All things TCU

Not excited to face Boykin and TCU right off the bat this year. I think TCU could have beat OSU if they were in the Tournament, but not sure they would have beaten 'Bama. The only way the Gophs have a chance in this one is too keep it close and hope the ball bounces their way late in the 4th. With a very good Secondary, it's always a possibility- but I don't see our Offense doing anything at all. Cobb and Maxx have too big of shoes to fill and I don't see it getting figured out against the #2 team in the nation in our first game.

That said- this game should be a GOLD out!

I truly believe TCU will take a step back this year. Question is, will the Gophers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm curious how patterson teams typically handle true power rushing attacks.
They just don't see that type of offense in the BIG12 and really didn't from us last year either.
Any history of beating bruising rushing teams besides the obvious wisky rose bowl?
I see nugget really hammering that defense early and often.

Like Sauce said, we typically shut down any form of major running attack for the most part. Teams that get chunks of yards on us on the ground typically have us on our heals because of their deep ball threat, fatigue or I've noticed break big 60yd or 70yd runs on a broken play. Nobody ever marches down the field on us using 4 or 5 yard runs play after play.
I think thats what took Ohio St to the next level last year was their quality deep ball, fast WR's and balanced running. I realize the planets alligned and Mich St beat Baylor the last quarter of that game, but if you go to the ESPN box score and look at those stats Baylors freshman WR's ate those 1st round CB's for lunch. A primary run team would never win the Big 12. If your defense is off a few Saturdays, you'll find yourself down 17pts in a hurry and can't waist time on 8 minute running drives catching up. Oklahoma changed to the hurry up this offseason, Texas did, Saban did at Bama. The faster your offense "scores or punts" the more plays a game your defense will see the field in a season. Thats why a Big 12 / Hurry up team will never lead the country in defensive stats. But the top 3 defense teams in our league are not as bad a brand of defense as people want to believe.

TCU Fans, does the media keep pretty tight lipped about injuries down there? Haven't heard much regarding injuring but saw some speculation on guys like Pierson, Tuaua and Gray. Got any updates for us?

TCU Fans, does the media keep pretty tight lipped about injuries down there? Haven't heard much regarding injuring but saw some speculation on guys like Pierson, Tuaua and Gray. Got any updates for us?

. . . and Doctson and some DB's. Probably hard to tell with what is being shared kind of like our health status with Keith, Ndondo Lay, Plsek, Edwards, etc.

In regards to offseason, Coach P is Mr. Smoke and Mirrors. I think we've had a couple key guys get banged up (Doctson, Tuaua, Pierson), but I fully expect all of them to be ready come game time. We've so far been very fortunate and our only actual season-long loss was Cam Echols-Luper transferring to Arky State to play QB.

I'm curious how patterson teams typically handle true power rushing attacks.
They just don't see that type of offense in the BIG12 and really didn't from us last year either.
Any history of beating bruising rushing teams besides the obvious wisky rose bowl?
I see nugget really hammering that defense early and often.

Somebody else already mentioned Michigan State and LSU.

They held their own vs a Clemson team with CJ Spiller and JaCoby Fordhttp://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=292690228
Air Force Academy prior to Big XII were no slouch at running the ball either.

This is somewhat of a bipolar conversation between some of the irrationally exuberant and the perma-bearish fans.

TCU played us tough last year, but we've seen worse defeats. We witnessed 27 rushes for 30 yards vs Iowa in 2013. We saw 19 carries for 4, yes 4, yards in 2012 vs Michigan State. There are others...Iowa...again.

The real story last year was the turnovers, mostly on Mitch and the o-line; poor first down production and predictable play calling, and essentially the offense in general. Name something and that was a problem. Mitch will be better, the coaches will be better, and the game will be closer. Odds are we lose, because TCU is likely to still be really good.

Regarding the previous post, LSU defeated TCU, rushing for something like 4.5 ypc and amassing close too 500 yards total offense.
Michigan State was not a juggernaut offense in 2012 and did pull out the game vs TCU in the 4th quarter by running the ball (if I recall).
Air Force had decent success running the ball on a YPC basis, even when TCU knew they weren't going to be passing.

They can be beaten if the balls bounce just right and the team shows up to play.

