All things TCU

So I never actually saw the TCU/Baylor game last year, only highlights. I watched it a few nights ago just as a fan and man that was a crazy game. What tripped me out the most was just how many bombs both teams were throwing. Forget dinking and dunking, both teams took shot after shot downfield and put constant pressure on the DBs to cover deep balls and despite this both teams kept getting behind guys. The QBs threw some beautiful passes too. Still from a MN perspective I'm less concerned with TCU going bombs away on us than gashing us in between the tackles as we try to keep everything in front of us. That said TCU's speed on the outside is just goofy with 3-4 guys that can flat out get behind a secondary. I know this is nothing new but its been some months since I really watched a CFB game and it was a bit startling even though I don't think there's much to read into it from a MN perspective because I don't think they'll attack us the same way they did Baylor nor will we play them the same way Baylor did (constantly pressing WRs even after getting burned).

Outsiders' perspective on the team after watching our games from last year, from Reddit CFB: https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/3j3bdz/minnesota_fans_ive_now_watched_the_last_13_games/

That's a good read, thanks for posting. Thought this part was interesting...

"The safeties are another story, extremely frustrating to watch. #2 S Thompson and #3 S Wells would make for a great highlight reel, tons of exciting and game-changing turnovers. But in the more quotidian role of being in position to cut off a big gain, they were just incredibly unreliable. Poor communication and often out of position, and frequently I'd see the corners yelling at them after a big play. Thompson was worse in this regard, but Wells got me especially angry when he came off the bench to get in a fight and in a later game was ejected entirely properly for targeting. In a strange twist, both have left for the NFL, and I actually liked their backups, #7 S Travis and #11 S Johnson, quite a bit better in their extensive reps, so it's entirely possible this unit actually gets better."

per ESPN's "Week Ahead" for Big Ten:

Minnesota takes another swing at TCU

The Gophers will start their season in the spotlight as well, hosting No. 2 TCU on Thursday night. The Horned Frogs are a popular pick to land in the playoffs at the end of the season, but Minnesota is their stiffest nonconference challenge. Preseason all-Big Ten cornerbacks Eric Murray and Briean Boddy-Calhoun will have their hands full against Heisman candidate Trevone Boykin and one of the country’s most potent passing attacks.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/122710/the-week-ahead-in-the-big-ten

Go Gophers!!

Picking up our tickets, parking pass, and getting a haircut on Wednesday. Then I'll be ready. Only 3 days!

Game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...o_pdf/2015-16/release/release_20150831aaa.pdf

Interesting piece on games at TCF by temp at kickoff; we're 10-5 in games with temps above 60 at kickoff, and 14-14 in games below 60. Of course, a number of those warmer games are against G5 teams. If the current forecast holds, this will be the 3rd hottest game at kickoff in stadium history (behind only UNLV 2013 and New Mexico State 2011).

Star Telegram: Inside the TCU-Minnesota matchup

Did you know?

TCUcoach Gary Patterson and Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill are close. Kill was in the wedding party when Patterson married his wife Kelsey.

TCU co-offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie called the plays for a Texas Tech team that beat Minnesota 34-31 in the 2012 Meineke Car Care Bowl. The Red Raiders rolled up 429 yards in that game.

Minnesota coach Jerry Kill received a contract extension earlier this month and is now signed through the 2019 season.

TCU is 10-4 in season openers under Gary Patterson.
Streaking

TCU has scored at least 30 points in 15 consecutive games.

The Frogs will be hard-pressed to top last season, as they opened the first five games with touchdown drives on their first possession.

TCU has had at least one interception and one sack for 15 consecutive games, the longest streak in the nation.
Texas ties

The Gophers have 10 Texans on their roster, including sophomore linebacker Everett Williams from Mansfield Legacy. He played in eight games, starting one, as a freshman

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/college-confidential-blog/article32973969.html

Go Gophers!!

per BTN:

TCU at Minnesota – 9 p.m. ET, Thursday (ESPN)
Two wins over Nebraska and a Little Brown Jug victory last year at Michigan were sweet. But Jerry Kill is still looking for a signature win. This would be it. The Horned Frogs are No. 2 in the AP poll, a favorite to reach the playoffs and maybe win the whole shooting match. TCU ripped the Golden Gophers last year in Fort Worth, 30-7. Maybe Kill can payback ol’ buddy Gary Patterson in the Twin Cities. If Minnesota wins, it probably will have to be a low-scoring game.

http://btn.com/2015/09/01/week-1-big-ten-previews-so-many-enticing-matchups-in-opening-week/

Go Gophers!!

