the others, I know many would agree with you, love the rest. I would substitute the Matrix for robocop and keep the order.

I see a trend. A good trend.
missing Eyes Wide Shut, which to me gets more and more fascinating when you delve into all the symbolism and hidden messages throughout, and the conspiracy theories surrounding the death of Kubrick

Good points, Kramer vs Kramer especially. It was a critics' darling from the get go, but it was nowhere near as ambitious and timeless as Apocalypse Now.

One where I disagree vehemently: Titanic. It's one of the great films of all time, not just the best of that year. It gets better each time I see it. One amazing and underappreciated aspect is its historical accuracy. So many of the events depicted actually happened exactly as filmed--including the men who dressed in their dinner jackets and top hats to go down with the ship in a dignified manner. The list of true-to-life characters dwarfs the list of fictional characters.
It's also easy to forget that Titanic is 23 years old when you watch it. The special effects/production value were top notch.

has anyone done top 5 horror?

1) Halloween
2) Exorcist
3) Psycho
4) Shining
5) Hereditary

Oh man. I need time to consider this.
How about every single one of them for top five?

No kidding. I was thinking of putting seasons 2 - 6 as my "Top 5". One of the greatest shows ever created.

missing Eyes Wide Shut, which to me gets more and more fascinating when you delve into all the symbolism and hidden messages throughout, and the conspiracy theories surrounding the death of Kubrick
I'd love to see what the movie was supposed to be before Warner Bros starting editing scenes. At least that is the rumor as you stated. Kubrick dies and then the movie is altered. Might have to give that one another watch.

No kidding. I was thinking of putting seasons 2 - 6 as my "Top 5". One of the greatest shows ever created.
Yep. I think I forgot about it when I did a top five sitcom list. I'm now ashamed of myself. Mr. Lahey was one of the greats of all-time.

I haven't given the cartoon a try yet. You?

It's my third favorite Kubrick film. It's best if you have a study guide of occult symbols and rituals as well as a copy of Ovid's "Art of Love" handy.

I'd love to see what the movie was supposed to be before Warner Bros starting editing scenes. At least that is the rumor as you stated. Kubrick dies and then the movie is altered. Might have to give that one another watch.
This guy has a ton of Kubrick analysis videos, and at least 5-6 on Eyes Wide Shut. This is kind of an overview, but this movie just gets deeper and deeper the more you dig in.

1. The Midnight Sun. The earth is getting closer to the sun...or is it?
2. Two. Only two people left on earth. Plus, Elizabeth Montgomery.
3. It's a Good Life. Horrible child with mental powers.
4. Five Characters in Search of an Exit. Toys are trapped in a bucket.
5. A Game of Pool. Minnesota Fats vs. Quincy.

it really bugs me that every time SyFy channel has a Twilight Zone marathon, they always show the same episodes.

Top 5 50's Sci-Fi movies (not saying "the best" - more personal favorites)
1. Earth vs the Flying Saucers
2. Forbidden Planet
3. The Thing from another world (James "Matt Dillon" Arness as the monster...)
4. The Day the Earth Stood still (Klaatu Barada Nikto)
5. This Island Earth

Top 5 movies with stop-motion animation by Ray Harryhausen
1. Jason and the Argonauts
2. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
3. It came from Beneath the Sea
4. 20 Million Miles to Earth
5. Clash of the Titans

(Harryhausen worked on Mighty Joe Young, but under the supervision of Willis O'Brien)

Top 5 Twilight Zone episodes (I could easily make this a top 10)
1. Time Enough at last. A bookworm survives a nuclear war and thinks he will have time to read.
2. Eye of the Beholder. A disfigured woman undergoes a final operation to make her look 'normal.'
3. The Invader. An elderly woman, alone in her house, battles strange alien creatures.
4. Little Girl Lost. A young girl becomes lost inside the walls of her house. (basic idea borrowed for
the movie Poltergeist.)
5. The Howling Man. A man visits a monastery where a prisoner pleads to be released.
(honorable mention)
6. Nightmare at 20,000 Feet. William Shatner freaks out when he thinks he sees a gremlin on the wing
of an airplane.

Futurama parodied the Twilight Zone with their version called 'The Scary Door'. Time Enough at Last was one of the episodes they parodied. Nightmare at 20,000 Feet got one too. The intros were always really funny.