TCU can be beat by being a balanced offense, they thrive on taking something away, usaually the run and making you one dimensional. If they can stop you with their front 6 they can be extremely difficult to throw against. If we can force them to play 7 or 8 in the box the passing lanes will open up. Their apparent starters at CB are 5'10" with some taller backups so our taller WR could give them some problems especially if the have to play one or both of their taller safetys in run support. It'll come down to the OL creating some creases in the run game and pass protection. Leidner needs to make quick decsions and get the ball out of his hands.

Nate Wozniak, Melvin Holland, Jones, Rashad Still (?) could all have coming out parties. Maybe Jerry Gibson will be a celebrity here Sept 4. Maybe Rod Smith. Maybe Wolitarsky will show up in a big way and throw his weight around. Maybe Gentry and Jones if they can get out of the MASH truck. Maybe Streveler will come in and rip it up on the zone read. I'd actually really like to see him get to some play, maybe in the "wildcat". Maybe he's ready to play at H-back. Kid is dynamite with the ball in his hands, and he runs with a head of steam.

It's a real dead horse, but I really hope they have some plays drawn up to keep Mitch comfortable and the defense guessing for a half-step.

The team won't want to be embarrassed again. I have a feeling they are going to play their balls off. Claeyes is going to coach his balls off. Limegrover:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v-UycJ70D4Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If they take the run away by stacking the box- thus opening up passing lanes-does anyone on here actually believe Mitch is going to make them pay with his arm? If they take the run away- Gophers are done. They only way we have a chance in this game is to run the ball effectively. We are hearing the exact same things about Leidner's growth this off season as we did last. I'm not buying it until I see it. Losing our 2 best offensive players to the NFL means some other players are going to have to step up big time. Our defense will be better than last year, but our offense will not be as effective- especially right out of the gate.

I believe he can. Offensive line needs to protect, receivers need to catch, Mitch needs to be accurate, and get the ball out fast on some quick hitters. Slow developing plays were a problem. TCU is absolutely going to try and take away the run and pressure Leidner. How can we counter that? Can #35 get the tough 3-5 yards and break the first tackles on the run plays? Le'veon Bell was a beast in the second half of the MSU TCU bowl game. We will need that kind of running out of him.

It's possible all those things happen. It's also possible they stone us for 1 yard gains on first down.

The strength of Patterson's 4-2-5 is shutting down the run. It is a very rare occasion for anyone to have a good amount of rushing success against this D. The weak spot is the deep ball, since normally there is only 1 safety back playing center field, vs. A 4-3/Tampa 2 where you've got 2.

So basically you play 8 in the box?

Otherwise it seems counterintuitive that a nickel defense is stronger against the run.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="http://t.co/NpCf4Z9Azr">http://t.co/NpCf4Z9Azr</a>…
TCU dynamic Wide Outs will not be close to full strength vs Gophers Secondary.</p>— Greg Flugaur (@flugempire) <a href="https://twitter.com/flugempire/status/636696832303693824">August 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="http://t.co/NpCf4Z9Azr">http://t.co/NpCf4Z9Azr</a>…
TCU dynamic Wide Outs will not be close to full strength vs Gophers Secondary.</p>— Greg Flugaur (@flugempire) <a href="https://twitter.com/flugempire/status/636696832303693824">August 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Misleading tweet. Doctson is fine, I would guess Gray is about 80%ish, Kolby Listenbee is 100%. And then you at Emmanuel Porter, Ty Slanina, JuJuan Story, etc etc etc. We be aight.

So basically you play 8 in the box?

Otherwise it seems counterintuitive that a nickel defense is stronger against the run.

Somewhat. You've got a Free Safety that plays center field, then a Weak and Strong Safety that are more like hybrid safety/linebacker types... Fast athletic guys who can cover in the slot and lay the wood on the run.

Misleading tweet. Doctson is fine, I would guess Gray is about 80%ish, Kolby Listenbee is 100%. And then you at Emmanuel Porter, Ty Slanina, JuJuan Story, etc etc etc. We be aight.

So the tweet is about Patterson saying Gray is doubtful for the Gopher game, but you say he's 80%. Hmmm ok then....

So the tweet is about Patterson saying Gray is doubtful for the Gopher game, but you say he's 80%. Hmmm ok then....

Yep that's what I'm saying. I know Coach P, and if he's being himself, theni wouldn't be surprised to see Gray play. He's a dynamic player and fast as hell, but he's not one of our top two guys and we have an embarrassment of riches at WR.