Oregon fan on Reddit CFB breaks down TCU (after doing Minnesota yesterday): https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/3j85w2/tcu_fans_ive_now_watched_the_last_13_games_and_i/

Very interesting take. Not worried at all about slot receiver or the D Line. Writer is spot on about the question marks being at LB and S. Which is why I'm glad the Frogs don't face WVU until Halloween and OU, OSU (these Os being the Oklahoma ones) and Baylor in November.

If Leidner can pick on our inexperienced secondary and keep the score low, the game gets scary for the Frogs. If the secondary is typical Patterson, I think the Frogs score 40.

Is it Thursday yet?

Very interesting take. Not worried at all about slot receiver or the D Line. Writer is spot on about the question marks being at LB and S. Which is why I'm glad the Frogs don't face WVU until Halloween and OU, OSU (these Os being the Oklahoma ones) and Baylor in November.

If Leidner can pick on our inexperienced secondary and keep the score low, the game gets scary for the Frogs. If the secondary is typical Patterson, I think the Frogs score 40.

Is it Thursday yet?

I'm a little amazed on how many TCU fans think they will put up 40+ on the Gophers. As has been well documented, even after 5 turnovers the Gophers only gave up 30 to TCU on the road last year. The Gophers also only gave up 31 to Ohio State. With most of the defense returning, and a secondary that matches up well with TCU's receivers, and an entire offseason to study TCU's offense, the Gophers aren't giving up 40.

I'm a little amazed on how many TCU fans think they will put up 40+ on the Gophers. As has been well documented, even after 5 turnovers the Gophers only gave up 30 to TCU on the road last year. The Gophers also only gave up 31 to Ohio State. With most of the defense returning, and a secondary that matches up well with TCU's receivers, and an entire offseason to study TCU's offense, the Gophers aren't giving up 40.

Its not surprising. They don't really respect MN's D. That said I don't blame them because to them it's MN and not a helmet school they should respect. Remember they put up 48 on Texas, 42 on Okie State, 40+ on Ole Miss and 80+ on Tech. In their mind if their offense plays well they SHOULD put up 40+ on anyone

I think most Frog fans would point out that last year's TCU-Minnesota game was the first time in history that TCU ran the spread offense against an FBS team.

The offense matured through the year as they learned the system and the 10 returning offensive starters and now-second year OCs have had a second spring, summer and fall camp in the new system to improve and install more elements of the new system. Add to that, Boykin is a senior and in his second year as starting QB and last year the Frogs averaged over 40 points per game. It's not really that unreasonable to expect improvement on offense, even for last year's #2 offense in the country.

Yeah, but if you look at what the Gopher D against TCU last year, they kept them to lowest point total, despite being given short field. They also didn't give up any 30+ yd plays (I guess there was one Boykin scramble for 34 yds according to the box score), which they tended to do against most of their opponents last season.

If the D plays that way on Thursday, keeping the ball in front of them and not giving up the big plays, all while the Gopher offense and special teams don't turnover the ball and win the field position game, I think that is something to build the season off of regardless of the final score.

I think most Frog fans would point out that last year's TCU-Minnesota game was the first time in history that TCU ran the spread offense against an FBS team.

The offense matured through the year as they learned the system and the 10 returning offensive starters and now-second year OCs have had a second spring, summer and fall camp in the new system to improve and install more elements of the new system. Add to that, Boykin is a senior and in his second year as starting QB and last year the Frogs averaged over 40 points per game. It's not really that unreasonable to expect improvement on offense, even for last year's #2 offense in the country.

All valid points, but in college football offenses tend to take while to hit their season stride. The old "team improves more from week 1 to week 2 than any other point in the season" theory bodes well for the Gophers to hold down TCU at bit.

I don't disagree, but the Gophers really had nothing on film to prepare for either. So yes TCU's offense was better at the end of the season, but now Claeys had an entire offseason and season of film to prepare for it. Claeys is one of the best D coordinators in college football, and a big reason for that is the amount of time he's spent in the offseason learning from Patterson. I really see those two factors canceling each other out. TCU may win the game, I'll bet the house they don't score 40.

Anyone know what time KFAN will broadcast the taped Gopher Football Weekly show they recorded today at Sensers?

When does the 2-Deep get published? I expected that by now. Did I miss it? Also, I would love a version that only lists the players initials and jersey number (I kid)

When does the 2-Deep get published? I expected that by now. Did I miss it? Also, I would love a version that only lists the players initials and jersey number (I kid)
In a bit of gamesmanship, I believe JK said early in camp that he wouldn't be providing one until the last minute. Lots of us want to know, but we may not get it until tomorrow or even game day. Inconvenient for the broadcasters, but if JK is looking for any edge he can get, I'm for it.

Top Bottom