All Things "Top 5" Thread (Movies, TV Shows, Cities, Countries, Actors, Beers, Restaurants, Athletes, Sporting Events etc.)

Top Five Rolling Stones songs:

1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. Sympathy for the Devil
3. Give me Shelter
4. Winter
5. Moonlight Mile

Good list. As a Stones fan, I feel compelled to do one myself.

1) Midnight Rambler
2) Sympathy for the Devil
3) You Can't Always Get What You Want
4) Monkey Man
5) Rip this Joint

Honorable Mention: Since the Rolling Stones were one of the best country blues bands of all time (underappreciated today since most of that stuff came before 1970), I have to pick one of those songs. I'll go with High and Dry (from Aftermath).

top 5 low-budget cheesy Monster movies.
1. The Giant Claw (google this and watch the trailer....)
2. The Deadly Mantis
3. Tarantula (Clint Eastwood plays a fighter pilot near the end of the movie)
4. The Blob (one of Steve McQueen's first starring roles)
5. The Tingler

You could almost have a sub-category of that one: like really low-rent and bargain basement cheesy Monster and Sci-Fi movies. A couple of Ed Wood's movies might fit in there. These would be the films that aren't quite good enough to fit in the above category.

I recently replied to a tweet asking for an artist that's not necessarily cool but that you love nonetheless. Mine was Billy Joel. The Stranger, 52nd Street, and Glass Houses is as good a three-album stretch as anyone ever.

Not to mention the records preceeding them: Streetlife Serenade and Turnstiles. Wife was watching (I think it was) This Is Us the other night, and the episode featured "Summer, Highland Falls" from Turnstiles. It could be that these older recordings are being rediscovered by a new generation. And Streetlife Serenade is a briliant, overlooked album.
I just could not get into 52nd Street or Glass Houses like I did The Stranger. I hate "Just the Way You Are" & "Everybody Has a Dream". They're trite BS songs that don't fit the rest of the album. That's how I felt about all of 52nd Street & Glass Houses. I have a more extreme view of Billy Joel's albums than any other artist. I love The Stranger but hate basically everything else. Maybe I'll have to give another listen based on your comments.

I just could not get into 52nd Street or Glass Houses like I did The Stranger. I hate "Just the Way You Are" & "Everybody Has a Dream". They're trite BS songs that don't fit the rest of the album. That's how I felt about all of 52nd Street & Glass Houses. I have a more extreme view of Billy Joel's albums than any other artist. I love The Stranger but hate basically everything else. Maybe I'll have to give another listen based on your comments.
You're not alone. A guy I went to college with loved The Stranger and 52nd Street but detested Glass Houses, which he thought was a sellout. I told him that he just didn't take it for what it's worth, which is a fantastic guitar-driven pop album.

Maybe go back and check out Streetlife Serenade and Turnstiles. And if you haven't given Songs in the Attic a listen, highly recommended. Make sure to read the liner notes.

top 5 music videos
1.genesis - land of confusion

2.korn - freak on a leash

3.jamiroquai - virtual insanity

4.tool - prison sex

5.gotye - somebody that i used to know

Top 5 habits I've picked up by staying at home.

1. Resting my face on my hand
2. Itching my face
3. Itching my nose
4. Rubbing my eyes
5. Touching my lips

I've done this drinking game before: Drink every time Mitch from the movie Dazed and Confused touches his face. You will be drinking a lot. Or you can lesson it a bit by only using his nose, hair, etc..
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8msT2oXUAEBBz6.jpg
I constantly touch my face as well. There is no way I will be able to fix this 100%.

top 5 british television shows

1.spaced
2.the thin blue line
3.fawlty towers
4.are you being served
5.little britain

Top 5 Songs About MN Part 2:

1. Great MN funk, even if he spells Jucy wrong

2. Classic

3. Maybe a bit of a stretch, but I always took it in part to be that he didn't really like MN and 4th Street runs through Dinkytown.

4. Another stretch but a fun little bubblegum pop diddy

5. This song is more goofy than good but loaded with fun name drops including "bleed maroon & gold for our beloved Golden Gophers".

top 5 personal favorite Bob Dylan Songs
1. Desolation Row
2. Visions of Johanna
3. Lonesome death of Hattie Carroll
4. Brownsville Girl
5. Joey

(obviously, I like the long story songs. BTW - Dylan dropped an unreleased song on Twitter. it's about the JFK assassination - and it's almost 17 minutes long. only Bob would even thing about doing something like that.)

And since someone brought it up
Top 5 Edward Wood, Jr Movies
1. Plan 9 from Outer Space
2. Bride of the Monster
3. Glen or Glenda
4. Jail Bait
5. The Violent years (screenwriter only - did not direct)

And since someone brought it up
Top 5 Edward Wood, Jr Movies
1. Plan 9 from Outer Space
2. Bride of the Monster
3. Glen or Glenda
4. Jail Bait
5. The Violent years (screenwriter only - did not direct)

I think Bride of the Monster is my favorite - mostly because of the rubbery octopus and octopus stock footage along with Tor Johnson as the man servant, Lobo. Of course, Plan 9 does have Tor, Vampira, the cardboard graveyard, the fill-in for the dead Lugosi who keeps his arm in front of his face so people won't recognize he's not Lugosi, and the aliens who look like everyday humans dressed in silk pajamas.