This guy has a ton of Kubrick analysis videos, and at least 5-6 on Eyes Wide Shut. This is kind of an overview, but this movie just gets deeper and deeper the more you dig in.
Cool-Thanks.

Top Five Iconic Pro Golf Shots of my lifetime:

1. Tiger at 16 in the 2005 Masters, leading Chris DiMarco by one shot at the time and DiMarco in birdie position.

2. Bubba Watson on the 2nd playoff at #10 in the 2012 Masters.

3. Tom Watson on #17 at Pebble Beach at the 1982 US Open

4. Phil Mickelson on #13 at Augusta in the 2010 Masters

5. Jack Nicklaus on #17 at Augusta in the 1986 Masters

Honorable Mentions:

Louis Oosthuisen on #2 at Augusta in the 2012 Masters

Tom Watson on #18 at the 2009 British Open

Top 5 Twilight Zone episodes (I could easily make this a top 10)
1. Time Enough at last. A bookworm survives a nuclear war and thinks he will have time to read.
2. Eye of the Beholder. A disfigured woman undergoes a final operation to make her look 'normal.'
3. The Invader. An elderly woman, alone in her house, battles strange alien creatures.
4. Little Girl Lost. A young girl becomes lost inside the walls of her house. (basic idea borrowed for
the movie Poltergeist.)
5. The Howling Man. A man visits a monastery where a prisoner pleads to be released.
(honorable mention)
6. Nightmare at 20,000 Feet. William Shatner freaks out when he thinks he sees a gremlin on the wing
of an airplane.
I get a little too geeked up when there is a Twilight Zone marathon on TV.

I get a little too geeked up when there is a Twilight Zone marathon on TV.
That's been our New Year's Eve ritual for years: have some friends over, watch the marathon, play games, concoct drinks, and before you know it, it's midnight.

Top 5 Simpson's Episodes:

1. You Don't Make Friends With Salad
2. Baseball episode (lots of MLB cameos)
3. Monorail
4. Lisa Goes to Washington
5. Mr. Plow

Go SImpsons!!
chili cookoff is my favorite. homer's spirit quest spoke to 18yo me.

top 5 chuck norris movies

1. lone wolf mcquade
2. an eye for an eye
3. missing in action
4. the delta force
5. breaker! breaker!

Top 5 Episodes of Star Trek (The Original Series)
1. The City on the Edge of Forever (Mc Coy goes back in time and changes history; Kirk and Spock have
to try and make things right)
2. Amok Time (Spock has to return to Vulcan to be married)
3. Where No Man has gone Before (2nd pilot)
4. The Menagerie (2-part episode incorporating footage from the 1st pilot)
5. Space Seed (introduction of Khan- returned as villain of movie The Wrath of Khan)
(honorable mention)
6. The Trouble with Tribbles

Top 5 Episodes of Star Trek (The Original Series)
1. The City on the Edge of Forever (Mc Coy goes back in time and changes history; Kirk and Spock have
to try and make things right)
2. Amok Time (Spock has to return to Vulcan to be married)
3. Where No Man has gone Before (2nd pilot)
4. The Menagerie (2-part episode incorporating footage from the 1st pilot)
5. Space Seed (introduction of Khan- returned as villain of movie The Wrath of Khan)
(honorable mention)
6. The Trouble with Tribbles
I've had drafts of this post since this thread was born, but I've never been able to pick just 5.

Top 5 Autobiographies:

1. Open, by Andre Agassi
2. Days of Grace, by Arthur Ashe
3. Black Like Me, by John Howard Griffin
4. Diary of Anne Frank, by Anne Frank
5. When Breath Becomes Air, by Paul Kalanithi

Go Gophers!!

I've had drafts of this post since this thread was born, but I've never been able to pick just 5.
Arena, Mirror Mirror,Let that be Your Last Battlefield, all deserve a look.

DS9s In th Pale Moonlight is the best Trek episode ever.

Top 5 Football Movies:

1. Brian's Song
2. The Longest Yard
3. Rudy
4. North Dallas Forty
5. All the Right Moves

Arena, Mirror Mirror,Let that be Your Last Battlefield, all deserve a look.

DS9s In th Pale Moonlight is the best Trek episode ever.
The Naked Time, Balance of Terror, The Doomsday Machine, Journey to Babel...it's too much.

Top Bottom