How I think this game will progress in the first half. From what I gather TCU has to replace some outstanding linebackers that were there last year. Looking at the gopher bowl game last year in the first half, Leidner got off to a quick start and a great 1st half by throwing short quick hitters. I would expect that Minnesota will try that same type of game plan, keeping those linebackers honest in the run game. Minnesota's defense in the first half will be all it's been advertised to be. Minnesota will score against TCU on a couple of sustained drives and maybe one on a quick hitter or a pic 6. Meanwhile TCU will have some difficultly moving the ball but will score with two big plays as Minnesota's defense, while very solid, will blow the pass coverage a couple of times and TCU will take advantage of it. Half time score MN 21 TCU 14. Second half is anyone's guess.

Game rosters will be somewhat more clear on Tuesday but I still expect some obfuscation. The TCU defense requires the safeties to make reads and call coverages look for last second shifts to try and complicate the calls. I'd bet JJ plays in the slot with a lot of motion.

Most of the better gainers last year came with 4 receiver sets. Spread them out and it can open the run and pass. If they play off coverage again that needs to be taken advantage of. A big strong back like Williams can break arm tackles, with fewer defenders in the box and go for a nice gain.

I'd like to see Maye, JJ, Wolitarsky, and Holland when we go 4 wide. When the TCU safeties are allowed to play near the box they can get in to stone the run in a hurry because their front four are so good and clog it up and spill it out.

I agree with nsmike. Hoping to see JJ come in motion early and often and receive the hand off. Need to get the ball into the hands of our best players and it is time to see if JJ is that. Would open up holes for Rodrick up the middle, Leidner on the keeper, and make play action more effective. I don't think we ran much of the jet motion or jet sweeps against them last season, granted we were down early, so it could be a wrinkle that works effectively (KJ Maye had 0 rushing attempts against TCU last year).

I agree with nsmike. Hoping to see JJ come in motion early and often and receive the hand off. Need to get the ball into the hands of our best players and it is time to see if JJ is that. Would open up holes for Rodrick up the middle, Leidner on the keeper, and make play action more effective. I don't think we ran much of the jet motion or jet sweeps against them last season, granted we were down early, so it could be a wrinkle that works effectively (KJ Maye had 0 rushing attempts against TCU last year).

Kind of thinking the jet sweep probably doesn't work too well against TCU with all of the speed and athleticism they have on the field. I could be wrong though.

Kind of thinking the jet sweep probably doesn't work too well against TCU with all of the speed and athleticism they have on the field. I could be wrong though.
I completely understand what you are saying, and you may be 100% correct. They have a fast, athletic defense who can move sideline to sideline. I just fear that if we try running with only Leidner and the RB, they can stack the middle and keep our offense at bay. If we bring JJ in motion frequently, this would at least prevent them from putting 12 guys in the center of the field. Yes, that was a slight exaggeration but still..... If JJ is as good as advertised, then hopefully he can beat an outside linebacker or two (guessing that is who would be responsible for covering the jet sweep) on the outside and break a few big runs.

I understand your view. I think the jet sweep and the threat of it does stress the D, even fast defenses, if the person running the jet has speed. Thus, I think KJ is a better option and we should motion him often behind Mitch. I'm excited to see JJ and hope he's healthy and ready to go next week, but from what I saw of him in the UA game, his most significant value is in space, not necessarily out running folks. Anyone else have some insight?

I understand your view. I think the jet sweep and the threat of it does stress the D, even fast defenses, if the person running the jet has speed. Thus, I think KJ is a better option and we should motion him often behind Mitch. I'm excited to see JJ and hope he's healthy and ready to go next week, but from what I saw of him in the UA game, his most significant value is in space, not necessarily out running folks. Anyone else have some insight?

Their scheme plays into it too, which I admit I don't know enough about. For example, we play a defense where our DE's are split out wide and attack off the snap so it is tough to run a jet sweep against us and we rarely even see teams try. Iowa's DE's are closer to the middle and don't attack off the snap, which is why Maye had such a field day against them.

Their scheme plays into it too, which I admit I don't know enough about. For example, we play a defense where our DE's are split out wide and attack off the snap so it is tough to run a jet sweep against us and we rarely even see teams try. Iowa's DE's are closer to the middle and don't attack off the snap, which is why Maye had such a field day against them.
Excellent points! So, you're saying actual knowledge of Xs and Os should be used in play-calling? Not just something casual fans on GH saw in another game that worked? Interesting. Hey, I saw a fumblerooski work once. I hope Limegrover is reading...

Top Bottom