All Things Stand Up Comedy

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
In America, you wipe with toilet paper. In Soviet Russia, the paper wipes out you!

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
Come see me and 8 of my friends try to entertain people for 90 minutes November 3rd at 7:00 at Stevie Ray's Comedy Cabaret at the Chanhassen Dinner Theater.

Doors at 6:30 - $5 cash

Only the price is cheap. The comedy - priceless.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
She was a blind seamstress who couldn’t mend straight.

kellyleeks

GH Hall of Fame '10
Reaction score
Yes or no, did you ever call Wren at his house & pretend to be Tim Brewster?

That still kills me.

As far as comedians go, it’s interesting to watch them strike back at the cancel culture. Latest Chapelle special is pure genius. Bill Burr just put out a good one too.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I've been meaning to update this thread, as I'm a big stand up fan.

We have a great "smallish" stand up bar in our neighborhood that gets some solid names, most shows are only $25-40 range. In the last 6 weeks at this club I've seen Kevin Nealon, Chris Kataan and Jon Lovitz.

Of this group, Nealon was far and away the best. He crushed his set, which was about 75 minutes, mixing in modern takes with a few SNL stories woven in. His opener was Kris Fox who was on the TV show Jury Duty and had some cameo's on Park & Rec and he was hilarious as well.

Chris Kattan was horrible. When he first came on stage there was literally an audible gasp by some in the crowd about how disheveled he looked and his material was so flat, basically trying to relive the SNL days. I felt bad for him. I was never a fan of him on SNL, but figured at $20 bucks and a bike ride away from home he was worth seeing.

Lovitz was also very good, albeit not as good as Nealon. But Lovitz is as vulgar as he is on the Comedy Central Roasts. He finished with some stories about his long friendship with Bob Sagot and then had a hilarious tribute song to Bob at the end which brought the crowd to its feet.

I've got tickets for some upcoming national headliner shows: Anthony Jeselnik, Nate Bargatze (one of my two favorites), Bill Burr, Gary Gulman, Mark Normand and Sebastian Maniscalco (my other top favorite).

I wish Tom Segura would come here but no upcoming dates. He's fantastic.

Go Gophers!!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
The new Ricky Gervais special on Netflix was very good, not quite as good as his last one, but he's flat out funny and not afraid to shock the crowd and no one is sparred.

Shane Gillis and Mike Birbiglia had solid specials as well recently on Netflix.

Go Gophers!!

tikited

Me
Reaction score
Going to see Jim Jeffries in Des Moines. He's my favorite.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I've been meaning to update this thread, as I'm a big stand up fan.

We have a great "smallish" stand up bar in our neighborhood that gets some solid names, most shows are only $25-40 range. In the last 6 weeks at this club I've seen Kevin Nealon, Chris Kataan and Jon Lovitz.

Of this group, Nealon was far and away the best. He crushed his set, which was about 75 minutes, mixing in modern takes with a few SNL stories woven in. His opener was Kris Fox who was on the TV show Jury Duty and had some cameo's on Park & Rec and he was hilarious as well.

Chris Kattan was horrible. When he first came on stage there was literally an audible gasp by some in the crowd about how disheveled he looked and his material was so flat, basically trying to relive the SNL days. I felt bad for him. I was never a fan of him on SNL, but figured at $20 bucks and a bike ride away from home he was worth seeing.

Lovitz was also very good, albeit not as good as Nealon. But Lovitz is as vulgar as he is on the Comedy Central Roasts. He finished with some stories about his long friendship with Bob Sagot and then had a hilarious tribute song to Bob at the end which brought the crowd to its feet.

I've got tickets for some upcoming national headliner shows: Anthony Jeselnik, Nate Bargatze (one of my two favorites), Bill Burr, Gary Gulman, Mark Normand and Sebastian Maniscalco (my other top favorite).

I wish Tom Segura would come here but no upcoming dates. He's fantastic.

Go Gophers!!
Nealon just naturally seems like he would be great.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
My wife and I are fans of Impractical Jokers so last year we saw Joe Gatto. It was pretty solid. Worth the time and money at a minimum.

Slim Tubby

Reaction score
George Carlin, Mitch Hedberg and Steven Wright have always been my style of humor. Rodney and Kennison never let me down, either.

Frink

Reaction score
I'll be seeing Brian Posehn at The Parkway Theater on the 16th. Should be a solid set. Maria Bamford will be at the Pantages in April. Also might check that out.

Frink

Reaction score
The Posehn show was even better than I hoped. He closed the set out with the true story of how he and his family were almost killed in a car accident interwoven with jokes about why David Lee Roth is superior to Sammy Hagar.

Top Bottom