Five great "light" movies

1. The Way Way Back
2. The Truman Show
3. La La Land
4. Stranger than Fiction
5. Up in the Air

Actually 6. Pleasantville

Five great "dark" Movies:

1. Goodfellas
2. LA Confidential
3. American History X
4. Boyz N the Hood
5. Rear Window

Five great "light" movies

1. The Way Way Back
2. The Truman Show
3. La La Land
4. Stranger than Fiction
5. Up in the Air

Actually 6. Pleasantville
I still use Pleasantville and The Truman Show for a film analysis project.

I'd add Adventureland 2009 to your list.

Those were two I always wanted to use. My kids are too young though. That's awesome.

Top 5 Minnesota Athletes

1. Kirby
2. Bobby
3. TC
4. KG
5. Straight Cash Homey

Go Gophers!!

Top Five Vikings team most likely to win it all (post 1980):

1. 1987. This team was loaded and got hurt by the strike. Look what Washington did to Denver. I guarantee they would have won had they beaten Washington. The NFC crushed the AFC like 15 straight years. All the late '80's teams were really really good, but the top of the NFC was so dominant back then, the Vikings teams were all just a step below.

2. 2009. The Saints went on to win the SB. I'd say 90% the Vikings would have too. Another awesome team. What could have been.

3. 1998. How are they not #1? Well, they certainly should have beaten the Falcons and at least made the SB. The difference is the Broncos were dominant that year too. We would have also been going into that game with serious injury issues. Best team I've seen and most excruciating of all the losses. But I'd put winning the SB over the Broncos at 50-50.

4. 2017. Such a fun year. I think they had a 50-50 chance to beat the Patriots as well considering the Eagles won. Plus it was in our home stadium (maybe this should actually be #3...). But this team just wasn't as good as 1998, so I'll keep them here.

5. 2000. Easily the worst team. They didn't even look good at the end of the year, getting blown out by the Rams, Packers, and Colts. But they totally lucked into the right draw getting the Saints and Giants. They could have made it, but I would have given them about a 20% chance to beat the Ravens.

Top 5 Personal favorite Hitchcock movies
1. North by Northwest
2. Vertigo
3. Rear Window
4. The 39 Steps
5. The Lady Vanishes

Top 5 KFAN Quotes:
  1. What'dya shoot today?
  2. Where'dya hit it on one?
  3. How far from the green were you?
  4. Then what?
  5. Incredible!
Honorable Mention
  • You know how reporters and columnists are. They want the controversy! They want the negativity!
  • Welcome back to the spotlight, young man!
  • Put Cousins on ice; I've seen enough.
  • And he's looooose!
  • Nooooorrrrrrrrvvvvvvvvv!!!!!!!

5 Favorite Gangster Movies (in no particular order)

Godfather Part II
The Long Good Friday
Goodfellas
Donnie Brasco
Reservoir Dogs

Last one cut: The Killing (1956 Kubrick)

5 Favorite Cop Movies

1) The French Connection

(The rest in no particular order)
In the Heat of the Night
Training Day
The New Centurions
The Untouchables

One of my all time favorites, Robocop (the original), technically is more of a sci-fi action picture than a cop picture

5 Favorite Gangster Movies (in no particular order)

Godfather Part II
The Long Good Friday
Goodfellas
Donnie Brasco
Reservoir Dogs

Last one cut: The Killing (1956 Kubrick)

5 Favorite Cop Movies

1) The French Connection

(The rest in no particular order)
In the Heat of the Night
Training Day
The New Centurions
The Untouchables

One of my all time favorites, Robocop (the original), technically is more of a sci-fi action picture than a cop picture

Not familiar with The Long Good Friday. Have to watch it.

Top 5 Songs About MN Part 2:

1. Great MN funk, even if he spells Jucy wrong

2. Classic

3. Maybe a bit of a stretch, but I always took it in part to be that he didn't really like MN and 4th Street runs through Dinkytown.

4. Another stretch but a fun little bubblegum pop diddy

5. This song is more goofy than good but loaded with fun name drops including "bleed maroon & gold for our beloved Golden Gophers".
Top 5 songs, part 2? Isn't that like The New Originals in Spinal Tap? ;)

Seriously, I'd put "Say Shh" right at the very tip top of the list.

Top 5 KFAN Quotes:
  1. What'dya shoot today?
  2. Where'dya hit it on one?
  3. How far from the green were you?
  4. Then what?
  5. Incredible!
Honorable Mention
  • You know how reporters and columnists are. They want the controversy! They want the negativity!
  • Welcome back to the spotlight, young man!
  • Put Cousins on ice; I've seen enough.
  • And he's looooose!
  • Nooooorrrrrrrrvvvvvvvvv!!!!!!!
Don't forget about Common saying "He's making more on me, than me, and I'm me"

Not familiar with The Long Good Friday. Have to watch it.

It's a 1980 British film with Bob Hoskins in the lead where he is trying to set up a major deal with US gangsters. Unfortunately for him, his outfit inadvertently runs afoul of the IRA at the same time and they don't forgive and forget.

Hoskins gives a riveting performance. Unfortunately, like many British films, you have to struggle a bit to understand the dialog for about the first 15 minutes or so. The film also includes Pierce Brosnan in a very early small part as an Irish assassin.

Last edited:

Top Bottom